How is this happening?

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Write a story set in the summer, when suddenly it starts to snow.... view prompt

1 comment

African American Fiction Happy

  I woke up early because I couldn’t contain my excitement and it didn’t help that it was hot, so I had to wake up in between my sleep and switch on and off the air conditioner for some reason this season of summer was different from the summers we were used to it was hotter, and the summer had just begun but it felt like we were all stuck in a frying pan and it didn’t get better as the day progressed. It was finally the day I had been waiting for, I had waited all year for this concert, Nicki Minaj was coming to Europe finally and we weren’t going to miss the opportunity to see her, I and my friends had bought the ticket at the beginning of the year I had listened to her albums repeatedly and watched her previous concerts to know what songs she commonly performed and since the beginning of June I had spent everyday checking the weather and hoping that it wouldn’t rain, and it said it would get cloudy at a certain point, but it would be clear skies that whole day so I decided to wear my favorite green shorts and a yellow tank top with black sneakers I had learned the hard way not to ever wear flat shoes to a concert the first time I went to a concert I had made that mistake and I almost lost my toes. My friends Josette and Jessica the twins came to pick me up from my house in a taxi they were wearing different designs of pink shirts and black shorts. We had a one-hour minute ride to the concert location, when we got there it was already packed the line was not so long since the concert wasn’t for another two hours, so we came prepared foldable chairs, umbrellas, manual hand fans, water and snacks. We couldn’t afford the VIP tickets, but we were determined to get the best views of the concert so we decided to come early, we sat down and played board games to pass the time it was funny to us how people didn’t think to bring chairs or anything that so they could be comfortable while waiting especially in this heat and the people there seemed to look confused when we brought out our things to make ourselves comfortable but we didn’t pay them any attention this wasn’t our first concert.

    After about two hours of waiting, it was finally time for us to go inside the venue which was an open field, the security men and the ticket checkers had all come out and taken their positions, we got up and packed our things hurriedly, so we didn’t delay or hold up the line. When they were done checking our tickets we went inside and got a perfect place to stand it was beside the VIP section and still close enough to the stage. You could feel the excitement in the air we were all looking eager and you could see smiles on everyone’s places,

 “I can’t believe we finally get to see her, I’m so excited” Josette said in what was more like a squeal “I know right” I replied with a smile on my face that I couldn’t seem to wipe off, after what seemed like another hour the instrumentalist and dancers came on stage then one of the organizers came on stage to give us a speech no one cared about then finally announced what we had all been waiting for and introduced Nicki Minaj and then there was a loud cheer across the field and we the chants of her name started, the anticipation was much we kept looking at the different corners of the stage for where she would come out from before we heard her voice

“Are you ready to party with me Barbz”. The screams, chants and cheers just got louder but we still couldn’t see her, but the anticipation was so much we kept looking at the different corners of the stage for where she would come out from but to our utmost delight and surprise, she came out from one of those stages that the artists ascend from beneath the stage and I can tell you I couldn’t remember the last time I screamed so loud, I and the twins were jumping and screaming simultaneously thankfully then she started to perform her first song ‘super bass’ and we got our composure back and sang along with her by the time she had gotten to the third song the clouds had already changed and the bright day we were enjoying to a more dark and gloomy one but I didn’t really give it any thought because I had expected it and I was enjoying myself way too much to be bothered. Sometime had passed and before we knew it was raining hail, it was unexpected and very sudden, so everyone was screaming and trying to take shelter because it was very painful to have that amount of hail coming at out at a time, I and the twins opened our umbrellas quickly since we were too close to the stage and some people had to go under the VIP section and it was full of people so we couldn’t go there and it was visible the people who had paid for the section weren’t too happy about it , we knew we weren’t leaving anytime soon till the crowd at the end had successfully dispersed. Since we had three big umbrellas, we were more than happy to share it with other people as we waited I and the twins stayed under one umbrella and six other people stayed under the two other umbrellas we just stayed put while the rest of the section was in chaos and then suddenly the skies were quiet the hail had suddenly stopped.

“Well, that was quite dramatic, hopefully we can get back to our concert now” one of the people around us said and we all giggled. But the worse wasn’t over yet because suddenly it started to snow out of nowhere.

“How is this even happening?” Jessica said in a confused tone.

“Global warming, we are killing the earth” one of the people that was using our umbrellas said, I just rolled my eyes and hoped she wouldn’t start going on a rant.

“Well, I guess that about wraps up our concert” Josette said in a disappointed tone.

“Well, I hope not, we all paid for a full concert”. The snowing started to increase, and the wind started to blow a little stronger and it was getting chilly it also didn’t help that most of us were wearing shorts and open tops. I was in a state of utter confusion because nothing like this had ever happened before so i couldn't wrap my head around how this was happening i mean how does it snow during the summer.

     You could see the disappointment, frustration and anger in everyone’s face, I am sure we all wouldn’t have minded continuing the concert even with the snow and wind but we were definitely not dressed for the occasion so it wouldn’t be possible for us to enjoy the program anymore while trying in vain to stay warm, we were discussing how to get when the organizer who had come on the stage at the beginning came back on stage again and told us that because of the weather we had to wait to stop the concert and that we were all going to get half refunds on the tickets on whatever ticket site we purchase it from then he apologized. There were different disappointing reactions across the crowd, but I was too cold to fully react I just wanted to go home and get warm, I told the twins that we had to make our way slowly and carefully in order to avoid slipping on the snow because I really didn’t like the cold. It took forever to struggle to move through the crowd, but we were eventually able to get through, we got a taxi and went to our different houses while discussing how disappointed and angry we were at the weather and any other person or thing we could blame but we still couldn’t believe that it would snow during the summer.  

January 23, 2021 03:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

10:57 Jan 27, 2021

Appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.