0 comments

Adventure

The Empty Space

Scene one:

Sacrificial ceremony:

The humanoids are chanting.

An empty space-suit lay on the ground where he left it, it was of no use to him anymore. His stained fingers pressed heavily on the steel plate as he began to walk away into the void. A painted image of a black star appeared in the sky for all to see, it was another sign of the day of reckoning. The moon appeared to be larger, leaving an orange glow around the outside. The alienated humanoids with tails had travelled several miles from another dimension to meet with the leader. He stands in a corner with a bandaged face, hands raised up in prayer and speaking to the black star through telepathy, the humanoids appear to be completely mesmerised by the figure, who was found near the space-suit, their tiny bodies began shaking, bare-footed on the rough ground. The air is neutral. They are accustomed to the dim-lit atmosphere as the music presides and the chanting continues. A lone humanoid walks by, dressed in a long dark gown, holding the skeletal head, which was handed to her.  His name is Orlas, one of the higher humanoids ready to take worship.

ORLAS

We are the children of Orbe and we bring a new being to you

The humanoids respond with fierce shaking from the hips down. She holds out the head to them as they mumble her praises.

ORLAS

What do you want me do to do, oh reliant one, your servant?

Then a voice from above could be heard, reciting the scriptures of Orme to the children of Orbe. His name, Orlesian, the creator.

ORLESIAN

(Oh gracious ones)

You have come to me... oh holy gatherers, to this place... which will now be your home... you are the chosen ones... there is no other place like this... come, now and let us gather together and I will take you on a guided tour... this is where the gifted humans come to be transformed.

The humanoids follow the bright star through a long passage, to a well-lit room with a view of the whole universe, all of the planets can be seen in alignment with each other. There are six humanoids and are now seated in front of six computers.

The chosen ones were:

Flo ,Joe, Dave, Sid, Aggie and Celine.

In the land of Orbe, surnames are irrelevant, only the leader knows their full credentials but none know each other. The trance is removed, they do not speak, the leader speaks to them telepathically. Each person momentarily take it turns to tap a few codes on to the computer. Each time this happens a light appears in the universal sky.

INT:

The universal headquarters:

The screens are on, showing a green light and binary codes litter the page, each code symbolising a human soul. Dave is the head person, Aggie and Celine are in charge of present, while Flo and Joe are in charge of spiritual awareness. There are a few others but nobody speaks. All that can be heard is the humming of the machines waiting for the next zone.

Scene change we see the beginning of them taking stock of their new surroundings.

FLO

I almost forgot why I’m here

JOE

Don’t remind me! How long did he say we have?

FLO

I almost forgot why I’m here, why am I repeating myself?

JOE

Did you hear me?

FLO

Yes, I did...I don't understand it

JOE

What did he say? How long?

FLO

Until we find someone I guess... that’s going to take years!

JOE

How many years?

FLO

I don’t know exactly...I wonder how long we have to stay here

Scene change to Dave the leader.

DAVE

There’s not enough time... how can I do this, it is virtually impossible…I mean…who am I?

JOE

Yes, I’ve been wondering about that as well.

DAVE

I was told that they have an important job for me

JOE

Why are you so more important than me?

FLO

When are we going on the guided tour...he said we will be going on a guided tour?

JOE

I don’t have the answers!

DAVE

I don’t think we should be asking each other questions...it's not up to us

FLO

Why!

JOE

Why?

Scene change to the rest of the crew:

AGGIE

I feel as if I am being programmed to do this...it truly doesn't make any sense

CELINE

We just have to carry on until we are told to do likewise

AGGIE

How long is that going to be?

CELINE

Sorry… no more questions...that's all I know

Scene change where the leader steps in

ORLESIAN

You are all important to this dimension…you have been selectively chosen to come to Orbe to make difference to the human life which still exist up till now.

Then his voice and presence disappeared.

DAVE

You see… we are the special ones

JOE

Why are we so special?

FLO

Stop asking questions... it is not supposed to be that way...we are the doers.

JOE

I don’t feel all that special...I feel programmed...not special

AGGIE

Do you want me to delve into your future to show you your path?

DAVE

That is not allowed…I will forbid it...he is not meant to know

AGGIE

What can you do, anyway?

CELINE

It is not our job to focus on each other…you know what the penalty is...it has been programmed in us when we arrived here

AGGIE

I just wanted to help him...I'm not doing any harm.

CELINE

It is not worth the risk, believe me

JOE

so, we have been programmed

DAVE

of course we have...to fit into this environment...so that we will be able to breathe without the aid of any apparatus.

JOE

I see...and what do I have to do now!

Orlas appeared before them, these were the new recruits and already they were having doubts about their own lives.

ORLAS

There is no better being than a humanoid being, this is your purpose to do something exceptional to the humans who have been left behind.

November 10, 2020 12:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.