21 comments

Contemporary Fiction Funny

This story contains sensitive content

TW: Strong language.


I’m really not a bad person.


And truth be told, I think an argument could be made that I’m actually a better person than a lot of the people out there, but hey, I’m not going to make that call (though I would absolutely not disagree if someone else said it first).


So, why am I being held by the security of a Better Foods grocery store while they determine if they need to call the real po-po, or perhaps a psychiatrist?


It’s honestly not that big of a deal. But Jim, the security guard eyeing me like a mentally unstable lunatic, might disagree. And that is definitely his right. Just as it is my right to disagree with his disagreement.


I suppose I should just tell you what happened, so you can decide for yourself what you think of me. But I’m warning you: once I tell you, I think you’ll really understand why I did what I did. And then, you’d better really watch out, because if they think I’m crazy, they’re definitely going to think you’re crazy, too.


Here’s what happened:


I was waiting in line to pay for some broccoli and teriyaki chicken I grabbed from the hot bar – they have an excellent hot bar that I highly recommend checking out if you have not yet (just don’t go on Fridays; I am convinced the chef just gives up that day and checks out for the weekend because nothing is ever good on Friday).


Anyways, everything was fine. I was fine. The checker was fine; he seemed to actually be engaging with people, instead of just mind-numbingly scanning items without making any eye contact with anyone. Everything was peachy.


Then, it was my turn. I moved up in line, and greeted the cashier, “Hey there, how’s it going?”


“Pretty good, pretty good. How’re you doing, sir?”


“Oh, it’s going, it’s going. It’s a lovely day out there. We live in a beautiful place.” I nodded out towards the parking lot.


“We sure do,” the cashier agreed.


There was nothing wrong with our conversation, and I think this is where my story and the security guard’s story get a little wonky. You see, the cashier was a fine young man, nothing too special about him, but nothing too bad, either. And it wasn’t anything he did or said that made me upset.


He was giving me my total and handing back my hot bar punch card – every 11th hot bar meal is free, just another reason why I highly recommend them – when I saw something next to the keypad that was flashing. And you know what, they do that on purpose, you know that, right? They make it all flashy like that so that you’ll look at it. And hey, I’m not immune to their tricks, no matter how hard I try, so, of course, I glanced over to see what it was.


At first sight, it looked just like another key pad, but one of the newer ones where you can just tap your credit card right onto it. They say it’s supposed to be quicker, easier, yadda yadda, whatever. I’m still getting used to the chip insert addition they made a few years back, but I know pretty soon here, they’re going to send me one of these new tapping cards, despite how I feel about them.


So, yeah, at first sight, I was thinking, this is just one of those fancy tapping card keypad things. But then, I saw something interesting. The flashing symbol was actually in the shape of a palm, as in a hand, and the words on the keypad said, “Pay By Palm.”


Pulling my eyebrows together, I tilted my head and stared at the darn thing, thinking, What in the hell.


And then, I actually said, “Uh, what in the hell is that thing?”


To which the cashier looked at me and smiled, saying, “Oh, that is our newest form of payment here at Better Foods! You can now use your palm to pay. All you have to do is pick a debit or credit card you’d like to use, and then you can scan your card and your palm, and we can link them –”


Woah. This was far too much for me. I could feel my face squinting up in disgust and horror. I was – and still am— absolutely dumbfounded. So, I said, “Are people actually into this?”


The cashier smiled shyly, and was about to respond, when the customer behind me – a man a decade or two younger than me – laughed and interjected, “Well, you’re not!”


I looked over at him, and still even now, I can’t determine if he was making fun of me or what the hell his unsolicited comment meant, but I know that it infuriated me. Almost as much as that stupid, futuristic, and intrusive machine that wanted to take my money right out of my palm.


And to be honest, I can’t say for sure, if it was this man’s comment that made me do what I did next, or if I would have done it anyway.


I smiled at the customer, then I looked at the cashier who was smiling nervously now – he could probably sense the way my energy had shifted – and I smiled at him, too. Then I grabbed the palm-reader with both of my hands and started pulling with all my might, yanking and twisting until I saw its wires pulling up out of the countertop. I yanked harder, and the thing detached. I threw it down hard on the floor, and it shattered.


I vaguely remember hearing someone – probably the jackass who the made the comment, because frankly, I don’t think the cashier has any balls – yelling, “Woah, man, chill out!”


But I did not listen. No, instead, I walked over to the next cashier’s aisle, and I found the palm-reader at their station. Pulled, yanked, twisted, and SMASH!


On my third one, I could hear someone on the intercom calling for security, but I couldn’t stop. I’m sick of these damn things. Always changing. Always becoming more and more invasive.


“What ever happened to good, old cash?!”


Pull, yank, twist, and SMASH!


“I was fine when they switched to cards. Okay, sure! More security! FINE!”


Pull, yank, twist, SMASH!


I could hear people in the store gasping, and the intercom echoing, calling for more security again. People were fleeing away from anywhere near me, as if I was going to hurt them.


These people really don’t get it. We can’t give into these things! I thought.


“Then, they wanted us to put our cards on our damn phones!


Pull, yank, twist, SMASH!


“Now, they want us to use our bodies! Our own bare hands! Well, I say, ‘Fuuuuuuuck tha—!”


And, that is when I met Jim. The wonderful and very large Better Foods security guard who works every Tuesday through Saturday afternoon. He ran at me with such force that when he tackled me, we both went sliding eight feet down the checkout aisle directly into an endcap of canned soda pop.


So, you can imagine, we made quite a mess.


Which brings me to my point: this whole thing was actually not that big of a deal. The soda pop cans that cracked open and spewed out all over the place certainly made it seem worse. It’s not like I was out there waving a gun around at everyone – people actually do that! Nobody got hurt. Jim’s fine; all the customers are fine; the cashier is fine.


And I did pay for my hot bar lunch, did I mention that? With my card, which I inserted into their newish-old keypad. Yup, I did that before any of this drama even started. So, it’s not like I stole anything either. Isn’t that what’s really important here?


I mean, sure, I broke a few of their “palm-scanner” devices that apparently cost them a pretty penny to acquire and install. But it’s only because I was trying to stop them from going too far. That’s really what it comes down to. The banks, the technology companies, the government— whoever you want to blame, it doesn’t matter to me. It only matters to me that you get it: they’ve gone too far. You get that, don’t you? I had to do something.


So, you see, I’m not a bad person. And it wasn’t a big deal, because Jim decided they didn’t need to bring in the real po-po or some silly psychiatrist – probably because they realized they would have totally understood my side of the story. Instead, they let me go, with the promise that I would not come back to another Better Foods store again; that was the deal I made with them once we determined there was no way I could (or would) pay to replace their palm-scanners.


However, I’m assuming they meant after I get my free hot bar meal. You see, the day that I “violently destroyed their property” was actually my 10th hot bar meal, and if you read the back of the punch card, it says, “Free Meal Guaranteed!” I figure, since the meal is free, what could really go wrong?

September 16, 2022 05:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

21 comments

Amanda Lieser
03:16 Sep 25, 2022

Hey Anne Marie! This one made me smile! I love how it felt like talking to a gal pal. I imagine myself at a coffee shop after picking them up from the county jail saying, “Wait, what happened??” I also really just ADORED that last paragraph. That poor cashier, I hope they received a free hot bar meal, too. :)

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
15:19 Sep 26, 2022

Hi Amanda! Thank you! I'm really glad it came across as a story being told between people. I wanted to have thar casual feel. I struggled to write that last paragraph so I'm happy it was enjoyable. Thank you for reading and commenting! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
06:28 Sep 21, 2022

'...what could really go wrong!' great ending and great story!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:28 Sep 21, 2022

Thank you for reading and commenting, Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
15:14 Sep 20, 2022

Nice "burry the gun" technique on the punch card. I liked: -avoid Friday discussion. - the visual of the pop cans, post tackle - pull/yank twist smash repition. (Possible lyrics for a song?) The male MC reveal only paused me for a millisec... It gave the appearance of a man in ape mode as he pulled twist smash over and over. This is probably a very important story that we will all forget once they take genital implants.

Reply

Kate Winchester
17:34 Sep 20, 2022

This was funny! I saw your comments about how the palm pay is real and that’s crazy. I saw on the news once about another country (Sweden maybe?) chipping people. It was voluntary and once you had a chip you could unlock doors, pay for things, etc. I love how the MC is crazy to some extent but yet we can understand his point. The end was great too with the free meal!

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:17 Sep 20, 2022

Hi Kate! It is crazy! I say, no thank you to the chips, please! Thank you for reading and commenting on my story. I'm glad you found it funny and enjoyable. I appreciate your feedback!

Reply

Kate Winchester
21:21 Sep 20, 2022

Lol I know right. You’re welcome ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
20:21 Sep 20, 2022

Hi Tommy, I appreciate you picking out some points that you enjoyed. It's good to know what worked. I pictured the MC in methodical "ape mode," as you say, - going off the deep end but with calculated intent. Creating a rhythm to his animalistic rampage. Thanks for your kind words and feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Michał Przywara
20:57 Sep 19, 2022

Heh, the opening to this is fantastic :) There's so many ways "I’m really not a bad person" can go, and it immediately gives us a sense of character. The narrator has a good voice, projecting a very reasonable, calm demeanor, which sets up his rampage well. It's also nicely at odds with lines like "there was no way I could (or would) pay" and the closing line, where he'll go back even though he agreed not to. So he admits he did this, but refuses to admit it was wrong, and refuses to really be punished for it. It's a kind of superior attit...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
04:03 Sep 20, 2022

Thank you for your thorough feedback. I appreciate you reading and taking the time to comment. It seems like you really understood my MC, so I am glad his personality came through! And the palm readers are here! This story is inspired by an experience I had at my grocery store, though I did not smash them to pieces, lol!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
06:47 Sep 18, 2022

Quite funny, Anne Marie, which is due to the fact that we're probably only a few years away from actually having palm-scanners. Funny, and a little sobering when you think about it like that. Really loved the voice of the character here. This is definitely a guy that I'd get a beer with (as long as he didn't pull/yank/twist/smash any of them). The tone was light, casual, and the read was easy and fun. I enjoyed myself here. Great opening line, too. "I'm really not a bad person" is like the literary equivalent of "No offense, but..." - you j...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
17:45 Sep 18, 2022

Hi Zack, thanks for your thorough feedback! I really appreciate all of it. Palm-scanners are here! This story is based off an experience I had at a grocery store recently. I did not smash the scanners, but I did ask if people were really into this! HA! The character is loosely based on how I imagine my dad would react, though he also probably would not smash the scanners (though, he might consider it...). I'll take your critique into consideration. I would agree my weakness is offering too little background. In the past, I have over-expla...

Reply

Zack Powell
22:25 Sep 18, 2022

Well, I'll be darned! Palm-scanners ARE a real thing! The future is here. Thanks for teaching me something new today. Yeah, the character background vs. over-explaining thing is such a tricky, delicate balance. I think you're close to the right mix here - just a paragraph or two might do it. You've got all the groundwork laid out already. When/if the time comes for a second draft of this, I know you're gonna nail it.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
14:08 Sep 19, 2022

Thanks again for the feedback and encouragement! I'll consider it as I wrote this week's response. Hope writing goes smoothly for you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
15:25 Sep 20, 2022

Pardon to analyze the question of pace/back story/next level. The story is currently balanced. Very balanced. But.... I would agree that if you had a few wild hairs in the plot it would come off a little less formulaic. It's really well balanced right now. Almost too perfectly clean. I'm really sorry to say this since I don't see a particular option on what I call wild hairs. Zack says backstory... If you told me 10 great jokes and I laughed could you make one of those jokes important? Your next level would be to maybe show how the Pal...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
20:29 Sep 20, 2022

Hi again - thanks for chiming in here! So it sounds like, you'd both appreciate a little more to the story. Make it less cookie-cutter? I do struggle with the "wild hairs," as you call them, Tommy, as well as with either over-explaining or under-explaining things. I suppose this is a growth point for me as a writer, and something I will consider in the future. I struggled with last week's prompts; I started 4 or 5 stories to different prompts and couldn't find where they were going. This story spewed out of me in a matter of minutes, quite...

Reply

Tommy Goround
22:05 Sep 20, 2022

Plan/organic and edits...I do both. The Hallmark of a story idea is probably something you desire to edit over and over again. Like Sorrentino says, "if the text resists me I put it down." The story is good. Solid. The theme is huge...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
22:59 Sep 20, 2022

I love that Sorrentino quote! Thanks for sharing with me :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
04:11 Sep 21, 2022

Oh, I'm definitely a pantser. I've got a Word document filled with one-line story concepts that I usually use for the prompts here (ex: "Prank gone wrong" or "Boy's family is replaced by aliens"), but aside from those general ideas, I rarely know how any of those stories will end, so I just write to get there. If I DO have an idea of how I want a story to end, I'll start writing the ending first and work backwards to get to the beginning. On the few occasions that I do outline, it's very limited (ex: the only thing I outlined for the "10 Wa...

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:30 Sep 21, 2022

This sounds a lot like my process too. I often surprise myself and that is just so much fun. Thanks for sharing with me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.