Journey Begins

Submitted into Contest #176 in response to: Write a story told from the point of view of an animal.... view prompt

2 comments

Coming of Age Adventure Fantasy

Dawn rose over Frogville the way it always did. The mist and gloom of the swamp lightened, from pitch black to grey, and marsh birds began singing their morning songs from their nests. 

            Lily awoke, feeling strange and out of sorts as she stretched. Something seemed different today. Her bed seemed larger for some reason, and she was surrounded by moss. And why was her furniture so huge? Lily reached out a hand to rub her eyes and was confronted by a small, green palm and knobby digits. Lily let out a hoarse, croaking scream. She was a frog!

            The events from the night before came rushing back as Lily looked down at her new body. The curse that had changed her instead of her brother, the quest she would have to begin in order to return to her original form. A fly buzzed through the window and her tongue lashed out instinctively and caught it. Yes, she was well and truly a frog!

            “Good morning, my little froglet.” Lily’s parents had come to her room at the sound of her scream. Her brother Crocus trailed behind, looking sleepy. Her father, Nelum placed a small box on Lily’s bed and attempted a smile. “How are you feeling?” 

            “Strange.” Lily attempted to move her new limbs about carefully. “A little stiff. And dry.”

            “Soak in this water for a little bit.” Her mother, Ludwigia set a bowl of water on the bed. “You’ll need to be properly hydrated for your journey.”

            “You’ll be doing all your drinking through your skin now,” Nelum reminded her as Lily bent over the bowl to drink. Still struggling with the awkwardness of her limbs, Lily clambered into the bowl instead. “You’ll need to be careful as now you can dry out very quickly.”

            “Yes, Father,” Lily sighed with relief as she splashed in the bowl. Was it her imagination, or could she actually feel the water being soaked into her skin? She’d heard this speech many times as Nelum prepared Crocus for his quest. It seemed surreal to have him talking to her now. And why wouldn’t he? She was the one who was going on the quest now, while her brother was staying behind…

            “But just in case you can’t get to water, we have this cloak for you,” Ludwigia was speaking now. From her own box she pulled out a small, olive green cloak, and held it out to her daughter. It was a garment that Lily recognized and knew well, after all, she had helped her mother make it for Crocus, infusing it with spells to always fit the wearer and protect them from harm. The material was soft, almost slick like new leaves on the outside, but underneath like a cloak of damp moss, exuding moisture to keep the wearer hydrated. Lily knew it could retain its damp properties for at least a day, no matter the heat, but afterwards it would need to be soaked in a large water source. She saw Crocus watching her with a strange expression of pity? Relief? Envy? As she slipped the cloak on, felt the cool weight settle around her shoulders. 

            “It looks good on you Lils,” Crocus managed and he tried to smile. “Green is a good color on you.”

            Lily looked down at her new body, her bumpy arms and legs. “I’m all green now, you dolt,” she pointed out, trying to lighten the mood. Crocus laughed. A little. 

            “Anyway, I wanted to give you this…” He carefully placed a long, rectangular object on the bed, wrapped carefully in woven reeds. Curious, Lily hopped out of her bowl to open it. 

            Her throat constricted slightly as she pulled back the covering. It was Crocus’ beloved Splinter, the blade he had learned how to make and enchant for his quest. Slightly shorter than the average sword, it had a keen, razor-sharp straight edge, with a beautifully crafted handgrip, also made from woven reeds. 

            “I put this in last night,” Crocus held the sword out to his sister. A small Lily flower had been branded into the crossbar, right on the hilt. 

            Lily shook her head, looking at her brother’s treasured weapon. “Crocus, I can’t take this.” Crocus shrugged. 

            “Lils, I’m clearly not the one chosen for this quest, and it won’t do me any good here. Besides,” he added. “If I can’t see the outside world, at least Splinter can, and he can help keep you safe.”

            “But-” 

            “No buts, Lily.” Crocus looked serious. “You’re my sister, and you’re not going out on this quest without something to protect you. You are just as good at using a sword as I am…maybe better,” he muttered. 

            “Okay.” Lily said after a moment. She gently touched the hilt that Crocus held out to her.  It had been enchanted to adjust to the size of whoever was holding it and it immediately shrank down to frog-size. She tested the weight, the balance of the blade, trying a few experimental strikes. Crocus had a lot of talent as a weapon-maker, it felt like an extension of her arm. She sheathed Splinter, and buckled it across her back, over the cloak, feeling the added weight across her chest. “Thank you.” She said earnestly, meeting her twin’s eyes. “I’ll take good care of him for you.” 

            Crocus bobbed his head, looking slightly sheepish. “You’d better,” he murmured. “And you also better bring me back something from the trip.”

            Lily tried to raise an eyebrow, remembered she didn’t have those anymore. “We both know I can’t draw.” 

            Crocus shrugged. “Bring me back a rock or something then, I’m not going to complain.”

            “We have one more present for you, my little froglet,” Lily’s mother held out a large satchel. Like the other items Lily had been given, it was enchanted to shrink to the size of the wearer when touched. Inside was an enchanted flask to hold water, a sack of dried rations, a handful of stink spheres, some smoke tablets and a few artificial light tubes. Lily hefted the satchel strap over her shoulder, glad she knew how each and every item could be used. 

            “Thank you,” she repeated, looking into the faces of her family. Even though she hadn’t expected to be the one for the journey, they’d still done all they could to give her things to help on her quest. The warmth of their love felt like an extra cloak around her shoulders and warmed her heart. They loved her. Supported her. Believed in her.

            There was a bubbly feeling in her stomach. Excitement at the prospect of her journey. Sadness that she was leaving. Guilt…that she was going instead of Crocus. But while she was nervous to step outside the swamp where she had lived her whole life, she also felt…ready. For the adventure. 

            “Time to go, my little froglet,” her father said, scooping her gently up into his hands. “We need to be at the edge of the mist before the sun gets much higher.”

            “Wait, Nelum.” Ludwigia took her daughter and kissed her gently on top of her tiny head. “We’re so proud of you,” she whispered, looking a little teary, “we love you so much.”

            “Take down a dragon for me, sis,” Crocus tried to smile as Lily was gently placed in a special, moss-lined basket for her journey to the edge of the swamp.

            “Crocus, she shouldn’t be looking for any dragons,” Ludwigia scolded, as Nelum started to close the lid. Lily tried to get one last look at her beloved family’s faces before the lid came down. “Lily, find a nice safe prince to kiss,” were her mother’s last words, then she was enclosed in darkness.

* * *

            Lily remained flat and still in her basket, trying to keep her balance as the woven reeds under her feet were bounced and jolted constantly.

            She had been taken by her father to the edge of the forest where she was placed in a supply wagon, headed for the Royal Capital. Over the years, Frogville had struck up a small partnership with the merchants who passed by on the way to the city. In exchange for herbs and potions that could only be found in the swamp, the merchants would provide rides to the newly-transformed questers, taking them to where they would most likely find a royal person. 

            “While you’re in the city you need to look for a Prince Raymond,” Nelum had told his daughter before she was loaded in the wagon. “He’s known to be spoiled and a bit lazy, but he sometimes grants favors in exchange for tasks.”

            “So, do his chores and I get a kiss?” Lily shuddered. 

            Nelum shrugged. “They usually don’t ask for much. My great-great-uncle once had to retrieve a ball for one of the royal princesses. He also got to marry her,” he added, “though, I heard she was a bit of a simpleton.”

            “Did he love her?” Lily’s mind whirled, thinking of the stranger. Had they been wrong about the curse?

            “Heavens no!” Nelum chuckled. “He just wanted to get out of the swamp.”

            “Well, I have no intention of marrying Prince Raymond,” Lily said firmly. “I’m just going to get that kiss and come back.”

            Nelum kissed his daughter on the top of her head. “Be careful, my little froglet.” 

            “I will,” Lily promised as her father closed the lid-to protect her from the sun-and carefully placed her in the wagon. 

            “Let’s go, boys!” The wagon driver cracked his reins and the wagon surged forward, Lily bouncing and jouncing in her basket. She was finally on her way. 

~ Excerpt from Frogville, Quest for a Frog

December 09, 2022 16:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Wendy Kaminski
06:01 Dec 18, 2022

Cute excerpt! :)

Reply

Ruby Fink
02:27 Dec 19, 2022

thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.