0 comments

Crime Mystery Thriller

“You have to protect me okay. It’s not ideal to go for a run when it’s almost dark.” 

My little border collie Max just gave me a low bark, so I took that as a yes. I jumped out of the car and started down the gravel path. I plugged in my headphones to listen to some hyper pop. It’s the only music that can keep me from taking too many breaks. I press the volume button up and up until I couldn’t hear Max panting. I looked down at my laces to make sure they were tied, then start on my run. Max usually takes the lead but it helps me test my limits. It seems he never gets tired. Max has this whole park memorized; he leads us down the same path every day. We usually run early before I go to work but I overslept and I couldn’t just skip, Max was way too hyper for that. I recognize the same tree with the carvings of all the lovestruck teenagers. Usually we take a left after the tree, but Max’s ears perk up and he runs in the totally opposite direction. He even went off the path and bolted. I lost grip of the leash and he started running away even faster. I pushed myself harder to keep up with him. I couldn’t call out to him because I was so out of breath. I finally see him stop up ahead. I sprint the final few feet and finally take off my headphones so I could scold him but that’s when I heard it.

A feminine voice screaming, “Help! Anybody Please Help me!” 

I look in the direction Max is growling at and I see a man standing over this woman. I’m about to yell at him, hopefully scaring him off, but as soon as I open my mouth the man pulls a knife from his pants pocket and stabs her. She started coughing and he stabbed her again and then she went still. The man stood up and I completely forgot I was just staring at him. Max then does the unthinkable and barks. I ran towards him and scooped him up but not before the murderer made eye contact with me. His smile grew and he wiped his blade on his shirt, “Now I can’t have you telling people about that.” 

Before he could say anything more I ran in the opposite direction as fast as I could. I tried to remember which way the exit was but I couldn’t remember. I pulled out my phone and dial 911 almost tripping over myself but I kept my balance and kept running. 

Someone on the other side talks, “911 what’s your emergency.” 

I was out of breath but I was able to make out, “Witness… Murder… Hillgrove... Park... Please... Help!” 

“Alright we sent some patrol cars to your location. Help is on the way.” 

I just kept running and stupidly looked behind me, this caused me to trip over a stick on the ground. Max fell out of my hands and he just looked at me. I quickly moved so I was behind a tree hopefully being way out of sight from that man. I looked down at Max and he was shaking. I tried holding him closer but then I heard the crunching of leaves, “I know you’re out here.” 

I put my free hand over my mouth hoping to silence the sob I let out. The sound getting closer, and closer. I close my eyes but then the sound stops and is replaced with sirens. I sigh in relief and I hear the feet run in the opposite direction. 

I let out a sob and, in a few minutes, I hear footsteps heading in my direction. I held Max close but when the steps slow down, I’m met by a bright flashlight, “They are over here.” The man moves the light so I’m not blinded. He holds out his hand and helps me up, “So you called about the murder.” 

I nod frantically and start walking towards the flashing lights so I could find the entrance again. I find the gravel path and walk until I meet the carved tree. I then start jogging in the direction until I see the familiar tree that me and Max were hidden behind when I saw the murder, “Right there, he must have moved the body but she was dead right there.” 

Several groups of cops begin looking around the ground for evidence. I put my weight against the tree waiting for them to find anything. Minutes pass and the same cop who found me walks up to me, “Excuse me but we can’t find anything right now. We will tape it off and continue searching but would you be willing to come back to the station to answer a few questions?” 

I nodded and he led me back to the patrol cars, “This officer will drive you. We had someone already bring your dog in.” 

The officer was wearing his hat so his face wasn’t visible but he nodded and opened the back of the patrol car. He protected my head as I got in. I played with my fingers as he walked over to the driver’s side and started the car. We started driving and I just looked at the scenery, I drive this road basically every day, we actually end up passing my house. Wait, that means we passed the road to the police station. I wait to see if he corrects it and goes in the right direction, but he still hasn’t said anything or corrected his course. I thought I would say something, “Excuse me sir?” He nodded but didn’t say anything. I decided to keep quiet and hope we end back up there. I leaned my head on the car window and the police radio went off, “We need an ambulance to the scene, I repeat an ambulance to Hillgrove Park East Entrance.”

I perked up, “Do you think they found the body.” 

He scuffed, “No.” His voice sounded familiar. I began looking closer at him, specifically his hands. That’s when I noticed the blood. The radio went off again, “Officer Walton’s uniform, badge, and firearm are missing. Keep a look out.” The officer driving made eye contact with me through the rearview mirror, “Hmm weird?” That’s when it clicked. He was the murderer. I start hyperventilating trying to open the door, trying to escape. But cop cars aren’t openable from the back. I was locked in. The car began to slow down to a stop alongside the highway. 

He then turned back to me and had a sneer plastered across his face, “They had no evidence, now no witness.”    

November 13, 2020 04:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.