Persuasion - A Cat's Tale

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'Persuasion'.... view prompt

4 comments

Friendship Funny

Ziggy Starr the Third, or Ziggy as his human (whom he generously tolerated) called him, was not your average feline. He wasn't particularly interested in napping in sunbeams (far too predictable), chasing elusive red dots (tiresome), or meticulously grooming his already pristine fur (a waste of good napping time). No, Ziggy had a far more audacious ambition – to convince his canine companion, a boisterous Jack Russell Terrier named Bandit, that he was, in fact, a dog himself.

The idea struck Ziggy one afternoon while Bandit was gleefully chasing squirrels in the park. Ziggy, perched regally on a park bench, watched with a disdainful flick of his tail. "So pedestrian," he muttered to himself. "Barking, fetching, tail-chasing… why can't he aspire to something more?"

Suddenly, a mischievous thought tickled his whiskers. What if he could convince Bandit he, Ziggy, was a dog too? He could join in the fun, experience the world from a different perspective, and perhaps even teach Bandit a thing or two about feline sophistication (unlikely, but a cat can dream).

The next morning, as Bandit bounded excitedly at the prospect of their daily walk, Ziggy put his plan into action. Gone were the days of leisurely strolls and disdainful sniffs. Ziggy, tail held high (well, as high as feline anatomy allowed), trotted alongside Bandit, even attempting a bark that sounded suspiciously like a strangled meow. Bandit, bless his simple heart, seemed impressed.

"Wow, Ziggy! You never barked before!" he exclaimed, tail wagging furiously.

Ziggy puffed out his chest, the effort making him feel a bit dizzy. "Of course I did," he meowed, trying his best to make it sound gruff. "Just haven't felt the need to, you know, express myself that way… much."

From that day on, Ziggy became Bandit’s canine (or so he claimed) apprentice. He "learned" to fetch (emphasis on the air quotes, as retrieving the ball involved a lot of dramatic swats and disdainful nudges). He "practiced" his bark (which evolved into a series of increasingly frustrated meows). He even attempted to "dig" holes, which mostly resulted in him rolling around playfully in the dirt, much to Bandit’s amusement.

The charade wasn't without its challenges. Dog parks, filled with boisterous hounds and slobbery retrievers, tested Ziggy’s composure. He endured tail-wags to the face with a stoic expression (though his fur might have puffed up in mild annoyance). He learned to dodge slobbery kisses with ninja-like agility (much to Bandit’s disappointment).

One afternoon, during a particularly chaotic game of fetch with a pack of Labradors, disaster struck. A rogue tennis ball landed squarely on Ziggy’s head. He let out a yowl of indignation that sent the Labradors scrambling in confusion. Bandit, however, barked excitedly.

"Wow, Ziggy! That was your best bark yet!" Bandit exclaimed.

Ziggy, dignity momentarily forgotten, swatted the ball away with a disgruntled meow. "Just a… vocalization variation," he mumbled, hoping Bandit wouldn't notice the tremor in his voice.

Despite the occasional slip-up, Ziggy’s charade continued. He discovered a newfound joy in the simple act of running alongside Bandit (even if it left him slightly winded). He found the chaotic camaraderie of the dog park strangely exhilarating (though the slobber remained a challenge). Most importantly, he developed a deeper bond with his canine companion.

One day, a new, much larger dog joined the park. Ruff, a hulking Doberman, surveyed the scene with a disdainful sniff. Bandit, ever friendly, bounded towards him, tail wagging furiously. Ziggy, fueled by a misplaced sense of canine duty, followed close behind.

Ruff, however, wasn't interested in playful greetings. He let out a deep growl, sending shivers down Ziggy’s spine. Bandit, sensing the danger, yelped and scurried back. But Ziggy, frozen in a moment of fear, stood his ground. Ruff, surprised by the audacity of the tiny "dog," lowered his head slightly.

It was then that something unexpected happened. Ziggy, summoning every ounce of courage within him, let out a deafening… meow. It wasn't a regular meow, though. It was a primal yell, a sound that echoed through the park. Ruff, startled by this unexpected display, backed down. With a final sniff, he turned and trotted away.

Bandit rushed to Ziggy, licking his face with gratitude. "Wow, Ziggy," he exclaimed, using his human's nickname for the first time, "that was the bravest meow I've ever heard!"

Ziggy, shaken but triumphant, realized something profound. He didn't need to be a dog to be brave. He didn't need to chase frisbees (though he still enjoyed the occasional attempt) or dig holes (though the shredded leaves were oddly satisfying). He was Ziggy, a cat who chased mice with feline finesse, who basked in the sun with purring contentment, and who, when needed, could unleash a mighty meow that would rival any canine bark.

One rainy afternoon, curled up with Bandit by the fireplace, Ziggy realized something unexpected. He didn't need to be a dog to experience joy. He could be a cat who appreciated the thrill of the chase, the camaraderie of a friend, and the simple comfort of a shared fireplace.

"You're a terrible dog, you know that?" a familiar meow suddenly startled him.

Ziggy nearly jumped out of his fur. It was Whiskers, the neighborhood stray, perched on the windowsill, a smug look on his face.

"Says the cat pretending to be a dog," Ziggy retorted, but without any real heat. He knew Whiskers wouldn't understand.

Whiskers hopped down and sauntered closer. "You know, there's nothing wrong with being a cat. We have our own ways of having fun."

Ziggy considered this. Perhaps Whiskers was right. He didn't need to pretend to be something he wasn't. He could still join Bandit on his walks, although at a slightly more feline pace. He could still chase squirrels (though from the safety of a high branch, thank you very much).

The next day, during their walk, Ziggy announced his newfound self-acceptance. "Bandit," he declared, tail held high in a truly feline way, "

"...while chasing a particularly plump robin is certainly beneath me, observing its panicked flight patterns from a strategically placed tree branch? Now that's sophisticated hunting technique, wouldn't you agree?"

Bandit, tail wagging, tilted his head. "Yeah, sure, Ziggy! You do you. But hey, if you see a squirrel, maybe you could still give it a good chase with me for old time's sake?"

Ziggy purred, a sound suspiciously close to a chuckle. "Perhaps a short chase, for the sake of camaraderie. But only if you promise not to expect any fetching involved."

Bandit barked in agreement, and they continued down the street, a mismatched pair – a Jack Russell Terrier and a cat who, despite their differences, had found joy in their unique friendship.

May 01, 2024 07:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Beverly Goldberg
00:24 May 09, 2024

I'm allergic to animal dander and have, as a result, little, until your marvelous story thought much about animal personalities. You so brought Ziggy and Bandit to life that it wasn't till I mulled over the tale (pun intended) that I saw the connection to people learning to know one another as a way to end discrimination. Brilliant.

Reply

Sofia Mullan
00:44 May 11, 2024

Thanks Bev, I'm glad you liked it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:44 May 08, 2024

Had to read your cat story, Sophia. I have written a few myself - Hank, Charlie, Oscar are the names of my cat characters. Be yourself, great premise. And, well written. "But only if you promise not to expect any fetching involved." - this sentence, "But only if you promise not to involve me in any fetching" ? or "But only if you don't expect me to fetch anything." ? or 'But only if there is no fetching involved.' ? (Use either 'expect' or 'involve' - not both together as it doesn't read smoothly.

Reply

Sofia Mullan
23:55 May 08, 2024

Thanks Kaitlyn for the tip :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.