The Superhero

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy

One day on a sunny morning in Auto nagar, all the autowalas had gathered for an urgent meeting. They were dumbstruck about the situation they were facing. The leader of all the autowalas said “dear brothers, did you notice , all our rickshaws are probably on a strike. All the vehicles have run down fuel and the engines are out of order. It’s truly amazing that all the vehicles have shut down their engines and not willing to start, it’s a disastrous situation indeed, a major hit for us, the autowalas of Auto nagar. We need to find out the problem and solve it as soon possible, otherwise it will be major setback to us auto drivers and the common public especially school children.” Listening to their leader all the other autowalas nodded with consent.

Just a week ago these autos had hit the roads and had served the public. Now the situation has completely reversed. It showed as if the autos were on an indefinite strike.

Let’s get to the flash back part of our story. A bright morning in Autonagar, a few go-green eco-friendly autos had start their journey on roads. They had stopped for a break in the lunch hour. One of the eco-friendly autos Auto no. 001 said “ Look friends , I am fed up in moving in this city, look at the amount of dust and pollution here. My grandpa used to tell me, that this Autonagar was full of greenery with little houses , clean roads with clean surroundings. There used to be healthy children playing gleefully in lush green parks. Now look at today’s situation garbage strewn on roads, vehicles emitting pollutants, no greenery , and a concrete jungle with buzzing shops, children with heavy loads coughing and sneezing due poisonous effluents. Our city is gone to ruins. It’s a real pity our city is in a devastating stage. On listening to this Auto 007 said” Yes brother, your words are completely true, and my dad always says, our city was beautiful during his younger days, but now it is truly disastrous, I feel we have to do something about this”. Then the leader Auto 001 said “it’s high time we have taken firm decision to bring back our older city with clean environment”. All the go-green autos nodded with consent. The next day a few go-green autos Auto 001,007,008, 009 and few others consulted the other eco- friendly autos and held a meeting deciding to go on an indefinite strike. The eco-friendly autos naturally accepted it and were ready to join. But when the leader Auto 001 consulted the not so eco-friendly autos to join the strike, their leader Auto xxx did not show acceptance. He said” hey 001 , don’t you have better work to do, why do you bother about the city’s cleanliness, it is duty of the humans and not vehicles like us, whether the city is unclean or untidy why should we bother our job is to run on roads and take the public to their destination and nothing else. Mind your own business and let me do mine”. The leader of go-green autos Auto 001 was taken aback by his rude words. Auto 001 wanted to teach xxx a lesson.

One day it so happened, that Auto xxx had a major break down, due to the adulterated fuel consumption it broke down in the midst of the journey. This Auto had a daily passenger who was cute little child called Pihu. Xxx was very fond of Pihu his tiny friend. That day Pihu was very sick and had discomfort in her lungs. Her parents were rushing her to the hospital and xxx broke down with a whirring sound. All the other autos were on strike, the leader of go-green autos, 001 was leading the show. Auto xxx was very worried about Pihu. He pleaded each and every other Auto to help him. “Please, help me the child is very sick, she has to be rushed to the hospital”. No one heeded to his request. Finally xxx rushed to meet the Auto leader 001,” 001, please help me to save the child, she is very sick, I can’t see her suffering like that, all the others are not heeding to my request, please help me”. “Yes, I will surely help, let’s not waste time come lets go and save the kid”. They rushed her to the hospital and child was saved.

“Now do you understand the seriousness of the situation, the child got sick because of the human intervention, these humans have dirtied our locality and our city is filled with smog because of these deadly automobiles which emit poisonous gases?”  “Yes, you are correct; I didn’t gauge the seriousness of the pollution around us. I will also join the stir, and I will make my friends to follow me”.

The next day all the autos of Autonagar got together and started their indefinite strike. The people around were worried and they sought the help of the colony Super hero Sharan who had powers of understanding the vehicles. Sharan spoke Auto 001 and found out the reason for their strike.

001 said,” Look Sharan , you are the leader of humans and I head the Autos, So let’s make a deal, if you humans don’t stop polluting our town then we will never start to ply on the roads. It’s up to you to take the decision.” Sharan accepted the deal and then from the next day onwards the cleaning spree began, all the automobiles which hit the road were tested for emission and fined and unnecessary traffic was avoided. The city heaved healthy air and the kids played in the parks and greenery sprouted around. The whole city was clean and green now.  Sharan the little techie had put sensors inside the autos and had controlled all of them at a time and had shut their engines.

“Sharan,” his mother screamed what on earth are you blabbering in your sleep, are you day dreaming, wake up its time for your tuitions, you are in 10th grade and it’s your turning point you have to work hard. Get up and freshn’up , go to your classes” . His mother was still  blabbering Sharan smiled and dressed up to attend his classes. When he stepped out of the house he found the city was clean and green. Thanks to the city’s Municipality who took up work of cleansing the city. The real  superheroes who work hard to keep the city clean.

July 03, 2020 17:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.