0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Mystery

The hounds below kept making a racket, their barks and howls drifting up into the night air, following the men where the hounds themselves could not, up the sheer cliff face.

Tim regretted leaving the hounds behind, they were the first to alert the homestead of the intruder. At the very least he had wanted to stay behind with the hounds and their handler, but Master Roberts insisted all other able bodied men would accompany him in the chase.

Tim can't blame him though, he's as attached to the Masters children as the Master himself. Why would the intruder care to kidnap the children though? The twin boy and girl are nearly four months old now, but still, they could be confused for other children. 

Tim thinks back to how he came to be the only male caretaker of the children. It began with their mother running off, only a month after her wedding to Master Roberts. Tim was an usher in the wedding, and recalls how enamored the crowd was with Catherine. She was just gorgeous, her white dress shimmering in the sunlight. Tim knew then what it was to be jealous, he felt the pain of it as she said the words "I do" before the priest and cemented her marriage to Master Roberts. The two looked to be truly in love, so it came as a shock when Catherine ran away. When Master Roberts discovered her absence the following morning, he sent his best tracking men to bring her home.

Holding close to his latest handhold, Tim laughs as he makes note that none of the Masters trackers are among their current company, that none of them had ever even returned from their search. It's quite funny to think about the fact that Catherine returned of her own accord just three days after running away.

Tim was the one to find Catherine, shuffling unsteadily into the stables. Her clothes were torn, her face and body bruised where her flesh was visible. Time scooped her up in his thin arms, carrying her from the stable, calling for Master Roberts. The big man came quickly, his good nature always seeing to any cries for help, but as he caught sight of Catherine, he ran faster than ever, lifting her from Tims arms, dragging the young man from the ground as well.

Tim caught his balance before following Master Roberts into his suite. As the kind man laid Catherine on the bed, he called for the house doctor. During the physicians examination of the Mistress, Tim was called into the other room with Master Roberts.

"You did well today boy." The Master reached out, tousling Tim's grey-blonde hair. "I know the truth of our relations, but do you?"

Tim nods. "Yes Master, we have the same father."

Master Roberts nods. "Tim, if I could safely make that public, I would. Can you forgive me?" Tim merely nods. "Then Tim, would you agree to my calling you brother while in private?" Master Roberts smiles wide at the suggestion, causing Tim to nod and smile as well. "Then it's settled brother. From this day forward as well, I'm going to trust you to watch over Catherine. It is a task I feel I can only entrust to someone close to me, as my brother."

"I would be honored Master Roberts."

"Quit calling me Master. I've told everyone of the staff, I hate being called Master. In public, call me Phillip, like the rest of the staff, but here in private, call me brother. It shall be known between the two of us, and Catherine."

"Okay brother. I'll be sure to care for both of you, like brothers are meant to."

Phillip hugged the young Tim tightly. "From this day forward, we are going to be a proper family in this old estate."

The joy Tim felt as Phillips brother, and Catherine's attendant only became multiplied when Phillip and Catherine told him the news several months later

"I am to be an Uncle?"

Phillip places his hand upon Tims shoulder. "Yes brother. Catherine and I are expecting now." Phillip held her close, rubbing her already showing belly. "At the birth, I am going to reveal our brotherhood. You'll be given half the estate."

"Our brotherhood means more to me than the estate, even as the secret it is now."

"I know brother, but I want us to be seen as equals. Do you agree?"

Tim smiles once more. "Whatever you think is best brother."

Their smiles lasted through the remainder of Catherine's pregnancy, but as the miracle of the twins came into the world, a tragedy took Catherine from Phillip.

Tim grunts as he pulls himself up to the rock shelf where the other men are waiting with Master Roberts.

Master Roberts motions to Tim. "Come here Tim."

As Tim draws near, Master Roberts kneels down, studying the tracks in the patches of dirt. "These tacks are only minutes old. It must be hard to run while carrying two infant children." Master Roberts draws a large knife and a loaded flintlock pistol. "Brother, I want you to trail behind the rest of us, and use these only if you need to."

Tim takes the blade and pistol. "You haven't called me brother since Catherine's passing."

"You're kidding. In these past four months you and the children have been my sole comforts. If I haven't called you brother for a while, it's because we haven't had any time to ourselves."

"I'd assumed you'd grown weary of me."

Phillip shakes his head. "You should know better than that, but now is not the time. We should be upon the kidnapper once we crest that cropping. No matter what, please, brother, save the children." 

With that Phillip steps forth, the men following after him leaving Tim to follow them all.

Tim slides the pistol into his waist, but keeps the knife in hand, having always felt more comfortable with it's use.

The warm night air goes silent as Phillip passes over the rocky outcropping he'd pointed towards, disappearing on the other side, followed one by one by the men. As Tim steps to the top, just before the dropoff, he looks down, seeing a large man throwing his companions around a tight trail like cut in the mountain.

To one side Tim can see Phillip, bleeding from his head, but very much alive. The kidnapper heaves two of the stable hands against the stone wall as another worker draws a pistol. The kidnapper takes the shot to it's chest, ignoring it as he closes in on the shooter, grabbing hold of him before effortlessly throwing him over the high walls of the cut.

Tim shakes himself, remembering his niece and nephew. Looking around the cut he sees them, swaddled in light blankets, bound together, back to back. They look uncomfortable laying together on the ground, but are silent for some reason. Tim begins to fear the worst as he begins his descent into the cut, his feet sliding more than stepping as he does so.

The kidnapper is still dealing with the other men as Tim reaches and takes stock of the infants, only to find them completely well, not one hair out of place.

The area goes completely silent before Tim turns to find the kidnapper glaring at him.

"You'll want to step away from the children. I'm taking them with me."

Tim brandishes the knife, moonlight glinting off of the blade. The kidnapper flinches from the sight of the reflected light. "No, you won't be taking these children. I'll do everything in my power to protect my blood."

"Your blood you say? How are these children your blood?"

Tim's breath begins to come ragged. "I'm their Uncle. Phillip, their father, is my brother."

The kidnapper casts a quick glance at Phillip, but when he turns back his face looks exactly the same as Phillips, even down to the trickle of blood on his head. "These children belong to me now. They belong to my world."

Tim shivers. "You're a skinwalker."

"Don't be daft. I'm a shapeshifter you fool. Like I said, these children belong to my world."

"I won't let you harm them."

"Who said I would be harming them? If I'd wanted to harm them, I could have saved myself the trouble of carrying them all the way out here, and done the deed in their own room, and none of you would have ever been the wiser for it. No, I lay claim upon these children in the name of my own sister. She gave her life for that man," the Shapeshifter points to Phillip, "and these children."

Tim steps towards the Shapeshifter. "I don't know who your sister is, but I'll die before I let you take my niece and nephew."

From behind the Shapeshifter Phillip stirs, crying out, "Tim! Tim! Save the children! Please!" Phillip falls to his side, losing consciousness once more.

The Shapeshifter changes faces once more, now appearing as an older man, his skin worn by the weather. "Your name is Tim. My sister spoke of you, claiming you to be a great man amongst the people of the estate. I am not without compassion. I assume you already know you are no match for me in a fight?"

"Nevertheless, I would fight you for these children."

The Shapeshifter looks to the sky. "It is against my better judgment, but I will offer you a compromise. We both shall take one of the children."

"Why? As their Uncle, and with their Father right there I have full claim to take them both, not to mention that he has charged me with their safe recovery. Why should I take your offer?"

In an instant the Shapeshifter charges forward, slamming Tim against the rock wall, the force causing the pistol on Tim's back to discharge, the bullet firing through his leg, right through the bone.

"Well, my initial point was that you're ill equipped to stop me, but I believe now you have absolutely no choice." The Shapeshifter drops Tim, letting him writhe in agony as he reaches for the children.

Tim watches as the Shapeshifter sprouts claws from his hand and begins cutting the bonds that held the children together. When he finishes, he stands over Tim before placing the boy in his hands. "I want you to understand, I am allowing you to keep this child out of respect for the way my sister spoke of you. She was truly fond of you, but she was overcome with her feelings for that man." The Shapeshifter points at Phillip. "I believe this is the last time our niece will see you, so here." He bends down, holding the girl before Tim. "Give her a final kiss boy." 

Tim kisses his baby niece on her cheek several times. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry I'm not strong enough to save you." Tim goes silent for a moment as he cries. "I expect you want the same gesture with my nephew?"

"No, because whether anyone else knows it or not, I'll be seeing him, and even you in the future." The Shapeshifter begins walking away with the baby girl in his arms, taking only a few moments before his is completely out of Tims sight.

Tim lays there with his nephew in hand, crying at the loss of his niece. It's nearly an hour before Phillip and the other men begin to regain consciousness. Tim sobs as he explains a lie to Phillip about how he was only able to keep hold of the boy before the kidnapper ran away with the girl, leaving them all injured.

Phillip accepts Tim's cries of apology, calling him brother before all the men. The trip home is quick, even though Tim must be carried due to his leg. The sun is barely rising in the east as they enter the home and Phillip calls for the doctor to tend to Tim.

As Tim is holding his nephew, the doctor wraps his ruined leg, declaring he will never walk again. Phillip holds his brothers shoulder as the main doors open.

Stepping inside comes one of Phillips trackers, leading Catherine behind him.

"Master Roberts, it's taken almost a year, but I present your bride to you."

Tim looks down at the baby in his arms as Phillip approaches Catherine. He slightly unwraps the child's blankets, recalling how the Shapeshifter spoke of his sister. His sister was in love with Phillip. His sister spoke highly of Tim. His sister had given her life for the twins.

"My love, I don't understand."

"I needed time to come to terms with my inability to have children. I'm sorry my love."

Phillip runs his hand through his hair. "No, Catherine, you died in labor. You gave birth to twins."

Catherine places her hand on Phillips face. "Dear, I am unable to bear you any children. That's why I ran away, because I assumed you would want a wife who could."

Tim looks at his nephew's hands, inspecting the tiny fingernails. They're so small and delicate. The child yawns, and Tim catches sight of two sharp fangs hidden just behind the baby's gums, easy to miss if you're not suspicious.

Phillip turns to his brother. "Tim! Would you tell your sister in law how we have missed her for four months since she passed away!"

Tim looks up at Phillip and the real Catherine. "I'm sorry brother. I believe this explanation requires someone I don't know how to find."

January 21, 2023 04:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.