32 comments

Inspirational

Hi there! My name is Anita, and right now I am sitting with three other people eating at a restaurant, and chatting as if we've known each other all our lives but have only known them for like three days.

How did this happen? Well your about to find out...

12 hours earlier...

The person who tested me for corona spoke over the phone, "Miss... You tested... positive, and you need to get admitted now."

My eyes grew wide, I felt as though I'd just been hit in the head with a huge hammer.

I dropped my phone, and collapsed on the couch. When my moment of shock finally passed, I started to freak out... I have covid! I HAVE COVID! OH MY GOD! I CAN'T HAVE COVID! My mind was going hay-wire. I kept thinking I would die, that I'll die soon.

I didn't know what to do... should I call someone? Should I just isolate myself? Should I go to the doctor? What should I do! I could feel tears forming in my eyes.

After a moment of consoling myself, I realize that I don't have an option, I have to go to the hospital no matter how much I don't want to.

I sigh.

I get out my phone, and scroll through my contact list until I landed upon my older sister's name. I started to cough.

I let the phone ring for a full minute before I knew she wouldn't pick up, and I hung up. At first I thought of calling my parents but... they would only worry and start crying and I can't deal with them at the very moment... not when I'm trying to deal with myself.

After a minute of hesitation I get up, get the keys and lock the door.

I get in my car and drive over to the hospital. I get out my mask, and after a deep breath step out of the car, and walk inside the hospital. When I walked in I saw many people there who were sneezing or coughing, or others just showing pain.

I couldn't help it and started coughing, people near me soon put their difference from me. That's when I wondered, Would this be how's it's going to be like once people know I having corona. Will no one come near me ever again?

I tried my best to ignore those questions as I walked up to the register, and told the woman sitting, about the fact I had covid-19.

She subtly moved her chair a little further back, but I was still able to see, she told me, "Um, go over there" she pointed to the left side of the hospital where there was a line drawn, and in a nearby wall was the words 'Covid-19 patients ONLY'.

I nodded, and said, "Okay"

I walked over to the left side of the hospital, and took another deep breath before stepping in.

I walked a few more steps before I saw another counter, I walked over to it, and asked the man sitting behind the, well protected desk, "Excuse me, I have Covid... Where should I... go?"

He looked at me, and then answered, "Um... Wait over at those chairs someone soon will take you to a bed."

I nodded, "Okay"

I went over to the chairs and sat down. The next few minutes may have been hours, all my questions and thoughts kept haunting me, I was feeling really scared, right then, I just wanted someone who would truly understand me, to just openly speak to.

When the nurse finally came to get me, she told me, "Miss, follow me" she was wearing a thick mask with a face protector shielding her.

I did as she said and followed her, however where she took me wasn't a room, it was a giant space with three other people-Two men-One woman-were.

They were all on beds, and as we walked in they looked at me. The nurse stopped at the fourth bed, and turned to face me, "Miss, you will have to stay here due to the shortage of beds we're facing."

My first thought was to argue about this, but then again, what would arguing do?

It will do nothing.

Instead I replied, "Alright."

I went over to the empty bed, and lied down. To the right of me was the one girl and the other side was a boy.

After the nurse left the girl spoke, "Hey"

I turned a little to face her, "Uh hello"

"So... you have covid right?" she questioned.

I sighed, "Yes... I suppose you all too."

The boy next to me spoke, "Yes we do... We all came here yesterday."

Unable to help it I asked them, "So you all know each other then?"

The boy to the far corner finally spoke up, "Not at all. We've never met but we're now acquainted because of this... um situation"

"Oh I see" I replied.

The girl next to me spoke again, "So, what's you name?"

"Anita, what about yours?"

"I'm Alice, that over there is Alex" she pointed to the boy right next to me, "And the one in the far corner is Adrien."

"All A's huh?" I asked.

Alex gave a nervous laugh, "Guess so... Now who'd have expected that!"

"Where'd you live?" Adrien asked.

"I live in a nearby community." I replied.

Our conversation was cut when the a nurse, different then the one from earlier, walked in, she came right up to me and asked me a few question, and went over the procedure they did with any covid patient.

She checked my vitals, and my oxygen level.

After all that she left, the conversation continued, at first it was just the getting to know you questions, but then it went to talking about Covid...

I was saying, "I found out just an hour ago... that I had Corona... I... I was scared... I didn't know..."

"what to do" Alice finished for me.

I turned to her, "Yeah"

"I got Covid because I recklessly decided that going to the beach with my friends would be a good idea... that covid was gone that it didn't... exist. But I was wrong." Adrien said.

After a moment of silence I then told them, "I got it in a similar situation to when I had gone to a trip with a good friend of mine, I thought there was no possible way of getting covid-19 but" I gave a sad smile, "But I was wrong." I finished.

Alice reached over and patted me, "We all learn in different ways, I was like you... but that was before my dad... he died three months ago because of it... But it seems fate was finished with my family, I had taken ALL the pre-cautions but yet here I am."

None of my family members had gotten covid, and my heart broke for Alice and her father. Then for the first time since I found out the news on that I had Covid, I felt angry at myself, for being so stupid, if I had just stayed home, stayed safe I may not have been here!

"I'm sorry" I told Alice.

Alice gave me a soft smile.

Alex who was the most silent finally said out, "My sister had covid it seems... she came to visit me two days ago... she didn't have any symptoms at all, she was just as normal as someone without Covid, then the day she went back home she told me to get tested... when I asked her why she told me she was positive..."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing now... All four of us... we got covid in such different ways... it just makes me wonder how the rest of the world was doing right now.

Two days passed with regular check up's with the doctors and nurses, and one point of time Alice had woken up in the night, and by the noise I got up tooo, when I woke up she was gagging saying something about Oxygen, I quickly pressed the red button which was supposed to alert a doctor... Thankfully nothing too bad happened, the doctor had to come rushing in, and I heard her Oxygen levels were down, they were able to get her more oxygen though, and she was okay the next day... Which was a huge relief.

It was now Thursday, and it's been exactly two days since I was admitted. Over these past two days I was able to get to know Alice, Adrien, and Alex, a lot better.

Alice was a very positive person and even at the worst of times would find the silver lining. Alex was an interesting person, he seemed to have seen the world with all the advice he'd give, and his profession was photography so I guess that'd make sense. Adrien, was a lively person, though not as positive as Alice at times, he'd always be filled with energy.

I woke up toady at only 6 AM, as the sun seeped through the windows around the room. After a minute as the sleep wore off, I realized today was the day... that we'd all get tested again.

I was extremely anxious, what made it more complex was the fact that even any of us in the 4 of us had Covid that would mean we all had since we're in such close quarters.

When Alice woke up, I asked her, "Do you think?"

She looked at me, and smiled, "I'm sure we will be okay! Keep hope Anita!"

When a nurse came to test as us, she came with four testers ready.

She went to Adrien first, then to Alex, then to me, and finally over to Alice.

After she took them she told us, "We'll have the results in a few hours and we'll tell you."

Alice replied before any of us, "Alright, please tell us as soon as you get them though."

The nurse simply nodded before exiting the room.

The next few hours were torture to all of us. We kept worrying the results... We kept wondering what would happen if it were positive... for any of us...

At around 5 PM, the doctor that had mostly been tending to us came in with a big smile, she told us, "I have spectacular news! You all tested negative! You all don't have covid!"

My mouth fell, my heart raced, and I was filled with so much happiness! I couldn't believe what she just said!

The doctor after a small pause said, "You'll all be discharged first thing in the morning!"

The rest of the day was celebration for us four! We kept talking excitedly about what we'd do once we finally came out of the hospital! We were so excited and relieved! We'd finally be able to return to a normal life! I may have never been this happy in my life!

As promised we were discharged the next day morning! It felt so nice to feel the sun on my face again. I know it has only been three days but it truly felt as if it were forever!

Alice exclaimed "Guys! We should go out... You know to celebrate! To lunch! I am so tired of eating the same thing everyday I need some real food!"

"I agree!" I replied.

Alex and Adrien agreed as well and we headed out to a restaurant nearby.

That afternoon was one of the best time's of my life, the conversation between the four of us never stopped for even a moment.

So, there I sat with three other sort of-strangers, who I had known for 3-4 days.

If you ever happen to get covid-19, never lose hope, keep on believing, and stay positive, if you truly believe you will get better!

Stay safe out there!

June 29, 2021 02:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Ramona Taylor
20:08 Jul 12, 2021

If you really want to write, keep writing and rewriting and you’ll improve. I’m new at t his too and found Reedsy’s 10 free lessons very helpful. Only advice I have to share is that each and every sentence should be important to the storyline. Sometimes my tales are less than 1000 words, but I think they’re better without unnecessary words. Best of luck to you in future writing endeavors.

Reply

Retee Satish
00:17 Jul 16, 2021

Thanks for the advice!!! Will keep in mind! 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:12 Jul 10, 2021

Retee, well done. :) How timely! "Sun seeped". Love it. When I was you age, my writing talent was NOTHING compared to yours. Keep it going!!!

Reply

Retee Satish
00:17 Jul 16, 2021

aw Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riley Elizabeth
19:10 Jul 08, 2021

I like the concept of this story a lot! I'm fascinated by how you took a real-life issue (Covid-19) and turned it into a fun story. Excellent job, can't wait to see what else you'll accomplish on Reedsy!

Reply

Retee Satish
00:17 Jul 16, 2021

Thank you Riley!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daisy Torres
15:22 Jul 08, 2021

Hello, Retee! I'm part of your critique circle group!! I really like the bonds of friendship shown here!! It was very sweet and touching, especially how they were all thrown together by fear an Covid to create something beautiful! Well done. I thought the main character acted a tad bit on the dramatic side about covid, especially for not having symptoms outside of a small cough. (I had several close friends who came down with it, but were completely fine and recovered in no time). Just thought I'd throw that out there! Other than that bit ...

Reply

Retee Satish
00:18 Jul 16, 2021

mhm, looking back on it, I think your right-I'll keep those details in mind for future stories :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. Storbakken
01:52 Jul 08, 2021

The feelings and friendships and moments in this piece are picturesque and timely. Keep up the lively imagination, and the source from which you speak, your heart. May your stories continue to shed light on your experience and your lively ideas.

Reply

Retee Satish
00:18 Jul 16, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Merrie Ellis
22:33 Jul 04, 2021

Nice story. I like how you share the fears experienced with a positive test result.

Reply

Retee Satish
00:19 Jul 16, 2021

Thank you Merrie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laiba Nadeem
19:32 Jul 03, 2021

This story is really inspirational. 👍

Reply

Retee Satish
00:19 Jul 16, 2021

Thanks Laiba!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aurora Bluemoon
18:17 Jul 03, 2021

The story is nice. Neatly carried out. I can relate the impression of covid in human's mind, since me too embraced such deadly virus once. Anyway, you bring the positive side of covid positive...

Reply

Retee Satish
00:20 Jul 16, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sudhir Menon
14:17 Jul 03, 2021

An easy-read story, it portrays the trauma of patients In the present pandemic. The redeeming feature is that the protagonist finds three strangers and, on account of the common ailment among them, strikes a friendship. A good story, although some typographical errors have crept in. You may read my story 'Without Malice' written with prompt no. 1.

Reply

Retee Satish
00:19 Jul 16, 2021

Thank you Sudhir, and I'll check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshaya Sutradev
19:51 Jun 30, 2021

This story was horrible!

Reply

Saya Campbell
20:08 Jul 07, 2021

Instead of telling someone that their story is horrible, you should give them feedback on how to improve. Just insulting a story without any elaboration won't help them improve in any way.

Reply

Akshaya Sutradev
02:26 Jul 30, 2021

Ok.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Retee Satish
19:03 Jul 01, 2021

Why was is horrible was there something specific you didn't like Akshaya?

Reply

Akshaya Sutradev
02:47 Jul 02, 2021

Yes, all of your stories. Your stories are just toxic, you just rush writing in all of them.

Reply

Akshaya Sutradev
03:07 Jul 02, 2021

Your stories are useless, you don't belong in reedsy.

Reply

Akshaya Sutradev
03:07 Jul 02, 2021

You are such a horrible writer 😡

Reply

Retee Satish
18:02 Jul 02, 2021

Oh really? How would you know ANYTHING about writing? Huh? You don't have a single story yet you go around telling others that their stories aren't good. If you actually do have feedback you can say it, instead of being so rude understand? I'm not the one who doesn't belong here, it's you, Haters like you don't belong in Reedsy.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.