Marie and I - Golden Music Part 3

Submitted into Contest #75 in response to: Write about someone whose job is to help people leave their old lives behind.... view prompt

217 comments

Suspense Mystery

“Okay, so it’s gonna take a while to get there, so I’ll catch you up,” Marie said in her scratchy voice.


“What is happening?” I asked.


We were tumbling through a black void, with glowing purple specks throughout. It was very empty compared to the complexities of the escape room, but if I focused, I could almost see a face looking back at me from all directions with glowing violet eyes.


“Oh, we’re just...travelling. It’s the fastest way to get there,” Marie said, straightening her dress while tumbling upside-down.


“And where is there?” I asked, trying to get a sense of up and down in the dark tumbling mess.


“Hmm. I think you would know it as Tartarus.”


“Like, the Tartarus in Greek mythology?” I asked, now curious.


“I think, yes.”


“But weren’t you born in Paris? Weren’t we in New York? Why are we going to where Greek gods-”


“It’s complicated, okay? It takes about...57 minutes to get there since it’s so deep. There is a lot I need to catch you up on before we arrive,” said Marie.


“How fast are we falling at?”


“Uh, I think it’s about...I actually don’t know.”


“Wow, the amazing Marie-Elizabeth Cléry does not know,” I said, not in the best mood.


“Do you think I would bring a speed indicator while falling to Tartarus? I barely know how to speak English, French is so much easier,” Marie said and tried to look me in the eye, but failed since we were tumbling through the air.


“I don’t know, just asking.”


“Okay. So. You got a good grade.”


“On what?” I said. Was this school all over again?


“The escape room, I meant,” Marie said, keeping her eyes on her shoes, which could mean up, down or sideways.


“What was my grade?”


“A 92 out of 100, so about an A for you Americans,” Marie said, putting dislike on the last word of the sentence.


“What was the point of the escape room again?” I asked, not really needing to say again because she had apparently forgotten to tell me.


“I was just getting to that if you would be patiente.”


Look at her, throwing in the French.


I nodded, signalling for her to begin the story.


“So basically what happened,” Marie started. “Is that some of the ghosts are having trouble leaving their lives behind.”


“What in the world is that supposed to mean?” I asked.


“The afterlife is about splitting off into different sections; paradise, boredom, or torture. My job is to help the people forget about what life they had, and move on.”


“What is the proper name for that job?” I asked, curious.


“Why?”


“Just to know.”


I was really going to use it to tease her, but she didn’t have to know that.


“Fine. It’s called a Metava, diverted from metavasi, which is transition is Greek,” Marie responded.


“You sound like my high school History teacher.”


“How fantastic, being compared to a History teacher,” Marie said with great enthusiasm.


The black surroundings slowly shifted into a grey, and then into a dark blood red. At the bottom, brown rocks shined with what I thought was oil, but could be something else. The ground was a pale red, with many, many blemishes, like pimples.


Gravity pulled Marie and me down to the ground, landing with a sharp thud.


“Lookee here, we’ve arrived. You’ll have such a jolly time.”




I looked around.


To say the least, that place was a mess.


Monsters were sprouting out of the ground, with legs and arms coming out of places you don’t want to know. Eyes filled with who-knows-what darted around, checking for predators. A river of fire (literally) swam down the middle of a canyon that opened up to the scenery before me. 


The creatures I saw probably would swarm in my nightmares, but that aside, Marie interrupted my thought with-


“Isn’t it beautiful?”


Sure Marie, sure. 


“Okay, sorry that we can’t stay to admire the view because there’s a problem at Hades’ place,” Marie said and sighed at the view.


“Hades? Like the Hades?” I asked.


“Is there any other Hades you know?” she answered with plenty of sass.


“Follow me, I know a shortcut.”


Splurk


And what a shortcut it was.


Lot’s of lava, 3 near-death experiences, and almost got lured into a lake of screaming voices.


Let’s leave it at that.


Once we were in a clearing where no monster was going to come out and eat us, I asked Marie a question I’d been wondering about.


“So, um, when did you die?” I asked very awkwardly.


“That, my friend, is classified information,” she replied.


Friend?


Marie-Elizabeth Cléry had an interesting definition of friendship.


“Why is it classified? I see when people die on Wikipedia all the time,” I pointed out.


“I have no idea what this Wikipedia of yours is, but it’s probably just another useless invention of you modern people. For your information, Hades classifies the death of his best Metava, so no one gets the wrong image,” Marie responded, looking content with herself.


“Right.”


We walked for a while in silence, Marie in happiness, me in curiosity.


“Here we are,” said Marie, gesturing up with her see-through hand.


“W-w…”


It was magnificent.

It was basically a castle, one made of shiny obsidian, as if oil had been rubbed on top. It was more than 20 meters tall, stretching up into the sky, the top endless. Turrets had ghosts with guard armour floating between them and chatting, but not producing any noise. Big black doors made out of black wood towered above us, the handle’s as big as my workplace. I couldn’t even tell how big this place was, how far it went back, or what was inside.


“So, is it okay?” Marie asked.


“Okay?! This is amazing! Who lives here, the richest man in the Underworld?!” I replied incredulously.


Marie gave me a confused look. “This is the Underworld. Hades’ palace.”



“Okay, follow me, we have an exclusive appointment with Hades in 5 minutes,” Marie said, strutting towards the door. 


Marie paused at the door and looked up at it, like a puppy to its mom. She gave it a death stare, and the door opened without any sound. 


“Care to join me?”


“Why yes, friend.”


Hades’ palace was as if the Underworld had broken loose.


Technically it was the Underworld, but don’t worry about that.


Skeleton warriors were scurrying around, avoiding decapitated cows while a stampede was going on. Ghosts like the ones on the tower were floating around, having a laugh while they watched the skeleton-cow showdown. A few tapestries hung here and there that depicted great battles with Hades as the commander, while some snake-headed monsters tried to shred them. Demigods were running around on pale horses, trying to stop all the chaos, which did not help at all.


One thing stuck out to me from all the rampage.


A giant man stood in the middle of everything, with a ring of calmness around him like a hurricane’s eye.


Being 10 meters tall does that to your subjects.


He wore black robes that glittered like the moonlight. His shoes were shadows, fluid and flowing, not always where they seemed to be. His face was a ghostly white, with chiselled features and sharp grey eyes. His hair swept across his head like waves on an ocean, and his hands looked strong, yet gentle.


“Come in, I believe you are the one I’m looking for,” Hades said and winked at me.


Marie and Hades started walking inside the palace and Marie yelled back to me, “Are you coming or not?”


I ran to catch up and thought, I have met a ghost that plays the harp, and Hades, the king of the Underworld.


My life was bonkers.


Once we got inside, Hades said,” Okay, so you’re not gonna be here for long, so don’t get used to it.”


I don’t think I could get used to it if I tried.


It was like the greatest cathedral had been painted with stars.


Everything was black, grey, or dark purple, with sparkly stones throughout, resembling the night sky. Instead of glass paintings, there were moving portraits of Gaia and Tartarus, moving between paintings and talking silently together. The silence stretched so far up that even Hades could stand up straight, and rugs of gold flowed across the floor.


Interesting, it looked just like Marie’s harp.


“Let’s get straight to the point, so-”


“Sorry to interrupt you,” I said, “But is this where Marie gets her harp?”


“Yes, you are correct,” responded Hades, shifting his weight with impatience. 


Marie lugged out her harp from nowhere, dropped it into the gold rug, and the harp disappeared.


“Could you explain what we need to do, Your Paleness?” Marie asked, looking up at Hades.


Your Paleness.


Go Marie.


“Yes Marie, I will explain why I’ve called you to my palace today,” said Hades in a very official-sounding voice. “We have a problem at the gate.”


Marie's face flooded with worry.


“The arriving gate, sir?”


Hades nodded.


“What happened, sir?” Marie asked with urgency.


“I was just getting to that Marie,” Hades said, trying not to express too much emotion.


“Go on sir.”


“So, to get in the Underworld, you need to tell the guards what you did during your life so they can evaluate where you need to go. If you did great things, like George Washington, you would go to Elysium or Paradise. If you just lived a normal life, you would go to the Fields of Asphodel. If you were someone like a burglar, you would go to the Fields of Punishment. Do you understand?” Hades asked.


I’d read my share of Percy Jackson books, so I was very familiar with this Underworld business, but I just nodded. 


“One of our ghosts forgot their life. And it seems to be spreading.”


Marie looked like she was about to throw up. 


“How is forgetting your life contagious?” I asked, confused about what Hades had said.


“I don’t know, but you need to fix this fast, Marie, or else I’ll have to fire you,” Hades said with disappointment. 


“Yessir, I will do that as soon as possible,” Marie said automatically.


“Also Marie, if you succeed, think of this as your biggest accomplishment yet. If you fail, well, this will be your last assignment from me.”


Hades handed me and Marie a sad smile, and walked away, disappearing into the darkness.


Marie led me out of the palace, rambling out of worry.


“Oh no, what if I fail? Where will I go? Live with the skeletons? No, they have no appreciation for music. Where will I get my harp from? Maybe Hades would let me borrow--”


“Calm down Marie, it’s gonna be fine,” I assured her, trying to not make her so nervous that she floats all the way up to New York.


She took a deep breath in, then released it.


Her breath did not smell pleasant in the least.


“Okay, so let’s go to the gates and see how many people we need to help,” Marie said, turning to the back of the palace.


“How many people come in every day?” I asked.


“About 150 000 people come through the Doors of Death every 24 hours,” stated Marie.


“So how many people could catch this...thing?”


“I have no idea.”



We arrived at the Doors of Death, and it looked like an airport on Christmas Day.


Swarms of ghosts floated around, trying to call for help for where to go. The two-headed dog in the distance was testing out how light ghosts were by grabbing them by the teeth. There were ghosts of all sizes, all ages, all religions.


Death doesn’t have any discrimination borders.


On the far left side of the “airport”, a hoard of ghosts stood there, gazing mindlessly around, asking other ghosts where they were.


There were more than 100 ghosts.


“I think we’ve found them,” I said.


Marie buried her face in her hands.

January 06, 2021 19:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

217 comments

19:38 Jan 06, 2021

ok hope you liked part 3! is this title good? if not, TITLE SUGGESTIONS PLEASEEEE I'll try to make part 4 next week if it fits a prompt (I hope it will) :D ~ Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies

Yes, I know people use this comment section to comment about the person's story...but I just HAVE to say this. Amethyst (can I call you Amy??) I love your bio and I can relate so much to it. Now about the story... I have no words. Seriously. I think your wonderful story says it all and means it all. Amazing job! Always love your writing style (and though school has started...) please continue to write! :)

Reply

03:02 Jan 07, 2021

YES you can call me amy :) THANK YOUUUUUU yes I will continue to write I wanna try and publish a book before 2022 Mind me for asking, but what do you relate to? someone saying that they relate to me is like😲 XD ~ Amethyst

Reply

I'm glad I can! Your welcome Amy! ;) You definitely should, and I'm always here to support and cheer you on! If you have a goal, then go for it! Oh...well, I'll tell you. (Godly Parent thing, Bunny, Extroverted Introvert, Loved all your quotes, and the Harry Potter houses!) Hope you are having a great week!

Reply

15:09 Jan 07, 2021

woweeeee we are like the same person XD I try to change the quotes every week or so, cause I get a bit tired of them you too!

Reply

Haha, I guess we are! =D I like reading different quotes, so yay me! :)

Reply

22:20 Jan 07, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
12:52 Jan 09, 2021

hellooooo i come from homeworldd, i noticed people downvoting you, sooo take my upvotes, and mostly because i love clicking those triangle shaped buttons you call uPvOtES, and because I LOVE AMETHYST FROM STEVEN UNIVERSE, and your name reminds me of her :D

Reply

17:14 Jan 09, 2021

hellloooooo YAY THANK YOUUUUUUUU woohoo, I havent watcched steven universe aDd tHaT tO mA liSt thank uuuu

Reply

Danny -
06:17 Jan 10, 2021

you'reee welcomee :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:44 Jan 06, 2021

This is probably one of the funniest stories I've ever read. YOU NAILED THE GREEK MYTHOLOGY THING AME!!!! Also, I shall refer to Hades as "Your Paleness" form now on.

Reply

19:46 Jan 06, 2021

tHaNk yOu #PercyJacksonFanSoItWasABreeze thats a long hashtag XD yes hahaha ~Your Paleness~

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
19:47 Jan 06, 2021

XD

Reply

19:49 Jan 06, 2021

also i dont feel caliginous if you were wOndErInG

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
19:52 Jan 06, 2021

alright lol

Reply

19:53 Jan 06, 2021

i feel...likeflashbackmaryandlaughingfromtheYourPalenessbusinessandhowIforgotthathernamewasMARIEnotMARY oof

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
19:38 Jan 06, 2021

Hi girl!! Great job, but i think for this you should stop and smell the roses, delve into their emotions and backstories. Great dialogue and amazing job!!

Reply

19:40 Jan 06, 2021

thank you! Okay, I'll keep that in mind for part 4 :D THANK YOUUU LUKE ~ Amethyst

Reply

. .
19:40 Jan 06, 2021

No problemmmmmmm!!!!! Critiques are AMAZINGGGGG

Reply

19:41 Jan 06, 2021

yes they AREEEEEE

Reply

. .
19:42 Jan 06, 2021

AND I LUV GIVING THEMMMMM

Reply

19:42 Jan 06, 2021

YOU'RE REALLY GOOD AT GIVING THEM TOOOOOOOOOOO

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:15 Jan 08, 2021

luke could you make a new thread cause this ones getting LONGGG

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💜💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Reply

18:20 Jan 09, 2021

YAY lets go update the pollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll im writing a crossover story rn, and i wanna make the most dramatic ending possible :DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
17:25 Jan 07, 2021

Hey ame

Reply

17:26 Jan 07, 2021

HEWOOOOOOOO

Reply

17:27 Jan 07, 2021

what about flashback marie? shes a ghost anyways, so it makes sense XD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
17:30 Jan 07, 2021

HAHAHAHAHAH

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
17:30 Jan 07, 2021

YESSS FLASHBACK MARY EVEN THO SHE CREEPY

Reply

17:31 Jan 07, 2021

hahaha YES

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:35 Jan 09, 2021

Hi, Amethyst! Want to be in my new fantasy? Just tell me your character's: Hair color Eye color Skin color (it's fantasy so it could even be, like, silver or blue if you want to) Age Height Magic power/element Talent Spirit animal thanks!

Reply

18:38 Jan 09, 2021

OOOH wait im doing some repairs on the tv rn brb

Reply

18:40 Jan 09, 2021

Ok!

Reply

18:43 Jan 09, 2021

do i have to take a spirit animal test or...

Reply

18:45 Jan 09, 2021

Nah, you don't even need one, I jsut put it in there to be cool

Reply

18:50 Jan 09, 2021

i just took a test and... Hair Colour: Brown with a streak of purple Eye Colour: Deep purple Skin Colour: warm light olive Age: 13 Height: 5 foot 4 Magic Power: Earthy stuff Talent: Talking to animals Spirit Animal: Hedgehog Buzzfeed said I'm a hedgehog, and they're cute, so I don't complain :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
19:01 Jan 09, 2021

EMMIE COULD YOU CHANGE MY SPIRIT ANIMAL TO A WOLF??

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:28 Jan 09, 2021

🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈 I love Aerin's bio, and that's also the format of mine, so... XD

Reply

17:28 Jan 09, 2021

YAYYYYY okee lets start the chart when should I end the poll?

Reply

17:29 Jan 09, 2021

I'd give it another week and see what happens, then end it. :D

Reply

17:30 Jan 09, 2021

ok lEt'S sEe hOw mAnY pEoPlE vIsIt mY bIo probably not a lot XD

Reply

17:31 Jan 09, 2021

Lol okay

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
16:16 Jan 08, 2021

NEW THREAD

Reply

16:17 Jan 08, 2021

YAY so is the puzzle...The Dove Book? Doves and Crows? Lonesome Dove?

Reply

. .
16:18 Jan 08, 2021

Stop taking the clues so literally!!! Some of them are symbols!!

Reply

16:19 Jan 08, 2021

oop soryy! uhm, the plague of doves?

Reply

. .
16:20 Jan 08, 2021

NOOOOOO DOVES ARE NOT TO BE TAKEN LITERALLY

Reply

16:21 Jan 08, 2021

ACKKKK gosh this is hard War and Peace?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:34 Jan 08, 2021

Amethyst you've done it again!!!!! I'm now over the top obsessed with this seriessss You're so good at writing mysteryyy!!!

Reply

15:32 Jan 08, 2021

YAYYYYYYY wowee thank you so mucho ITS SO FUN TOO :D

Reply

16:11 Jan 08, 2021

😀

Reply

16:13 Jan 08, 2021

I WANT NEW PROMPTSSSS

Reply

16:14 Jan 08, 2021

ME TOOOOO WHERE ARE THEY REEDSY?!?!?!!

Reply

16:15 Jan 08, 2021

YAHH!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ruby 💫
20:58 Jan 07, 2021

Hi Amy! This was a great story no words. Good job!❤ Can't wait for part 4! -Ruby💖

Reply

02:47 Jan 08, 2021

Hellooooooo Thank youuuuu yess, i really want to write it :D ~ Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
18:10 Apr 10, 2021

it's...it's...it's #speechlessincaseyoucanttell lkjhgfdertyuikjhgvfcdsdfrtyuikijhgfds just like the books JUST like the books too bad I haven't gotten to this part yet...spoiler for me woohoo. jkjkjkjkjkjk kjhgfdftyuikjhgvfd no words just no words yep, i'm going crazy (over this series)

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
23:14 Jan 09, 2021

HI SPAM PLEASE I"VE TRIED TO UPVOTE ALL YOUR POSTS ALREADY.

Reply

23:16 Jan 09, 2021

SHANKS oh no thats copyrighted by aerin

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:16 Jan 09, 2021

SHANKS oh no thats copyrighted by aerin

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:16 Jan 09, 2021

SHANKS oh no thats copyrighted by aerin

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 19 replies
Akshaya ✨
14:27 Jan 09, 2021

Hi Amethyst! I loved this entire series!! I really enjoy your style of writing, and it was a definite pleasure reading this! Can't wait to read more of your work! Great job!! Keep it up!! :D

Reply

17:16 Jan 09, 2021

Hi Akshayaaa! Thank uuuuuu!! I'm so happy you enjoy it! I have a GREAT idea for part 4 hint: a crossover :D

Reply

Akshaya ✨
16:29 Jan 10, 2021

Of course!! Nice!! I'll read it when you post it!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.