37 comments

Urban Fantasy Speculative Contemporary

Earth has not anything to show more fair:

Dull would he be of soul who could pass by

A sight so touching in its majesty

(Composed upon Westminster Bridge by William Wordsworth)


Outside the carriage window, crowds as deep as seas wave flags. Children are hoisted onto shoulders to catch a glimpse of the historic moment; countless phones like periscopes, angled in the hope of capturing the newly crowned monarch. He has waited so very long for this moment; now it has come to pass, the noise of his subjects crashes on his ears like surf pounds the shore. Relentlessly the applause rises and rises, a tide that seems like it will never fall back; never abate. He can't help but think, what a hullabaloo, as the gold carriage rolls ever onwards, processing from the abbey back to his home, the palace.   


Yes, today is a momentous day, not just for those on the streets of London, but also for the millions of spectators in all four corners of the globe, poring over the footage on various screens. He wouldn’t be surprised if in an outer reach of some other galaxy, a green-headed alien was swiping a tentacle across some space gadget, zooming in to better peruse how royalty do things on this small planet- Earth. 


He glances up, half hopeful that he might glimpse a curious face in the sky, rather than the drones hovering like petulant bluebottles, a media swarm he has never been able to swish away; and as he does so, he catches sight of Westminster Bridge stretching before him as the carriage begins to turn. Overhead, a familiar rather than a foreign face greets him: Big Ben. The clock tower’s round features are a comfort on this long–awaited yet bewildering day. Booming, sonorous, the bells call out with their mighty voice to the city’s dwellers high and low; to both prince and pauper. They peal out once, twice, and on the third summons of the bell, the carriage lurches to an unsightly and unscheduled halt. 


Unsettled, worrying about protests or worse, he clutches at the State Coach’s plush velvet seat, wondering if he should bolt the door, lie down or sit- calm and composed- for the guard to inform him what, your Majesty, is amiss. Tentatively, he peers out and sees London life on pause. Flags no longer flutter but are suspended mid-wave; a child is a statue, reaching up to his father, transfixed as he asks to be lifted for a better view; even the bells of Big Ben seem to have halted, mid clang, along with the royal steeds. By Jove, this is not part of the Processional Plan he agreed to weeks ago!


Then he sees, looming amongst strangers, a face he knows; from stamps, from bank notes, from newspaper pages and lastly, from the bathroom mirror every morning and night; a face whose creases and folds are deeply familiar, for it is his own. This figure is bereft of military dress, medals and ornaments; instead it is decked in leaves: a green man in the middle of the metropolis. For a moment he is transported out of this peacock pageant and is in Wellington boots, nearly knee-deep in the Duchy mud, out for a bracing walk having just tended to his tomato plants; and he smiles instinctively, for the first time that day. The green man smiles back at him, a ray of living warmth in this petrified scene, and he opens the carriage door and steps down. The crowd pays him no regard as he walks to this green-leafed version of himself, wondering how- while all else is still- the foliage all about him quivers with a force of its own. 


By the time he has reached the green man’s side, he notices that his leaves are drooping, a brown carpet of shrivelled ones littering the floor about his feet. He had planned to ask who he was: this mysterious me; this beloved stranger. On a day of the most spectacular offerings: orbs and oils; choirs of angels casting their voices to the very heavens, this is the most remarkable benefaction of all. But now that he stands before him, watching his green majesty fall, all he can ask is “what is happening to you, my dear fellow?”


The smile fades from the green face and the figure holds up his tendrilled arms, vines for veins, and he is reminded of noble oaks and evergreens, standing in the Highlands he also calls home. The green man ignores his question, asking instead, in a voice full with the sound of rustling leaves:


“What would you give to stop this happening?”


“Pray explain, to stop what?”


“The burning. The gasping. In lands where you and your own have prospered, nothing may remain but rising water, drowned spaces or wildfires. Do not be dull to the question which presents itself: what would you do to quench the flames; to stem the floods?”


His is a winnowing voice, sifting the chaff, lifting it clear, even as his beautiful leaves wilt and fall. What a cost is here, perhaps too much for even a monarch to bear. He lifts the imperial crown, already so heavy on his head, and presents it humbly to the green man. Staring deep into his moss-green and ancient eyes, he thinks this:


Take these large jewels and pluck them out to be our new eyes: ruby red, for the blood spilt; diamond clear, sparkling like the stars that see all. Do not shut these two new eyes and I will train mine too, upon this green planet, which I will endeavour to see does not turn blue with flood or red with fire. 


Without a word, with the barest inclination of his head, the green man takes this gift and places it upon his quivering foliage for hair; in return, he offers him one of his vibrant green leaves. The exchange complete, he returns to the carriage where it jolts to life once more.


Inside, he considers the single leaf as the crowd’s cheer lifts on the breeze again. It is surrounded by gilt, velvet, satin and gold but it is, nonetheless, the most beautiful thing on show today and he can hardly pull his gaze from it as the State Coach pulls into Trafalgar Square, making its way to the Mall. 


As usual Nelson stands atop his Victory column, perusing the city, looking proudly to the Admiralty and perhaps out to the place of his heroic fall. In his left hand he grasps a sword. Like the figure in the carriage who observes him, he too is decked in his military dress, decorated with military insignia. 


Unannounced, cannons fire three times and the carriage grinds to a halt once more. What in Jove’s name is going on? He can hardly believe his eyes as he notices that the stone lions, which forever guard the square, are still lying down but are shaking their stone manes, opening their jaws wide, and roaring. 


From behind one, a figure steps shakily forward, clutching his ears and looking like he expects the sky to fall. In shock, he recognises the face: he would call it his own, except this one is daubed in blood. Flinging open the door, he rushes out of the carriage, weaving through the crowds which are once more statues of elation, nothing more. 


“My dear chap, you’re hurt. Please take this.” He hands him a fancy linen handkerchief, embroidered with his monogram, and the bleeding man holds it to his wounded forehead, the cream cloth quickly stains to crimson.


“Is there anything else I can do for you? Perhaps my carriage can make a detour? A hospital must be nearby…” He trails off as the man’s uncanny eyes appraise him from underneath the bloodied rag. He waits for what seems a lifetime and then begins to speak.


“What can one man do to stem the tide of blood? I come from a place where war ravages the land; a brother’s blood anoints a brother’s hands. I ask you now: what would you do to avert this fate from befalling your dominions?” 


What can one man do? He looks to the statue of Nelson for- what? Inspiration? A lesson in stoical sacrifice? A symbol is what is needed; a token of goodwill and he reaches for one of the many medals pinned to his chest.


The bloodied man shakes his head sadly.  


“We need no tokens of military might.”


“Of course- how foolish of me. Here, these are more befitting your cause.” And he reaches for the triumvirate of swords, clasped to his side.


“Take them. Take all three! For with the Sword of Justice, the Sword of the Spirit and the Sword of Mercy, victory must be yours.” 


The wounded man shakes his head once more.


“Live by the sword, die by the sword. Now is the time to break these blades and extend only the hand of peace.”


His wounded self extends his hand and he, signet rings flashing on each finger, passes the blades to him. Solemnly he swallows each one, elegantly, like a heron tilting back its long beak, swallowing silver-scaled fish not sharpened swords.


Afterwards, he returns the crimson handkerchief before disappearing behind a lion, who lays its head on its paws and seems appeased. Shaking somewhat, he stuffs the handkerchief into his pocket and returns to the carriage. No sooner has he shut the door, then it lurches to life once more.


It is the final stretch of the Processional Parade. Along the grand sweep of the Mall, the State Coach rolls. Ahead, will be his home, or one of them, and all eyes will be following his progress to its doors, waiting to see him alight, vanish within, to emerge on the balcony for the first time as sovereign of, but also over, them all. 


He tries to focus on picturing himself in this historic moment; the one where he finally steps from the shadows. But it is as if a dark cloud has passed before the sun, casting his hoped for vision into shade. He cannot imagine himself, aloft, triumphant, waving, at all.


The coach bears him through St James’s Park, an idyll of tulips, fountains and children. His attention is snagged by the stooped figure of a woman, tending to her many children, oblivious to the pageant happening on the Mall. She is surrounded by a flock of them as one might be engulfed by pigeons, should one happen to bring a picnic or even a sandwich, to this green space. There is something in the way she tenderly strokes each little head, handing out food and pulling their meagre coats about them, that reminds him of himself, on excursions with his grandchildren, helping them into items of clothing; sharing food and laughing as the duck bills snap at the morsels they toss.


He feels a lurch of empathy and raps three times on the carriage door; immediately it pulls to a halt. Purposefully he steps away from the carriage and towards the family group, realising that despite the May sunshine, all are shivering like skeletons sustained only by the sun. Lining the Mall are spectators who have come to see the show; decked out in their Sunday best, toting flags, fold-up chairs and much patriotic paraphernalia. As before it is a frozen scene. But on the grass, the mother is turning towards him as he approaches; a thin smile like watered milk spills onto her face as she reaches into her pocket and begins to break bread to share with her children. He watches, aghast, as each child dutifully waits their turn for an apportioned scrap of bread. For a moment he fools himself: why they will feed the ducks as I like to do with little -


Only to swallow the ridiculous thought down, watching as each child rams the dry bread into their little mouth like it were the first square meal for days. 


The words stick in his throat.


“Dear Madam, why are you here?”


She stares at him from under heavy brows and he suddenly realises he may have seemed a little rude, it is a public park after all and this woman has as much of a right to be here, ignoring the spectacle, as he has to lead it. He tries again.


“Why do you have so very little to eat?”


She has questions of her own.


“How much can grow in fire or flood?” 


The bridge, a flash of green, brown leaves wilting…


“And when war is a scythe cutting lives like wheat, who is left to grind the grain to make the bread?”


The handkerchief is still damp within his pocket. Finally the questions stop.


“What little there is grows only to be placed on the platters of the rich.” 


Involuntarily his eyes turn towards the palace; he knows that within the tables will be being made ready for tonight’s feast. They would groan under the racks of lambs and quivering trifles, if they hadn’t been made to take such a weight: built to bear the opulent feasts, year after year.


His stomach heaves like someone is turning a handle, grinding the wheels of change into motion and he feels like he will never have an appetite again. 


Before him, the closest child shivers and it takes him but a moment to remove the long purple silk robe from about his shoulders and to wrap it about the child’s much smaller ones. The fabric is heavy with its long train but silky too and the mother bundles the last scrap of bread into his hand as she helps her child to keep it from slipping to the ground. Slowly he closes his fingers about the morsel, a soft sustenance he needs, though he can hardly say why. 


He ignores the waiting carriage, choosing to walk the remaining distance. He passes people whose faces are twisted as if caught by a strange fervour, staring into the distance for a glimpse of a man he himself can no longer see. 


He goes unnoticed by the unseeing eyes as he pushes open the door of the palace himself. Everything and yet nothing is the same as he climbs the stairs and crosses to the balcony. There is an absolute silence as he steps out and surveys the scene, sovereign of all he sees. Suddenly a noise cracks the calm as the Red Arrows streak through the sky overhead. The smoke from the colourful vapour trails loops and twists, scribing a message across the page of sky:


Earth has not anything to show more fair:

Dull would he be of soul who could pass by

A sight so touching in its majesty


The faces below seem to start to life, moving once more. They tilt like flowers, past the balcony, with its small figure standing alone; past the planes, already roaring into the future; up and beyond to the sun, burning hot, inscrutable and full of majesty. 











May 03, 2023 20:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Ben Battles
18:14 May 09, 2023

Really enjoyed the writing. The first visitor reminded me of the Green Knight, and I was hooked already on this one image; imagining an Arthurian legend playing out in modern day London!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
04:47 May 10, 2023

Hi Ben, ahh I love Sir Gawain too. Now that would be another tale: the Green Knight arriving and throwing down his challenge. Might have been rather gory though. A different story! You're right though, all those legends steeped in rituals absolutely seem to run parallel to royal rituals. I couldn't help laughing at some of the investiture, it seemed exaggerated to the point of bathos: the glove of gentleness and the rod of mercy! Thanks for stopping by and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
11:44 May 06, 2023

What a clever and original way to work the coronation into the urban fantasy genre. Very very cool. The writing was immersive, imaginative, and thought provoking. I like how these “issues” he encounters, represented in the three individuals, are broad and universal—war, hunger, environmental concerns—they’re all relevant to everyone, especially anyone in high positions of leadership. Favorite line: “She is surrounded by a flock of them as one might be engulfed by pigeons, should one happen to bring a picnic or even a sandwich, to this green...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:51 May 07, 2023

Hi Aeris, lovely of you to pop by. Yes, I rather thought urban fantasy might fit this London tale of two worlds not cities and give me a good chance, along with the poem, to explore where true majestic power might lie. It was good to experiment a bit more this week with voice and genre. Funny how a spectacle, steeped in mind boggling traditions, can be a prompt for a bit of creativity. I'm very happy you found it cool as it's not something we usually associate with the royal family (except when Brian May plays electric guitar on the palace ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
14:09 May 26, 2023

Hey Rebecca, OK, my first thought for this piece was oh my goodness the coronation! You did a great job of tying in a modern historical event with a fun fictional piece. This story reminded me of some of those age of questions that people ask of their leaders: how much do we protect our leaders from the frightening realities of life, is having a single figure of power really enough, and what does the monarchy represent to the people versus the world? I think you do a great job of questioning some of these aspects of this character while writ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rama Shaar
17:59 May 10, 2023

Great stuff! I wish all sovereigns thought that way, thinking of how to make life better for their subjects! Your prose is stunning as usual and the idea is very original. It's very timely too! I see it doing very well this week 😉

Reply

Rebecca Miles
15:24 May 11, 2023

Thanks so much for taking the time to read it. Let's see if fortune favours me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sammy Courtney
21:57 May 09, 2023

This is a great story! The way you write really is incredibly original, while also sounding like some of the great past writers of time. The imagery of modern London with this medieval type of story is great! Very clever!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:42 May 10, 2023

Thanks so much Sammy. Nothing like piggybacking on the old in the pursuit of innovation! I find creativity often flows best out of an interesting set of restrictions. Cheers for stopping by.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
16:28 May 09, 2023

This story has fantastic pageantry and color, the descriptions of the new King are great, as well as his reactions to the visitors... 'he is transported out of this peacock pageant and is in Wellington boots, nearly knee-deep in the Duchy mud' The whole point of the pageantry is, of course, to hide the problems, to be a bright colorful spectacle to distract from war, and poverty and sorrow. And it works as it has for thousands and thousands of years.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
19:36 May 09, 2023

Hi Marty, thanks for picking out one of my favourite lines. Yes, distracting spectacles as if a bit of whooping and flag waving should suffice. I hope the storyline carried the different social messages.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
07:57 May 09, 2023

This was a beautiful read, love how poetic and descriptive your prose was. Timely subject matter too! I like how the king is shown as in a position of immense privilege yet still has his human side of concern and fear for the hardship he sees.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
18:57 May 09, 2023

Hi Kelsey, thanks for stopping by. Yes rather timely; I felt let's seize the moment and all that! I'm glad you could see the human side too; I didn't want my majesty figure to be simply blinded by privilege. Thanks for noticing the poetry too (helped a bit by Wordsworth!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:38 May 07, 2023

Excellent piece with so many issues raised here, encompassing such worldly sorrow. Many wonderful lines too. Unusual and relevant use of the prompt. I have to stick my neck out as I live here and say that with everything feeling so terribly unsettled in the past few years, the alternative point of view is that monarchy with all its antiquated symbolism provides (for some at least) much needed constancy in turbulent times. Beautiful writing, as always Rebecca.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
15:59 May 07, 2023

Hi Helen. Feel free to stick that neck out. I never intended the piece to be critical of the monarchy, more a reflection on what any power might feel faced with the troubles of our time. I was aiming very much for the man behind the monarch and felt I really had to contribute a story based on the coronation. I hope you're enjoying the Big Lunch. My parents are joining a street party. It's dinner time here in Germany and I do wish I'd made a trifle!

Reply

Helen A Smith
16:12 May 07, 2023

Hi Rebecca You know how old-fashioned and nostalgic I am lol. I was actually working when the coronation was on, but there was a big screen nearby so I got to see bits of it. I hope your parents enjoy the street party. At least the weather is great here today. It was horrendous yesterday with loads of flooding near where I live. A trifle sounds most tempting. I’m not great a desserts though I have a sweet tooth. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kira Carver
09:58 May 07, 2023

Dang, Rebecca.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Michelle Oliver
06:49 May 07, 2023

A dreamlike take on the current events. I like how you incorporated the dilemma of modern issues, war, poverty, environment and contrasted hem against the pomp and ceremony. I feel our hero in this piece has learned something about himself and his place within this world. -“a glimpse of a man he himself can no longer see.” Beautiful evocative writing.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
16:45 May 10, 2023

Not sure how I overlooked your comment originally Michelle. Apologies. Yes, that line you picked was one I really wanted to include. The mortal man watching the monarch receding. I love the concept of liminality and perhaps that was going on a bit here. I'm taking another Reedsy pause for at least a week as I try to get my other writing projects in order but I'll still be dipping in to see what you guys are up to. Having fun no doubt with the wordplay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
19:33 May 06, 2023

I hardly know where to begin, Rebecca. This week's prompts has a lot of good stories. Lots! But none have the - I'm just gonna say it - majesty of yours. Practically every paragraph took my breath away. The seafaring similes in the first paragraph were a nice touch. I will also add that the varying paragraph lengths were masterful; the seemingly random length of each one contributed to an easy read. Well done, my friend. The real beauty, to me, were the method and the message. War, the environment, and famine (or, put another way, the uneq...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:41 May 07, 2023

Ah Del, you're too kind; perhaps I should take a bow or dip a curtsy! I love a bit of bowling, so I'd be quite happy to play a game as prize enough. No big trophy required and your generous and heartfelt praise is commendation enough. I watched some of the spectacle yesterday; no sign of any of my three visitors, plenty of all the peacock pageantry!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
03:46 May 06, 2023

Oh, Rebecca, this was beautifully written. :) This reminded me a lot of Charles Dickens’s “A Christmas Carol”, in the way there were three “visits”, though the first two were himself.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:43 May 06, 2023

Hi Lilah, just shows the power and popularity of Dicken's tale of redemption as I didn't have it to mind and of course my tale isn't particularly redemptive although the three visits certainly cause reflection. It's the big day; I'll be looking on with interest to see if my research paid dividends! I don't expect a green man will be disrupting things! I'm so glad you found it beautifully written; thanks for reading.

Reply

Irene Duchess
13:24 May 06, 2023

Always happy to. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
13:48 May 05, 2023

This is amazing! Gorgeous prose. I mean: "His is a winnowing voice, sifting the chaff, lifting it clear" so great. It is very cinematic, I see this unfolding, rich with the pageantry of the event and the pageantry of the people. The use of the Green Man and the monuments ties the history into this historical event while simultaneously questioning it all. Clever and powerful.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
14:26 May 05, 2023

Hi Laurel, lovely of you to pop by. I've been off Reedsy for a few weeks ( that Uni course is gobbling all my time) and I'm thrilled you've stopped by to read my take on the whole London shenanigans! Writing this prior to the whole hullabaloo, I hope the research I've done pays off; he'll probably decide to wear something completely different tomorrow ( normal dress, now wouldn't that be something!). Yes, cinematic, the grand sweep, was something I was definitely aiming for, so I'm pleased that scale came across. So far the comments have bee...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
09:39 May 05, 2023

Rebecca, Wonderful prose and very timely for the upcoming coronation. I got a sense that the monarch to be was completely detached from the true reality of the common citizen. Royalty, politicians, sports stars and such, can be so protected from the public, that being wealthy, healthy, and looked after is often their reality. The old adage, "The rich get richer" remains so true. Children starve while expensive gold carriages are ordered from overseas. Impoverished people freeze to death in shop doorways while the "Haves" step over them ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
14:20 May 05, 2023

Hi Chris, it's been a while since I dipped the writer's toes in social commentary and I felt compelled to take the plunge with this one. I'm not even in the country but feel gripped by the question, dilemma even, how on earth can an outdated institution be made fit for the challenges of here and now as well as those to come. I'm glad the piece was still melodic though; what a really lovely thing to say, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:08 May 04, 2023

A masterly crafted and compelling story about realising that Nature is the true majesty. I love all the sea imagery in periscopes, surf that pounds the shore and the applause that rises like the tide. And the melody in my ears when you describe the resounding of Big Ben. And the number 3 introduces each time a sad and worrying foreboding. Humourous depiction of Charles, nice chap. Lots of lovely references to London, a city I miss. A reminder to not be blinded and distracted by pomp and glamour and start looking into the really important th...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
14:16 May 05, 2023

I'm so glad you noticed some of the witty passages as well as the structural devices. I miss London too; I don't need to be there for the peacock pageant tomorrow but this is in part love song to the city nevertheless!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:36 May 04, 2023

Speculative, yes. I'd say ominous even. It's reminiscent of A Christmas Carol, except our Scrooge is already quite fair minded. His ghosts rather come to show him what he's not seeing, the troubles that trouble our modern day and loom on the horizon. But the ending is much less happy. Yes, he's had important realizations and made some effort to change - but how much can one man do? "By Jove, this is not part of the Processional Plan he agreed to weeks ago!" This reaction is both amusing, and great at establishing character. "who lies i...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viga Boland
17:56 May 04, 2023

Incredible Rebecca. So easy to visualize thanks to your masterful descriptive skills, yet so hard to face the reality the new king should acknowledge between all the pomp and circumstance. Not being a fan of the monarchy, I applaud your take on this upcoming world event.

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:31 May 04, 2023

Your prose is marvelous. You have remarkable control of your tools.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
04:39 May 04, 2023

Thanks Anne, this was an interesting voice to write in. I was very much inspired by your story, A Field sewn with Grief Mines, to take the political bull by the horns. I live in Germany now, but I know from my parents living near London the furore being whipped up back home.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:42 May 03, 2023

Such majesty! Such mastery! Such magic!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
04:35 May 04, 2023

Thank you so much Mary. I hope I'm not off to the Tower for this!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:58 May 04, 2023

Keep your head, Girl! Good stuff in there.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.