THE INFECTED PART FIVE

Written in response to: Write a story about someone seeking revenge for a past wrong.... view prompt

10 comments

Horror Fiction Thriller

   THE INFECTED PART FIVE

"This! This is what you have made me do! This is what it's come to! All because you wouldn't just surrender yourself to me!" The mystery man shouts. He cocks a gun and places the barrel on the back of Rebecca's head.

"Daddy...please. I don't want to die..." Rebecca says as tears begin to roll down her face.

"Beccs...it's okay, you're not going to die, I'll handle this." Michael says.

"Come on, we don't even know what it is that you want, I don't even know your name." I say to the man.

"My apologies, how rude of me." He says as he brushes his hair out of his face. "My name is Victor and you killed my man Drew in the bunker and took all of my stuff from said bunker where you left the body of my man. I thought I made that abundantly clear, Sarah."

"Right, but, your man, Drew, he was going to kill me. We needed stuff, we scouted that bunker for weeks before we decided to search it, I had no choice but to kill him, if I didn't, I would have ended up dead. You would have done the same thing in my situation."

"Oh, so you do know me after all, Sarah? That's not entirely true, I would have given you a chance to come with me to my community, where you would have thrived, oh wait, I did. Remember? When I first showed up here and you SHOT. AT. ME!" Victor pushes the barrel into Rebecca's head more and she winches. "Isn't it funny how everything seems to happen for a reason? Look, I'm not a complete monster, unless I'm pushed into a corner and I very much dislike being pushed into a corner. I'm like a god damn cat, I fight back. Especially when someone kills my people and takes all of my shit and doesn't even leave me a thank you note. You thought you could walk into my bunker and do whatever the hell you wanted and get away with it? That's just completely irresponsible and frankly, quite stupid."

"You want your stuff? Take it. Take everything. We don't need to fight, you've killed way more of our people than the one of yours we killed-"

Victor looks around, he gestures towards his soldiers' bodies and ours.

"I think we're way passed that, Sarah. The fight is here, plus, I think I need to add a few more bodies to my list if we're going to be even."

A lurker stumbles up to Victor, one of his lackeys grabs the lurker by it's shoulder and drives a stake through its head.

"Looks like the infected are here, our party is going to end soon, Sarah. I'll tell you what. You've got balls, kid. I'll offer you one more chance. Come with me, I can't promise that I won't kill you, well, immediately that is." Victor smirks.

"I can't do that, Victor. My people need me. You of all people should know that."

"What? All ten of them that's left. Including this one here, you can save her, you know?"

Rebecca stands there shivering, sobbing, and just staring at Michael.

"What if you just hand my daughter back, and leave? We all just walk away and we never have to see each other again? Can we just do that, please?" Michael asks.

Victor looks over at Michael.

"This is your daughter? Oh. She's really pretty, she didn't get that from you, cause I mean, ugh. I mean, she's really, really pretty." Victor stands up against Rebecca and sniffs her hair. "She must have got that from her mom. Which she might be on the ground here somewhere. Huh?" He steps back, still pushing the barrel against Rebecca's head.

"Rebecca, sweety, I promise-"

"Promise, what? That I won't do this?"

Victor pulls the trigger, blood splatters my face and Rebecca falls.

"NO!" Michael shouts and starts firing a pistol towards Victor who turns and jumps into a truck.

Victor and what's left of his army flee in their vehicles. Victor hangs out of a window shouting.

"I'll be back for you Sarah! Trust me, I'll be seeing you real soon! Go ahead and clean all of this up for me!" He shouts. Lurkers begin to flood into our community.

Michael throws his gun down, drops down to his knees and grabs Rebecca's body and just holds her. Antonio and a few others are clearing the lurkers that are showing up. I'm left in shock. The amount of bloodshed that just happened because of a choice I made. I just woke up to all of this after almost dying and I've lost more than half of my people, my hand is gone, my community is in ruin, the gate has fallen. We have nothing to rebuild with. What do I even do in this situation? I'm not a good enough leader to fix this. I should just find Victor and turn myself over, I could save the rest of my community by doing just that. I would most likely die, and it would save all my people.

"There's too many of them!" I hear Antonio yell faintly.

I stand there and watch Michael sob and hold his daughters lifeless body as her blood runs down my face. I made this happen, all because I made a decision to kill a man that I didn't even know. I led this tyrant to our doorstep and allowed him to kill our people and destroy our home. Rebecca was fifteen years old, she was learning from Harvey and Jackie to become a Doctor. She had a whole life ahead of her that would help so many people in this world, I robbed this world of that, of her.

"SARAH!" Antonio yells. "What do we do!?" He plunges a knife into a lurkers head.

"We need to leave! Round up everyone that's alive and let's go. We can't stay here." I rush over to Michael. "Michael, we need to go. We have to leave her. The lurkers are coming in waves, and we need to find somewhere else to go. Come on." I offer Michael my hand and he takes it after kissing Rebecca's cheek.

Everyone that's alive is now standing behind Michael, Antonio, and me as we clear a path through the lurkers, pushing them out of the way as we all move together in unison. 

June 26, 2023 19:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

08:44 Jul 23, 2023

Ohhhhh my gosh! This is so amazing! The first story slightly scared me, I was wondering whether or not to continue, but I'm glad I did! He didn't just kill Rebecca - He did. Now I really don't like him. Love how you've kept this going, and are keeping it going, so long.

Reply

Brendan Sanders
15:25 Aug 09, 2023

Hey! I’m still working on the next part, life has just gotten a bit busy for me right now, however I wanted to thank you for reading and all the kind words! 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.M. De Jong
06:32 Jun 28, 2023

On to part 6 now... oof I'm nervous lol. I'm rooting for Michael now btw, so I hope you don't have any plans on killing him off!! Hehe.

Reply

Brendan Sanders
16:56 Jun 28, 2023

Hint: Michael is a big part of our next big bad villain after Victor…*wink wink

Reply

J.M. De Jong
23:38 Jun 28, 2023

Wait whaaattt? Nuuuu, Michael is the next villain??? :o I'm not ready for this, lol.

Reply

Brendan Sanders
05:33 Jun 29, 2023

He’s not the next villain. He’s just the reason we get the next villain. Lol

Reply

J.M. De Jong
07:09 Jun 29, 2023

Ahhhh okie, hmm that sounds very interesting. Not sure if I should be worried or not. Glad to know he won't be the next villain though ;))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J.M. De Jong
06:30 Jun 28, 2023

Noooo not Rebecca :(( That was so sad... and poor Michael. That Victor dude needs to be dealt with immediately -_- I had a thought concerning Victor btw. That, because of his past of watching his wife be murdered in front of him, I would think that perhaps he'd have a soft spot/protective streak for other women and be more merciful towards them, not wanting to necessarily kill them. But when it comes to men he doesn't care. Just a thought I had. I know it would probably complicate things if you didn't have Victor do that with Rebecca though...

Reply

Brendan Sanders
16:55 Jun 28, 2023

I actually have a thing planned with Victor about why he turned out this way. His jump from caring husband to stone cold killer of any and all is intentionally a big jump. A big chunk of his story is missing and it’s one of the next parts, depending on what prompts we get next!

Reply

J.M. De Jong
23:35 Jun 28, 2023

Ah gotcha, awesome! Guess I'll just have to wait and see how he became what he is currently ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.