Tusks and Dagger Part Nine: The Living Dead, and A New friend.

Written in response to: Set your story in a world where the currency isn’t money — or at least not money as we understand it.... view prompt

1 comment

Adventure Fantasy Romance

A fever still burned my face, the cough was still tickling my throat.  Sliding my hand down to my stomach, it is still just a small bump.  A village bustled in front of, human looking people milling about.  Something confused me, there was no currency in this town.  People seemed to trade with goods, not money.  How does one make change with a cow, I thought to myself.  Strong arms wrapped around my waist, Boran’s hand resting on my stomach. 

“Are these humans?” He queried softly, feeling my forehead. “You should lay down.  Your fever hasn’t broken.”  Shaking my head, my teeth bit my tongue.  Wincing in pain, chills ran up my spine. Stumbling forward, Boran caught me by the waist.  My vision blurred, blood pouring from my nose.  A heavy object hit the back of my head, darkness enveloping me. 

My head throbbed violently, three large men with black masks circling all of us. Dirt covered their yellowing wool shirts, an icy breeze nipping at my face through the hole in the roof above our heads.  White snowflakes drifted in, a sneeze exploding from my nose.  Glancing around, the whole town was around us.  

“You are going to be our dinner.” An elderly man announced gleefully, swinging a machete around. “We have been capturing random travelers for years.  Hell, we aren’t even human.”  Snapping his fingers, the human facade faded to rotting skin.  Maggots squirmed under his skin, yellow teeth peeking out from his cheek.  Tears welled up in my eyes, cold sweat dripping off of my brow.  

Everything I ate threatened to visit again, my eyes falling on the walking corpses around us.  Mary and Kara shifted uncomfortably, their white crystal blades just sitting out of reach.  Clearing my throat, a defiant grin danced across my determined face.  

“I am afraid that I don’t taste that great without ketchup.” I coughed, sweat drenching my skin. “Do you really think that we will just all lay down and die?”  The rope around my wrists cut into my delicate skin, the blue rose tattoo glowing blue.  Blue energy burned the ropes, the energy spreading to everyone else’s rope.  Too sick to move, Boran leapt in front of me.  Voices faded in and out, everyone leaping into action.   Swinging his club around, rotting heads rolled to my legs.  Pull yourself together, the twins' robes spinning around as they cut the dead bodies down.  Lord Kanama and Lord Karama raised black curved blades, chains hanging off of the waist of their ornate suits.  The black and white flashed in the sky, black flames mixed with white flames.  The bodies turning to ash around me, horror paralyzed everyone as  the bodies reformed.  Merlin spun his pocket watch around, a vortex protecting us from the banging fists.  Scooting back, my fingers trembled.  Struggling to my feet, my braid clung to my sticky skin.  Boran tried to stop me as my scythe slid to my palms.  Vines crept up my arm, my footing rather unsteady. 

“Mina, grant me the powers to purify these lost souls.” I wheezed, coughing up a drop of blood. “Powers of the light, vanquish the evil from these lost souls.”  Slamming the tip of my blade into the ground, blue vines shot up from the ground.  Bones crumbled to ash, the vortex dying down.  Collapsing to my knees, the walking corpses were gone.  This was too easy, I thought to myself.  Mina whined behind me, a black knight stepped in front of us.  Dark energy curled off of him, his fingers snapping.  Taking off his helmet, our jaws dropped to the ground. Silky blonde hair cascaded down her back, dark brown eyes shooting a death glare in Merlin’s direction.  Confusion twisted our faces, scarlet burning his teeth.  

“How dare you ditch me after a wild night, Merlin!” She barked hotly, slapping his face. My eyebrows twitched, her armor disappearing. Her five foot seven frame nearly matched mine, a black chain mail dress hugging her hourglass figure.  Confusion twisted my face, her lips smashing into Merlin’s.  A dazed look dulled his eyes, another sharp voice snapping us out of the show playing out.  

“How dare you defy me, Maryanna!” A tall gray haired man, his black armor glistening in the afternoon sun. “You have been ordered by the black knights to kill these fools.” A snarl curled on my lips, stumbling in front of her.  Leaning heavily on my scythe, tears of pain streamed down my face.  Blood dripped from the corner of my mouth, my magic destroying me from the inside. 

“I refuse to give her back.” I growled through gritted teeth, my body trembling. “If she wants to be free, then she gets to be free.”  Coughing up a storm, a sneeze erupted from my nose.  This cold really needed to go away, Boran stepping in front of me.  A black ball and chain spun in the knight’s hand.  Charging at him, the chain wrapped around his spiked club.  The two pulled each other back and forth, the feeling of helplessness poisoning my mood.  Enough was enough, blue flames licked my feet.  My tattoo curled up my arm, blue flames devoured my blade. Intense pain shook my body, this power weakening by the second.  Charging at him, he dodged my attack.  

“You can try, but you have been poisoned by the water in the cat temple.” He warned cautiously, tossing me a green vial of liquid. “That shit is so dangerous for humans or magical beings.  Clearly you didn’t know that.  Do you really want to support these people?” Maryanna nodded, his expression softening.  Bowing in my direction, he withdrew his ball and chain. 

“I guess it is time for my daughter to step out on her own.” He sighed deeply, winking in my direction. “You have balls, kid. Even though you literally look like hell, you still decided to defend my daughter.  You passed the test.”  A scowl pressed on Boran’s lips, his arms crossing across his chest.  

“I didn’t go near any type of temple.” I stammered awkwardly, the knight shaking his head. “I never did anything like that.”   A purr snapped me awake, the damn cat king popping up behind me.  Shaking his head, his paw thwacked the back of my head. 

“How dare you say that! I made Sir Onyx here deliver your antidote.”  He purred playfully, my eyebrow twitching. “I just came to say hi, and to make sure you got the antidote to the poison in the temple’s water.  We can’t thank you enough for all that you did.  If you need anything, then just ring this bell.” Passing me a pink bell, a snarl curled on my lips.  

“I need you to go before you idiots say anything else!” I screamed bitterly, my voice cracking. “He didn’t know and now you just got me in trouble with my hus-, no boyfriend.”  Ripping out the cork, the thick green liquid coated my throat.  Wanting to throw it back up, I forced myself to swallow it.  The world blurred, my body swaying.  Raising my finger in protest, Boran caught me in his arms.  Dark energy curled off of him, his eyes boring into mine.  Tears welled up in his eyes, a single teardrop crashing onto my face.  

“Go away!” He roared viciously, everyone giving us privacy. “How dare you do something without me and lie to me about it!” Ripping Sir Acorn out of my pocket, he glared at him.  Sir Acorn shook in his palm, his tail tucking in between his legs. 

“It was my fault.” He blurted out shakily, trying to run back over to me. “She chose to help me, and I am so sorry.”  A growl rumbled from deep within his throat, my body trembling.  Pinning me to the ground, he tossed him aside.  His face hovered over my face, his hair was a curtain around my face.  Trying to shove him off, he clutched me close to his chest.  His heart was racing away, tears crashing on top of my head.  

“I am sorry. I just don’t want to lose you.” He wept softly, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. “I need you two in my life.  Did you almost say husband?” Sliding his hand down to my bump, he kissed the top of my head.  Cupping his face, my lips pressed against his lovingly.  Unable to move, my fingers gripped his simple white wool shirt. 

“I love you, tusks.” I squeaked out, my lips trembling as tears flooded from my eyes. “Is this a proposal?” His warm eyes met mine, his hand resting on my bump.  Kissing my lips hungrily, my heart fluttered.  He hadn’t kissed me like this before, sliding my hand over his.  Hope burned inside of me, the thought of being his wife making me happy.  

“Tusks?” He queried oddly, a crooked grin lighting up his face. “I like it.  So you want to be my wife, I can get with that.  Are you sure you want me as a husband?”  The bushes rustled around us, Mary and Kara peeking over the bushes.  A soft blush rose to our cheeks, the whole gang coming out of the bushes.  

“I want to marry you.” I admitted sheepishly, Boran’s face coming to life. “I want to bear a lot of children for you.  So I ask you, Boran.  Will you join me in life? Will you become my husband, and always sit by my side?”  Cocking his brow, our friends crept in closer.  

“Are you asking me, my little Lottie?” He asked playfully, my fingers wiping away his tears. “Of course, my dear.  I will marry you.  I promise to give you as many kids as you want.”  Tears welled up in my eyes, everyone cheering behind me.  Snuggling into his chest, Sir Acorn ran up with a silver banded ring with a blue rose in the center.  My breath hitched at the sight of it, Boran smiling warmly in his direction.   

“I teamed up with Merlin to make it.” Sir Acorn offered sweetly, passing it to Boran.  Sliding it onto my ring finger, his lips pressed against mine passionately.  Merlin waved in the distance, holding Maryanna closer to his waist.  Everyone  left us alone again, the smell of a lunch being made wafting in our direction. My stomach growled, scarlet burning my cheeks.  

“Let’s go get some food.” He chirped cheerfully, carefully carrying me over to the fire. “Your stomach just told me that you are rather hungry.”  Saying nothing, he set me down.  My vision blurred, resting my head on his lap.  Petting my head, his touch was putting me to sleep.  Yawning, he shot me a loving look while chatting away with everyone else.  Sitting up, someone passed me a plate.  The first bite was heavenly, my taste buds setting ablaze on my tongue.  The food felt great in my stomach, almost as if it was the first meal that I have had in a while.  Finishing my plate, a chuckle tumbled from Boran’s lips.  

“Someone was hungry.” He joked lightly, a scoff tumbling from my lips.  Cocking my brow, I was still hungry.  Ignoring the feeling, I laid my head back down on his lap.  His fingers played with my hair, exhaustion weighing heavily on my eyes.  Resting my hands on my bump, sweet slumber took me to dreamland. 

August 19, 2022 15:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Corey Melin
18:04 Nov 26, 2022

Well done as usual. I have been reading a R. A. Salvatore book and you have similarities. Always a good sign.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.