Life is what happens when things go awry

Submitted into Contest #184 in response to: Set your story during a complete city or nation-wide blackout.... view prompt

34 comments

Happy Friendship Fiction

I smiled, but inwardly, I was seething.


“Is there any chance you could put those phones away while we share our first dinner together since Covid?” I asked my two adult daughters and son-in-law. “Surely this is more important than whoever’s on the other side of that screen.”


“Sure mom,” replied Brynn. “Was just checking the pet camera to see where Misha is. She’s curled up on the couch as usual…”


As if I cared where the darn cat was!


I tried not to glare at Valerie as she clicked off her iPhone. “I just sent Alex’s mom and dad a photo of this delicious spread before we demolish it.” 


She turned to Alex and said gently, “Honey, doesn’t your boss know we’re having dinner with mom and dad tonight for the first time in 3 years? Surely he can give you a couple of hours' break? Please put the phone away.”


“Of course,” Alex apologized. “Consider it done! Sorry Mrs. B. Randall lives on his phone and…”


“Well, someone needs to remind Randall that the rest of us don’t, especially at dinnertime,” I replied, feeling more irritated by the second. “Now let’s eat!”


And that’s when all the lights went out. Good thing no one could see my face.


“Oh great, “ sighed my hubby, Kevin. “Looks like another blackout. Having so many of them lately. Wonder if it’s just in our neighborhood or…?”


“I’ll check my phone, dad,” said Brynn, trying to remember where she put it on the kitchen counter somewhere behind her.


“Mine’s in my back pocket, Brynn,” said Alex. “I’ll check it.” Silently, I was thankful for their cell phones. Would this blackout finish before dinner got cold?


“Well, in the meantime, let me grab a flashlight from the drawer,” said hubby, feeling his way over to the kitchen hutch. “And we need to find some candles.”


“There are plenty in the dining room,” I said, “if I can feel my way there.” 


I let out another sigh of anguish. “Oh, Corky! Get out of the way. Darn dog. Always getting under my feet!”


“Here, let me do it, mom before you trip over something besides Corky…poor little thing. He doesn’t know what’s going on,” offered Val, stumbling over the footstool I’d left near the kitchen counter. “Crap!” She swore, rubbing her shin. 


In the meantime, all I could think of was how dinner was cooling off and how "hangry" I was.


“Alex! Have you found out anything yet? Are they indicating what’s happened and how long it’ll last? Dinner’s getting cold.” 


I scowled. I’d worked so hard all day preparing this scrumptious feast for our reunion dinner and now no one could even see it to eat it. “Val? Find those candles yet?”


Alex started to speak but before he could say anything, an agitated Val yelled:


“Dad…I need that flashlight!”


“Give an old man a break,” Kevin groaned. “I can’t see a darn thing. On top of that, my hearing aid batteries just quit!” 


Frustrated, I was about to say “What’s your hearing aid got to do with finding the flashlight?” when Brynn, ever tactless, stated the other suggestion I’d made to Kevin some months back:


“Well, dad, if you’d just get with it and buy a newer re-chargeable hearing aid, you wouldn’t have that ongoing problem.”


Again, Alex tried to say something but, as usual, I rudely interrupted.


“That’s exactly what I keep telling him. Such a techno-dinosaur…not that rechargeables are much good when we don’t have power! Say, Alex, have you found out what the problem is yet? How long are we going to be sitting in the dark?”


“Thought you’d never ask,” laughed the always calm and good-natured Alex. “According to Hamilton Hydro, we could be down for at least 4 hours, maybe more!”


We all groaned. Dinner was turning into a fiasco; I was unfairly on edge, and then a horrible thought entered my addled brain:


“Oh no!” The sump pump!” I screamed. “We’ve had so much rain and…”


I didn’t need to finish the sentence. Guided by that one flashlight, and 3 cell phone lights, all five of us carefully felt our way down the dark stairs into a pitch-black basement with only memory guiding us toward the sump pump. Every one of us except Kevin could hear the steady trickle of water filling the bowl. The pump itself was ominously silent. 


“We’re going to have to start bailing,” said Kevin, “…if we can find some old buckets I keep in the store-room.”


Bob, Val and Brynn, and I were on it immediately, dipping buckets into the sump pump basin that was filling faster than we could empty them into the laundry room drain. Meanwhile, dear old Kevin, my Mr. Fixit, was thinking of a way to get that pump working without electricity. 


“If I can somehow hook up the pump to my car battery…that’s it! I can connect my inverter to the car battery and plug the pump into the inverter and hey presto! We should have a working sump pump, at least temporarily…”


The family bucket brigade paused only long enough for Brynn to remind Kevin that,


“If you and mom had followed my advice ages back to buy a generator, we’d have lights, and power, and wouldn’t be bailing our butts off now…”


“Oh shut up Brynn,” snapped Val, putting her sister in place. “Let dad do what he thinks might work before you pooh-pooh his idea. We haven’t dubbed him Mr. Fixit for nothing!”


“That’s true,” apologized Brynn. “Sorry, Dad. Let me help you see your way back upstairs and into the garage, and we’ll get this set up.”


“God…let’s hope this works,” I sighed, feeling my back beginning to ache from lifting and draining the water-heavy buckets. Val had managed to light several candles to help us find our way back and forth to the laundry room. It was hard work for a grumpy oldie like me. Thank heaven we had fast and hard-working Alex to help us out: he was emptying 3 buckets to my one every 5 minutes.


Ten minutes later, Kevin and Brynn had the car battery, inverter, and sump pump connected. I think we all held our breaths for the second it took to hit the switch on the sump pump and, for one moment, there was no sweeter sound than that pump clicking on and draining that basin.


“YAY!” We three women yelled in unison.


“Good thinking, Mr. B!” said Alex, straightening and arching himself backward. “


“That’s my Mr. Fixit,” I smiled as our candlelights burned lower by the second. Trying to keep up the good feeling with a touch of my often questionable humor, I said,


“Well, let’s just hope dad’s car battery has more life in it than his hearing-aid batteries!”


I suspect it’s a good thing several candles sputtered and died at that moment. I’m sure otherwise the looks on everyone else’s faces would have killed me.


Then of course, as so often happens at dramatic family times like this, suddenly all the lights came on.


“Thank heaven for that” sighed Kevin, no doubt glad he didn’t have to respond to my question about his car battery.


“Can I have an Amen?” Whooped Brynn.


“You can have as many as you want,” I said as Val and Alex high-fived each of us.


Then something else hit me: my stomach growled loudly. I was starving! Weren’t we all? 



“Oh no…dinner!”


We all raced upstairs, grabbed the serving pots from the table, and began reheating everything in the microwave or on the stove.


I groaned a little inside thinking how much I hated reheated food, but somehow, that no longer mattered. What mattered was how our little family had come together when we needed each other.


Now that was worth celebrating.

February 09, 2023 22:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

34 comments

Molly Kelash
21:31 Feb 11, 2023

Well done! An uplifting way to welcome the "end" of the pandemic with family togetherness, even if it took a bit for the family to overcome some bad habits. :)

Reply

Viga Boland
21:59 Feb 11, 2023

Well, as my daughter said when she read this, I’m sure most families can relate to the “Bickersons” as my hubby calls us. Thanks for reading and commenting Molly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
22:55 Mar 14, 2023

Hi Viga, I have promised myself one story a day of yours and am starting at the beginning. You have such a lovely writing style, your dialogue is on point. Your story is a fantastic slice of life, so instantly relevant and relatable. Smart phones, the bane and blessing of our life, haha

Reply

Viga Boland
23:33 Mar 14, 2023

Wow Michelle. You honour me in a way I am unused to i.e. promised yourself you’d read one of my stories a day? Do you know how flattered I am? Thanks ever so much. It behooves me to do the same for you so I’ll begin right now. I have only a week’s worth of stories. You have close on two weeks but please be patient with me. You might know I’m a paid book reviewer and currently I have 2 books with a one week deadline and a third book due in a fortnight. But I’ll do my best 😉✌️👌

Reply

Michelle Oliver
00:21 Mar 15, 2023

Please don’t feel obligated to read any of my stories, you have already read and commented on so many of them. Having said that I’m happy for you to read them and give me the benefit of your wisdom and experience.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
00:25 Mar 15, 2023

Hi again, just after I posted that comment above, I received a phone call that will put a crimp in my plans to read anything over next few days. My brother-in-law in Australia has unexpectedly passed away. Needless to say, I need to be focussed on my 81-year-old husband and the rest of the family right now. So forgive me if I’m AWOL for next little while. I promise to catch up once emotions from this devastating news have calmed down.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
01:21 Mar 15, 2023

I am so sorry to hear that. Please accept my sincere condolences.

Reply

Viga Boland
01:37 Mar 15, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Lucy Naylor
06:15 Feb 16, 2023

Hi Viga! Love your use of dalogue! This makes your writing so easy to follow and understand, and interesting. Love your spacing of short paragraphs, which makes it so easy to read. Huge blocks of words are such a challenge to read. A suggestion that helps to make it even easier to read is to use 2 spaces, instead of 1, between sentences. Just tried to read a story with zero spaces between sentences. So difficult. Well done, Viga! Keep writing! Auto correct keeps correcting me incorrectly, so going to stop, lol!

Reply

Viga Boland
15:59 Feb 16, 2023

Hi Lucy! How nice of you to come here, login, read and comment. I really appreciate that support, along with your positive reaction to my story and style. I hear you on the double spacing after a period…as we were taught to do way back when. But I now use the Grammarly site to proofread etc., and according to one of my book review editors, double-spacing after a period is no longer necessary. Well maybe not for Grammarly and current standards of writing, but I agree, it certainly would help readers enjoying online reading. I’d love to se...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sandy Richards
15:17 Feb 14, 2023

Nice story, Viga. Almost everyone can identify with the fact that smartphones have taken away a lot of personal interactions. I love the dialogue that kept the story moving toward a happy ending. I recognized myself in the story...wanting everything to be perfect, which it ended up being anyway! Keep writing, my friend!

Reply

Viga Boland
18:14 Feb 14, 2023

Hi Sandy! How nice of you to take time out to read my re-entry into the writing community and post a comment here. Color me grateful. Appreciate the comment on my writing style re use of dialogue. I know so many writers avoid it or are uncomfortable with it but I believe it’s the best way for characters to come alive on the page and in our minds, nit to mention how it keeps the story moving quickly. Well I’ve just written another one from the current prompt re hoarding. Hope you’ll come back and will enjoy that one too. Are you a member of R...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Barbara Raue
13:47 Feb 13, 2023

Sweet little story. COVID sure changed things for us - much more insular. And then there are the cell phones that attract attention of the younger generation. Keep writing.

Reply

Viga Boland
14:14 Feb 13, 2023

Hi Barbara. Thanks for coming over here to leave a comment. Very much appreciated. Seems a lifetime ago we all met in person to discuss our writing and aspirations. Sure took me too long to get back into sharing my words and thoughts. Hope you and Harry are both well. Hugs.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Farr
15:23 Feb 12, 2023

What a fun little saunter into a family reunion! 'Hangry' is a real thing! I loved your use of witty dialogue to bring an awkward situation full circle. Way-to-go, prompting!

Reply

Viga Boland
18:24 Feb 12, 2023

Hey Sarah! How nice of you to actually login to leave your comments on this thread. That’s awesome. As for the “use of witty dialogue” observation, well now that really makes an old gal feel good. Guess being known as a chatterbox all my life is good for something 😂 Now that you have discovered Reedsy Prompts, I hope you’ll be back and start submitting on here too. It’s a nice place with so many supportive and talented writers. Join me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nona Yobis
04:49 Feb 12, 2023

What a sweet and funny story! I could really place myself within this, it was so relatable! It also had a very nice flow with the dialogue. Great submission!

Reply

Viga Boland
14:46 Feb 12, 2023

Thanks for your wonderful reply. I’m delighted you could relate. And thanks for following me too. Lovely to meet you here. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anita Joldersma
01:17 Feb 12, 2023

It was nice to hear the beginnings of this at the meeting on Wednesday. Well done.

Reply

Viga Boland
03:26 Feb 12, 2023

Thanks Anita! Surprised to see you were able to add a comment here. Did you sign up so you could login to read it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Viga Boland
03:30 Feb 12, 2023

Just checked your profile. I guess you did join. Hope to see submissions from you too in the future. Very supportive community here. I’m really enjoying it. Feel like I’m back doing what I did before Covid stopped us all from getting together, sharing stories, helping other writers etc. If we can’t do it in person, this works nicely. Welcome aboard!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Jeanne Kiesinger
23:17 Feb 11, 2023

Yep- agreed. Stop the cell phone madness, everyone. Put them down and look at the people around you. Good read!

Reply

Viga Boland
23:44 Feb 11, 2023

Thanks Jeanne. Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
23:14 Feb 11, 2023

Viga, The story has a great message about the family coming together when they needed to at the right moment. It only happened after a blackout, a dead hearing aid, a whacked dog, a malfunctioned sump pump, burned-out candles, and cold food that needs to be reheated to recognize the worth of family! Thanks for the good read. LF6

Reply

Viga Boland
23:46 Feb 11, 2023

Really appreciate your feedback on this Lily. Starting to feel I did the tight thing in finally finding the guts to submit. 😂

Reply

Lily Finch
00:27 Feb 12, 2023

Never worry about that; just do it! LF6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:54 Feb 11, 2023

Very nice. We all need to think about focusing on each other instead of our devices! (we don't have a smartphone). I sympathize with the sump pump situation - we are on total sand, so never had one, but B's sister lives in a swamp and lost so many things due to flooding! This is probably just me, but I thought they were in a restaurant at firest, don't know why. Otherwise I loved how the family respected each other and worked so well together.

Reply

Viga Boland
23:02 Feb 11, 2023

Thanks for your feedback and for taking time to read my first submission Patricia. You inspired me to submit way back when I first joined. Now I hope this won’t be my first and last effort LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
21:23 Feb 11, 2023

Ah, the pleasures of home-ownership! How well I remember (now living a condo life)! This was very real, Viga, and a pleasure to read. The opening hooked me and I enjoyed taking the journey to see how it would all turn out. Along the way, there were so many relatable exchanges and moments. I'm happy you've joined us and hope you enjoy spreading your literary wings as much as we in this crazy community of talent in a testing ground. (And do keep your eye on Wendy, below; she's a powerhouse. :)

Reply

Viga Boland
21:57 Feb 11, 2023

Thanks so much Susan for taking the time to read my story and comment. I haven’t dabbled in creative writing for 7 years. I’m way overdue. Happy to be on board with so many talented writers along with me on this last leg of my life’s journey. Turning 77 on Monday. Can’t help thinking 77 and closer to heaven LOL

Reply

Susan Catucci
22:16 Feb 11, 2023

Well, now, this group is a different sort of heaven, but still heaven, just the same.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
17:08 Feb 11, 2023

Viga, I was so pleased to read this story! The tension in Mom that already existed, wanting everything to go so perfectly... which morphed in the end (after everything went so imperfectly!) to simple gratitude that they were together at all. Beautiful sentiment, and it only took a blackout, a dead hearing aid, a goofy dog, a broken sump pump, burned out candles, and cold food to recognize it! (haha :) I got a particular kick out of mom's enmity for the phones initially, with an almost immediate relief they even had them. What a ride for her,...

Reply

Viga Boland
17:22 Feb 11, 2023

Thanks so very much Wendy. I’ve been on tenterhooks the last few days wondering if I should submit. My seven-year writer’s block was one miserable itch I had to scratch LOL. You just made my day a whole lot better. No wonder you have so many followers. We all need support like yours…along with your wonderful stories!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:36 Feb 11, 2023

Thank you, and I'm very glad you did - it was a heart-warming message worth sharing, and a humorous ride on the way there. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.