2 comments

Fantasy Fiction

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

*TW: Contains mentions of death and death itself, could be uncomfortable for some*

The gardens of the Senex were in a way both serene, and yet had a terrifyingly electric atmosphere. The assortment of flora, once meant as a distraction from the world of politics, had been depraved into a den for schemers. To further enforce this stereotype a youth was approaching a rather elderly man, though the youths footsteps were calm and collected, his face was anything but. He drew his finger upon the hilt of the dagger strapped to his belt, the symbol of House Rokmar. Upon nearing the elderly man, the youth coughed to announce his presence. 

“Lord Banil, it is wonderful to see you again”

The elder broke his gaze from a hibiscus tree, bestowing a warm smile, his eyes deep set and filled with the curse of time, greying as blindness was taking over; “And it is a blessing to meet you again as well, Mikael – or is it Lord Rokmar now?”

“Mikael will do, my lord. Was it so prudent to talk, that we had to meet right after a Senex meeting? Moreso, could we not meet at my residence or perhaps yours?” A bird hidden within a nearby bush disturbed Mikaels line of thought, drawing his gaze. 

The elder avoided the remark; “It was wonderful to hear you speak you in the meeting today, Mikael, you took on your fathers role so quickly, one would be forgiven to think you yourself were the heir apparent.”

“Is that a hint of sarcasm I detect, Lord Banil?” Mikael faced Junius Banil once more, irritation replacing his cautious attitude. 

Lord Banils eyes widened slightly, catching his mistake “No, no.” Trying for a smile once more, Banil continued; “It was simply very refreshing to hear your perspective on how to band together to deal with these approaching…’Crusaders’ I believe they call themselves. Do you truly believe what you spoke of earlier in the Senex?”

Mikael could sense it, Banil’s slight tone of urgency and poorly hidden attempt at secrecy showed they were reaching the crux of the conversation. “I do, my lord. Only by allying ourselves with our neighbours under a single banner could save us from the oncoming armies.

These armies from the continent north are driven by a fierce idea of justice, and as such have united under one flag and one god. We must match the strength of their resolve, and be willing to do anything it takes so that we may cross swords against these northerners. Even if it does mean allying ourselves with those who we once warred against. Survival of the populace takes the ultimate priority. I understand His Majesty did not entirely appreciate my speech, but you must understand –”

Realising he had begun rambling, the youth quieted. Banil did nothing but smile at him, and returned his gaze to the hibiscus tree.

“It is good that you took your fathers chair, Mikael.” He reached up to caress a blooming purple flower, “While we expected your brother, his unfortunate passing has shoved the burden on you, and you have done a magnificent job in shouldering it. Though you must forgive us child, for expecting you to complete what your father started”

This was it, Mikael could sense it, he would finally be privy to the secret his father had only shared with the heir apparent. His eagerness for answers overtook his understanding of how to play politics; “Get to the point.”

“How bold!” The elder chuckled, but the lack of amusement in his eyes, and the single drop of perspiration rolling down his neck betrayed him. His voice dropped to a whisper; “You asked me earlier why we could not meet at your residence? I suspect I am being followed, Mikael”

Nonplussed Mikael frowned ever so little “You? Is that why we are meeting so close to the Senex building? So that you may lose your tail?”

“Indeed, I imagined it would be difficult for grown men to try to eavesdrop on conversation without giving themselves away, here in the garden. That, and the reputation of this place creates a fitting background…” Banil smirked.

Mikael waited.

“A few members of the Senex believe -” Banil began slowly, “myself included, that our current royal family, this usurper, does not entirely have the mettle to win us victory”

Silence filled the humid air, as Mikael stared at Lord Banil, then his eyes narrowed and he hissed. “What?”

“We have good reason Mikael, a group of us believe –”

“You are planning treason…” As understanding dawned on Mikael, rage took him as well, “Was it not enough to betray your former liege, and place King Sarfaz on the throne?! Now you and your snake friends are scheming for another ruler, have you a hint of shame?!” 

Banil winced slightly, as Mikael raised his voice; “And who do you plan to place in power next? A foreign power? A puppet? You?! Who do you plan to place on the throne now?”

“The boy.” Banil answered.

“--What? Who?” Mikael stared confused at the elderly man, thrown off balance by the sudden strange remark.

“The boy, the only boy who can sit on the throne! He who carries the blood of titans! I speak of Hummayudin, of course, son of Queen Aaliyah!” The old man proclaimed. “He survived the slaughter that took place, his mother hid him, protected him, and brought the child to her brother's domain; Lord Halid!

She perished of course, the journey had been too rough, but the prince lives!” Banil spoke with a hint of worship, though it could not be determined if it was directed at the son or the mother. 

Mikael stared at the old advisor. Of course he remembered Hummayudin, the boy had been no older than six years when the storm visited his family, and destroyed it. A savage night, where rebels ran uncontrolled through the palace. 

The morning after, the castle's floors as well as the Senex’ were painted with blood and many heads adorned the ramparts, and a new king sat on the throne.

Shaking out of his reverie Mikael started, his voice slightly hoarse “How do you know this, Banil?”

“He sent your father a letter telling him he could either take care of the usurper peacefully before he arrived, or his armies would rip everything out and start anew. Your father gathered us, and well…he passed before we could do anything. The responsibility of leading House Rokmar through this, falls on you. We must hurry though, he will begin his march in a week”

“A week? So soon?” After a second of silence, Mikael whispered the question he had been dreading; “And you are determined to do this thoroughly? Will you not even leave the roots untouched? Gods above…The royal family consists not only of King Sarfaz…What about the queen? She was good to you, Banil! The prince? The princesses? Damn you … one of the children cannot even walk yet, surely you don't mean everyone?”

Shamefacedly The Snake replied; “Weeds must be pulled at the root, you know this, Mikael…It will be quick, they wont know what happened, I will make sure of it”

When Mikael did not answer, the snake pressed on; “If Hummayudin’s forces reach the capital, his armies will raze everything, the man is driven by revenge and hate. It is his final act of mercy that he allows us to dispose of everything peacefully. 

If we do not carry this out, he will not stop at the palace. Just like before, not even the Senex…” The snake trailed off. 

Mikael glared at him. Lord Rokmar knew this old man did not speak out of concern for the violence that could take place, rather he was saving his own skin by allying himself with those he thought would win. 

“So you will destroy everything for them? Will you leave the doors wide open, so jackals may simply waltz inside?”

Mikael lapsed into silence, thinking of the royal children. They had begged him to play ‘chase’ with them, however he had refused. Now Mikael regretted it, perhaps if he had played with them he would have had the strength to lop off the head of Lord Banil at the first mention of treason…

“Why did you not refuse him? Why did my father entertain this ridiculous game?” Mikael croaked at last. 

“You know why, Mikael…If this is not taken care of cleanly, civil war could damage our system. The invading armies would utterly destroy us in that case. Besides, we are all hesitant in removing King Sarfaz, he has done good for this nation, but only in times of peace. In war you need someone with old blood coursing through them, you need the son of ‘The Titan’. Afterall it was he who provoked the northerners, his continued expansion threatened them and so they retaliated. It is only right that his son defends what his father accomplished. 

Besides, the loyalist armies have already gathered under Hummayudin, he means to march with the full might of House Halid, and all its allies. You know how powerful they are, with this we might finally manage to unite this country and the surrounding powers. Is that not what you said must happen?” 

Mikael said nothing, deep in contemplation. It was true, civil war would ruin them… A sob threatened to escape him as he understood his position, the decision had already been made, they just needed to ascertain the loyalties of Rokmar. 

“Oh gods forgive me…” Mikael breathed. Then, quick as a tiger he threw his dagger into the bush. 

Perplexed, the snake asked “What was–?”. He fell silent as a small girl, dressed in rags, fell out. 

“She’s a spy for House Nall, they’re too loyal to King Sarfaz, they would have reported back everything she heard.” Mikael pulled the dagger from her lifeless body, and sheathed it again.

“I-I see, it would appear I did not fully lose my tail … However, what is your answer, Lord Rokmar?” The snake stared at the blood pooling on the stone floor. 

“This is my answer, I could have let her report back, but now I am also complicit in your disgusting schemes.” The fox began walking away, “I will see you in hell, Banil.”

May 15, 2024 21:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Myranda Marie
22:23 May 22, 2024

Well done!!

Reply

Yargle Yorgle
10:28 May 23, 2024

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.