The Bell, the Star and the Christmas Angel

Submitted into Contest #174 in response to: Write a story where someone says, “Everything is changing.”... view prompt

18 comments

Christmas Sad Inspirational

There’s no sign of snow, not even the scent that some might be on the way. Sitting in my bedroom’s window seat, I look down at all the last-minute shoppers, hurrying back home with their final gifts and forgotten food items. It’s so mild, an unseasonal 15 degrees, that some haven’t even bothered to sling on a coat, just dashed out to pick up the cranberry sauce in joggers and a t-shirt. 

This year I wasn’t hoping for snow anyway; I wasn’t expecting Christmas full stop. For all I care, it can stay in the store or up in the loft, spiders making homes in the tinsel. No Christmas cards have come, only ones of condolences; Santa replaced by an angel, weeping with head bowed. I’ve shut myself up here, away from the sight of them decking the halls with woe. I know I should help with the final Christmas preparations; Aunty Anne will arrive at any moment and there’s plenty I could do. But the truth is, I just can’t face seeing Mum’s red eyes and Dad’s face fixed to a permanent blank anymore. There’s no frost outside but it’s settled here, surely enough. My tongue is frozen. Whenever I speak, my words seem to cut like ice and everything I do at the moment seems to go wrong.

Aunty Anne’s tiny yellow Mini pulls up outside our house, an improbable flash of summer colour on this drab and dreary day. I can’t help but remember last year, when we’d sat scrunched up in the front, knees under our chin, with the Christmas tree sticking out of the open boot, the top branches jostling for room with our arms and elbows. The car had been full of the tree, the prickly needles tickling us to fits of laughter; passers-by had smiled, even calling out Merry Christmas as we drove by. Back home, we’d decorated the tree together, Granny dozing in the comfy chair with the blanket on her knees. She’d woken when we’d switched on the lights and I sang her favourite carol “Once in Royal David’s City” in the twinkling fairy lights. I knew I’d missed some of the notes, but she said it was like hearing an angel sing. 

I blink the memory away and wave to Aunty Anne smiling up at me. I watch her take out her large battered leather suitcase, realising that I’m not even slightly curious what is in there for me. Normally I’d be taking the steps two at a time, eager to find out; now I only force myself downstairs so no more memories can slip into my mind, reminding me of how much can change in a few short weeks.

Aunty Anne’s hug feels like my old warm blanket, the one I cuddle up in every night; she pulls me to her and I could just lose myself in her familiar smell- woodland pine and paint- and those enveloping arms. I wish she lived closer, could visit more often, so I could disappear into those understanding arms.

“How’s my Lizzie?” she asks with a smile that seems just a little frayed around the edges. 

“Oh, you know,” I mumble, as Mum comes into the lounge for a hug and Dad takes her bag. “Glad school’s finished for a bit.” 

“I bet. The summer holiday is longer but Christmas brings presents.” 

I nod, ignoring the case she’s gesturing at; there are no surprises - anywhere, let alone in that bag- that could shake me out of the numbness that has stung me to silence this last month. Aunty Anne carries on valiantly:

“I’m glad you could get the tree. I don’t think I’d be up for the sprint to the garden centre- the M25 was grid locked. I knew it would be at this time of day, but I couldn’t get away any sooner; I never thought it would take so long to sort through her drawers and cupboards…” She trails off and Mum makes a small gulping noise before asking whether she’d like a cup of tea.

“Or something a bit stronger, bring a bit of Christmas spirit to the place?” Dad’s half-hearted joke falls flat with Mum, but Aunty Anne laughs bravely. 

“No, no, just a tea- thanks John. Perhaps later!”

Dad goes out to fill the kettle while Mum and Aunty Anne sit on the sofa. I look at the empty chair in the corner and my knees feel like they might give way under me. I sit on the floor, leaning up against the sofa. While they talk, I press my nails into the palm, hoping the pain will distract from the roar of the words: funeral, service, book of condolences. I hum under my breath, trying not to hear: taking Mum’s things to the charity shop. If I try hard enough, surely I can block them out, just like I do the jingly jangly Christmas songs. 

I fix my eyes on the tree, standing bare but proud in the room’s other corner. Dad had gone to fetch it a few weeks ago when we all knew what was about to happen. He had just grabbed his coat and keys, muttering about how, if nothing else, there would be a tree in the house this Christmas. It sat in our garden after he brought it back, lopsided and forgotten in a bucket of water, while we bent under the strain of Granny’s final days. I must have been holed up in my room, the day he dried it off and brought it in. The thought makes me squirm: Dad struggling alone under the weight of the tree, wrestling to trim the branches to fit into the stand, while I’d hidden away, shouldering my cross of grief. 

It might be unadorned, but the tree is beautiful nevertheless. The fresh smell of pine perfumes the room and brings the forest into our home. I’ve always been in such a rush to get the lights and decorations on, to get Christmas well and truly underway, that I realise I’ve never noticed the beauty of the undressed tree: a simple thing of wonder, needing no glitz and glam, no change at all. It strikes me for the first time how achingly alive it is, the needles such a glossy green. It is defiant, blazing life, in our little house. 

“Would you like to see what I’ve brought Lizzie?” Aunty Anne’s question prods me back into the here and now. I must look absolutely blank because she flicks the clasps on her leather suitcase and pulls out an old Christmas biscuit tin; I’d know the design of the horse-drawn carriage in the snow anywhere: Granny’s Christmas decorations. 

 “They were one of the first things I found when I started sorting through things. She must have got them out from the cupboard under the stairs. It’s like she had them ready to give to us. Well to give to you Lizzie; she knew how much you loved decorating her tree.” 

Aunty Anne’s soft brown eyes look at me kindly, but I cast mine down to the rose patterns on the carpet, tracing the petals with my fingers. They seem to be floating in pools of rippling water. I hear the scrape of the lid being removed and Aunty Anne strokes my hair, tied back days ago in a messy ponytail, as she lowers the tin down to me. 

I keep my head bent and peer in. Nestled inside the soft tissue paper are Granny’s handmade Christmas decorations; the ones she had been given by her mother, when she started a family of her own. As I slowly lift the Christmas angel with her hand- stitched dress, I hear Mum start as if the angel had flapped her wings, and I look up.

My Grandmother’s old angel from the top of the tree! Can I hold her for a moment Lizzie?” I pass it over reluctantly. 

“You probably don’t remember your great grandmother; she was amazing with a needle. Such a steady hand and a careful eye. She could keep a watch on me- knee high, trying to steal the Christmas sweets from the top drawer- and still sew this row of careful stitches. I wish I’d inherited her talent; I can hardly sew on a button let alone make a dress like this.” And Mum smiles, for the first time in weeks, as she touches the hem of the angel’s dress, with its little row of kiss stitches. 

With a clinking of china on the tea tray, Dad is back in the room. George bundles in after him, all mud, sweat and smiles. The wind from the football pitch has scrubbed his face red and thrown him over a few times by the look of the grass stains on his white training shorts and earth-caked knees. 

“Hi Aunty Anne!” He calls out cheerfully from the doorway, cramming huge chunks of a chocolate Santa into his mouth. I return to the box of goodies on my lap as Aunty chats to him, pleased that she is the one on the receiving end of all that blustery energy. I gently lift up the folds of tissue paper and see what I’ve been hoping for: the glass bell. Granny let me hang it up every Christmas, trusting me with its delicate hand-blown form, even when I hardly trusted myself. And then I would ring it, ever so gently, watching it sway lightly on the branch; the tiny bell with its delicate blue snowflake pattern, chiming across the whole expanse of the room, filling me with its pure sound. 

“I think that’s a lovely idea, don’t you agree Lizzie?” Mum’s question summons me back to the present.

“What’s that?” I ask.

“Aunty Anne suggested that each of us takes one of the decorations, as a keepsake. I’d love the angel- if that’s ok. Why don’t you and George choose one each?”

I have no time to reply. George throws his half-eaten Santa onto the coffee table and grabs the tin off my lap. I yelp in annoyance and quickly try to pull it back, desperate to stop him from choosing the bell. But he won’t let go and suddenly, in the middle of the tug of war, he releases the tin with an angry “Well have it then!” and the speed of release takes me by surprise. The tin is falling from my hand. The decorations are tumbling out and rolling together on the floor. There is a sickening noise of splintering glass and then it is over. 

I don’t dare look as Mum runs sobbing from the room, cursing us both. George is shouting about how it’s all my fault and why do I get the first choice of everything anyway? The words collide in my head and my thoughts feel like shards, slicing me into pieces. Dad looks at me like I’m the world’s most unfortunate child. Only Aunty Anne can blink back her tears, saying “It’s a shame, but we can buy a new one.” Her face suggests otherwise. I scoop up the two halves of the bell. I don’t care if they cut me; perhaps I even deserve it, and flee to my room. 

 I fling the towel, dumped on my bed, over the mirror on my dressing table; I don’t want to see my white drawn face, the dark eyes and even darker rings under them. I certainly don’t need to look in the mirror to see whose fault this all is. Carefully I lay the bell’s two pieces on the table. I pull the curtains to and lie down under my blanket, pulling it right up over my head. Other creatures are sleeping, deep in the earth; I curl myself up in a hedgehog ball and wish I could sleep likewise. Not for an hour or an evening, that wouldn’t help. I wish I could fold all this prickly pain up, sleep and only wake when it has melted like winter’s snow. 

Someone must hear me as I do sleep, starting awake to the noise of a single loud chime: the bell that lies broken on the table. Slowly I open my eyes as the bell chimes twice, thrice and then is still. The bedroom is dark except for a thousand pinpricks of light, glimmering at the end of my bed. My heart lurches towards them, like I’m metal and they are the strongest magnet in all the galaxy. They take on human form; they shimmer into the form of my darling Granny. 

I squirm out of the covers and peer into the swirling mass and see her long white hair, unbound from the bun which she had always worn to hold it in place; it flows down her back- a cataract of light. I know it sounds like the stuff dreams are made of, but I can see the faintest curve of two mighty wings, arching from her back. 

“Granny, it is you- isn’t it?” I manage to whisper.

“Darling Lizzie.” And her voice is my lifeline; cast into all the fears and doubts and despair I have been drowning in these last weeks, it hauls me out. 

“Granny, I broke your bell.”

“I know my love.”

“Mum won’t ever forgive me. I won’t ever forgive myself.” 

“Lizzie, Lizzie, there’s nothing to forgive. Accidents happen. The bell was made of glass and glass can break.”

 “But I wanted to keep it forever; to ring it every Christmas and remember all those holidays we had together.” 

“I know you did my darling.”

“And you must have wanted it too. You left the box out for Aunty Anne to find. You meant for me to have the bell and treasure it forever.”

I feel the trace of a touch as the shimmering hand takes mine and her light pours through my skin with the strength of all the stars.

“No, my darling, I didn’t. I wanted you to have the decorations- yes. I packed them and thought of all our beloved times together. I wished for you to have them, but to treasure forever and ever? To worry over, fretting that something might happen; feeling so terrible when an accident like this one did? No. I wouldn’t have wished that for the world.” 

And with each word, I feel it lighten. Like snow caught by the wind and borne aloft; I feel the dark of my despair loosen, until it drifts, whirling apart. 

“My sweet Lizzie, the bell is broken- yes. But here,” she presses her hand to my heart, “and here, “the other brushes my brow, “here it can never break; your memory and your heart holds it safe. I know it seems like everything is changing, but some things, like our love, will always stay the same."

I lie my head in Granny’s lap and feel like I’m in a snow-globe. Someone has shaken this world and we two hover, momentarily, in our own beautiful flurry of snowflakes and light. Everything is changing, for my soul stirs. My head pillowed by her soft radiance, I drift into sleep once more. 

The light of the North Star, through a chink in my curtain, wakes me for a second time. The swirling mass of light, Granny, is gone; but when I walk to the window and draw the curtains fully back, Polaris is like all her pinpricks of brilliance concentrated into one unwavering beam. “Thank you, Granny,” I whisper to the star, then quietly make my way to the cupboard in the corridor just outside my room. I take out the box as silently as possible. Perhaps Santa is delivering his presents at this very moment, perhaps not; what I do know is this: I have my own gift to give. I return to my room and set to work. 

Bells ring out for Christmas day in many of the carols I love the most. Sweet sing the bells; chimes all seem to say, throw cares away. I know it is easier to discard troubles and woe in song than it is in life, but as I walk into the lounge on Christmas morning where my family are gathered, I feel like my cares are, for now, lightened. We share our Merry Christmases in front of the tree, quietly beautiful in all its natural finery. Mum holds onto Dad’s arm, reaching up to put her grandmother’s angel on top of the tree: Gloria, glory on high. Slowly I unfurl my fingers and there, nestling in my palm, is the little bell- whole once more. Aunty Anne picks it up, and if she can make out the fine line, the scar from the break, her shining eyes do not betray her. 

“Cool!” says George. “Like a miracle!” And his smile smooths the last shard of my pain.

“Here's your bell Lizzie,” says Aunty Anne, holding it out to me. 

I take the little bell and hang it on the tree. I hardly dare to, but I do; reaching out with just a fingertip. It chimes: once, twice, three times, ringing out as clear and true as it does in my memory. I draw my family to me and we join in our own five-pointed hug: a star on earth this Christmas.


November 29, 2022 22:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

18 comments

Aeris Walker
12:10 Dec 03, 2022

Well I’m certainly in the Christmas spirit now. This made me think of decorating our own tree with the kids, how they were so enamored with all the ornaments—some especially sentimental—and I had to balance those feelings of “eee please don’t break that” and “yes, you can hang this one, it’s beautiful isn’t it?” Lovely story, valuable message, and beautiful writing as always. Especially loved these lines: “…that I realise I’ve never noticed the beauty of the undressed tree: a simple thing of wonder, needing no glitz and glam, no change at...

Reply

Show 0 replies
AnneMarie Miles
15:47 Nov 30, 2022

You've done it again, sister Miles! This is encapsulates all the heartwarming and feel-good, hopeful wishes of Christmas. You've made it feel like Christmas can cure all of the dread of sorrowful grief, as long as the family is together. I like how well the bell parallels the family dynamic; the family disperses at the bells break and as they come together in the morning, the bell becomes whole again. The story is not unusual but, as always, the writing is superb. Ill be wishing for my own Christmas miracle to pull off a story as delightful ...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
21:33 Nov 30, 2022

You're quicker off the starter block than Santa when the first bells strikes midnight on the big day! Thanks so much sister scribbler for stopping by so soon. As Christmas cranks up big time, I thought what the heck I might as well go for it: magic at midnight, carols and angels, bells, stars and gifts all wrapped up with a bit of bittersweet poignancy. This has got me more into the Christmas spirit than the mulled wine I had at the market earlier, so I may just keep right on in this vein 'till Santa arrives and I'm well and truly sick of al...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
17:30 Dec 06, 2022

This is really lovely - as I was about to remark on what I enjoy so much about it, I look down and see my points are already well covered and commented on by Anne Marie. I would say what she said, but doubt I could have said it as well. I certainly concur. Beautiful work!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:34 Dec 07, 2022

Thanks Susan. I love poignant writing ( I'm a big fan of the master, in my opinion, Ishiguro) so I'm so pleased you found this beautiful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
13:19 Dec 04, 2022

I can tell you're getting into the festive spirit! I loved your description of the bell: 'the tiny bell with its delicate blue snowflake pattern, chiming across the whole expanse of the room, filling me with its pure sound.' So beautiful and delicate, like the innocence of the young girl holding it. A heart-warming read :)

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:14 Dec 04, 2022

With still a few weeks to go, I wonder if I can keep going with what I said: a Christmas story every week! Still, after a week of Christmas markets it's been nice to embrace the heart-warming.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
00:43 Dec 04, 2022

Clapping

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
13:52 Dec 02, 2022

Great tale. I love the glass/relationship parallel: things break and things cn be fixed. Very nice. I really liked the unadorned Christmas tree analogy. It's very beautiful even when not decorated, much like our relationships with our family. We see each other at our worst - unadorned - yet we still love each other. Nicely done, Rebecca.

Reply

Rebecca Miles
14:05 Dec 02, 2022

Back to poignant for me again this week. I'm glad you liked the analogies; I was aiming for beauty and unadornment this week ( in contrast to full blown tinsel, fairy light decked OTT Christmas madness).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
23:08 Nov 30, 2022

A first bitter, then sweet Christmas story :) The grandmother's intention with the gift is touching. It's never about the physical object - and yes, the stress that comes with caring for an heirloom - but rather the memories that are attached to it. The moment where they fight over the tin was tense, and though the results sucked for the family (initially, not ultimately) it was the right choice for the story. It added risk and made things worse before they could get better. I did get tripped up at one moment. The way the story opens, it...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:39 Dec 01, 2022

Hi Michal, yes a bittersweet one this week with all the christmas trimmings thrown in! I've reread that passage. I'd wanted to leave it till Aunty Anne's arrival for the disclosure of whose passed, so your wondering who it was was intentional. That said, I want the story to flow and there's lots of imagery later ( as always) so I think I'll take your tip and just edit there. Yes, the undressed tree is a nice symbol for natural and unforced stability and growth, like the family. Thanks for reading so early on!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
17:10 Dec 31, 2023

Fighting over an heirloom sounds all too familiar. A workmate told me recently her extended family has been torn apart fighting over an opal mine. At least your family in the story work it out together. You captured the tension of it, everyone with their expectations clashing and the way those can boil over.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Antonio Jimenez
22:27 Dec 07, 2022

Well done with this story! It was so sad but the festive spirit of Christmas ultimately broke through in the end. When they were fighting over the decorations and dropped it, my heart dropped lol. Great story. I’d love if you could check out my newest story (just a couple underneath yours under the same prompt) and leave some feedback. Thanks!

Reply

Rebecca Miles
05:48 Dec 08, 2022

Thanks Antonio. Wow you've got heaps of feedback from some absolute heavyweights on Reedsy already. I doubt my critique will throw up anything at this stage but I'll head over at breakfast as I know you can never have too many comments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hilary R. Glick
03:33 Dec 06, 2022

Wow! The opening of sorrows and woe around the holidays is one that is all to familiar, but I was enamored by the vivid, yet on theme, descriptions- “spider making homes in tinsel,” “no frost outside but it’s settled here,” and weeping angels atop the tree. You so carefully and delicately chose words that not only helped the mood, but the atmosphere. I also enjoyed all the quick descriptors like the battered suitcase, and the clink of the drinks on the table. So many juicy nuggets!! Thanks for the nostalgic, bittersweet read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lindsay Flo
19:39 Dec 05, 2022

This was just so...pretty. There was sorrow, but there was a general sense of heartwarming-ness. The family that obviously cared very much for each other. The legacy of the grandmother. The spiritual visit on Christmas Eve. The different ways everyone was handling grief--Mom being sad, Aunty trying to soothe everyone, the MC being silent, Dad doing dad things like getting the tree pre-emptively and offering "spirits". I loved the ghostly visit from the grandmother. The other part that really clicked for me was when the kids broke the ornam...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
20:00 Dec 05, 2022

Thanks Lindsay. I'm really behind on all my Reedsy reading this week. I've a ton of marking before reports need to be issued. I'm going to try to make it to yours but it may take a day or even two. The tree is a indeed a metaphor. I suppose it's courageous and beautiful in its simple ability to shine without lights or trimmings. I wanted, especially as it's in the family home, to symbolise the family's strength too at a hard time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.