0 comments

Science Fiction Thriller


Jennie checks her watch for the umpteenth time, wondering when her turn will be. She arrived an hour early she was so nervous about the whole thing if she missed her chance "again" it would be the end of everything for her and her husband. Her husband wished her luck and told her to keep focused.


The other people that had arrived were not as nervous as she was just were better at hiding it than she was. "I cannot believe the spread they put out for everyone some good eats!" said a man enthusiastically while stuffing yet another chicken salad finger sandwich in his mouth. Jennie was shocked by the man's total indifference to the situation that laid ahead for everyone, what would be the news! The thought of eating anything was the farthest thing from her mind; the only thing she could think of was, what would be the outcome for all that participated.


Suddenly an announcement came over the loudspeaker instructing everyone that they were behind by at least half an hour. Then the announcer stated if anyone wanted to change their appointment time to line up at the desk to do so. Everyone in the room looked around at each other to see if anyone was going to reschedule. No one in the room moved an inch; everyone suddenly realized the seriousness of rescheduling and how it would affect their circumstances.


The cafeteria person that had brought in the first batch of refreshments appeared with more to offer all of us since we were all deciding to wait it out and not reschedule. The cafeteria person brought in a fresh pot of coffee and more hot water for the tea drinkers and more finger sandwiches and a platter of sweets. The atmosphere was courteous but not overly friendly we all had a lot to contend with and wanted to remain mentally focused.


Some of the others decide to call their families to inform them that they were behind schedule, that it would take longer than expected. Jennie called her husband to tell him she would be late. "I can't believe this, it shouldn't take this long," her husband almost whispered into the phone. "Honey, you are scaring me, should I reschedule and leave?? Jennie's husband was silent on the other end of the phone for what seemed like an eternity. "Jennie, stay both of us know how long it takes to get in, and this is mandatory as you and I both know." As Jennie ended her call with her him, she could not help but think how long it took for her husband Mark to get his scheduled appointment, she started to calm down a little, at least she finally had an appointment.


Jennie remembers when she first received the news that she had locked-in a slot for an appointment. It was a Tuesday afternoon, and she was helping her husband finish the last of his requirements before her appointment. It was hard to believe the long-awaited day was here it had arrived. One would never know when a slot would become open for anyone in these desperate times. In the weeks and days leading up to her appointment, she prepared exercised, practised mental agility games, meditated and took a little known vitamin supplement. The supplement worked for her husband to achieve success.


Jennie had the inside track for the successful outcome of the appointment and knew that without the supplement, it would be her downfall. So, when the sweets tray arrived, she watched them while thinking I wish you knew she could not hurt her chance and even if she wanted to…it would be illegal for her to divulge this information to the others. You see, the sweets which contain sugar would cancel out any positive effect of the supplement. It was difficult, the devastation it could cause.


The appointments started to speed up Jennie could tell that her time was getting closer. Jennie was getting more pumped for her scheduled appointment and began her mental agility exercises while she waited for her turn. Everyone started doing their mental agility exercises, hoping that this last push would seal the deal. Jennie was in such a heightened mental state of concentration and focus that she barely heard the announcement come over the loudspeaker.


The loudspeaker came on suddenly, calling in the next person. "ATTENTION, ATTENTION would Jennie Parvoe please come to the interview room. "Jennie rose to her feet and made her way towards the interview room door. She stood at the door, to be ushered in and prepped for the interview process. They made sure she had brought all of the materials needed to perform the requirements of the interview. Jennie watched and responded to the checklist as they scrutinized every item with a fine-tooth comb. She knew the process each time she went through it; it was like the very first time.


After Jennie answered a series of questions, the interview panel wrapped up the interview and told her that they would deliberate for ten minutes and return with a decision. She was feeling good about this interview and prayed that it would have the outcome that she and her husband were hoping. Ten minutes had elapsed the interview panel returned. "Congratulations, you have passed the interview process." Jennie could barley believe it she was in shock, this was interview number ten and she for the life of her she did not know what worked this time around.  "Your husband is waiting for you in room number # 77", the head of the panel announced.


Jennie made her way down to room number # 77.  She did so in almost a full out sprint. She was excited and relieved for her and her husband. They had been waiting quite some time for this moment. Jennie and Mark finally passed the tests and were given the all-clear to a full interstellar planetary flight back to their home planet of "Operetta."  The unknown and uncertainty of when they would ever get back to "Operetta" were finally over. Jennie and Mark were so happy returning to their home planet.


Unfortunately, for the Parvoe's the interstellar planetary flight back to their home planet is a one-way ticket. After the ship left the station, "Operetta" was destroyed by a warring faction. 







July 05, 2020 01:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.