23 comments

Fiction Funny Historical Fiction

Sandwiched between Robson and Alberni streets two buildings keep company. The twenty-two-story skyscraper, a dark green prism pulled from the minds of architects at MCM sits on the corner of Thurlow and Alberni. In its shadow, on the corner of Thurlow and Robson, a rich two-story in red brick.

The brick oozes finery dipped in an age of old when men removed themselves from the world to smoking rooms where they would sit in burgundy leather wing backs sipping port and chew the end of a puro while discussing world affairs. An arched mutton window rises out of the blocks, and deep green awnings, like eyelids, hover over windows where the people on the inside observe the people on the outside and the people on the outside observe the people on the inside. The brick is reflected in the opulence of the glass tower beside it and the people in its windows watch Brunello Guchinelli wave at Prada across the street while the Audi, the BMW, and the Land Rover sit silently on the side awaiting their owner’s return.

The tower of glass feeds the business, they call it progress. The rich red brick feeds the people, they call it Fortes. Joe Fortes.

Joe Fortes didn’t start off as the seafood chophouse we know today. The luxurious interior of mahogany tables on iron legs under a soaring coffered ceiling was the invention of someone else. The real Joe Fortes was a black man. A swimmer. A swim instructor. A shoeblack. A bartender. A lifeguard. A hero.

Joe was a mixture of African, Barbarian, Spanish, and Portuguese and he swam to Vancouver on the Robert Kerr in 1885. Why he chose to leave his home in Spain to England and England to Canada we can’t know, but we can know that his arrival in Canada change the lives of at least 26 people. They remained alive because Joe saved them from drowning in English Bay. He was honored as a Vancouver City hero.

One hundred years after the lifeguard’s death someone thought to honor Joe Fortes by naming this restaurant after him. Ten years after that, Joe Fortes thought to hire Mike. Today Mike is behind the bar wiping water drop marks off of wine glasses with a soft white cloth as he watches the wealthy watch each other and the ordinary watch the wealthy. As dusk turns into night Mike watches dates depart hand in hand, business meetings close with a handshake, the ordinary leave for their stroll up Robson Street, and the wealthy as they head back to their Audi’s, BMW’s, and Land Rovers.

Hair black and thick that would curl if left too long is what one notices first about Mike, and second, his accent, lower Manhattan with just a little lilt of Irish breathed in on an ocean from far away. He rolled his R’s like St. Patrick and blew away the H in ‘thank you.’ “Tanks,” he would say and the heartbeat of every female would catch in her throat creating a certain breathlessness. He was a gentleman brought up the Irish way by his father who also tended bar. His father learned to bartend from his father before him in Ireland before the first world war. The fact was simple, the Doyles were a fine line of bartenders reaching back one hundred twenty-five years.

**

Some baby boys are born to their mamas dipped in sweetness and kissed by angels. Some baby boys come out screaming loudly and are kissed by Satan. Label Out was the latter.

Nobody in Fortes knew his name because they hadn’t wanted to know it. ‘Keep Off!” The warning screams when ordinary brushes up against arrogance. The staff instinctively knew to keep their distance lest he devour them. He was happy with that, he had little time to entertain the simple.

Tonight he sat alone at the bar sipping a twelve-year-old double cask neat. A large expensive watch dripped off his left wrist screeching loud money. His jacket, very carefully, very purposefully hung on the back of his chair with the label out. All of it howled raucously like the day he was born.

He was wealthy, this wasn’t to be argued. He worked very hard to make it to the top ten in his legal firm. He thrived there because as stated earlier he was kissed by Satan and when Satan lifted his lips he lifted off part of his soul. Label Out had no conscience and with no conscience, he was able to manipulate the law to benefit some very bad people. This made him a lot of money.

He was reading the menu.

**

She walked through the double glass door effortlessly. Mike glanced up as she stepped toward the bar and thought of three simple things simultaneously:

Stunning. Cocoa. Rosé.

In fact, Cocoa was exceedingly stunning. Her skin was iridescent. It was chocolate left in the sun melting into a bar of gold. Long dark hair the color of ink framed her face and when she pushed a strand over her right ear her temple revealed a kiss of a freckle left there by an angel long ago. Her dark lips were glossed in light pink and when she parted them to speak she revealed perfect teeth.

Anything held in contrast against each other is magnified, perhaps greater than it really is. Black coal beside a down feather makes the coal harder and darker, and the feather becomes softer and brighter. Cocoa’s teeth were that. Bright white against bronze skin. Cocoa’s wit was that. Vivacity honed along dark steel. She was saucy.

A smile pulled playfully at the edge of her lips and a hint of humor tugged the corner of her eye. She smelled like a tango. Vanilla Bean and Channel Number Five held tight in a calesita begging to be watched as they gently melded together. Sultry. Sexy. Thirsty.

Cocoa hung up her cream-colored raincoat on the back of the bar stool label in, she didn’t know there was any other way. She took a seat as Mike flagged her with a black napkin.

“What may I pour for you,” he asked fully expecting her to say Rosé.

She smiled and raised an eyebrow. “Today my friend, a shot and a beer,” she finished her order with a wink, laid her clutch on the bar top, and started playing with the corner of her napkin.

Mike was amused to be wrong his smile revealed that.

“Your preference?”

“Ah…” she glanced at the tap handles knowing full well what she would order even as she did so.

“Guinness and Jameson please.”

Mike’s Irish heart skip a beat as he tumbled into love. He turned to draw the pint and the corner of his eye caught Label Out peeking up over his menu studying hungrily, observing Cocoa as Cocoa observed the room. Mike wasn’t surprised when Label Out stood, lifted his jacket and his glass, and moved his position to the seat beside Cocoa’s. The bartender glanced to the corner of the restaurant to make sure Sebastian had noticed this too.

Sebastian was jovial and big. Hours were spent in the gym developing muscles that lay firm and rippled under roped veins. His tumultuous past cut into his skin with scars and ink. He walked away from that life five years before when he was saved by the blood of Jesus. The tattoos of his formal life were now tucked into his tuxedo, tucked into the corner of Fortes. He nodded subtly, assuring Mike he had indeed seen it. Mike knew it was safe to take his eye off Label Out and use it to flourish the Guinness with a foamy shamrock. He placed the finished masterpiece on Cocoa’s curling napkin. The shot beside it keeping company.

Without asking if he could be in her space, Label Out pulled back the barstool next to Cocoa and sat down.

She saw all that he wanted her to see; the fine watch, the pricey fitted silk shirt, the jacket's expensive label waving. She smelled his expensive cologne and saw the bartender pour the scotch they hid behind lock and key. She took a sip of her Guinness and nodded when Mike asked her if she would like to see a menu.

“I don’t think I’ve seen you in here before.” Label Out started. “Where are you from?”

“Of course, you can take this seat. No, I’m not meeting anyone here at all…” Cocoa said sarcastically, licking the foam and her sass with the tip of her tongue from her upper lip. “Do you do this often?” she smiled genuinely.

“What do you mean? Do I come here often? Yes. I do. "

Mike winked at Cocoa, and a smirk pulled the corner of his mouth. He turned quickly to hide it from Label Out.

“Well, at least you smell nice.” She took another sip.

“You are very beautiful.”

“Thank you.”

" Are you visiting?”

“Yes, just a visit.”

“Alone or with a friend?”

“Excuse me? Bartender. May I have another napkin, please? It seems the Guinness is getting away from me today.” She smiled.

Mike nodded and swiftly placed another in front of her.

“Well?” Label Out continued to probe.

“I’m here doing some research,”

“That sounds interesting. On what?”

“Breeding Habits of the Nile Crocodile.”

Mike chuckled behind his apron.

Label Out noticed and looked visibly annoyed. “Did I miss something?” he frowned at Mike.

“Family history.” Cocoa turned her body directly toward him setting herself between his bite and Mike. “I’m from back east, I’m doing research on my family that immigrated to Vancouver from Europe. I’ve heard wonderful things about the city so I thought I’d combine a vacation with my research.”

The diversion worked. He took his teeth out of the bartender and set them back down.

“Oh, I could show you around.” He offered.

“Of course, you could.” Cocoa cocked her head to the left never letting go of her grin.

“I mean it,” Label Out continued, “this city is mine, I know all the best spots, and I can get us into all the great clubs. Hell, I even have tickets to tomorrow night’s hockey game, club seats. Gretzkey's in town. We could go there. This gold watch isn’t a replica you know, Vancouver is mine. So what do you say? Let me show you my city.”

Cocoa died a little more inside and desperately worked at keeping her eyes from rolling back.

“I think I’d just like to chew on a steak.”

“I’ll buy it for you.”

“No thank you.”

“Why not?”

He seemed like a smart man it perplexed her and humored her that he didn’t know he was dumb. She let him continue.

“I’m a lawyer, I’ve just won another case…”

“I work for many celebrities perhaps you know them…”

“I drive a convertible coupe in the summer and hire car service in the winter.”

“See this watch, it cost me…”

and Cocoa continued to smile and nod disinterestedly until her Guinness got low.

“Bartender!” Label Out clicked his fingers together demanding attention. Immediate attention. Mike turned toward him and smiled.

“Yes sir, what can I get for you?”

“Please bring the lady another drink, put it on my tab.”

The lady looked up at Mike and said “Please don’t.”

“Let’s move over to a table I’ll buy you dinner.” He pressed.

Cocoa reached across the bar and drew her clutch purse closer to her. Calmly she opened the clasp and glanced inside. She drew out a five-dollar bill and laid it on the mahogany bar top. Closing the clasp she laid the clutch back on the bar, picked up her Guinness, and took a sip.

" I have been nothing but nice to you. I offer to take you to a game with really great seats. I offer to buy you dinner and then I offer to buy you a drink. You turn everything down. What is wrong with you?” Label Out’s agitation was visible. Sebastian noticed and moved a step closer to the bar. Mike stayed put before them not moving to the left or the right keeping his eye steady on the scene in front of him.

Heat could be felt from the being beside her. Cocoa sat calmly drinking her pint.

“Well?” He spat out.

“Which steak would you recommend today, the Rib eye or the Tenderloin?” She asked Mike.

Label Out flicked his tongue between his teeth like a serpent before he picked up the golden liquid, twirled the glass, and sipped, sucking it back through gritted teeth. Whiskey coated his tongue and the words continued to slide out.

“I said WELL?”

Cocoa lifted her head and looked Label Out directly in the eye.

“Honey, it seems to me you’re looking for some easy spread, may I suggest a jar of mayonnaise?"

A pin drop. Silence so silent a pin drop could be heard followed by spontaneous uncontrolled laughter lifted from deep inside Sebastian on the right and Mike on the left. Cocoa sat sweetly sipping her Guinness. Label out turned seven shades of red.

“It also looks to me,” Cocoa continued, " that you might be maxed out on your credit cards.” She put one fingertip on the top of the five-dollar bill and slid it in front of Label Out. “Please allow me to buy you that jar.”

When arrogance is rebuffed it changes to rage and that was what stood in front of them now, rage, iced eyes hard and cold.

“Bitch.” Slid off his serpent tongue.

“It’s the thought that counts right?” Cocoa shrugged her shoulders and crinkled up her nose playfully.

“Time to go, sir.” Sebastian stepped forward with two other Tuxedos.

“Ya, ya. I’m leaving. I don’t need your help.”

As Label Out was escorted from the building, Mike put a fresh Guinness in front of Cocoa. “I don’t think he was expecting that.” He laughed as he slid the pint toward her. “That was bloody brilliant.”

“Thank you. ” Cocoa genuinely grinned. "The next show starts at ten pm get your tickets now.”

Mike laughed and put out his hand to shake hers. “My name is Mike. God, I think I’ve fallen in love with you!”

Cocoa raise her hand and slid it into his still smiling. “I’m Josephine Fortes, call me Jo.” 

April 13, 2023 15:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Michał Przywara
20:47 Jun 05, 2023

Some great descriptions here, as others have mentioned, and the final rejection was deeply satisfying. Arrogance can be a very ugly thing, and Label Out exemplified it. He's entitled, and frankly fragile when he doesn't get his way. There's some great examining of his character, in the four lines starting with "I’m a lawyer, I’ve just won another case…" Normally we'd expect the lines to alternate between the two speakers, but this isn't a dialogue at all. He doesn't care about what she might have to say, and he's only here to brag. This wa...

Reply

Glenda Toews
01:48 Jun 06, 2023

Funny how a writer writes things in subconsciously, Sebastian is most definitely a lifeguard and it's fitting seeing as the story's foundation is on Joe the lifeguard, I push that idea further with Sebastian being a born again Christain, with that faith also being 'life guarding' :D Label out is a dick, for sure he will NOT let the insult go. :D Thanks for your taking the time to read and to type your thoughts out Michal, it's truly appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
23:10 Apr 20, 2023

Your descriptions are so vivid weaving a colorful tapistry to create your story. I was literally cringing everytime Label Out spoke. The arrogance, and the failure to recognize it, are what make him so bothersome, so having him butt heads with Cocoa set up the perfect conflict. Great story, Looking forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Glenda Toews
00:08 Apr 21, 2023

Thank you for taking the time to read this Wally! It is so easy to hate Label Out, isn't it. We have all met bits and pieces of him in our lives, haven't we?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:48 Apr 20, 2023

Too precious for words. That's my thought that counts for not much. Whew! where did you come from. This is just the tops. Descriptive and lively. Loved 'Label Out's name. 'Also, there is so much material to read here I've been clicking on each prompt and clicking to the last page, to the stories with no likes and no comments, and choosing one. Everyone loves their work to be read and it seems so natural to select the ones with a lot of likes. While some of the ones with no likes and no comments might need work, the authors have taken the ti...

Reply

Glenda Toews
22:17 Apr 20, 2023

Well thanks for taking the time to scroll, find, and read my story Mary. I do appreciate it! Your comments are also a fantastic boost to the ego🤗. I don't know that I want to be at the top. The top is something for me to aspire to. Once there then what? Tumble, tumble, tumble. The higher you are the more it will hurt. No I think I'll take my pleasure in meeting people the average way. In the middle. Knowing they read my story because they searched is a wonderful feeling all on its own! I will be visiting your site to read one of yours in a ...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:35 Apr 20, 2023

Whoa. Isn't it strange I haven't even thought of a favorite story of my own. I range from the silly to gut-wrenching real life. Never considered myself a writer at all if you read my bio. I like my first attempt because I wrote it for my sister's b-day and it touched her to tears. I found Reedsy at the same time so thought I would give it a whirl. My last one is a bit of the manuscript I wrote last year which made me decide to learn more about what I am supposed to be doing. Viga, whom I love, pointed out some shortfalls on that one. I thin...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tamarin Butcher
14:06 Apr 20, 2023

Loved the ending! Fantastic! I also liked the idea of some people being "kissed by Satan" and could immediately picture it in my mind.

Reply

Glenda Toews
17:23 Apr 20, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to read it Tamarin! I know a few who have been kissed by Satan myself, sometimes they actually look more good than bad though lol. I'm glad you liked the ending. Jo was a fun character to write. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
00:18 Apr 20, 2023

I really, really enjoyed this, Glenda! The way you weaved Joe Fortes the man into Joe Fortes the upscale bar, into some scumbag hitting on a relative of Joes was very sweetly done! And I too am in love with Josephine! She has sass and she has class and it just flows so well. And your descriptions! I'd point out my favorites, but there is so many. The building comparisons, locations, vehicles, Mike, Sebastian, all brought to life. And of course Label Out's quiet but thorough rebuke was a joy to behold. This feels as if there is so much left...

Reply

Glenda Toews
00:44 Apr 20, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to read it Kevin and for commenting...and what exuberant comments lol. I enjoyed them. I also love Josephine. She's that voice of all of us if we just had a moment to think clearly when we are face to face with arrogant jerks;) I think I could weave more of these characters into future stories. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
21:50 Apr 19, 2023

What a well crafted piece! Your descriptive language sparkles without being ostentatious and is a pleasure to read. The way you built tension into the piece was really masterful. When Label moved over to the bar, you just knew it was going to get good, and the payoff was great! Thanks for a good read!

Reply

Glenda Toews
00:11 Apr 20, 2023

Thanks for taking the time to read it. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mike Rush
02:33 Apr 18, 2023

Glenda, My gosh your descriptions are pretty amazing. I was right there. I love a story with a strong female character. And how cool was it that you set the whole thing up with a true story. I had to look him up, but I was so impressed. A little truth woven through fiction makes the piece so enjoyable. And I so appreciated the way the prompt was met. It was used as an insult! Perfect! Thanks for posting, MIke

Reply

Glenda Toews
03:07 Apr 18, 2023

Thank you for your comments Mike. I have fun writing fiction into non fiction. (I learn a lot about random things too🤣) Equally I'm impressed you took the time to look him up! That prompt was absolutely perfect for Cocoa (Jo). It's like it was there, sitting at the bar waiting for her the whole time. Thank you for reading and I think it's funny you have the same name as the bartender 🤣.

Reply

Mike Rush
15:11 Apr 22, 2023

Glenda, May I just say how impressed I am that you know how to include emoji's in replies! I am such a dinosaur! I couldn't even type emoji right. Auto suggest, what a savior. M

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
04:09 Jun 08, 2023

I'm sure working in a pub you have seen plenty of this. I loved the way you worked in the historical figures to give what could have been a simple pub story even more depth. I see this will be one of the stories in your new book. I am looking forward to reading it. I'm glad you sparked a challenge for me. I will also read all of your stories and comment. I enjoy your stories, and look forward to more.

Reply

Glenda Toews
04:20 Jun 08, 2023

Ha! Tomorrow I shall find another of your Detective Sweet😬. In my line of work arrogance is spread like butter , Label Out was easy to write😆. Mike was easy to write because we bartenders have seen it all and smirk in the back ground when we see 'Label outs' playing....we are more impressed with characters like Cocoa (Jo) who see through it...or don't sell themselves to it. I've used the Mayonaise line in real life...about 5 years ago..it was amazing😁 Label Out makes an appearance in Spinning on a Barstool...though his name was originally B...

Reply

Glenda Toews
04:28 Jun 08, 2023

Apparently business frown on their name being attached to suicide, death, murder and arrogant jerks...who knew?🤷🏻‍♀️

Reply

Show 0 replies
David Sweet
14:47 Jun 08, 2023

That was a fantastic line! You have a great flair for character as you have witnessed enough of it. I find myself living my life through others. I was a boring teacher. Haha. My daughterin-law used to fall asleep in class all the time. But I love you development of characters and turns of phrases. You have a gift. I am so thrilled for you that you were able to publish.

Reply

Glenda Toews
15:11 Jun 08, 2023

Thanks, Detective Sweet lol... I'm looking forward to you reading the book as the story is fantastic and true. When I finished the manuscript I didn't realize what an immense feeling of accomplishment would follow. It was indescribable. Now, I'm encouraging every writer to complete one book, so if you haven't done so David, I absolutely suggest you NEED to ! I need MY autographed copy right! :D and... thank you for your kind words. I do believe you are correct, the writing is a gift... sometimes I sit and read the words that come out and thi...

Reply

David Sweet
19:31 Jun 08, 2023

Haha. You are so funny! I am attending The Appalachian Writer's Workshop in July, and I belong to another group, The Southern Appalachian Writers Coalition. Sometimes I feel outmoded, but u am going to keep plugging along. "Southbound" and "Cicero '59" are family stories that I am working on for a collection. Isn't your book a collection of short stories? I would be interested in your journey to publishing if I can manage to get all of my stories where I want them. I have wanted to be a writer since I was seven years old. It is the first t...

Reply

Glenda Toews
22:46 Jun 08, 2023

My book isn't a collection of short, unrelated, fictional stories... It's Non Fiction - Memoir with many stories of people I know tucked in between the chapters of the last couple of years of my life. I put it out with confidence because the editor coined it 'brilliant' storytelling. While to receive such a compliment was amazing I was actually just really relieved. She understood what I had written, and it flowed, from start to finish. That was my biggest fear. "Will this story be understood by someone who doesn't know me, or Chilliwack or...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.