39 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Oh, Glorious Majesty of Sacred Powers!

Um, who me?

Wondrous Redeemer and All-powerful Lord.

Well, I wouldn’t go so far as that…

Heavenly Esteemed One, whose power fills all things, whose bounty is good and whose name is to be exalted above all others.

Now I just need to check, are you speaking to me…

Creator of all, Knower of all that is, was and will be.

…or are you speaking at me?

I say, who is interrupting me in my prayers?

I’m sorry, but you were talking to me.

Who is this?

Well now, if you’re not sure, then perhaps you had better not continue your prayer until you’ve checked who you want to pray to.

What do you mean?

You did evoke my name, or at least I think that’s what you were doing. You’ve mentioned so many titles here, I don’t think you actually got to my name, so perhaps you were trying to speak with another.

Look, I’m just trying to say my prayers here.

I can appreciate that, but perhaps you could be a little more succinct. With over a few billion people to listen to, I’m finding myself a bit pressed for time. Can we fast-forward all the expository stuff, and get down to business?

Um, sure, but I don’t know where I’m up to in my prayer now.

Just start at the beginning.

Oh, Glorious Majesty…

No, I mean after the salutations. Just cut all that and start with ‘Dear George’.

George! Oh no, I couldn’t possibly… wait, your name is George? Really?

I kind of liked it. You know dragon killing and all; it sounds perfectly romantic. If you don’t know my name, then are you sure that you're praying to the right deity?

Um… I don’t know. How many deities are there?

Let me think… you know, I’ve never really counted. There are all sorts around here. Would you like to hang up and try calling upon someone else? It seems as if you are a bit unsure of your faith here.

No, I’m sure! I’m quite faithful. Have prayed every day of my life.

And yet you didn’t know my name?

OK, but to be fair, we’ve been told not to speak the All Powerful One’s Holy Name.

Such nonsense! How are you to speak with me, without knowing my name? What if you are speaking to the wrong person… I mean god. How would you know if you’ve called upon the right name, if you can’t say the name? You seem to want to waste a lot of time beating about the bush with indirect address.

Shall I return to my prayer?

Absolutely, but you may wish to make it snappy.

Dear… George. No, that doesn’t feel right. I can’t possibly pray like that.

Fine… say whatever makes you comfortable, but please just get to the point.

Ok. Oh Glorious Majesty of Sacred Powers! Wondrous Redeemer and All-powerful Lord. Heavenly Esteemed One, whose power fills all things, whose bounty is good and whose name is to be exalted above all others. Creator of all, knower of all that is, was and will be. Holiest Lord, Almighty One.

Would have been quicker to say ‘Dear George’, just saying.

Your mercy fills all the earth and Your almighty and powerful sword touches those whose hearts fail to know You.

Mercy and vengeance. Make your mind up. What do you want from me?

Give me a heart that is unfailing and true. Grant me the strength to be your hand and voice to all I meet. Use me as your weapon for righteousness in the world and lead me on the path to your heavenly home, to be with you always until the end of time.

You really don’t ask for much do you?

I don’t know what you mean? These are the words I’ve been taught to pray.

Your heart is as true as you can make it. However, you’ve not said what you want it to be true to.

Ahh… true to you, I suppose.

You suppose? Don’t you know?

Well yes, I do. I want to be true to you, to follow in your ways.

My ways, well now that’s interesting isn’t it? I will have to think about that for a while. Pray, continue.

Um… Amen?

Amen? That’s it?

Yes. That’s the prayer.

Righto, then. You want me to give you the strength to be my hand and voice to everyone you meet.

Ah-ha.

Everyone?

Yes.

What about that person over there?

Which person? The smelly, homeless one?

I would have said ‘the person without a stable housing situation or access to sanitation,’ but yes, the homeless one.

What is it you want me to do? Move them on? Stop them from cluttering up the steps to your temple?

My hand wants to help them and my voice wants to share a meal with them.

Aaah? They don’t look too savoury, Oh Holy One. He is giving me the evil eye, and I think he is checking the size of my bag.

Well, you do like to carry around an exorbitant number of things with you. You’re not a travelling merchant, are you?

Travelling merchant? Of course not!

It wouldn’t make any difference to me. I like merchants as much as I like… actually, what is it that you do?

I’m a tax attorney.

You don’t say! Well… never let it be said that I discriminate based on employment status. It is surely a worthy occupation.

Thank you

And will you now be my hands and offer assistance to the one who’s challenged in the fixed abode aspect of his life?

He spat at me!

He what? What did you say to him?

I merely told him that the Grand Governer on behalf of the King of Mephostat offers shelter for those without houses. I suggested he might like to take himself there. You’d think he’d be grateful.

Do you think you might have been a bit condescending?

Me? No, I was just stating facts.

Seriously!

Yes, homelessness is a very serious matter. Vagrancy in the city streets is frowned upon, you know. That’s why our good tax dollars go towards building shelters for those without homes, so they can be removed from the street.

Have you ever been inside one of these shelters?

Of course not. I have a home.

Very well. Now you asked to be a weapon for righteousness in the world. There is a group of people over there who are in need of a hero.

Where? Those ragged women?

Those women have fled here from Whandaria.

If they are from Whandaria, surely they have political asylum and should be processed accordingly. What are they doing on the streets?

They may have arrived without the necessary documentation.

Illegally, you mean? You expect me to assist people in breaking the law?

Well, when your country is being torn apart by rampant dragons of one faction or another, there really isn’t time to wait for the necessary paperwork to go through. Red tape, you know, it can take years.

I will not risk my good standing in the community to assist people who have not accessed our beautiful country appropriately.

You won’t risk your good standing with the community, but you’re willing to risk your good standing with your… what did you call me… ‘Wondrous redeemer and all-powerful Lord’? Was that the right title?

But… well… do you think I might hang up now and perhaps try again? I think I may have called upon the wrong deity after all.

Perhaps you have. I wish you all the best for your next prayer, then. Some of the deities here are less forgiving and understanding than I am. Frank has been known to lower his callers into writhing pits of vipers, and just the other day, Tim had that boy chained to a rock so the birds would continuously eat his liver. Enjoy.

Ah, no… Holy One…? George? Are you there?

May 08, 2023 12:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Lily Finch
04:28 May 12, 2023

Michelle, on the surface it struck me like a Seinfeld episode as I read it through. The depth and perplexity came afterward. I see the plight of the countryless - illegal aliens looking for asylum who manage to get through the border boundaries only to be homeless in their newly found country. I enjoyed how you made a very serious topic seem so nonchalant much like many people in the country who know about homelessness but as an act of omission don't do anything to help. It perhaps reflects on where people's heads are when it comes to ...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
10:56 May 12, 2023

Thank you so much for reading it and leaving such detailed comments. I’m glad all the themes came through hopefully with enough humour to keep the tone light but the message serious.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
20:50 May 11, 2023

Hi Michelle, I really enjoyed the nature of this piece, because I think that dialogue pieces in the most interesting ones to read. Dialogue can be such a powerful way to create a character and when it’s a piece that is centered solely on the dialogue, you get to literally read between the lines. You had a lot of really interesting ethical questions for this piece, and I think that you did a great job of delicately, addressing each one. I loved that the way that the story also incorporated a little bit of humor because I think it was much ne...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:37 May 11, 2023

Thank you for reading it. I’m glad the humour worked to offset the heavier message and hopefully didn’t detract from it,

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
12:48 May 11, 2023

Great read, with a lot of depth. Another Michelle Oliver classic. "Yes, homelessness is a very serious matter. Vagrancy in the city streets is frowned upon, you know. That’s why our good tax dollars go towards building shelters for those without homes, so they can be removed from the street." This. This says it all, and is validated by subsequent paragraphs dealing with immigration issues. The person doing the praying misses everything important about religion. 'Works without faith is dead,' comes to mind. Mindless repetition of prayers st...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:33 May 11, 2023

Thanks I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’m not sure how well it fits the prompt this week. I always love reading a Delbert Griffith comment, you manage to see right into the heart of a piece of writing. Thank you again, you make my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Cornell
08:11 May 11, 2023

Another enjoyable read. I don't notice any heavy use of Australian phrases when I read it, as one myself. But maybe that's why.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:45 May 11, 2023

Thanks Lisa. I made a few adjustments, I was a bit heavy on the “well…” to start sentences. Thank you for taking the time to read it and leave a comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:43 May 10, 2023

Heh, very amusing :) It's a bit like faith-on-autopilot, where the mortal just follows the steps without knowing why. Or maybe it's a dig at blind faith, unquestioning faith, where they never care to learn the drive behind these rules - and indeed, find these questions deeply uncomfortable. A bit like the difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. "Um… we’ll, I don’t know" - should be "well" It's an amusing story, though from the POV of the deity, also a little sad. George listens to everyone, but nobody listens...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:56 May 10, 2023

Thanks for the pick up. Upon re-reading I noticed how many times I used ‘well’ especially to start sentences. I’m not sure if it’s an Australian thing, a bit like “yeah, nah”. It is a word that slips into a lot of speech here, but when I read the story back, it annoyed me, (probably as much as an Australian accent annoys others,) so I took out quite a few. Thanks for taking the time to comment on this story. I probably won’t submit this one though, I’m. Not sure how well it actually addresses the prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
17:03 May 10, 2023

Such typical Michelle magic! Do we know to whom we pray? Do we know for what we pray? Do we recognize answers to prayers? Do we obey when guided?

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:57 May 10, 2023

Yep, so many levels of philosophical here. Thanks for taking the time to read it and I appreciate the response.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:52 May 08, 2023

Michelle, this was a very clever take on the prompt! I love the dialogue format between mortal and deity, and your story really touches on something I've often thought of in the religious world xD Your mortal has very specific ideas about what it means to pray, and seem to be satisfied with recitation rather than having an actual conversation their their god. You use humor in a delightful way to speak on a more serious subject, and I think that will make it accessible to so many readers. Well done! <3

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:24 May 08, 2023

Thanks for reading it Hannah. Yes sometimes religion seems to be lip service only, and the true call to action is ignored. I’m happy that the humour helped to lighten the subject a little.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:20 Jul 19, 2023

Oh gosh that was funny! That was just amazing. Serious topic dealt with in an amusing way. Couldn't get better. Tim (at the end) was a reference to the Greek myth of Prometheus where his liver gets eaten by an eagle? Clever.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:28 Jul 19, 2023

Yep you got it. I wasn’t trying to make a comment on any one religion or another, just to comment that faith without action (whichever faith it is) is empty. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tamra Holms
00:09 May 29, 2023

You address serious issues and actual thoughts people have about them. I don't agree with those thoughts but I think this is wonderfully put together and also a bit funny. Thank you for telling this story.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:12 May 29, 2023

Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Olive Silirus
17:01 May 20, 2023

I really like how your story expresses that people often like to say they are followers of a certain religion, faithful and dutiful, but would actually rather not do anything in the name of the god they supposedly serve. I think it was quite well done, and I also liked the little reference to other mythologies at the end.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:34 May 20, 2023

Thank you for reading and responding. I’m glad the message came through.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Don Tucker
13:24 May 18, 2023

I love the unique format and perspective of your story.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:49 May 18, 2023

Thank you for reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Peter Wyatt
18:21 May 16, 2023

Hi Michelle, I too enjoyed the conversational structure of the story. It was a very engaging read. Someone earlier said it reminded them of Monty Python. I definitely agree with that. Clever approach with the prompt. Look forward to reading more of your works.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
21:58 May 16, 2023

Thank you for reading it and I’m happy that you enjoyed the humour.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michael Clark
15:42 May 16, 2023

Such a cheeky exploration of religious idealism. I enjoyed how human George seemed so human through his blunt wording and his commonplace name. Frank has been known to lower people into pits of vipers. Hilarious. I rather enjoyed the subtle social commentary when George asked the tax attorney to help those in need, even questioning whether or not the services the government was providing were suited to help or not.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
21:59 May 16, 2023

Thanks for reading it Michael. I’m happy that the humour didn’t detract from the message.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Soumyaa Panddey
11:57 May 16, 2023

Such a fun story! I think that ‘All talk and no work’ fits the character so much. Praying to god but never actually having to do something for good of the world. It got deeper and more meaningful as it progressed. Great message!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
12:42 May 16, 2023

Thanks for reading, I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Miller
19:08 May 15, 2023

Hi Michelle. The pomposity busting humour is a great way of tackling the hypocrisy/political points and has a nice Monty Python feel. I can hear Graham Chapman and John Cleese acting it out. My story this week was about the very naughty boy that "Tim" had tied to a rock.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:41 May 15, 2023

Thanks Chris, I was channeling that Monty python vibe here. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
04:03 May 15, 2023

I like science fiction as it allows stories about true societal issues to be talked about. The 'illegal aliens ' coming into the country and the request for a god to intervene was fantastic. I appreciate the humor as well! I thought this line was great- 'You won’t risk your good standing with the community, but you’re willing to risk your good standing with your...'

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:51 May 15, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to read this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
05:03 May 14, 2023

Hey Michelle, I found myself laughing out loud reading your latest story. What a great idea and what an engaging combination of social observation and cutting humour. To my mind, you made some serious points about the nature of prayer and belief in a higher being. When it comes down to it, I’m guessing that most devout individuals have never questioned the wording of their evocations and would run a mile if they encountered desperate people who needed their help, so well done. I look forward to your next story. Take care HH

Reply

Michelle Oliver
07:55 May 14, 2023

Thanks Howard, I hope the humour was enough for people to enjoy the story, but not detract from the message. Thanks for reading it.

Reply

Howard Halsall
08:02 May 14, 2023

It was perfectly gauged :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
J Lee Ratcliffe
00:41 May 14, 2023

The seriousness of the message and the casualness of the dialogue really works here. The common names you chose really add to the humor. Poor George, humans are exasperating!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:38 May 14, 2023

Thanks for reading and commenting. I am glad the balance between serious and humour worked. It’s hard to write about heavy topics without bogging the reader down. Adding humour is tricky because you don’t want to water down the message too much. I’m happy that it worked for you.

Reply

J Lee Ratcliffe
01:39 May 18, 2023

Yes, definitely not an easy feat. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michael Clark
15:42 May 16, 2023

Such a cheeky exploration of religious idealism. I enjoyed how human George seemed so human through his blunt wording and his commonplace name. Frank has been known to lower people into pits of vipers. Hilarious. I rather enjoyed the subtle social commentary when George asked the tax attorney to help those in need, even questioning whether or not the services the government was providing were suited to help or not.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.