My Spirit, My Soul~

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write a story about someone feeling powerless.... view prompt

5 comments

Drama Fantasy

In the quiet morning with birds chirping on the branches of trees and the trees waving along the pleasant air breeze, Ariel woke up and dressed up herself. Meet Ariel Azzerta, the youngest daughter of the Azzerta family of sorcerers. She is a lazy girl who is always caught by extreme laze. But she also wishes to become a sorceress just like her sister one day. “Ah, I wish I could also be respectful like my sister.” She murmured to herself. A door knock came and her servant called he for breakfast, “Young mistress, please come by for breakfast. And your sister, Elder mistress Amie is also here. It’s so nice to see her after 3 months! And more best is that she has brought her a spirit shadow too!” said her servant. Ariel was not happy but rather afraid of her. She asked her what a spirit shadow is? “My God! Young mistress, you don’t even know what a spirit shadow is? How will you become a sorceress in the future?” she said. Ariel was very angry and with violent voice she yelled on her servant, “OH?! IS THAT SO?! LIKE I WANT TO, HUH? NOW SCRAM!!!!” Ariel had always felt powerless and was never proud of herself.


And with that, she sat on the dining table for breakfast. Their Mother, the current head of the family, introduced Amie’s Spirit Shadow, “People of my household, this is Alma, Amie’s spirit shadow.”  “Hello, I’m Alma, nice to meet all of you.” Said Alma. Their mother asked to Amie how she got the spirit shadow. “When I was exorcising the evil spirits, I found her in a car accident. Then I made her my spirit shadow.” Explained Amie. “So now, you will have to take full responsibility of your spirit shadow.” Said her mother. “Of course I will, I share my half soul with her. I will do it nicely.” Replied Amie. After that, Amie gave Ariel a weird glance. Ariel was afraid and wondered, “Oh, so famous just because you found a spirit shadow? What are they exactly? Gay pair! Humph!” 


After the breakfast, Ariel decided to become a greater sorceress than her sister and surpass her. So she set her journey to the best Sorcery Academy to become the world’s powerful sorceress. When it was time for her to leave the city and to go study to another city, her mother wished her farewell and said her to stay safe and well. “Alright then mother, we will be leaving now.” Said Ariel. Along her was her two friends who also wanted to study sorcery, Lumina and Sally. Then they set on their journey to Sorcery Academy. They arrived to Sorcery Academy, and met their teacher/master who was living along and protecting the academy by himself. It’s said that The master of Sorcery Academy, Lu-of is the most powerful White exorcist in the world. “Welcome to The Sorcery Academy, young ladies, Ah! Aren’t you Ariel Azzerta, it’s rare to see you here.” Welcomed master Lu-of. This annoyed Ariel a lot. After the dinner, they picked up their rooms of choice and started living there for the current year. 


1 year had passed and the three girls have now learned the best sorcery, the top student, who was the laziest person in the world, was Ariel Azzerta. Their Master Lu-of bid the 3 farewell, but suddenly, that changed Ariel’s mind. When Lumina and sally where to leave, Ariel suddenly stopped. “Come on! Ariel what’s wrong? Aren’t you coming with us?” asked the two. “Uh… no, I’m not leaving right now, not now! I’m not going to go home until I find my own Spirit Shadow! You two go on and have a happy life.” Said Ariel. This made Lumina and Sally very sad. Master Lu-of smiled at Ariel and they left. “Ah, so I see. You really are something, Lady Ariel.” Said Lu-of. “Master! Let me stay here a little longer, please! I want to search for my spirit shadow.” Asked Ariel. “Well… Of course you can, but be sure to keep your safety first.” Replied Lu-of. The next day, Master Lu-of called Mistress Iva Azzerta, Ariel’s mother, and informed her the situation. “Of course, I don’t mind her living with you, and I’m sure she will be safe. I didn’t see this determination of hers in the past 14 years, so I’m really glad.” Replied her happy mother. After the breakfast, Ariel set to the forest to find a spirit shadow. “Are you sure you will find anyone there?” asked Master Lu-of. “No, I’m not sure, but let me give a try.” Replied Ariel. Seeing her stubbornness, he let her go. “Ok, but be sure to keep safe and do not involve with the forest spirits.” He warned her. And then she left. When she came deep into the forest, she heard a voice calling to her for help, “Please help me!” She saw a young boy injured very badly. She quickly removed the thorns and casted a healing spell that she learned. “There! All done, by the way who did this to you?” she asked. The boy said his name is Lin and he was targeted by the harsh feral zombies in the forest. The forest is his home, so he can’t leave it but they were threatening him. Ariel casted a safety spell on him so he won’t get injured and then said to him, “This time, you’ll be fine. Go on and live peacefully!” He thanked her and left. Suddenly, Ariel heard a sound coming before her. A sound of people coming to kill someone. Ariel thought it would be dangerous, so she started to ran. In the meanwhile, Lu-Of was worried about her so he headed to the forest. Ariel was now stuck, “What should I do?!” When the feral zombies were going to kill her, Lu-of quickly came and wiped them away with his magic. He was a master in sorcery. Ariel was surprised to see that but she seemed to be a lot scarier than before in her training lessons. “What did you think you were doing?! Do you know how much feral zombies give damage to a mere human? You could have been dead if I didn’t have come.” With his big lecture to Ariel in the forest, yet polite, they came back to the academy. She almost died. Now Ariel was ashamed of herself that she couldn’t even destroy a bunch of feral zombies. So, she decided to go out of the country and find her spirit shadow. 


It was time for Ariel to come back to her home and say goodbye to the joyful days she spent with Master Lu-Of. “Alright Master! I’m leaving. I promise that you will be the first person to meet my spirit shadow.” Said Ariel. “Ha Ha! Very polite and manner full you have become in this 1 year and few months. Of course, I will be looking forward to meet your dear spirit shadow, have a good life. May God protect you.” He gave her blessings and casted the safety spell on her. With that all, she left. When she returned home, her mother gave her a warm hug and all the servants saw how much she changed. “Mother, please allow me to go to China and search for my own spirit shadow. I wish to surpass my fine sister.” Said Ariel. “My goodness! Of course you are allowed to go anywhere. But be sure to be always safe and I have heard mysterious and unusual incidents are happening in China, but you will be there with your uncle.” Explained her mother. Ariel wasn’t afraid of anyone, the courage she got from staying with Master Lu-Of, was not just something minor. The next day, she departed to China, Beijing. And on her arrival she met her uncle Samuel. “Ah! Long time didn’t see you, Ariel. How was family and Amie?” asked her uncle joyfully when he came to pick her up. “Well… mother was well and Master Lu-Of said hello to you. Sister Amie… don’t ask about her. She might be fine. She got her spirit shadow, successfully.” Replied Ariel. Then they arrived home. When they sat for dinner, every dish was Chinese XD After the dinner, Ariel said, “Uncle, you know why I’m here, right? I need to hurry up and search for my spirit shadow or else sister will be rewarded as the ‘Master of Sorcery’ and I can’t let that happen.” Her uncle understood and replied, “Well… of course you’re safe here and I also want to tell you something. Actually, last week before your arrival, My boss made a business trip plan, so tomorrow I need to go to another city here, so I hope you will do fine on your own.” This made Ariel feel like she is a burden on out of her family. “No, Of course I will be fine, what do you see me as? A baby? Just be careful and don’t worry about me!” she relieved her uncle. On the next day, Samuel left and Ariel also left the house to search for her spirit shadow. “I know this is hard but guess it’s the last option!” she muttered to herself. There on the street she saw a young boy of her same age, getting bullied, yelled by some elder folks. “Hey Ki! Today’s the deadline! Are you even listening?!” yelled someone from the group. “Uh… uh… I said I will clear it tomorrow just give me one more day, will you?” replied the one who was getting bullied. Ariel was surprised but from seeing the guys that they were arguing again and again, she turned to them. “Hey! You guys, when he says he WILL then what’s the point in arguing anymore?” she yelled back at them. They looked at her with a scary glance, “ho ho, who’s this little brat? I don’t like to hurt girls especially a cute one like ya, that’s why, get lost now, SCRAM!" Ariel was violently angry, suddenly one of the gang member came along with a bat and when he was going to kick on her head, Ki smacked on his neck. “Watch who you’re hitting at first! You ugly brat!” shouted Ki. And the police quickly came and arrested them all. “Thanks young mister, here’s your reward! 1000¥” and they left. “HA ah! Thanks for coming, miss, uh who?” He asked for her name. “Before knowing my name, would you care to tell me why were they bullying you?” replied Ariel. “They… they were not doing it on purpose, I was just not able to return my debt. Actually I was from a rich family, but they died so there wasn’t anything left for me. He he. I don’t have any relative, even if I have, they wouldn’t bother kicking me out of the family. So, umm… thanks again for saving me, I got this reward because of you, miss.” He explained to her. “Do Chinese give money over such things, huh? I’m Ariel Azzerta, from the family of Sorcerers in the world. I myself have completed my 1 year studies in The best Sorcery Academy, what about your name?” she replied with a calm smile. “It’s Ki Xian. Nice to meet you Ariel! I have heard about the Azzerta family’s great sorcery, and your grandfather was an absolute master in magic, right? I decided to go to Azzerta family for any job, so that’s why I took this debt.” He said. “Dah! It’s a shame for a Chinese native to be a total idiot! You could have talked to Samuel Azzerta, my uncle, for help. Anyways, I’m here to find my spirit shadow. But I haven’t found recently, my sister had found it years ago, and now people have hopes on me.” Ariel. Ki was a bit interested in Ariel, and he already planned to become a spirit shadow of a sorcerer even though he had to die for it. “Hey… Ariel, want to go somewhere for tea and cakes?” asked Ki gently. “Hm? Oh I see, well uncle’s not home, so I guess it will be fine. Let’s go!” replied Ariel. Ariel too thanked him for helping her and he laughed which made her annoy. “Here we are! The best café in town, Chi Weixian” said Ki. “What’s with the name? yeah Chinese, huh.” Said Arial. 


When they were eating, Ki came up with something weird. “Hey… Ariel, I may sound weird but, can I be your spirit shadow? I know I would have to die, but still it’s for my family’s respect!” Ariel accidentally spit the tea. “PFFFFT! What? What are you saying???” And they both stopped. The next day, someone came to Ariel’s home and asked her to exorcise the evil spirits in the mountains. “It seems like it’s my first job. He he.” She murmured to herself. “Ok! Wait for me tonight at 3pm” she said to him. On the same night, at 3pm, Ariel set to the mountains to fight the evil spirits. But when she saw that it was not just an evil spirit, but a Feral Spirit who made his prey Ki! She hurried up and casted a barrier spell for Ki. Therefore, Ki was shielded but yet too much injured to move a leg. Ariel was still having problem in defeating him. She casted a loads of powerful spells but each time, she failed. “Why am I feeling powerless? Ah now I see, it’s crazy for a lazy bum to fight a feral monster spirit. It was never possible for me to do anything physical.” She said to herself and started crying. With shedding tears for being powerless, Ki started to cheer for her, “YOU CAN DO IT! ARIEL DO NOT GIVE UP! YOU ARE THE BEST SORCERESS IN THE AZZERTA FAMILY! FIGHT, ARIEL!!” yelled Ki. With Ki’s cheering, she felt guilty, a boy, a mere human who is so much injured cheering for a girl who cannot even save a single human after learning so many spells, magic for nothing? And she got up, with her full strength, used a powerful magic. But, Alas! That spirit dodged it. Again she started feeling powerless. Then she heard Ki’s voice, “Ariel! Let me become your spirit shadow! I don’t care what happens.” Ariel tried to stop Ki, but then something came to her mind, “hey Ariel, you got your first spirit shadow. It’s wonderful, isn’t it. Now go make a spirit pact with him.” She quickly came back to consciousness and broke his shield. “Ki! I-I want you to be my spirit shadow, my soul sharer!” she yelled at him but suddenly, unfortunately, The feral beast scratched Ki with his huge claw which made Ki lost his life. His final tears paired with a smooth smile. That made Ariel cry too she begged him to come back to life, and remembered the rings Master Lu-Of gave her. (“Remember this, Ariel, if you ever found your spirit shadow, give these 2 ring pair to him. One on the thumb, and other on the index finger. This will make your Spirit Pact.”) And did exactly the same. Within seconds Ki’s soul left his body and a blue light appeared around his soul. “I don’t need a vessel, if I work for a Sorceress” he said with a smile on his face. Then they both combined their powers and killed the feral spirit beast. Ariel suddenly collapsed after using so many spells and magic. Ki carried her and took her to her uncle’s home. 


The next morning, When Ariel woke up she saw Ki laying next to her. “AHHH! Wha-what the?!” she screamed and her uncle hurried to her. “What? What happened, Ariel? Seriously, who are you yelling at?” her uncle seemed to be confused because he couldn't see Ki, as he was just a soul. “He died for me… he deserved a simple, good life. I’m sorry, Ki Xian.” She muttered to herself. When he woke up, Ariel asked him to come to her home. “I want everyone to see you, see that I’ve finally got a spirit shadow, but first let’s head to Master Lu-Of’s house near the forest.” She said to Ki. “Of course, Master!” Ki replied. Then the two departed back to her home town. Before they were going to enter the Academy, Ariel said to Ki that she needs to breathe life into Ki so other people can also see him. Then after she breathed life into him, yet hesitating and blushing, The Master Lu-Of came out to greet the both. First he didn’t recognised Ki, but then Ki introduced himself to Lu-Of. Lu-Of was really happy to see his student had become a successful, mature sorceress. “I’m glad my training and long lectures didn’t go waste. Ha ha!” said Lu-Of. “Yes, master, Thankyou a lot!” replied Ariel. Then they said goodbye to him and departed to Azzerta house. Everyone in the family came to greet her. “My sweet daughter!” her mother greeted her and kissed her on the cheek. It was the first time their mother had kissed one of her child. Also, to Ariel’s surprise, her sister, Amie was also there waiting for her. “Oh, hello again Ariel. Last time you were so angry to see me but now look I was curious to see you.” Said Amie. “Yes, sister I’m glad I surpassed you in 2 years.” Replied Ariel. When they met Ki, they all just look liked that they had fallen for him! Ki introduced himself to the family. “Are you ready to take responsibility for your spirit shadow, Ariel? I heard the news in china, where you and Ki defeated the Feral spirit beast, well done! Good job for surpassing Amie. I’m really proud of you.” Asked her mother. “Yes, mother. You can count on me! Just to assure all of you, our relationship isn’t like master-servant, but friends.” Replied Ariel. And they both smiled at each other.

September 06, 2020 15:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Writer Maniac
02:14 Sep 17, 2020

I like the story concept and the really sweet characters. I think that grammar should be paid attention to, and the dialogue should be made more realistic. Overall, I love it!

Reply

Yuki LangShan
18:50 Sep 17, 2020

Yes, I will fix it. If you found any mistakes, so I apologize for it. (actually I'm not an English native speaker so please bear it with me, I'm still a student, learning it.) :) Thank you so much for reading it!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:17 Sep 18, 2020

Of course, I can understand that, and its really inspiring to see a non-native English speaker write SO well !!! Well done !!!

Reply

Yuki LangShan
14:23 Sep 18, 2020

Thank you so much for reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yuki LangShan
09:41 Sep 13, 2020

What a nice and Soft story •w•

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.