4 comments

Fantasy

Elaine Woodridge had built a wonderful, Spanish-style manor with her husband in the late 40s. During the last moments of her life, she had decided to leave that very manor to her grandson, Elias Woodridge.


Elias was almost certain that he was never going to set foot in his grandmother's home after she died, but he knew better than to leave it to decrepitude.

Six months after her death, Elias's parents decided to kick him out of the house so he could move to the manor. And so here he is, standing in front of a set of heavy doors, pondering the state of his favorite grandparent's house.


"Madame Merlot, why don't you sort out the little trinkets in the trunks over there? We'll figure out if we want to keep them or give them away." Elias pointed to a set of heavy trunks, some of which were closed only partially due to the plethora of tchotchkes and novelties.


"Of course, Elias. Why don't you explore a little bit? There's a lot of this house you have yet to see," said Madame Merlot, Elaine's former housekeeper.


"Sure," Elias smiled at Madame Merlot and wandered off in the opposite direction, the jingles of the ceramic trinkets following him. He thought about what she said. There's a lot of this house you have yet to see. Wasn't that creepy? He had been visiting this manor ever since he was a wee baby. He knew every nook and cranny, and the subtle hiding spots where Grandma used to keep her cookies and jam.


He stopped at a set of heavy French doors that overlooked a cherub spouting water from its flute. "This wasn't here before," he murmured. Maybe Madame Merlot was right. Grandma must have renovated the house.


Beyond the glass doors was a pair of magnificent peacocks, their feathers gleaming in the sunlight. "That's strange," Elias murmured again. His grandmother had no particular penchant towards birds.


Elias decided to leave the door and march onward. He let his eyes wander about, only to discover that he was in a completely different wing. He had lost the tinkling of the delicate ornaments that Madame Merlot was organizing.


Before he could turn back and ask Madame Merlot about it, he froze. In front of him was a set of heavy cathedral-style oak doors carved with intricate vines and flowers that climbed the lengths of the doors. The prairie windows let in a minute amount of sunlight, thus the hallway that Elias was in was almost completely shrouded in darkness.


There seemed to be a magnetic urge that was pulling Elias to the doors. As he stepped closer, a bright blue fog emanated around the frame. Slowly but surely, his hand reached for the brass knobs. No sooner had he touched the knob than he dropped to the floor, eyes wide open.



"This young man looks like Elaine, does he not, Dolor?" A light voice said suspiciously.


"Well, he does. Could this be her grandson? He fits the description," a more solemn voice replied.


Elias slowly cracked his eyes open, only to see two beautiful maidens clad in white togas.


"Oh, his eyes are wonderful! The exact shade Elaine's were," the blonde one who owned the lighter voice chirped.


"Well, what are you waiting for, young man? Get up, you have to settle Elaine's accounts, don't you?" The brunette with the solemn voice raised her groomed eyebrows at him.


"I'm sorry?" Elias said groggily. "Who are you? Where am I?"


The blonde one giggled and helped him up. "Why, you are in Nova Regnum! I am Laetitia, and my friend here is Dolor. Come, let me show you to your grandmother's office!"


"Hold up," Elias raised his arms in a please-stop-I-have-questions way. "How are you so sure I'm Elaine's grandson?"


"Very few humans have Novae blood coursing in their veins. The select few can only have one of three eye colors: teal, pale purple, and gold. This does not occur naturally in humans who lack Novae blood," Dolor stated as she glided towards a stone fountain and sat on the rim. She beckoned her companions to sit by the fountain as well. "Unless I am colorblind, which I am not, your eyes are a distinct shade of teal that becomes russet in the presence of pureblooded humans. Now, as Laetitia and I can clearly see, your irises are every bit of teal your grandmother's eyes were."


"Long story short, you are one of us. A...halfblood? Quarterblood? Ugh, part Novae, as it were." Laetitia smiled warmly. Elias found himself drowning in her own honey irises. He did not realize he was staring until Dolor cleared her throat politely.


Elias snapped out of it and shook his head. "Well, how come you have honey eyes, Laetitia? And yours are garrus, Dolor?"


"Well, only part-humans...Graeci, actually, has those eye colors. We are purebloods, and so we have different...eye colors."


"Well, what is Nova Regnum, then? Why am I here?"


"Nova Regnum is a replica of ancient Rome, Elias. Very few humans have access to this world, and only part-Novae are able to construct portals. Your grandmother, as you can see, was quite successful in building a passage from the human world to Nova Regnum." Dolor explained as she signaled to a server from the restaurant across the fountain. "One lemonade, a matcha shake, and iced tea please."


"You have matcha shakes here?"


"We are still very much modern, as we evolve with human civilization," Laetitia said.


"Well, what am I doing here then?"


"You are here because you have found the portal in your grandmother's manor. Only Graeci are able to see it, but on the rare occasion that humans see it, they are only able to enter an empty room. You also have to settle your grandmother's accounts, see. She has left quite a bit of treasure to you."


The server came with a tray of drinks, and Elias received a tall glass of lemonade.

"How did you know I like lemonade?"


"Elaine talked about you very much, Elias. I suppose she loved you dearly," Laetitia said thoughtfully.


"Yes, I suppose so. Well, let's get to it, then!"


The trio went to a low, Roman-style building where Elaine's office apparently was.

"Take all her possessions to the human world, Elias, for we have no need for that here."



They spent the day sorting, much like Madame Merlot. Boxes and boxes were filled with all sorts of stuff.


When the sun dipped in the horizon, Dolor decided it would be the time to let Elias go home.


"It is late, Elias. It would do you good to head home now."


"Oh, yeah. I suppose it would," Elias said, but he was sorrowful. He wanted to spend more time in Nova Regnum.


"Let us escort you."


The trio left the building, Elias heaving a set of heavy boxes. They headed towards a set of intricately carved doors.


"Here we are. It was a pleasure meeting you, Elias Woodridge."


"It's a pleasure meeting you too, Dolor."


Elias nearly fell over as Laetitia tackled him in a hug. "Oh, do visit sometimes, Elias!"

"I-I will, sure," Elias said as he patted her back. Dolor and Laetitia smiled at him as he stepped closer to the doors.


"See you soon, Elias!"


"See you soon! Goodbye!"


Elias dropped again, but this time, Madame Merlot was standing over him. "What's happened to you, Elias?"


"Nothing, nothing," he muttered.



Everyday Elias looked for the set of heavy oaks, but he never saw Dolor and Laetitia again.

April 23, 2020 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

M. Dillingham
04:48 May 03, 2020

Hi! I was picked to leave feedback on your story. This is such a fascinating idea, and as James said, I appreciate how the supernatural elements felt well-integrated into a level of reality. I also like how much of the story you were able to deliver in dialogue. My one point of suggestion is that, rather than take paragraphs at the beginning to expose, let the reader discover the backstory as Elias explores. The story flows so well once he is actually in the mansion, and I think that him standing on the front porch would be a much more inte...

Reply

Daphne Tan
10:34 May 03, 2020

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely take it into account. I'm so happy you liked the idea! I'm new to the actual writing process of novels (I've written various articles for school and such before) and still exploring what style works best for me. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Johnson
22:20 Apr 29, 2020

This story was very well crafted. I thought that that you did a good job explaining a bit of the backstory in such a short amount of writing space. The ending I also enjoyed. Somehow, you made a completely fantastical story seem realistic.

Reply

Daphne Tan
03:21 May 01, 2020

Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.