145 comments

Fiction Contemporary Romance

He


Black was all he could see under the water. Black was all he wanted to see for the rest of his life. Black like the feathers of a raven, black like the nail polish that she had thrown out of her window, black like the depths of his heart, the parts devoid of feeling.


As he brought his arms down and pushed himself up, he wondered what would happen if he stopped pushing. His lips pulled at the thought of lying on the ground of the sea and becoming one with the black. Becoming black itself.


His head broke the surface of the water, as he took in a deep breath and the familiar taste and rough feel of salty water enveloped his body in a loving embrace.


He had always wondered why white was the colour that made up every other colour when black should have been that colour. He could have even shown them, how all the red sunsets and the yellow beaches and the green garden and the blue skies always ended up in black. All the happiest moments which were remembered in the brightest of colours and the tangiest of memories were all lies.


The only truth was that it would always end in black.


When everything came to an end, black would be the only one who would give you company. Black was everyone’s best friend and worst enemy.


But it depended on you, it always did.


He swam to shore, his mind still wrapped up in thoughts of black, and as soon as his toes were tickled by the wet sand, he looked up, just to make sure she was still there, that she hadn’t been lost to the black that he seemed to carry with him everywhere.


To his utter surprise, she was not air as he had expected. Her body was still there, and it was bathed in the white moonlight that never seemed to reach him.


She ran a hand through her damp hair, and her pearly white teeth glistened in the spotlight that was on her.


As she glided towards the water and her glistening body slowly began to disappear under the water, he watched until the white faded out of existence, and there was only black left.





She


She missed the nail polish she had bought for herself when she made contact with the water. She missed its reliable colour, and how well it would have suited her. She knew exactly why she had thrown it away.


She hadn’t wanted to erase the white.


Her body belonged in the slippery water. It was meant to be there, it fit perfectly. The waters seemed to part and curl to receive her as she pushed her legs until they screamed in pain and she laughed with joy at their protests, her breath coming up in small shiny bubbles under the sea, even though she couldn’t see them.


When she turned over and performed a backstroke, she could see the moon, the white blinding her and comforting her. It was a perfect circle today, tarnished in some places. Everything was imperfect. Even the moon. Even her.


The white of the moon was just like the kind of white he had always been in her life, the white she couldn’t tear her eyes away from, the white that was always there and never let her down, no matter how many others had managed to do that.


Whatever happened, he was there.


And he carried the white with him, wherever he went.


It seemed to flow with him effortlessly, the white that made up all the colours that existed and even the ones that didn’t. He added colour to everything he touched, it was like magic. He saw the colours and became the colours. He saw her, and thought she was perfect, even though the moon wasn’t. She knew she wasn’t, but when he looked at her, she could feel the other colours in the pit of her stomach.


He was colourful beyond comprehension.


She was the colourless one, the one who saw the world and saw nothing that was worth looking at, except for him and the moon.


He was her moon.


Broken in some places, tarnished in others, but more whole than she ever thought was even possible.





They


She was out of the black and water and in his arms before she could take in all the white.


His slender hands trickled over her body and brought back all the colours, the black and whites, and even the greys.


His lips cupped hers, and their colours were blurred.


As he lowered her to the sand that lined the beach, she knew that he wouldn’t let go. And she wouldn’t either.


Their bodies were sticky with the remnants of each other. Their tongues were sweet after their taste of each other.


The colours that were in her slowly began to rise up from inside her.


This time she wouldn’t push it down.


She ran her hands over his body until she heard a sound emanate from him that brought out her pearly teeth.


He ran his hands over her body and pushed until she rolled her eyes back.


They didn’t stop until they could see all the colours.


And when they finally did, they only smiled their colourful smiles.


Their fingers were still intertwined as they lay there, the grains of sand sticking to every part of their body and making them more connected than before.


The sky was a beautiful clear black today, and the diamonds in the sky shined as bright as he did for her and she did for him.


They lay there till the sky lightened and the rays of the sun shined off their wet bodies.


They lay there until the colours changed, and even after they did.


They lay there until all the blacks and whites and greys of the world didn’t matter, and what only mattered was each other.


And when the diamonds returned in all their twinkling glory, they held on to each other and didn’t let go.

February 27, 2021 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

145 comments

HeYaaa i asked a buncha ppl to upvote uuuu-but u a boy/girl if u don't wanna reply then just say "I prefer not to say"

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:44 Mar 06, 2021

I am a girl :)

Reply

OkAY, sorry for miss-interpreting your gender!

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:09 Mar 06, 2021

That's totally alright :)

Reply

Heyaaaaa posted a new storyy, check it out, pleaseee?

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:24 Mar 06, 2021

I posted one too, could you check mine out as well?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jexica Marcell
20:21 Mar 05, 2021

Your nickname should be "AWESOMEEEEE" love cass

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:38 Mar 06, 2021

Thank you Cassia!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel Elle
05:51 Mar 03, 2021

I love this story 💕

Reply

Writer Maniac
05:52 Mar 03, 2021

Aww thanks! I would love your feedback on a story of mine called 'Still Have Each Other' which I'm really proud of :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eva Bhalla
03:48 Feb 28, 2021

This was unique, I would never have thought this story for this prompt! My sister, Anaya, Is doing that same thing with her story-no names, no dates. I feel like it's genius! At first I was confused at was going on but I got what everything was afterwards. Overall this honestly pretty great!

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:50 Feb 28, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Could you share your sister's profile, I would love to read her story!

Reply

Eva Bhalla
03:54 Feb 28, 2021

Well...she posting it to another place but you should read her stories she puts a lot of work into them! You can see her my follower page, here "Ananya Bhalla". Also thanks so much for accepting critique! It means a lot when writes want to grow and not just think theirs's are the best. You can always get better. Anyways, goodnight!

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:59 Feb 28, 2021

I'll be sure to check her out! I love getting critique, sometimes people don't even read the story completely and just send generic comments, so I really appreciate feedback, because it helps me improve :)

Reply

Eva Bhalla
04:03 Feb 28, 2021

Aww your so sweet-and right, as I said you can always improve! You improved alot I read many of your stories. You improved amazingly, I love that you accept you can get better! I am so glad to have met you! :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
04:06 Feb 28, 2021

Aww thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate it! I'm so glad to have met you too :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:11 Apr 22, 2021

This is beautiful, like everything you write. Your use of the words, "He", "She," and eventually "They" is really cool. How they both think that the other person is white and they are black makes them very relatable, at least to me. Great story!

Reply

Writer Maniac
03:34 Apr 23, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:21 Mar 31, 2021

WOW your birthday is on my birthdayyy!

Reply

Writer Maniac
14:34 Mar 31, 2021

Really?! Oh that's amazing!

Reply

14:37 Mar 31, 2021

Yeahh!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kanika G
07:28 Mar 25, 2021

I love this story! Beautifully penned. I like how the he and she view themselves and each other. I like how you've played on colors throughout the story to convey a lot more. A lot is left to the reader's imagination, which provides an immersive experience. You're very talented! I would love it if you could leave your feedback on my story 'The Questions with no Answers.' Thanks!

Reply

Writer Maniac
08:27 Mar 25, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I'll be sure to check out your story, would you please leave some feedback on 'Not Worth It' if you can? Thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:49 Mar 24, 2021

this is the kinda story (for me, at least) that you've got to read a couple of times to understand. and every time you read it, you get something more from it. i love this story <3

Reply

Writer Maniac
16:06 Mar 24, 2021

Aww thank you, I really appreciate it! I would love your feedback on 'Not Worth It' :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Neala S
15:32 Mar 18, 2021

i love your writing style in this story :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:35 Mar 18, 2021

Thank you so much! I would love it if you checked out 'Not Worth It' :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.Dot Ram
03:26 Mar 15, 2021

Such intriguing imagery in this story! All of your descriptions are very beautiful and ephemeral. There are just enough solid things in here to keep readers from drowning in it. I very much enjoyed it for what it was, but also had questions about who the characters were (I certainly knew who they were to each other, but not exactly who they were. At one point I even wondered if they were both human, possibly just because I've read too many other things about mermaids and spirits, etc.) The extended color metaphor was great-- you really commi...

Reply

Writer Maniac
04:07 Mar 15, 2021

Aww thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I have a few more stories that I would like some feedback on, which are 'Still Have Each Other', 'Remember that Night', 'Game Over' and 'Not Worth It'. Please don't feel like you need to read them right now, and you can choose not to. I just would love to know what you think of them.

Reply

A.Dot Ram
04:43 Mar 15, 2021

Great. I'll get there eventually. I'm glad to dive in to your work. (Haha)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
19:57 Mar 14, 2021

I- No words. Absolutely none, Mania. I think you should be so so so proud of yourself, I really enjoyed reading this story, it might be my favourite. The description between ‘He’, ‘She’ and ‘They’ was perfect, and the flow of the whole story was like poetry. I’m so glad you told me to read this story, because it’s an actual masterpiece. Fabulous work as always! :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:20 Mar 15, 2021

Aww thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I tried something new with the perspectives, so I'm glad it worked well, thanks again!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
06:23 Mar 15, 2021

No problem! Your writing is amazing :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ian Mcleod-goss
21:48 Mar 08, 2021

y

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sunny 🌼
23:57 Mar 06, 2021

So I heard you got downvoted. Don't worry too much about it ok? Your points don't define how good your writing is! P.S, this story was great! I really enjoyed it!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:34 Mar 07, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! Thank you for the support :)

Reply

Sunny 🌼
02:44 Mar 07, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.