23 comments

Mystery Thriller

Contains harsh language.


Running through the dark and silent forest feels pathetic, yet you run. You run for your life. You haven’t even run for 10 minutes, yet your body feels as though it can’t run anymore: your follower just on your heels. You jump over a tree trunk, but slip and fall. Lying face down on the ground you turn around and catch a glimpse of the ever so bright moon, its illuminating colour making you forget about your goal, just a little bit anyway, before you hear it.


His voice.


Echoing through the forest like a wolves howl echoes to its pack. You lay silent listening. Listening for any sign that you have mistaken the sound, yet you know you didn’t.


“I will find you, I will, I swear and I’ll kill you.”


His mischievous words sending shivers down your spine. How could he have changed so much over the last couple of months?

You know you should stand up, but you find yourself thinking about how you once loved him. How he had changed so much after you both said I do. O how beautiful he looked in his tuxedo, his curly locks just hanging loose, the wind catching it as he walked towards you …You are ripped from your train of sweet loving thoughts when he yells again.


“Nancy let’s talk you know I’m not serious.”


Yet you know he is, you have heard this many times before and you have the bruises to know his serious.


“Go fuck yourself”


You scream back.


You hear his laughter echo through the forest. You know you have made him angrier.


You decide to stand up and get a move on before he catches up to you…. But you’re too late.


You bend to the front ready to stand up; then feel his hands on your waist, urging you into him.


“Jack, leave me alone!”


You scream.


You hear his horse laughter again.


“I thought you liked it like this.”


You decide to be smart and roll the stones his way to escape. You urge into him more fully.


He gasps and moans, but this gives you the advantage you need. Although you don’t like what you have to do you reach for his manhood and pulls. He lets go off you in attempt to save his better half then you run.


You run faster this time.


Now with more strength than you thought you had.


Then suddenly out of the blue you hear a loud crunching sound. Your feet stop out of its own accord and you turn towards the sound. There trapped in a bear trap is Jack bleeding out.


….

A few years later

….


The memories still plagued you, of that night: That night when Jack died. His clothing still in your closet after 2 years still haunts you, yet you don’t have the courage to take them out. Your still lost in the love he vowed for you and then just taken away. Or rather stolen.


Your friends have told you a million times before that its over that part of your life is over you should destroy it, yet looking at his clothes you only think of the loving man he were before you married him. Then of the terror he became.


You sigh.


You reach for the basket you have brought into the formerly known room as : yours. You then start by taking the clothes of their hangers and then throwing them into the basket. You’re moving after all. This is a good time to burn the once love of your life treacherous memories. Minutes past all the clothes are now in the basket, your clothes stained with tears when you hear a knock on your door.


“I’m coming.”


You scream to the person behind the door.


Tear stained t-shirt you walk to your front door. Then remembering you have cried only moments before you wipe your pain away then reach for the door handle. You turn the knob. On the other side of the door is your best and one of your closest friend Laura. With bags in her hand.


“Hey girl, you look terrible girl; I brought some Chinese and movies.”


 She indicates to the bag of Wuuhu Food and stack of Dvd’s.


“We are going to just relax today for the last time in this shithole.”


She indicates to your home.


You tears begin to well up again. You’re not just saying goodbye to your apartment, the bad memories, but also all the good memories.

“No don’t cry girl, I didn’t mean to make you cry, o shit.”


Laura rushes past you, put the tray of gifts down and holds you. Then she looks you up and down.


“You know what you need a makeover, get dressed and lets go.”


After much insistent torture to get dressed and shower Laura parks the car in front of the hair salon.


“We need to get rid of those long and grey locks.”


She indicates to your hair.


You look down.


“So that we can see your face silly.”


She laughs


“Then we need to find you something sexier to wear. You have been out of the market way too long"


She looks you up and down.


You wink at her.


She winks back.


“Let’s go shopping girl.”


Moments past by as you and Laura sit at the hair salon gossiping.

“Did you see Deedee she is wearing that old spaghetti dress again?”

“No ii I haven’t been out much, you know packing and so..”


“O shit Nance I didn’t mean to bring up your … uhmm house again sorry I’m just trying to cheer you up.”


“It’s fine.”


You say yet you know it isn’t.


In that moment you look out of the window of the hair salon.


Daydreaming yet seemingly awake.


Then you see him.


You though he was dead, but there he is, right in front of you on the street, smiling at you. 


You look to Laura eyes big and then back to the street.


Where is he? He seems to be gone again.


Your breathing starts to get shallow, your vision starts to get blurry, then suddenly your being shaken.


“Nance Nance are you okay? You have been shaking and screaming?”


You open your eyes only to see Laura you grab her and hold her tight.


“Laura I’m not over him and it scares me”


Your body feel cold, yet your not cold your freezing of fear.


“O Nance I know just calm down Nance.He is not here anymore."

July 28, 2020 10:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Emma Lin
23:31 Jul 31, 2020

Please give us a sequel! I am a huge fan of thrillers :) Nice job with the story! When you have the time, please check out my story. I am open to any feedback :) Have a wonderful day!

Reply

Anja Z
08:22 Aug 01, 2020

Thinking of bringing out the sequel to the story just waiting for the right prompt ... will check out your recent story asap and thank you for your comment :)

Reply

Emma Lin
13:48 Aug 01, 2020

Cool thanks! Take your time :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
23:08 Jul 31, 2020

I like the dialogue (which propels the story to progress!) Would you mind checking my recent story, "A Very, Very Dark Green?" Thank you :)

Reply

Anja Z
08:21 Aug 01, 2020

Thank you for your comment will do so asap :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
San T.
17:05 Jul 29, 2020

Really enjoyed it.. you can write a second part also, if you want..

Reply

Anja Z
07:28 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you . glad you enjoyed it ... stay safe:)

Reply

San T.
08:22 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you.. you too.. ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:58 Jul 28, 2020

Great job! 👏👏👏 ~A (Oh, and would you mind checking out my new story? Thanks!)

Reply

Anja Z
15:47 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you for your comment will do so asap :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
11:20 Jul 28, 2020

Poor girl... If you feel like it, I believe that a sequel would be good. Maybe if a right prompt pops up, you can build her back story! Very well written! I loved your story. Just keep going! 💜✨

Reply

Anja Z
11:24 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you for your comment , I'm definitely thinking about a part 2 in the near future:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kay C
15:45 Aug 23, 2020

This was great! I enjoyed reading about Nancy's conflicting feelings, and how although she remembers the pain Jack caused, she also remembers how she used to love him. It's definitely an emotional read

Reply

Anja Z
19:10 Aug 23, 2020

Thank you for your kind comment keep reading a part 2 is on it's way:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Derrick Kakooza
08:02 Aug 19, 2020

Interesting story!

Reply

Anja Z
11:38 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:32 Aug 18, 2020

This is a thrilling story. Just a mention, consider using 'pursuer' instead of 'follower'. Also, change 'your' to 'you are' or 'you're' where applicable. I loved it though!

Reply

Anja Z
13:50 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you for you comment i appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:21 May 12, 2021

Amazing! Loved it once again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
B.T Beauregard
00:27 Aug 03, 2020

Great story!! The characters were all really unique. Despite a couple small grammar mistakes, your story still flows well. I'm looking forward to a part two!! Ps: If you could check out my newest story, I would really appreciate it!!! :)

Reply

Anja Z
09:53 Aug 03, 2020

Thank you for your comment I really appreciate it ,, will check out your story asap.:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
16:08 Jul 30, 2020

From an erotic pursuit to moments of regret and sadness to realistic dialogue between affectionate and caring friends, your story gives an emotional wallop to the reader. Great job I found your words rhythmic, with a poetic flow in the first paragraph, music for the soul 🤗 In the sentence, “Jack, don’t leave me alone!” It seems opposite to what you would expect here. Did you mean to say, “Jack, leave me alone!”? I like the action and the dialogue. In the sentence, “Then we need to find you something sexier to wear, you have been ...

Reply

Anja Z
17:40 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you for you comment I will definitely look into it , I appreciate the feedback thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.