39 comments

American Inspirational

If you knew you were going blind tomorrow, what would you make an effort to see today? An eagle soaring? Or maybe waves crashing on the beach? Certainly you would drink in the smiles of your children, memorizing their faces to help you through the dark days to come. 


Billy had no such warning, and even if he did, he wouldn’t have had any such list.  


Billy was the son of an unwed mother who died in childbirth. He had spent the first thirteen years of his life in forgettable foster homes and most of the next seventeen years on the streets of New York. If you asked him why he chose the name Billy, he would tell you that William seemed too formal and that no one likes Bills. In truth, what name he went by wasn’t important because he had no family and no real friends.


Lest you think I am here to tell you Billy was a saint, I can assure you he was not. He was a thief, an addict, and a drug dealer. Billy wasn’t even old enough to drive the first time he was arrested and hadn’t yet voted the first time he was incarcerated. No one cared about Billy, and he didn’t care right back. 


He fought everyone and everything in his life, and most times he lost. He carried a gun with him wherever he went, and it’s only by the grace of God that he never ended another person’s life. 


What would you make an effort to see if you were going blind tomorrow? Billy didn’t have the chance to make a list because, as in most cases of sudden blindness, he didn’t see it coming. 


The details aren’t worth rehashing—it is enough to know that the incident occurred during a drug deal gone bad. You see, Billy wasn’t the only one who always carried a gun. 


The bullet that changed Billy’s life entered his cheekbone at a slightly upward angle. It instantly destroyed his right eye and severely damaged the tissue and nerves behind his left. One eye was removed during surgery, and the other was useless. Billy was left totally blind.  


When Billy woke up to darkness, he wasn’t angry that he was blind; he was angry that he was alive.  


Then Billy met Kay. If this was a predictable movie, Kay would have been a beautiful young doctor with whom Billy found everlasting love. We all know that's not the case. 


Kay was a cantankerous old nurse with a raspy smoker's voice and cold bony fingers. She had no bedside manner, and she didn’t suffer fools gladly. To her, Billy was a fool. 


She never told him he was lucky to be alive. She thought that was too obvious to waste her breath. She, however, gruffly told him he was lucky to be blind. I know she might sound cruel, but Kay was also the only one who regularly visited him. 


It was more than three weeks after he woke up before Billy realized the anomaly. Kay worked five days a week, but she came in the other two just to see Billy. Those who worked with Kay will tell you she never did anything like that before Billy or afterwards.


She was the first person who ever authentically cared about Billy, although you’d never know it by how she treated him. She called him lazy when he wouldn’t get up and try to walk. She called him a coward when he refused to meet with a social worker. She called him an imbecile when he would confide in her his desire to die. 


Before the hospital, Billy had no reason to try to turn his life around, but he found a very powerful one after the accident: his overwhelming desire to shut Kay up.


Billy spent twelve weeks in the hospital and rehab, just shy of three months. Miraculously, other than being stone cold blind, Billy had been unharmed by the bullet. When he finally left, with Kay’s help and annoying encouragement, he was able to move into a halfway house. The structure was critical to his physical recovery and his journey towards sobriety. 


Had Billy been able to see the sign over the door to his new home, he would have seen the halfway house’s mission statement: “Rebuilding lives, one soul at a time.” Billy, however, was careful to avoid using the phrase, as before the accident he had no life worth rebuilding.


Not long after he arrived at his new digs, a funny thing happened to Billy. He became both a celebrity of sorts and the living embodiment of encouragement. Everybody in the house wanted to hear the story of the man who was shot in the head and lived to tell about it. It was also hard for any of the other residents to feel sorry for themselves because no one had it as bad as Billy. 


Billy was supposed to be in the halfway house for three months. Ninety days is a long time when you’re trying to hold your breath, but devastatingly short when it means facing a world you can no longer see. Whereas other residents counted the minutes until the court would allow them to leave, Billy found the approaching end of his stay overwhelming. 


It wasn’t until years later that Billy found out Kay had been working behind the scenes to get him a job as a lay counselor at the very halfway house he was dreading to leave. 


Most people think they are never touched by miracles. The reason is that those same people think all miracles are large production numbers accompanied by songs of angels, but the truth is most important miracles are small and happen every day. 


It’s a little known fact that someone who has an eye removed can still produce tears if the ducts remain intact. If Billy didn’t know this already, he learned it the day he experienced his miracle. It came quietly when he was offered a job that would allow him to stay and work with residents as they re-entered society. 


Billy was thirty years old the day he received his first actual paycheck, and that paycheck, still uncashed, can be found in his Bible to this day.


Over the next few years, Billy did more than just work at the halfway house. He devoted himself to its transient residents. 


"When you lose your sight," Billy would say, "you see things others don't." There was no time, day or night, that Billy was unavailable to listen or give advice, or even offer a much needed hug. The man who spent his life caring for no one now cared for everyone.


Billy worked hard to master the use of his cane, becoming so proficient that he didn’t need a seeing eye dog. He didn’t need one, but he got one all the same. 


Billy also found love, just not with Kay. He was in a supermarket looking for tomatoes, and, just as he was wont to do, he asked the closest person to help him select the finest two. 


That’s when he met Millie. Yes, Billy and Millie. Outsiders chuckle at the coincidence, but those of us here know it was more like destiny. Millie, as it turns out, had a servant's heart and was more than happy to help with the tomato dilemma, and she took an instant liking to Billy. 


The day before he met Millie was the last day of his life he spent apart from her. They went for coffee and dinner and talked until today became tomorrow. Billy always said he could see voices, and then he’d turn to Millie and say hers was the most beautiful one in the world. 


Less than a year later, they were married. Billy, for the first time in his life, moved into a home of his own. They had three children, two daughters and a son. They never got rich, but they spent their lives helping others.


If you ever asked Billy or Millie how many people they helped over the years, they would always say just one. It was their way of giving each wayward soul their full attention. Whenever they had the chance and the money, they would travel to see the sights of the world: Millie with her eyes and Billy through Millie’s descriptions.


If the question was ever asked if one person can change the world, anyone who knew either would answer quickly and enthusiastically—yes. 


If you knew you were going blind tomorrow, what would you make an effort to see today? 


If it were me, I would want to see that young man who shot Billy so I could tell him, from Billy, he was forgiven. 


I would want to see Kay, so I could hug her and tell her thanks for loving Billy enough to change his life.


I would want to be here today to see something no one thought possible forty years ago: a church overflowing with Billy’s family and friends.  


Legacy is a word over and misused. But not in Billy’s case. Millie is his legacy. My sisters are his legacy. I am his legacy, and all of you are his legacy. We are all proof of what my dad always said about life: it’s not how you start, but how you finish.


My dad lived his life in darkness until he lost his sight. It was then, and only then, that he finally saw the light.

December 31, 2022 01:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Rama Shaar
08:36 Jan 02, 2023

This was a heartwarming story about hope and redemption. Kay is a (grumpy) angel; I almost wished to see more about her. The story was full of clever lines. This was one of my favourites: "as in most cases of sudden blindness, he didn’t see it coming."

Reply

Thom With An H
17:19 Jan 04, 2023

You are one of two who want more about Kay. Maybe I'll revisit her in one of her own stories. Thanks so much for the positive feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
04:24 Jan 02, 2023

Hi Thom, another excellent story. A life well observed and the kindness of others duly noted. I, too loved the reveal at the end. I find the stories of yours, that I have read, really move me to tears, and I think it's getting to the stage where I have to read them in non-public places! Another great story.

Reply

Thom With An H
17:20 Jan 04, 2023

Stevie, you are so kind. I am glad my stories move you. I'm an old softie. I end up all teary eyed when I write them so it's nice to know I'm not the only one. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
00:30 Jan 02, 2023

The end gave me goosebumps. I think this is your second MC reveal at the end, I believe the first was The Purse, and that was as powerful as this one. I really liked this statement: "people think all miracles are large production numbers accompanied by songs of angels, but the truth is most important miracles are small and happen every day." I think this is the major theme of this story, and it's powerful. Your stories always have powerful statements. Another story well-written.

Reply

Thom With An H
16:35 Jan 04, 2023

Ann Marie, you always make me smile. I love a story of redemption. Especially in the world today, we need hope. Thanks for always taking the time to encourage me. You are a writers best friend.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
16:40 Jan 04, 2023

Happy to read your wonderful stories :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mostafa Fayad
01:41 Jan 05, 2023

i agree with you Anne Marrie, he is always doing that since the purse he was going in a side and suddenly kidnapped minds in the other side at the end great great great author keep it up Thom

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
01:46 Jan 05, 2023

Absolutely!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Tommy Goround
23:38 Jan 01, 2023

-I like the narrator reveal at the end. -the back and forth between the nurse and the patients iand the mysteries of helping we're very good. The point about her uniquely coming in on her day off was even better. There was another story this week that I thought was very good about redemption and finding someone to help. You took a more serious approach and added a few maxims. Even though the story has some depressing elements I almost want to read it again. Congratulations on the recommended list. Clapping.

Reply

Thom With An H
17:21 Jan 04, 2023

Tommy, my main man. I really appreciate the kudos and I'll pass them back your way. A well deserved recommend for you as well this week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
20:42 Jan 01, 2023

Interesting reveal about who the MC is at the end, and I love the poignant message that it's never too late to turn a life around. A person's goodness may be within them all along, but a lot of people need the patience of others to bring it out and I think your story captured this really well.

Reply

Thom With An H
17:22 Jan 04, 2023

Thanks so much. Especially around this time of year its nice to remember redemption is always there for the taking.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
13:12 Jan 01, 2023

This sums it up so well: "The reason is that those same people think all miracles are large production numbers accompanied by songs of angels, but the truth is most important miracles are small and happen every day." Your opening commands attention, but perhaps consistent with the observation "it’s not how you start, but how you finish," you deliver a very strong finish.

Reply

Thom With An H
18:34 Jan 04, 2023

Laurel, you have quickly shown how talented you are and that talent makes your encouragement that much more impactful. Thanks for taking the time to make me want to write more. It means more than you know.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
21:33 Jan 04, 2023

Thank-you. WIth as many stories as you have under your belt, and winners, I think we know where the talent lies! I have come across a fan of yours who does book groups with senior citizens, you may know of whom I speak. I shared my respect for you with him. I have been enjoying your stories. I will say, there are a great many fine offerings on this site.

Reply

Thom With An H
21:34 Jan 04, 2023

Cal is good people. I'm a fan of his as well. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
21:10 Dec 31, 2022

I really enjoyed this story and the way it was told as sort of a short memoir of Billy's life. The start definitely pulled me in and the question of what I would make an effort to see if I knew I was going blind is something I will probably think about for a long time.

Reply

Thom With An H
18:36 Jan 04, 2023

Some questions make us stop and wonder. I know I take my sight for granted. It’s always been there. I’m glad my story made you think deeply. I don’t know if there is a higher compliment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nellye Hight
16:12 Jan 04, 2023

Very beautiful story and told very well!! I love how you stayed to the point, and yet somehow made it feel intimate, as if I was reading about a good friend. Fantastic job! God bless!!

Reply

Thom With An H
17:23 Jan 04, 2023

Nellye, I love how you spell your name. I may have to steal it for a character in a future story. I also really appreciate your kind words. Comments like yours are why I write.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lindsay Flo
12:41 Jan 04, 2023

Because I've read enough of your work, I knew there would be some sort of twist or reveal at the end. Though it was easy to guess the narrator would be Billy's child, it was still a really satisfying end. As someone who has lost a sense (hearing) although not the way Billy did (gradually, not suddenly and traumatically) the loss of a part of the world you consider a given is tremendous. We all take things for granted, in particular things like seeing and hearing--until you don't have that option anymore. Billy's turnaround is heartwarming. V...

Reply

Thom With An H
16:38 Jan 04, 2023

Lindsay, I hope I did the idea justice. I think one of my earliest fears was of going blind so I guess I wanted to tell a story that comforted others the way I'd want to be comforted. Your personal connection to the story made your feedback next level. Thank you for sharing you made this man's day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
11:01 Jan 04, 2023

I absolutely love Kay. This is a fascinating character worth developing in another story. Favorite passage: "Most people think they are never touched by miracles. The reason is that those same people think all miracles are large production numbers accompanied by songs of angels, but the truth is most important miracles are small and happen every day." Lovely, deep, and true. The essence of our humanity is that we are privy to great events and we rarely notice them. Loved the reveal of the narrator at the end. All in all, a lovely story t...

Reply

Thom With An H
21:36 Jan 04, 2023

Thanks so much Del, your words about Kay may light a fire underneath me. Maybe we'll see her as her own main character. This is another thing I love about Reedsy, some of the best ideas come in the comments. You da man!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
15:19 Jan 03, 2023

This story is perfection, Thom. I wouldn't change a word of it, and I'm awestruck that I got to read it. I'd never want to think that I got so close to reading something so special and missed it.

Reply

Thom With An H
16:04 Jan 04, 2023

I'm not even sure how to tell you how much this means to me. I will say this, when I submit a story, I wait to hear from you. Your comments mean that much to me.

Reply

Susan Catucci
16:35 Jan 04, 2023

Well, then I think this is going to work out just fine - you're an excellent writer and that's something you should know.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kyle Bennett
01:56 Jan 03, 2023

Well, that's an instant classic

Reply

Thom With An H
16:39 Jan 04, 2023

This comment is proof you don't need a lot of words to make an impact. You lifted me up in a few short words and I am grateful for your encouragement.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
09:21 Jan 02, 2023

It's never too late to turn around a life if the will and a heloing hand is there. Thank you for reminding us of that.

Reply

Thom With An H
16:42 Jan 04, 2023

Thank you for really understanding the reason for this story. Thanks for taking the time to make my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angela Pirozzi
13:12 Jan 28, 2023

I truly enjoyed this story. It touched my heart in a few places. Especially the ending, "My dad lived his life in darkness until he lost his sight. It was then, and only then, that he finally saw the light."

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kayla Baumann
05:35 Jan 08, 2023

This is a great story. Kay, Millie, and Billy all seem like people I would love to meet and work with.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Martha Sanipe
16:51 Jan 07, 2023

Loved this heartwarming story - clever title!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Linda Hatchet
19:35 Jan 06, 2023

A wonderful hook Thom, the smiling faces of my children is exactly where I would start :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Raey Kubiak
22:42 Jan 05, 2023

Inspirational, noble and universal. A twofold message, conveyed beautifully; never give up on others, never give up on hope. Very well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Marty B
06:43 Jan 05, 2023

Good story- I wish there was more about Millie- what did Billy see in Millie to connect? What drew them together? Thanks for the heart warming tale!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mostafa Fayad
01:39 Jan 05, 2023

Hello, Thom please check your E-Mail i sent a massage telling you some great news keep up the good work so we can reach faster together best regards, Mostafa

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.