Contest #182 winner 🏆

Careful—You’ll Slip, Fall, and Die on Those Slippery Slopes

Submitted into Contest #182 in response to: Write a story where someone’s paranoia is justified.... view prompt

187 comments

Funny Creative Nonfiction

This story contains sensitive content

cw: references to sexual assault, kidnapping, and murder


The first time I crossed a street by myself—as in, without one or both of my parents present—I was seventeen. 


My parents warned me that the outside world was dangerous, and that, if something were to happen to me, I wouldn't know what to do. According to my parents, kidnappers, murderers, and kidnapper-murderers lurked on every corner of our small, suburban town where, statistically, my chances of becoming the victim of a violent crime were less than my chances of being allowed to cross the street by myself, or, more importantly, being allowed to sleep over at Taylor's house. 


“What if something bad happens?” my dad argued when I asked why I couldn't spend the night.


My mom agreed with him. “She lives too far away.” 


Defeated, I looked out the window at Taylor's house across the street. I imagined what it’d be like to paint your best friend’s toenails Mystic Purple at midnight while telling her your deepest darkest secret.


This, I'd confess between coats of paint, is my first time over at a friend's house.


***


I stopped receiving birthday party invitations after around the fourth grade. I blamed it on the fact that I didn’t understand basic social dynamics but more on the fact that I became known as the girl who would bring her dad to your birthday party.


The few parties I did attend, my dad stood next to me at all times, arms crossed, warning me of all the ways you could accidentally die or hurt yourself at a kid's birthday party.


  1. There was the cake you could choke on.
  2. There were the patio steps you could fall on and crack your head on. 


One year, at my friend David’s birthday party, when everyone ran upstairs to see my friend’s Pokémon Ball, I followed, ecstatic, but something stopped me. I didn't know what it was until I turned around and found my dad pulling me back, as if stopping me from walking off a cliff.


“Stay here,” he warned, and we sat on David's family's ugly floral couch, listening to my friends upstairs opening and closing the plastic Pokémon Ball. I pleaded with my dad to let me join them.


“Do you know what a child molester is?” he asked me.


As I heard David’s faint voice upstairs explaining to everyone the mechanisms of his toy, my dad explained to me that there are sick people in the world. Very sick people who like to put their hands in your pants and then cut up your body parts into tiny little pieces that fit in a garbage can. 


There could be one hiding upstairs, he told me. A creepy uncle or something.


I imagined my friends being chopped up into bite-sized pieces that could fit and be hidden inside David's Pokémon Ball. I wondered if we should rescue them, bring them down to the safety of the ugly floral couch. But just as fast as I'd had the thought, everyone came down, all in one piece, completely intact and untouched.


From there, I was permitted to take approximately five stiff and awkward supervised jumps in the jolly jumper outside before my dad said it was time to go.


***


By the time I reached my preteens, I’d finally negotiated myself the privilege of a play date. I’d never been on a play date before—that is, one that didn’t take place in my own home under my parent’s supervision. 


At the time, my parents' stipulations were that:


  1. I could only go to Taylor's house across the street.     
  2. I had to bring a Walkie-Talkie with me in case I needed help.
  3.  I had to be escorted across the street to her house. No walking there or back alone. I could get run over and die. 
  4.  I had to stay inside the house at all times. No playing in the front or the backyard. 
  5.  And most importantly, no sleeping over. 


The day of my first play date, my mom coached me on how to behave as she took me across the street. Say please. Say thank you. And tell them you’re not allowed to go outside. 


I promised.


Then, just like that, my mom left me at the door, a momentary illusion of freedom. Behind me, she was still standing across the street, monitoring my every move as I reached to ring the doorbell.


Taylor's mom answered. “Hello, Mrs. Jones,” I said to her. “I thank you for having me over at your home. I will not be allowed to go outside. I have to stay inside at all times.”


She let out a wtf laugh. “Um. Okay. Come in.” 


I stepped inside. I still remember the feeling of the plush carpet under my shoes.


That day, for what was maybe only one or two hours, Taylor and I played Barbie’s Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue on her PS2. I still remember the feeling of the plastic buttons under my fingers, helping Barbie locate her missing horses--horses who'd gone missing the same way my parents claimed I'd go missing if I ever left their sight. Before this, I’d never been on my own before—aside from when I was at school or running through the sprinklers (supervised through the window) in our fenced-in backyard. Up until that point in my life, playing Barbie's Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue an entire twenty feet away from my home was the most exhilarating experience I'd ever had. We could've stared at her living room wall, and it still would've been just as exhilarating to me.


But eventually I wanted more. Play dates across the street weren't enough. I was almost in high school, and I wanted a sleepover. 


I negotiated with my parents, though my first several attempts failed. I made PowerPoints. I used the Ethos-Pathos-Logos thing I learned about in Language Arts. None of it worked.


Then, one day, I got a yes.


I didn't know how or why. All that mattered was I got a yes.


***


I thought about that sleepover every second of every day in the week leading up to it. I packed my cat pajamas in my pink suitcase a week in advance.


Then, the night of the sleepover, things got even better for me. My dad had good news.


"What's the good news?" I asked, pink suitcase in hand.


"We're going to the movies tonight. We're going to see Chicken Little."


In my house, going to the movies was like dining out--a rarity reserved only for the most special of occasions.


"So," my dad said, "you need to call your friend and tell her maybe another time."


I was upset, but the thought of going to the movies on an otherwise unofficial holiday kept me from screaming.


"Okay," I said. I called Taylor. "Sorry. I'm going to the movies tonight. Another time."


Then I hung up, and as I went to put my suitcase away, my dad had more news. “We’re not actually going to the movies," he told me.


"Then where are we going?" I asked.


"Nowhere."


***

I remember staring at a BBQ sauce bottle on the kitchen table that night as my parents listed the reasons I couldn't sleep over at Taylor's.


1. You might play Truth or Dare and your friend will dare you to jump in her pool and, knowing you, you'll do it, drown, and die.

2. Her parents will forget to lock the door. How do we know if her parents are the type of people who lock their doors at night?

3. If the doors are unlocked, someone will come inside at night when you're sleeping and take you. We'll never see you again.

4. If something bad were to happen to you, you wouldn't know how to handle it.


Screaming and crying, refusing to eat my now cold plate of dinner, I demanded more reasons, but my mom stopped my dad from going on. "We already gave her our reasons," she told him. "She should understand by now why it's a bad idea."


***

Things improved over the years, and eventually I gained more freedom. By the time I was seventeen, I had:


-crossed the street

-been on a play date

-attended a slumber party

-signed up for Neopets (on the condition that I put my gender as male)

-gone to a public place other than school without supervision


Then, at seventeen, I applied to college. I was on the phone with my friend Bridget one night when my dad demanded I hang up and come to the kitchen.


I hung up and came out, sat at the same table we'd sat at when they listed their anti-slumber-party reasons.


"We need to talk about college," said my dad, angry, my mom sitting at the table, upset. "Why are you applying to far-away colleges? What if something bad happens to you? What if you have an accident or an emergency? What are you going to do if we're not there to help you?"


"Maybe you can go to the local community college, and your mom can drive you there," he added. I hadn't been allowed to drive alone yet. I had my license, but I wasn't allowed to use it.


After more negotiations, we settled on a school--not too far away but also not too close to home. I was even allowed to live on campus.


But my first year of college, something strange happened--my parents' paranoid voice chattered in my head most days, reminding me that I didn't know how to do anything on my own.


"Do you know how to use an ATM?" I asked my roommate one day. "Or how to get to a class? I don't know how. I actually don't know how."



January 28, 2023 04:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

187 comments

Amira Brown
05:35 May 08, 2023

I felt very immersed in this story. I really enjoyed it. There were so many moments of frustration due to her parents wild overprotectiveness. It's sad how when she finally left home for college she couldn't even use an ATM. I hated how dependent she turned out to be due to her parents sheltering her from the real world, but this story is a accurate portrayal about kids who've had to deal with crazy strict parents.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Minahil Khan
12:58 Apr 24, 2023

Nike

Reply

Show 0 replies
Olivia Callihan
15:23 Apr 05, 2023

I love this! Amazing writing I can tell it was hard to write this because this kind of childhood trauma. But the amazing courage of writing this! Keep up the good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:32 Apr 03, 2023

Its really good, I only have one submission, and I'm still very new to writing, its sad, I agree, buts its a very good story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Joe B
05:18 Apr 01, 2023

I enjoyed the way you comically drew it out ad absurdum. Some kids, as you may know, are actually raised like that--by parents too fragile to love them. The result, you may also know, is an undeveloped brain. They can't, as you noted in the closing, use an ATM or find their way to a class or think clearly.

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:20 Mar 15, 2023

Great story and sadly, relatable. While a parent's intentions may be to keep us safe, it can be debilitating and smothering. I'd love to read more of this if you ever keep going. As you were able to get this story out, I'll assume you were able to escape. May you soar in the sweet taste of adult freedom. Thank you for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yeisha Lee
21:59 Feb 28, 2023

UGH this broke my heart. I definitely can relate. I left my home when I was 25 and only because I ran away to marry my now husband of 10 years, the first man I had ever been with. I honestly knew nothing, and it took me getting married to realize I was not mature.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ted Collier
20:22 Feb 26, 2023

I lived something (much less severe) like this. It's sad when you have nothing of your own, and that you can't get there. I'm still having problems with interacting in normal conversations. This was a hard read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
KS2 Pupil
13:40 Feb 24, 2023

HiSHITY PANTS

Reply

Show 0 replies
KS2 Pupil
13:39 Feb 24, 2023

This is SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT#SHITTTT

Reply

Show 0 replies
Owyn Beattie
20:02 Feb 16, 2023

Who tells a child what a child molester is!!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alycia Johnson
17:08 Feb 10, 2023

Awesome story! Many ppl can relate to this☹️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alycia Johnson
17:08 Feb 10, 2023

Awesome story! Many ppl can relate to this☹️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lunny Muffin
05:22 Feb 08, 2023

Great story, I feel bad that somehow as a parent I understand this. And how we can forget to let our children live because of the fears we hold. Wonderful story!!

Reply

Liv Chocolate
04:54 Feb 16, 2023

Thank you, Lunny Muffin! I'm only a cat mom so far but I do worry about the little guy. He's a free spirit w endless energy and I've given up on trying to contain him

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kasity Chamema
21:13 Feb 07, 2023

I LOVE it

Reply

Show 0 replies
BRUCE MARTIN
02:03 Feb 04, 2023

Hi, Liv, Congratulations on the win. Really psychologically interesting story. From your other comments, I see that it was your lived experience as a child. Your parents were clearly neurotic and overbearing, but it's great that you overcame that horribly restrictive upbringing. On the other hand, you did remain safe and sound. Even though it was a weird childhood, there was a limited positive side to it. I was just thinking of the story and how a writer might expand it with a twist. How about if the kid's parents do not receive a t...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
07:21 Feb 07, 2023

Hey Bruce, thank you!! How've you been? It was definitely a weird upbringing which made me a sort of weird kid - or so I was called. I just want to blend in as much as possible.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ariana C
21:21 Feb 03, 2023

This is genuinely such a gripping story. You could for sure write and publish books.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
21:27 Feb 03, 2023

Thank you so much, Ariana! That really encourages me

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
20:19 Feb 03, 2023

Very well done and congrats. I will have to say it was practically the opposite in my family but that was another generation.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
22:17 Feb 03, 2023

Thank you, Corey! Sounds much better than the early 2000s

Reply

Corey Melin
23:49 Feb 03, 2023

Yes indeed. Go back to the 80’s.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
19:10 Feb 03, 2023

I think, as "younger" writers, it takes a lot of bravery to put into words what we've come to realize are flaws in our parents--those people we've only recently stopped calling to ask what to do when tax season rolls around. As creative nonfiction, this was hard to read, but I love the sort of reflective, good-natured, matter-of-fact, and almost detached voice in which you write. It pulls us in and keeps us reading. Also, I just have to say that you completely unlocked a memory in the "early 2000's vault" of my mind: I had that same Barbie h...

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:34 Feb 03, 2023

Thank you, Aeris! Did you happen to also have Barbie Detective: Mystery of the Carnival Caper (1998). That was another favorite. Playing computer games was definitely a form of escape for me. I had a Sabrina the Teenage Witch CD rom and I would just have her walk around the mall bc I always wanted to go to the mall w my friends. So much nostalgia writing this. Thank you for reading <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michele Duess
16:58 Feb 03, 2023

This is the opposite of my reality, for I was a latchkey kid and running errands for my parents as soon as I could ride a bike and count change. That being said this sounds like my worse nightmare. I was more careful with my kids. They started staying home by themselves at 12 or so. And I was paranoid when my youngest didn't come home right away. But this is a terrible situation. And I'm left hoping the main character does continue to break free from her parents. Congrats on the win.

Reply

Liv Chocolate
19:53 Feb 03, 2023

Thank you so much, Michele! I remember learning what a latchkey was in ninth grade and I thought, those exist?! They're so lucky!! I learned it fm reading a personal essay of growing up a latchkey kid. I thought, wow, this guy is lucky he has actual life experiences to write about but ironically being a sheltered kid is just as much as an experience. Definitely independent now with boundaries! There was a lot of catching up to do

Reply

Michele Duess
14:43 Feb 10, 2023

Yes being sheltered is just as much an experience and from it other people can learn. Glad you're independent now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.