14 comments

Drama Fiction


I have a secret. Doesn’t everyone? Stop gawking at me! It’s just a secret. I thought readers weren’t supposed to judge me. But my secret is dangerous. Well, it's not MY secret. It's our secret. A family secret. But it could destroy everything if it got out. No, stop badgering me. I’m not telling you. Well, at least not now. It’s hard, you know. I have a little sister. And she’s 8. But she doesn’t know how to keep secrets. So my parents obviously didn’t tell her. But, she overheard my older sister telling me. So, now we are brainstorming how to keep little Lily’s mouth shut. I mean Lily spilled to my crush that I liked him! She found out by scrolling through my text messages with my friend Maya! It was embarrassing because now he thinks I'm awkward. Thanks a lot, Lily. My grandma would freak if she found out. But she’s moving in. All the more reason for Lily to not know. It’s midnight though so I don’t know why I’m up. My light should be off. Maya installed security cameras in my room somewhere that I’m trying to find. She is big on getting enough sleep, and she WILL be upset if she finds out I’m up. I shut off my light and went to bed. 


Beep beep beep. The sound of my alarm clock going off. I hit the snooze button, not wanting to get up. I fell back asleep and was awoken to the sound of my alarm going off again. Reluctantly I lifted up my head to look at my alarm clock and saw the time. Woah 11 o'clock. At least it's the weekend I thought. Otherwise, I would really be late for school. Wait! It’s 11! Grandma Rose said she’d be here at 12! Ok, I gotta get up. I thought to myself. I got up and pulled my hair out of its messy bun and threw on a T-shirt and leggings. I ran downstairs, grabbed a pastry from the counter, and walked to my older sister Lola’s room. “Hey Lols,” I said, knocking on her door. “Can I come in?” I asked. “Yep” I heard Lola’s tired voice reply from the other side of the wood. I walked in and saw her lying sprawled out on her bed looking at her phone. “I was thinking about “It” last night and needed to talk to you.” “Yes? What about it?” she asked. “I just hope Lily can keep her mouth shut. You know how Grandma Rose would react.” “Lavender,” Lola said. “Why are you worried? Mom and I have it covered. Please, rest your brain. You haven’t had a day where you don't bring this worry up. It’s unhealthy. Now, why don't you go back to your room and listen to some music or socialize with a friend? You have a phone you know. Use it!” “Fine.” I trudged back to my room and put my earbuds in. 


I laid in bed for who knows how long and then I heard the doorbell. I couldn’t help but run to Lily’s room to make sure that I occupied her for as long as I could. I heard Grandma Rose talking to mom while I played charades with Lily. I kept playing and playing knowing Lily wouldn’t get bored. That is until Grandma decides to say, “where's my little Lily!” As soon as Lily heard it she bolted downstairs. Thankfully she didn’t notice Grandma’s presence until now. I went to my room hoping my mom would take care of it. I was tired come to think of it. But as soon as I got in bed I sat bolt upright. My mind went through scenarios of what could happen if I fell asleep. I decided to stay awake in case my mom texted me. I might as well call Maya, I thought. Not even a second had gone by from the moment I pressed call that the call connected. Apparently, Maya was already on her phone. “Hi, Bestie!” She says. “Hi Maya,” I replied. “Hold it right there girl,” she says. “Why so glum! It's the weekend. Cheer up!” “I know Maya. I can’t stop worrying.” “About what?” she asks. “Maya! You know I can’t tell you.” “Yeah, I know. I figured I’d at least try.” I wish I could tell Maya. But I can’t. It hurts to keep a secret from someone you have known your whole life. I’ve kept the secret for a few months now, what's a little longer gonna do? “Soooo…” said Maya, breaking the silence. “What’s today’s agenda?” “Oh,” I said snapping back to reality. “Ummm, well Grandma Rose is here with all her luggage-” “luggage!” exclaimed Maya, cutting me off. “Why does Grandma Rose have her luggage?” “Oh! I totally forgot to tell you!" I said. "She’s moving in!” “What?! Yay! Then I can see her every day!” Maya walks home with me every day after school and stays until her mom can pick her up after work. Maya adores Grandma, and Grandma adores her. “Yeah! I said. You can!” I changed the subject from me to her, and asked her what her agenda was gonna be and if she could come over today. She replied with a “Yeah! I’d love to! What time can I come over?”


My phone pings as a notification blocks the top of Maya’s head. It was a text from mom to me and Lola. A text that read,

Girls, please come downstairs. I’m afraid something is going to happen.

My heart started beating. I told Maya I had to go and then I ran down the stairs. Lola was already there. As soon as Lily was in view, I heard her say, “Grandma Rose? Can I tell you a secret?” All three of us ran to Lily and told her to be quiet. She wasn’t listening. When that girl wants something, she gets it no matter the cost. That’s the thing I was worried about. “Sure honey!” Grandma replied. And before anyone could do otherwise, she told her. No, I’m not telling you my secret. But then something worse than I expected happened. Grandma collapsed. We all ran to her side and mom checked her pulse. Mom started crying. “What is it?” The three of us asked simultaneously. “Grandma’s dead.” She said.


October 24, 2020 01:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Keya M.
01:20 Nov 13, 2020

Intriguing, mysterious, and radical! Nice job!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
14:35 Nov 13, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
I Martinez
16:15 Nov 13, 2020

I loved your story! Great first submission. Can you guess who I ammmmm??

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
16:15 Nov 13, 2020

Haha. Thanks :)!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Madam GOAT
00:27 Nov 05, 2020

Oh La La! This is my kind of story! Good job! 👏

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
23:37 Nov 09, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
T. S. Burkhardh
20:33 Oct 29, 2020

I'd be interested to find out more, like what happens next. I thought it was interesting how you focused so much on the social media usage that constantly goes on, even when family members are at home together. The hyper, stream-of-conciousness style was what first made me curious to read the story.

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
23:38 Nov 09, 2020

Great! I'm glad the stream of conscious style worked!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julia Boddie
00:20 Dec 04, 2020

I loved this story. It was very mysterious and a great first submission. I think it was interesting how you never revealed the secret, even at the end.

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
03:26 Dec 04, 2020

Thanks! Yeah, I wasn't sure whether I should reveal it or not but I am happy with the decision!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alya Kaikuahine
23:21 Nov 04, 2020

I really like how you keep the secret so secret and keep mentioning how you won't/can't tell it. It keeps the story very interesting and keeps the readers on the toes. The ending is also very interesting and is a very big cliffhanger and makes me want to read more.

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
23:39 Nov 09, 2020

Yes! I was aiming for a hook that kept you engaged!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Terran Dowling
18:21 Apr 28, 2021

Woo! What mystery! Fabulous!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
19:10 Apr 28, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.