0 comments

Thriller

Ron was used to his sleepy little New England fishing town. Nestled against the Atlantic Ocean, it was nice enough, but he really didn’t have anything to compare it to. Back in high school, his future looked so bright. His excellent academics and extracurriculars gave him admission to a prestigious university in New York, but after his mother fell ill, he had no choice but to remain in town running their small family home repair business and caring for his kid sister Blythe. 

Despite his circumstances, Ron was a generally nice young man. With impressive height, a lean yet muscular physique, chesnut-brown locks swept over his forehead, and hazel green eyes, he was popular with the local girls, though he rarely noticed. 

As he did most days, Ron headed into the downtown square to Khoo’s Kitchen. His friend Tilly’s parents owned the restaurant; they were the only Asian family in the area. Most of the residents were some mix of Irish, English, and Scottish. Ron’s last name was O’Malley, so he fit right in. 

When he walked in, the place was packed, as usual. Being the only “ethnic” food around, most residents flock to Khoo’s for dinner. His eyes shifted through the bustle of gruff doc workers until they landed on a petite brunette standing behind the cash register. 

“Hey Till,” he greeted. He flashed her his signature bright smile. The local girls loved it but Tilly was not charmed. Chin cupped in her hand, she glanced up with the most bored expression he had ever seen. 

“Nice to see you too,” he chuckled, joining her behind the counter. “Rough day?”

Tilly let out a strangled cry. “Ugh. This place is so boring. I don’t know how you stay here year round!”

Ron simply patted her on the shoulder. A year younger, Tilly was a rising junior at Boston University studying economics and was simply home for part of the summer. Since they became friends in middle school, she had been griping about this town and how badly she wanted to escape. Tilly currently wore a college hoodie, leggings, and ballet flats just liked she did in high school. She twisted a lock of her short dark hair around her finger. She cut her hair into a bob while at school this year and Ron was still trying to get use to it. He could still picture Tilly with her signature long, messy pony tail. This detail only reminded him how much everyone was changing without him. 

“Mrs. Larson still trying to set you up with her niece?” Tilly asked while examining her nail beds. “I heard you finally went out with her.”

“Nadine? Yes.”

Tilly snorted. “What’s she doing these days?”

“Works at a daycare I think.”

“I bet her friends were so jealous. They all had the biggest crushes on you in high school.”

Heat flooded Ron’s face. Tilly giggled. Despite his good looks, Ron was not much of a ladies man. His closest non-family female in his life was Tilly, who happened to be a lesbian. 

Tilly’s eyes perked up for a moment, then widened. She stared in the direction of the restaurant entrance with an expression of astonishment he was not expecting. Following her bewildered gaze, his eyes settled on a woman standing by the doorway. 

Ron’s breath caught. In a long, burgundy wrap coat and high-heeled boots, the woman tossed back a mane of gorgeous black curls. Her eyes, large and almond-shaped, were the most alluring shade of golden-brown Ron had ever seen. She elegantly lifted her pointed chin, adjusting an expensive-looking handbag over her shoulder. With her smooth olive skin and gentle smirk, Ron could easily say she was the most stunning woman he had ever seen. His eyes tracked her as she maneuvered through the restaurant, towards him. 

As she came closer, his mind began to melt. Ron eyed Tilly for a moment and was slightly vindicated that this stranger was having the same effect on her. Only difference was when she placed her handbag on the counter, Tilly’s stupor broke long enough to take her order. Ron nervously scratched his neck as he listened, trying not to gawk. 

“I’ve heard this is the most popular restaurant in town,” the woman said to Tilly in an adorable British accent.

Regaining some of her bite, Tilly proudly agreed, “It is. We have the best chicken dumplings on the East Coast.”

The woman raised one of her perfectly-sculpted dark brows in amusement. “I’ll be judge of that.” She turned and faced Ron. “And you are?”

It took all of Ron’s mental capacity to string together a coherent thought. “I’m Ronald O’Malley. I’m Tilly’s friend. And you?”

“Aisha. So nice to meet you both. Hopefully I’ll be seeing more of you two.”

“You’re staying in town?” Tilly gasped.

“I just starting renting the cute little farmhouse by the sea.”

Ron and Tilly exchange looks of surprise. Cute was the last way anybody would describe that place. Neither of them could imagine such a sophisticated lady in that rundown farmhouse. The fact that she was paying rent to that old coot Ludwig was a travesty. 

“But that place sucks,” blurted out Tilly.

Till,” Ron scolded. 

Aisha laughed, a wonderful tinkle of a noise Ron committed to memory. “She’s not wrong. It needs some work.”

“I can help,” Ron automatically volunteered. 

“Really?” Aisha asked with a hint of amusement.

Ron prayed his face did not look as red as it felt. He fished around in his pocket for a business card. “Here’s my number.” 

Aisha examined the card for a moment. “Oh, you really are a repair man.”

He nodded sheepishly. Ron imagined that a women with her kind of beauty would be used to men scrounging up any excuse to be near her. Even if home repair wasn’t the family business, he would have offered even if he no idea how to do so. 

Aisha took the next five minutes to pepper them with questions about the area. Tilly did most of the talking, like she always did, and Ron could tell she was becoming flirtatious. Luckily, before his jealously could boil over, Aisha’s order arrived. 

The beautiful woman thanked them, then turned and sauntered out of the restaurant. This time, it seemed everyone else noticed her, but she seemed least bothered by the weight of their lecherous stares. 

As Aisha disappeared outside, Tilly jumped up and faced Ron. “Well this summer just got a lot more interesting.”

May 29, 2021 03:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.