Time Flower

Submitted into Contest #86 in response to: Write a story where flowers play a central role.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

The land of Majika, a land filled with magical creatures, big and small, and it is also home to brave and strong adventurers.


In the land of Majika, lies the valley of Bloom Town, a town located at the upper right of the land of Majika, just beyond Star Flake valley. And in this town of Bloom lies the Time Flower, a flower aging long before the town is built.


The Time Flower is the first sign that spring is over, it blooms on the very last day of snow time and blooms on the very first day of spring time. It signals the residents of Bloom Town that winter is over and spring is coming. The flower blooms every year to inform people that it is time to get back to work, every year it blooms, except this year.


"Mother Nurture! Mother Nurture! MOTHER NURTURE!!!" A man in a lab coat yells out as he dashes through the corridor and halls of what seems to be a castle. The castle is supported by giant roots and vines, acting as columns. "Mother Nurture!" The man in a lab coat continues to yell out as he starts knocking furiously on a door.


"What!? Who!? Where!?" A woman in pajamas opened the doors, knocking the man in a lab coat back. The woman was still dazed and her hair is all messy, showing that she has just woken up from her sleep.


"Mother Nurture, it's me! Time Watcher!"


"Time Watcher? What brings you here in my castle? In the middle of winter?" The woman, Mother Nurture, asks as she lets out a yawn, scratching her back with what seems to be a staff.


"That's the thing Mother Nurture, it's not the middle of winter! It's the first day of spring!" The man, Time Watcher, explained.


"First day of spring? What are you talking about? All this snow and you tell me that it's the first day of spring?" Mother Nurture asks as she opens up a window, revealing that heavy snow is falling from the sky. "You sure your watch isn't broken or something?"


"Mother Nurture! I'm the Time Watcher! I keep careful watch of the time! My watch isn't the problem! It's the Time Flower! It's not blooming!"


Hearing this, Mother Nurture was alarmed. "Not blooming? But the flower always blooms at the first day of spring!"


"It does! But this year it's not!"


"That's not normal is it?" There was a pause in their conversation as Mother Nurture started to think. "This is serious, if the Time Flower doesn't bloom then spring will never come! And who knows how that will affect the land of Bloom Town! Get me Cal and Jessie."


"Right away!" Time Watcher answered as he dashed out of the halls.


Cal and Jessie are Majika's finest and best adventurers, they always get the job done, big or small. And they were also Mother Nurture's closest friend, she trusts that the two can solve what's the reason behind the Time Flower's mysterious un-blooming.


Time Watcher did what he was told and he set off to Cal and Jessie's house, located at Majika's heart, the city of Majesto.


"Time Watcher! What brings you to our small yet humble home?" Cal welcomed Time Watcher as he watered his sister's flowers.


"Is that Time Watcher I hear?" Jessie asked from the kitchen, she was washing their breakfast dishes. Cal and Jessie are siblings, they're twins.


"Sure is! So, what brings you here?"


"Oh Jessie! Cal! A terrible problem is currently happening at Bloom Town! And we need your help! The Time Flower is supposed to bloom today! Yet not a single sign of blooming is happening!"


Time Watcher explained to the twins what was happening to Bloom Town and without any further delay, they made their way towards Bloom Town, towards the Time Flower.


"Ah! Twins! I'm so glad that you came at such a short notice!" Mother Nurture says as she welcomed the twins to Bloom Town, she was standing in front of the Time Flower, worried plastered on her face.


"After hearing that the Time Flower isn't blooming, we had to come as soon as possible." Cal stated as he got off of the Bloom Town sled.


"What's the cause of the Time Flower not blooming?" Jessie asked as she followed Cal, getting off the sled.


"Well, I had a little chat with the town elders and they say that the problem may lie in the flower's roots."


"Flower's roots?" Jewel asked as Mother Nurture tells them what she and the town elders have talked about.


"Yes."


"So we just dig the flower out and see if it has any infestation of some kind?"


"If easier said than done. If we were to pull out the flower's roots then the flower will die, unable to recover, making Bloom Town stuck in this winter state."


"Plus, the flower's roots are deep in the earth, it will be impossible for us to pull it out." One of the town elders added to what Mother Nurture told them.


"Then, how can we inspect the flower's roots?" Cal asked.


"Well, there is an entrance in Bloom Town Forest, and that entrance will lead you to a dungeon that will lead you to the flower's roots." The eldest elder answered Cal's question. "The dungeon entrance is located behind the forest waterfall."


"I see, well then Sis, looks like we're going dungeon diving!" Cal said to his sister.


"Dungeon diving we shall! Let's go!"


"Right! We'll be off to this dungeon entrance now and the Time Flower will soon be blooming again!" Cal says as he and his sister started going to the town forest, in search for the dungeon entrance. But, it was easier said than done.


"You found the entrance yet!?" Jewel asks as she gets out of the water, she was soaking wet from jumping at waterfalls.


"No! Not yet! Maybe this one has the entrance!" Cal yelled to his sister as he made a jump towards the waterfall, hoping that is has the entrance. "Nope! Not this one! It was another wall behind it!" Cal added as he got out of the water, soaking wet. The twins have been searching for the dungeon entrance for a while now, jumping towards waterfalls more times than they can count with their fingers on both their hands combined.


"We should have asked which waterfall contained the entrance!" Cal complained.


"We would've asked if we knew that Bloom Town Forest is home to many waterfalls. Let's keep looking, we'll find the entrance soon if we don't stop."


"Alright, alright, I hear you."


The twins returned to jumping at the waterfalls, trying their best to find the entrance. After a while of jumping blind at waterfalls, it was finally time for the last waterfall.


"Well, this is the last one, the entrance should be here. Shall we?" Jewel asked Cal as she got ready.


"We shall." Cal answered and the two of the started running towards the waterfall and that last waterfall indeed contained the entrance to the dungeon. "Of course, it had to be the last one we checked." Cal complained.


"Well don't complain, we finally found it. Now get up, we need to get to the flower's roots and see what's stopping it from blooming."


"Right behind you."


The twins started making way towards the deepest part of the dungeon, where according to the town elders, the roots of the time flower will be found. It wasn't an easy journey as the dungeon was filled with creatures, big and small. Mud ants, vanishing foxes, teeth stumps, vine snakes, and many more creatures were inside the dungeon.


If the twins weren't expert adventurers, they would have been knocked out, thankfully, the twin's are an expert. Cal with his sharp sword and Jessie with her gauntlets, they made their way to the deepest part of the cave with ease.


At the deepest part of the cave they found large vines and roots belonging to the time flower. The elders weren't joking when they said it will be impossible to pull out the time flower out of the ground, it's roots were huge!


"Well, here we are. The flower's roots."


"Right, let's find what's stopping the bloom of the time flower!"


The two split up to cover more ground, as the two investigated, everything looked normal, roots in their proper places, not a sign of any infestation to be found.


Cal finished his part and was on his way to his sister when his sister called him. "You found anything yet?"


"Come check this out!"


Cal started running as he doesn't want to miss what his sister want him to see. "What is it?"


"Vines aren't red and rubbery, right?" Jessie asked as she was looking at a red line.


"On my knowledge? No, they're not."


"Well this one is red and rubbery." Jessie added as she started following where the line was coming from and there they found a machine of some sort. "Woah."


"Yeah, woah is right. What is this machine?" Cal asked as he takes a closer inspection at it. The machine was of a metal box with buttons on one side and a vent on the other side letting out a purple smoke.


While Cal inspects the contraption, a figure comes out of the dark. "Ahh, the Morningfold twins, pleasure meeting the two of you here!" The figure stated, surprising Cal and Jessie. "I see you found my un-bloomer."


"Suit!" Cal yells out as he and his sister readied their weapons. "What are you doing here!?"


"Oh me? A businessman like me? What am I doing here? Well, doing business of course!" The figure, Suit, answered Cal's question.


"What business is it that you have to he down here!? And what is this un-bloomer!?" Jessie yelled out asking.


Suit lets out a laugh as he pulls out his cane. "Well, as you both know, I am the owner of Techno-Tech, Majika's biggest technology company! And I am looking for land to build my next company because the demands of the people are to much for a single company to exert! So! I am making a second company to meet the demands of the people! Hence, here I am."


"That doesn't answer my question. Why are you here and what is this un-bloomer!?"


"Jessie, darling. I answered your question already. One, I am here because I am planning to build my second company on the land of Bloom Town, and second, my un-bloomer is stopping the Time Flowers bloom!"


"Okay, but why!?"


"Well, recently I came to Mother Nurture with the intention of buying their land with a fair, if not, huge amount of money, but sadly, she declined. And you know me, I won't take a no for an answer. So, I built this here un-bloomer to stop the time flower's bloom, causing Bloom Town at constant snow! And it will cause the people to leave the place, therefore, I can finally buy the land! Ya'll dig it?"


"Okay, but why Bloom Town specifically?"


"What?"


"Why do you want to buy Bloom Town specifically and not any other place?"


"Oh, that's simple, because I did my research and Bloom Town isn't really serving any purpose to Majika, it's just there. So, I plan to buy the land and build my company/factory, that way, the land could be of use! Plus the land of Bloom Town gives a nice view of Majika. And besides, once this here flower here dies and I get to build my factory, everyone will forget about it in a few days or so because everyone will be too busy keeping their heads down using my technology!"


While Suit was explaining his plan and why he was in the dungeon, the ground started shaking.


"What's happening!?" Cal asks.


"Oh, did I mention that the purple smoke coming out of my un-bloomer is poisonous? But don't worry ya'll, it's not poisonous to us, it's just poisonous to plants. And that tremor means that it's working!"


"Wait, you're killing the Time Flower!?"


"Well of course I am! Weren't you listening to my plan? Were I stop the time flower from blooming, causing Bloom Town to be in constant snow and me stepping in and buying the land!"


"Not if we were to stop it!" Cal stated as he and Jessie readies their fighting stance.


"Awe, look at you two. Just like your mommy and daddy when they were young. Oh, am I going to enjoy defeating the Morningfolds one more time." Suit stated as he picks up his cane and there he pulls out a jousting lance. "En garde!"


"You got my back."


"And you got mine."


The twins say their family motto and started charging towards Suit. Suit avoids their attack and fights back. Although it's a two versus one fight, Suit has the upper hand as he has more years of experience in combat.


Cal's sword and Suit's spear clash against each other, Jessie was aiming to hit Suit at the back of his head with her gauntlets but she failed as Suit pulls a dirt move, grabbing smoke bombs in his pockets and throwing them into Jessie's eyes.


"Give it up you two! You are no match for me! Your parents failed to stop me! What makes you think that YOU have what it takes to stop me!?"


"We don't! But that doesn't mean that we won't try!" Cal answers Suit's question. While Suit was busy making fun of the two, Jessie finally got the smoke out of her eyes and does a move behind Suit's back.


"Going up!" Jessie yells as she hits the ground with her gauntlets, and the ground where Suit was standing on began cracking.


"What?" Suit mutters as he feels thr ground on his feet breaking. He looks down and therr he saw the ground breaks, causing him to fall in, trapping him.


"We don't have what it takes to stop you, but unlike you, we don't waste time saying monologues." Cal stated as Jessie walks over to the un-bloomer and smashes it with her gauntlets.


"Why do villains need to spend time saying monologues anyway?" Jewel asked.


"Beats me. Anyway, that should make the time flower bloom now."


"Awesome! Alright Suit, you're coming with u--- Where's Suit?" Jessie's sentence was interrupted upon seeing that Suit wasn't in the hole she created with her gauntlets. While the two were busy talking with each other, Suit had the chance to get away. "So this must be the feeling of saying monologues while your opponent gets an opportunity to get out. Darn."


"Eh, don't worry about it, we'll get him the next time we'll cross paths with him. Just be glad that the Time Flower didn't die and Bloom Town isn't stuck in eternal snow."


"Yeah, you're right. This is another quest completed by the Morningfold twins!"


While the twins are making their way back to Bloom Town, the Time Flower started blooming and the snow surrounding the town slowly melts, vanishing into the ground, thus, Spring has come back to Bloom Town.


End

March 20, 2021 08:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Unknown User
21:31 Mar 26, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.