Dao Shi

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Set your story on (or in) a winding river.... view prompt

0 comments

East Asian Fantasy Drama

A man, his wife and his son and daughter walked to a reed boat at the edge of a winding river. The son and daughter, as per their mother and father's instruction, loaded flowers into the reed boat, while the father loaded a basket of steamed dumplings and grilled fish into the boat. The four of them pushed the boat out into the water so the current could send the boat downstream.

Dozens of other people on either side of the river loaded offerings in reed boats on the river's edge and sent the boats out into the water.

Red Lanterns hung from buildings, gates and other structures. Musicians played instruments in the background.

A priest spread out ceremonial incense on the river performing a chant.

"Daddy, why do we send flowers and food on a boat down the river every year?" Asked the little girl.

"Ah yes, this is your first Boat Offerings Ceremony where you're old enough to remember it, is it not?" Started the little girl's father. "It all started 50 years ago...."


It was a happy, sunny, peaceful day in the small kingdom of Wong. Well, relatively peaceful. The rulers of the small kingdom of Wong and the neighboring kingdom of Fung did not like one another. The two small kingdoms were originally one large kingdom, but the Chief had twin sons and died before he could choose which son would inherit the city state. The twin brothers argued and fought until they decided that they should split the small city state in half for each brother to lead on his own terms Wong on the west side of the River, and Fung on the east side of the Dragon's Blood river. There had been tensions between the two city-states since, and ever since, the Dragon's Blood river had been under normal volume and had slowly but surely dried out more and more every year.


3 years later:


It was a sunny, clear and fairly peaceful day in the forests outside Wong. Dao Li, the older son of the shaman of Wong, Dao Xu, helped his father forage for wild medicinal herbs. After his father had collected enough herbs, he let his son do whatever he wanted for the rest of the day, Dao Li went to the noodle shop to meet with his love interest, the beautiful maiden Shi Song.

Dao Li made it to the Noodle shop, and was happy to see Shi there, Shi hugged him when she saw him. "I'm glad you're here, Dao!"

"I missed you, Shi!"

Dao Li and Shi Song had a pleasant lunch of noodles together. After that, they walked through the town to the park by the riverside. The two lovers sat under a peach tree, watching the water flow through the city-state while holding hands.


It was then that a man rode through the town on horseback shouting "Hear ye, hear ye! Fung has declared WAR on Wong! All men aged 16-22 are hereby drafted by the king of Wong to fight the Invaders of Fung!" Declared the Man.


Dao Li froze, he was 17, going on 18, as was Shi Song. Shi Song wrapped her arms tightly around her beloved. "I understand, my love. Do what you have to do, but promise me you'll come back alive." Shi exclaimed.

"I will. Wait for me Shi. I promise you I will come back alive!" Dao Li replied.


Dao Li was drafted among other men and boys from Wong to fight in the war with Fung.


In a great battle, the Wong army defeated the Fung army, but Dao Li had been fatally injured and did not return alive. When Shi Song had learned that Dao Li was among the war casualties, she was devastated.


After the battle, Fung surrendered, and Wong forced Fung to sign a peace treaty agreeing that Wong and Fung would be merged into one big city state. Despite Peace returning to the land, the River continued to decline.


One day, Dao Xu made a declaration to the merged kingdoms Wong and Fung.

"I have beseeched the Gods on how to restore the River, and the Gods instructed me on how to restore the River: A Maiden must be sacrificed to the Gods. There are thousands of Maidens to choose only one from, however. So, who will be sacrificed to save the river.

There was an awkward silence, none of the Women and Girls were brave enough to give their lives to restore the River, until one maiden stepped forward.

"I'll do it." Shi Song declared.

The Crowd gasped.

There was a pause from Dao Xu, followed by "You are a brave, strong woman, Shi Song, I shall see to it that the Gods reward your soul handsomely!"

Dao Xu walked up to a cliff overseeing the River, he then laid her down on the ground, declared "Gods, I offer thee a Woman of Valor. I hope you accept her as fair tribute and reward her Spirit for her courage!" And slit Shi Song's throat with a Ceremonial Knife.

As the Blood which gave Shi life poured out of her neck, Dao Xu lifted Shi Song as she lay dying and threw her half dead body into the River.

A few moments passed, and the River was Rejuvenated to full height and width, as if by Magic.

The Citizens watch in shock and fascination as two massive Dragons emerged from out the River's Waters, their long, serpentine bodies intertwined with each other, grasping hands together in a tender embrace. The Dragons stopped in midair, touched faces together, and they dashed up together into the sky, becoming bright stars in the sky.

Dao Xu at that point had declared that from now on, the people should remember this date every year so that every year, so that they may offer food, flowers and other offerings to the Gods and the spirits of Dao Li and Shi Song to thank the Gods for their generosity and reward Dao Li and Shi Song for their courage.

The King of the newly-merged city state had since decreed that the kingdom be renamed 'Dao Shi' in reverence for their sacrifices.


"...And that is why we float boats full of offerings on the River here in Dao Shi!" Declared the little Girl's father.

"Oh, now I understand. Thank you for telling me that story. I loved it." Said the little girl.

"Now let's go get some Fried Dough!" Said the father.

"Yay! Yay! Fried Dough! Fried Dough!!" Cheered the son and daughter.

The family then walked to the fried Dough stand.

June 11, 2021 22:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.