Binoculars or Telescope?

Written in response to: Write about a character with questionable morals.... view prompt

12 comments

Contemporary Friendship Funny

Another Saturday night and I ain’t got nobody…

He was thinking of the same damn song every weekend now. The quarantine and the curfew were things he could get used to; there was a bit of luck in having a condo in the downtown core. At least it was in a part of town without his company's handiwork. It was a perfect example of cinema right in front of him (Hitchcock be damned), all silent and distant. So, he thought, I just needed to add a song.

Another Saturday night…

He adjusted the telescope once more to get a clear view of the night sky. Usually, he would have focused on the set of three buildings across the quad. In front of the main lawn were a café (good for quick breakfasts and crowd watching), a tech firm (what exactly did they do?), and a gym (twice a week), all attached between the buildings. From the fourth floor up were the residential units. Some people had balconies that they overused or ignored; others had extra space outside the main floor that extended out (very modern). He was interested in the design of the buildings (hard not to be when you work for an architecture firm), choosing the condo as a quick way to get to work and have a view of the city’s long and painful gentrification. But there were other bonuses that you could not always count on.

The telescope was set.

He was not enjoying them tonight; he left the voyeurism to someone else while he focused on the night sky. There was a promise of a meteor shower and he knew that having the top of his building as a spot was perfect for it (less light pollution; not a cloud in the sky; moon waning peacefully). With his drink, some music (indie mix from the 90s; nothing better), and his bowl of popcorn (Chicago style), he was going to enjoy it…as soon as it started.

Was he early?

The digital clock was flashing 10:45, but he saw that there wasn’t a single trace or flash in the sky. Maybe if he went to the mountain…

The telescope dropped for a moment on its tripod as he stood up. Another adjustment and then…

He was staring down the blocks towards the quad.

There was a woman in her apartment arguing with her…boyfriend?

Every time I think I’m out…

Great, now he was thinking of movies again. Sam to Al to…what else?

She really was going at it with him, her entire body into it as he just stood there and let the waves pound at him (why had he watched Cast Away again this week?) There was a theory developing in his head that she must be in the right. He had no defense, so he could not speak (having lawyers as friends was very helpful). What could he say, anyway? He took another handful of popcorn and stared.

His watch beeped again.

Meteors should be back…but…

He walked out, leaving her standing there with her arms folded.

Now he really felt bad about it, but he needed to know what she was going to do next.

And then she looked up.


He jumped back on the cool tiles of his bedroom, hoping that the lights of the apartments in front of him were not enough to catch a glimpse of his lens. There were certain laws that might be on his side if he could prove that the telescope was being used for that meteor shower, but a good lawyer might ask why he did not go to a park or a roof (all penthouse residents have full access to the roof and the facilities therein; a nice little attachment to the lease). But that was for another day…

He looked back through the telescope, stepping carefully over the popcorn and whiskey on the floor (such a waste).

Enjoy that?

This lady worked very fast. On what looked like an artist’s sketch pad, she had scribbled out her question in large black magic marker.

He must have been easy for her to spot if she was doing this without her own telescope.

Was this a test?

His panic was tempered by his interest in her story.

And what was another great thing about working at home as an architect? There was always plenty of paper for sketches, ideas…and communication.

Sorry

It took her some time to put her thoughts down. She was working very quickly.

You should not do that

I know

Bored?

Yes. And no meteors.

She did not respond to this right away.

?

This would take some explanation. He wrote down only one phrase on a sheet.

Perseid meteor shower

At least she was curious about it. He saw her go for her laptop, plenty of time for him to find a rag, another glass, and more popcorn.

Interesting

Only tonight

When?

Maybe now. No sign yet.

One minute

She was now searching for something in her open-plan home. He noted the number of paintings and sketches in there (was she a professional artist?). At least he had more time to have another drink.

Binoculars.

She actually had a pair of binoculars trained on him.

Roof

Wait. Telescope.

?

 Can see things from here

Better with binoculars

No! Telescope!

This was now a debate.

Of all the expectations he had for the evening, this was not one of them. They began to go back and forth like semaphore experts on the merits of one over the other. She pointed out how easy it is to carry a pair around if you suddenly needed to see something that other people did not want you to see; he pointed out that he only needed to see such things when he was home and it was a very long weekend with nothing to do.

Naughty boy

Naughty girl

He saw her laughing in the condo now. It was aggravating to not hear what her voice sounded like.

Name?

Well, he did see this coming.

He froze and stared at the page in front of him. This one would have to be played carefully.

J. C.

Serious? No more?

Must be careful

Right

You?

She also took her time writing down.

Samantha

Jason

Jason and the meteors!

He loved that one. The spilled drink should have upset him a second time, but this was something special on a weekend with nothing better to do than be a voyeur.

Meteor man!

Meteor Samantha!

She was clever, funny and tolerant enough to except a complete stranger staring at her with a telescope. And also – why not admit it now – quite attractive. He noted how she remained dressed up during their whole back and forth signing. Her hair was swinging back and forth as she laughed and wrote out her messages (curly and definitely…brunette). And she was home alone after a bad time with another guy.

We should look up

I am looking up

Meteor time

Right

She was heading out, taking her binoculars with her. He would have to aim up to the stars to see what was happening. That was the plan.

And then he saw it.

The man she had been with was in a different apartment…with other women.

If he had not paid much attention to the previous scene, he would have been innocent here. Well, almost innocent. He knew that apartment rather well. The two young women on that upper floor really did not care who saw what they got up to when they were home and had parties, new dates, bare runs from the shower to answer phone calls, long movie and TV nights with only the two of them on the couch, clearly their best partners.

And now Samantha's former half...

How the hell did he…?

He was also looking out the window, up towards the night sky. The other two, holding glasses, seemed bored as he pointed at what must be a great show.

Meteors are special, he thought. He read about them online.

Just dirty comets full of snow and dust…

They don’t last and are often quite hard to spot.

?

He tilted the binoculars up to her roof. She was staring down at him, all alone with her binoculars, her sketch pad, and her smile.

Show’s starting!

He could not finish his drink and ignored the popcorn. He had to wave at her, or just do something before he sent her a final message.

Told you! Binoculars win!

He saw the first streaks behind her in the night sky.

Look!

She turned around and enjoyed the show.




August 12, 2022 21:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Graham Kinross
10:27 Sep 04, 2022

This needs a part two. I want to know what happens later to them.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
15:59 Sep 04, 2022

I have been thinking about it...maybe not with the food prompts... 🤔

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:19 Sep 04, 2022

This week’s prompts are very specific again. I prefer something vague. Are you working on anything for this week’s set?

Reply

Kendall Defoe
22:08 Sep 04, 2022

I started on two prompts (one is really getting to me and that might get done by Labor Day). How about you?

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:13 Sep 04, 2022

I’m working on a monster hunter one for the ‘food as a language of love’ prompt. I’m hoping to finish it today. This weeks has prompts seem to lend themselves more to conventional stories than the fantastical so I’ll give it a go.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
02:06 Sep 05, 2022

Interesting take...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bradon L
01:24 Aug 19, 2022

This was such a fun read! The humor was spot on! So simple but left me wanting to know what happens between them. I agree with Jaden, you should write this as a longer story.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
02:21 Aug 19, 2022

Always leave them wanting more...or so I've been told. I have many stories in that vein. Maybe they will develop something soon... Stay tuned!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
03:39 Aug 16, 2022

Totally unique meet-cute story! Love this.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
13:28 Aug 16, 2022

Thank you. I think this one could be a longer story...

Reply

00:25 Aug 17, 2022

It absolutley could. You should write it. You could always submit it for a different comp later.

Reply

Kendall Defoe
00:29 Aug 17, 2022

Fair point!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.