My story is entitled the importance of a marathon race.

Written in response to: Make a race an important element of your story.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Mystery

My story is entitled the importance of a marathon race.

The marathon race is a long distance foot race with a distance of 42.195km that usually run as a road race but the distance can be covered on trail routes.

Also the marathon race can be completed by running or with a run or walk strategy.

There are about eight hundred race marathon held through out the world each year with the vast majority of competitors being recreational athletes.

The marathon race is one of the original modern Olympic events held in 1896.

The distance did not become standard until 1921. The distance is also included in the World Athletic championship which began in 1983.

It is only running road race included in both championship competition.

Also a selection race for the Olympic marathon was held on 22nd March ,1896 that was won by Charilaos Vasilakos in three hours and eighteen minutes.

The Women's marathon was introduced at the 1984 Summer Olympics and was won by Joan Benoit at the United States of America.

The mens Olympic marathon race is the last event of the Athletics calendar on the final day of Olympics.

Also the race finished inside the Olympic stadium. The Boston Marathon was inspired by the success of the first marathon competition.

The marathon race is the worlds Annual marathon that ranks one of the worlds most prestigious road racing events.

The summer Olympics race also contributed to the early growth of long distance running and marathoning in the United States of America.

Ledro house was credited as the first woman to complete a marathon race.

There was a beach marathon race running that would traverse our beautiful coastline.

Also the marathon race of today is over one hundred and twenty years old but there have been forms of long distance races.

The idea of a marathon race came from Michel Breal who wanted the event to feature in the first modern Olympic Games in 1896 in Athens.

The selection race for the Olympic marathon was held on 22nd March,1886 that was won by Charilaos Vasilakos in 3hours and 18minutes.

The Mens marathon race won by Italian Stefano Baldini within 2hours.

Also the Women marathon race was introduced at the 1984 Summer Olympic in Los Angeles , United States of America and was won by Joan Benoit of the United States of America with a time of 2hours ,24minutes and 52 seconds.

The marathon race is the worlds oldest marathon and it ranks as one of the world's most prestigious road racing events.

The summer Olympics contributed to the early growth of long distance running and marathoning in the United States of America.

Races held around the holiday season including the Empire City Marathon held on New years day marked the running craze referred to as the Marathon mania.

An estimated of about 550600 runners often completed a marathon race within the United States of America.

Marathon races are held all around the world on a weekly basis.

Stamata Revithi in 1896 run the marathon race at a distance.

In 1918 it was Violet Piercy who was credited as the first woman to be officially timed in a marathon in 1926.

Also in the United States of America it Arlene Pieper who was the first woman to officially finish a marathon.

She completed the Pikes Peak Marathon in Maritou Springs, Colorado in 1959 in the United States of America.

Also Katherine Switzer was the first woman to run the Boston marathon in 1967. Normally more than 800 marathons are organized worldwide.

The races of marathon distance are held at the North Pole in Antarctica and over a dessert terrain.

Also the Istanbul marathon race is the only marathon race where most participants run over continents both Europe and Asia.

The importance of a marathon race is that it makes an individual fit and strong.

Again it helps to build up the body muscle.

Also it helps to exercise the body.

The marathon race helps Athletes to exercise their body.

Athletes also get the opportunity to win medals,trophy,cash prizes and traveling opportunities.

Individuals who are physically challenged often engage in Wheelchair racing divisions.

They often start their races earlier than other running counterparts.

The first wheelchair marathon race was held in 1974 in Toledo Ohio that was won by Bob Hall.

In 1977 the race was declared the United States of America National Wheelchair championship.

The Boston Marathon race awarded $10,000 dollars to the winning push-rim athlete.

Ernst Van Dyk won the Boston Marathon race wheelchair division ten times that holds the World record.

The New York Supreme Court ruled in 1989 that a ban on wheelchair racers was not discriminatory as the Marathon was a foot race.

However in 1986 about fourteen wheelchair Athletes were competing.

Also Thomas Geierpichler of Austria won gold in Mens marathon.

The marathon race running has various health risks though these can be diminished with preparation and care. The training and the races themselves can put runners under stress. Sometimes even death is a possibility during a race since death is inevitable.

The common minor health risks includes blisters , fatigue, knee or ankle sprain and other conditions.

Cardiac screening programs for marathon race are uncommon.

This review is not an attempt to assess the overall cardiac health impact of marathon race.

Also regular exercises reduces cardiovascular risk by a factor of two or three in the long run ,but while we are doing vigorous exercise such as marathon running or the cardiac risk increases by seven.

The over consumption is the most significant concern associated with water consumption during marathon race.

Again drinking excessive amount of fluid during a race can lead to the dilution of sodium in the blood a condition called Exercise associated hyponatremia.

Lastly most people and other Athletes engage in a race in order to win for themselves rewards and cash prizes ,so that they will become rich and famous especially during the Olympics. The marathon race helps both countries and other Athletes to earn money for themselves and also foreign exchange.

Most countries and Athletes become wealthy when they win medals and cash prizes at the Olympics during a running marathon race.

February 03, 2024 03:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.