What did she tell you this time

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy Friendship Fiction

Sitting lazily on the soft cushions by the large arched window,taking in the warm rays of the evening sun. Dominik, with his brows tightly knitted together, picked at his nails, decapitating the poor folks from the crown of his long slender fingers. With no nails to pick on anymore, Dominik, starts to shake his legs vigorously, of course those pesky little actions doesn't go by unnoticed, William, his best friend whose knees were glued to the latter's knees all day long feels every single movement and vibration caused by the latter. Even though his eyes are practically glued to his phone, playing 'CALL OF DUTY',like a man on a mission.

Still keeping his focus on the gadget,William is finally starting lose his patience, so he takes it upon himself and asks the dazed lump of meat slugged on the couch beside him in a low humming tone,

"mmmm...., I see something has been bothering you the whole day,mind telling me whats been eating your brains pal?."

Dominik, on the other hand, gaspes dramatically and covers his 'O' shaped mouth and says,

"wow!..,willy.., I didn't know you had eyes at the back of your head!!,cause certainly you aren't using those (pokes the side of William's eye), I thought you might end up diving into your phone or something. Maaaan, you need to calm down."

"Says the one who's been disgustingly chewing on his fingers, hey dumbass (whilst rolling his eyes), I don't need another set of eyes to know what's going on, you are literally slouched beside me!,I can sense and feel every darn, little thing you're doing!!."

Says William, eyes still focused on the game,glad the latter had stopped shaking his uselessly long limbs.

It was quiet for good ten minutes, not an awkward one but a pleasant and serene one,until Dominik brakes the silence first this time, while staring at the crime he committed not long ago, (his fingers).

"SO....., mmmm,was thinking about this myth for a while now......", "hmmm, and what is it about wise ol champ?."

Playing with his fingers the jock continues, " well, it goes like this, have you heard about the myth, water spirits are created or born from the drowning human souls?!."

"........Hmmmm, interesting thats new news to my ears,never heard of it. (Slighty Smirking William continues),where did hear that bull from?. Oh oh oh oh I know!, you read those stupid online myths again didn't you!!."

"NO YOU FREAKIN BULL HEAD,(imitating in will's tone); siiigh, I heard it from the lady that comes from the deepest parts of the ocean,when the full moon is at its brightest form and highest position in the skies."

"Ooooohh!, so poetic bro, you should study literature instead of playing basketball."(earns a punch in his guts), "Oof,that hurt.., anyways by the lady..., you mean the ghost lady that appears in your dreams right!."

"YUP that's her,................., so you have been listening to my shit."

Still rubbing his tummy,William glances at his friend for a moment before headlocking him between his arms, " yeah,of course I do!!, what do you take me for, ( releasing him from his tight grip he continues), but wait isn't it the same lady who appears on the rim of the shore ; wants to lure you into the water and feed on your soul or something!!."

"Yea, that's her....,but this time she was acting rather differently, she was more conserved and passive. She wore a blank;bored expression on her face while sitting on a hideous rock, making her look down when she spoke to me, like I'm a mere peasant in her glorious presence."

Getting hold of his abandoned phone once again,William curiously yet hints of sarcasm laced in his words asks," oooohhh,so what did she tell you this time, hmmmm, ( suddenly bouncing on the soft cushions) perhaps!!!, don't tell me!!! ,she confessed her love for you!!!!! OMG!!, is it what I think it is, a forbidden love!!!!!!, oh lord why must you be so cruel to my single friend here!!."

William starts laughing uncontrollably, before earning himself yet another punch in the face.

Dominik sits back on his seat and continues, " biiiiish,do you want to know what actually happened or you gonna keep on shitting?."

Rubbing his reddened cheekies, William with ugly fake sobs, motions for his friend to continue, so the latter does whilist, massaging his temple.

" well... how do I start this....,so as always I found myself, sliding down the beachy sands thanks to the insane winds and sunless weather;waves wrathfully crashing themselves on the victimized lands. And as I mentioned before, the winds almost everytime; forcefully and purposely pull and throw me exactly to lining of the shore as if they are offering me to the beasts of the sea. SO...ummm, as soon as I reached the rim of the shore!, this monster lady pounced from the water in an attempt of grabbing me,but I smacked her lanky slimy cold fingers and ran to the opposite direction. Normally she would start cussing and roaring in anger and frustration,however; my good man, this time she didn't. She hoisted herself on the rock and sat there with a resting poker face, she stared with bitter and sour eyes at the horizon ahead."

"Then what did you do?", mouth and eyes wide open, asks William.

"Well at first I started to tease her; trying to get on her nerves and whatnot. I began saying things like 'what's wrong tired of catching me', 'found yourself someone else', ' little mermaid is a little sleepy today, ' whats wrong woke up on the wrong side of coral' and stuff like that."

" ............................And you call me the weird one", says William shooting dirty glares at his friend.

"Yea whatever man, anyways she looked at me from above, making a complete fool of myself ,she clicked her tongue and tsked tsked at me before finally speaking up,.....and this was actually the first time we held a normal understanding conversation.

She asked me, ' human do you know who iam and what am I made of?', I searched for something sensible to say in my brains and told her a 'siren' or a 'ghost'.

She rolled her eyes and spoke again, ' no you foolish human,........ have you heard about the story that water spirits are created by the drowning human souls, we are created from all of their lumped clumped negative emotions; anger, frustration, vengeance, sadness, sorrow, agony, loneliness, betrayal , hatred and, depression. We are born with no emotions, no purpose in life ,no memories, we born just to be shackled in the deepest abyss of the oceans. We are born to feed on the likes of you to survive. We must feed on you humans or we will weaken and fade. The stronger your emotions are the stronger we become. You foolish humans don't know the value of a life bestowed upon you, why must you cause so much trouble?, why must you create us empty, hollow vessels?, your causing us nothing but harm, why must we suffer because of your selfishness?.'

She said anger laced in her voice yet it was so gentle; so gentle it almost reminded me of my mom scolding me for eating before washing my hands after playing ."

William, who is laying on his stomach watching his friend speak excitingly, furrows his brows as he suddenly stopped speaking.

" THEN WHAT HAPPENED, DONT JUST STOP OUT OF NOWHERE LIKE THAT!!!!."

Laughing at his antics, Dominik continues to narrate his dream.

" And Soo, i asked her if she was getting weaker; she stared at me, while I'm kicking the sand, then answered in a very small and almost un-audible voice 'yes'. I asked her if feeding on human souls was the only solution, she nodded; then she glanced at me with her dark soulless orbs and it was as if she read my mind , she told me, 'human you are standing very close to me....,...... are you not afraid of being devoured and eaten. '

So I told her 'do you not want to eat me?.' So she heaved a heavy sigh before saying, ' I have suddenly lost my appetite, hence I shall be taking my leave now,also for the moon is disappearing and the sun is threatening to appear.' I asked her if she will be coming back, she turned towards my direction and for a fraction of a millisecond she wore a smile and dove into the black reflectionless sea. And that's that my friend; the end, thank you for listening to my dream and have a wonderful night (says while bowing down pretending to remove a fancy hat from his head),thank you, thank you, hohohoho!!!!."

"But seriously that was a spectacular story maan (says William giving him standing ovation), are you sure you don't want to change your courses, also do you think your dream was Perhaps a sign or something, like a signal, like someone is trying to reach out for you or something......, I mean you've been dreaming about that lady for a month now!!."

" well,well...look who's finally interested, so what do you wanna do, wanna go to the beach or something?!" ,says Dominik sarcastically.

"Heeey,that's a grand idea!!!!, let's go now!!! ,come on slip in your slippers dude!!."

" Wait are you serious right now, like for reals bro!?."

"Yup, let us go and hit that son of beach!!, its not like we have anything better to do, we are free as the rolling dung Beatles,sooo... come on now!!!"

"..........,fine.But seriously what on earth are we gonna do there!?."

" well.. that ,we will find about that later ,won't we?!, and who knows my beloved friend, you might end up meeting your forbidden lover,heheheehehee." (smaack), "OUCH!!!! MAN, THAT HURTS GEEEZ!." Says William grabbing onto his neck, " I told you it's nothing like that, stop saying that!!." Says Dominik threatening to smack him again.

"OK ok , what's your problem!."

" you're my problem,"

"well I think you being single is the problem."

Says William sticking out his tongue, and running towards the car; while Dominik is tailing behind him, a silly smile plastered on his face. " Tchh, what a doofus."

January 13, 2021 12:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

FJC Montenegro
22:48 Feb 13, 2021

Hey Penguin. So, I found the time to go over this one and, I'm not gonna lie to you, we have a lot to work on here. I can see where your heart is at, but we have one major issue here, and it's grammar! The main tip I can give you now is to tighten up your grammar. If you want your writing to be taken seriously, then you have to take it seriously yourself. And the first step is to make sure that it's free of grammar mistakes. I'll give you an example. This is on one of the first paragraphs: "wow!..,willy.., Here are the mistakes in it: Th...

Reply

Slothy Penguin
08:10 Feb 14, 2021

Ohh, I didn't even notice that fault, The comma part was accidental, must've slipped in while I was typing. Yes your comment is very helpful, I wouldn't have noticed it. Will definitely keep it in mind and try my best to improve on the grammar part. Thank you, please continue to guide me. 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.