Love is in the air ❤❣

Submitted into Contest #44 in response to: Write a story that starts with two characters saying goodbye.... view prompt

47 comments

General

“Goodbye, Elise”

“Goodbye, James”

I saw her walked off with tears streaming down her cheeks. I also can’t bear the thought of leaving her and I just stood there watching her leaving the airport. The airport was filled with lots of passengers arriving from flights or going to catch a flight. Although the airport was crowded and noisy, my eyes was still on the blond-haired woman who had just shattered my heart and walked away.

Then, to my surprise, Elise turned around.

“I almost forgot”. She jogged back to me, handed me a letter and nodded.

“Don’t read it until I leave. Promise me.”

“But, what is it?”

“Promise me first, James”

“Fine, I promise”. And with that she kissed me on my cheek and walked away. This time for good.

Thinking about this army mission that I received days ago made my heart beating fast. Was I afraid that I would leave my wife for good? We’ve been married for a year and I just can’t bear the thought of that. I shook off the nasty feelings off me. I looked down at the letter she gave me. And read it:


My sweetheart,


Your love is always on my mind. When I am away from you, I long to feel your touch, the warmth of your hand, the comfort of your arms and the soft touch of your lips on mine. You make me so happy. The more time I spend with you, the more I find myself falling deeper in love with you. I love you—and I love us together.


You are the man beyond my dreams: the man I would marry again, the first one I think about when I wake up, and the last one I think about when I go to bed.


Thank you for being there with me through the very thick and thin moments of life. I cannot imagine my life without you. Thank you for being the one I can count on and trust with even my darkest fears and biggest dreams. I would choose no one other than you to be my partner in life.


Lastly, there’s something I really need to tell you. This piece of news may be staggering and happy for you. We’re…….going to have a little angel in our house. You’re going to be a dad. I’m really sorry for telling you now as I really didn’t mean to worry you much. Stay safe and take care dear. Email me whenever you can. Love you.


-Elise-


Tears were beginning to well up in my eyes. I’m going to be a dad…

“I’M GOING TO BE A DAD!!!!”

I was bouncing up and down with enthusiasm. The people around me started to look at me as if I’m a crazy person. I ignored the looks I’ve been getting and quickly dashed to the airport entrance. My eyes was frantically searching for the woman that I’m longing for. Then, I found her walking towards her car crying. I ran and quickly got hold of her. She looked at me with the warm brown eyes that made my heart flatter. I hugged her tightly.


“Elise…..why didn't you never tell me before? I would have canceled this trip to be with you…”

“James……..I’m sorry. I know that this trip is so important for you. I don’t want to worry you much.”

“Forget that, Elise. The important thing that matters now is that we both going to be parents. I love you so much, my dear. Take care and promise to email me every day.”

“Okay, dear. Love you too, James. Bye”

“Bye…”

 ____________________________________________________________________________________


Many weeks passed. James and Elise still kept in touch through emails. Although they were separated by miles apart, their love for each other was strong as ever.

Until, one day….


“Hello. Who is this speaking?”

“Hello. Is this Mrs. James speaking?

“Yes….How can I help you?”

“We are sorry to be the bearers of sad news, but your husband, James passed away today due to the explosion that took place at the army camp.”


Elise was shocked and unable to control her tears. She felt scared and fearful. She felt guilty for being the one who is still alive. At another point, she felt angry that her dearest husband had left her. Once that first tear broke free, the rest followed in an unbroken stream. Elise bent forward where she sat on the floor and pressing her palms to the mat, she began to cry hysterically.

Hours went by. Her tears were starting to dry up. She could feel her memories with him flooding back. Her memory with him was still vivid in her mind.


Her heart started pounding and scenes flashing as her memory showed her a movie of how they’d met.

____________________________________________________________________________________

-FLASHBACK-


Elise’s POV


“Hey, Elise”

“Hey, Mia”


 I looked up to the girl who is my best friend in high school. We all need a Mia in our lives. She’s the friend who makes me happy and who I can have fun with. She’s the friend who puts a smile on our faces and helps me kill the stress from my school days. She’s really fun to hang out with and I really love her to the extent.


“Elise, hurry we need to attend class”


She drag me with her to class. We were practically running through the hallways. We ran as fast as we could but we barely around the corner before we both slammed into a stranger. Not a stranger, but a boy.


“Hey…..are you okay? I’m really sorry!

When I look up to meet the eyes with the victim of my stupidity, I gasped in surprise.

It was none other than James Charles, the popular boy in our campus.


We just stared at each other, too stunned to speak. He was fair, almost pale white. His unfathomable, golden brown eyes contrasted exceptionally with his light toned face. His eyes were as deep and expressive, where you could get lost if you stared long enough. His face had that faraway look in it, which cannot be described in words. He had the looks and a structure of a model. He just stared at me with a look that I can’t clearly describe. I snapped out of my thoughts.


“I’m so sorry….I didn’t mean it for this to happen”

He kept his mouth shut and not a single word came out from him. I sense that he’s slightly taken aback from this incident.

I was about to apologize once again when a voice beats me to it.

“Look, she’s really sorry. She apologized to you. What more can you expect from her?”

I had forgotten that Mia was beside me till she decided to talk to him. By now, I can feel all eyes in the hallways were on us.

“Isn’t it a bit obvious?”

He spoke with such an ego that made my anger boiling up in me.

“What do you mean?”

“Oh, come on! All of us here know that you two did it on purpose just to get attention from me because both of you are even crazier on me than the other fan girls!”


I was both shocked and surprised to hear this. I opened my mouth to speak but words don’t come out so I shut it. I glanced at Mia and she gave me a confused look. Is he serious? I was about to give a piece of my mind when suddenly I heard the bell ringing.


Lucky him…


 I saw the proud smirk plastered on his face. I just gave him an annoyed look and hurried to class while dragging Mia who was too dumbfounded with the incident that happened just seconds ago.


I knew right then this guy will somehow be part of my life. Both of us constantly started fighting through school days. But, as we grew up, we realized that we meant more to each other. Love started blooming in each other’s hearts. We soon got married with our parents’ approval.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Elise…ELISE!!!”

Elise came back to her senses. Elise turned around and saw Mia standing beside her.

“Are you okay? I’m really sorry...”

“I’m okay…He’s a brave person, Mia. Nothing could have happen to him. Nothing.”

She swiped at her eyes but the tears came any way. There’s nothing that can be done. James was gone. This time forever.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________


2 years later….

“EMERGENCY!!!”

“WARD 123…THERE’S AN EMERGENCY HERE!”


Elise quickly put on her coat and went in the emergency room. She was shocked to find a familiar face there. She couldn’t believe her eyes at first. She checked through the patient’s file and found the name that she’s been longing for to utter. Without further due, she started her operation. He had severe injuries on his head and a whole lots of bruises on his legs, other than that, there’s nothing serious.

After the operation had been successfully done, she dashed to her office and started crying so hard. But this time, tears of joy started racing down her cheeks. Her prayers had come true.


“Hey, Mia”

“Hey, Elise. What’s up?”

“Can you bring Lily over?”

“Sure. No problem, dear”


Elise hung up on Mia and went to check out on him. He was sleeping soundly. She can sense that he was exhausted from whatever took place these two years. Elise sat beside him.


“James…how much I’ve missed you. I didn't lose trust in god. I prayed for these two years just for a miracle like this to happen and it did. Where were you these two years? What happened? I’m dying to hear the answers to all these questions. But, that isn’t important anymore, compared to the news that you are still alive after these two years. It was truly depressing for me when at first I heard that you died. But, now that’s the past. You’ve been great husband to me and a great partner that a woman could ever get. Thank you….”

“Elise…..Sorry”

“James…..It's okay”

He woke up and Elise saw the gold brown eyes that she had been longing to see for so these two years. He looked up at her and smiled.

“Mummy…”

Elise looked at Lily who had just arrived at the door and was looking at her with a confused look. Mia wore the same expression and she gave her ‘I will explain later’ look. James looked up and saw Lily and he smiled at her knowingly. Elise grinned and realized this would be a new beginning to her life.


Life is filled with miracles, happy moments and blessings from god. We should take Elise’s life as an example that miracles do happen.


Sometimes all you can do is not think, not wonder, not imagine and not obsess. Just breathe and have faith because miracles do happen.

June 06, 2020 02:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

47 comments

E. Jude
22:29 Jun 08, 2020

Great story. Shook me up a bit. Love Elise, don't really like James. I think you could've narrated the journey of her relationship with James. You know, set a few scenes and stuff, instead of stuffing it all in one paragraph. Because she goes from thinking he's a narcissistic piece of crap in the hallway to having an epic, amazing, genuine love story with him. But all in all, it was an amazing piece. I would love it if you could check out my stories too!!!! XElsa Ps: Why the name James Charles??😂😁

Reply

02:32 Jun 09, 2020

Thank you so much, Elsa!! Thank you for this great feedback....noted and thanks! Sure, no problem!😊😊😉 Ha-ha. That name sounds kind of heroic to me and also I kind of run out of names! 😂😅 Have a great day, Elsa!❤️️❤️️

Reply

E. Jude
07:08 Jun 09, 2020

You're a very good writer, with potential. Have a nice day!!! You do know the YouTuber, James Charles, right??? XElsa

Reply

07:10 Jun 09, 2020

Thank you, Elsa! You too!❤️️ Yes, I do know him.

Reply

E. Jude
07:12 Jun 09, 2020

Oh ok, just checking😂🤣 XElsa❤

Reply

07:13 Jun 09, 2020

Haha..great!🤣😂 I just kind of run out of names...And also James is kind of a suitable name for Ellie..so I thought why not Thank you for checking..😁😂🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Noor Ahmed
16:10 Jun 08, 2020

Hey! Thank you so much for the support on my stories. I really appreciate it! I decided to check out your profile as well, and I am truly flattered that someone better than me in writing has left such nice comments on my submissions. The story had such a touching moral behind it. We all have to have hope in our lives, even when it is hard! I absolutely love this story! I have just one suggestion about your word choice if you don't mind :) You said: "Elise hung up on Mia and went to check out on him." This kind of sounds like that ...

Reply

02:09 Jun 09, 2020

Thank you so much, Noor!! I really appreciate you reading and commenting my stories! Thank you for this great feedback!! Got it...thanks :)) Your stories were great too! I enjoyed reading yours and I'm glad to read and comment on your stories!😉😉 U too! Keep writing, Noor! Looking forward for more stories from you!😊 ( Awww, thanks!! I love your name too!❣️)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
12:41 Jun 08, 2020

This was awesome! The emotions and relationship felt so real! Keep writing 💙

Reply

13:51 Jun 08, 2020

Thank you so much, Lynn!!! U too!❤️️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Agnes Ajadi
16:37 Jun 07, 2020

Such an amazing story! You write just like a pro. And thanks for reading my stories. Keep writing!❤️

Reply

16:39 Jun 07, 2020

Thank you so much, Agnes! Your comment has made my day!😊 U too! Stay safe and have a great day!❤️️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tvisha Yerra
16:31 Jun 07, 2020

You asked, so here I am! Love the story, it's so heart-warming! But one thing I would stop you doing in the future is an excess of, "-----------." Three or four would be enough. Another thing, you stressed "2 years," a lot in that paragraph. Repetition isn't always the best way to go. (Also, the correct term would've been "two years.") But overall, great story!

Reply

16:35 Jun 07, 2020

Thank you so much Tvisha! I'm glad you took your time reading and commenting my story. Great feedback, Tvisha...noted and thanks!😊

Reply

Tvisha Yerra
20:08 Jun 07, 2020

:)

Reply

01:50 Jun 08, 2020

:))❤️️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Such a beautiful story! You can really paint a picture in someone's mind~ However, in the beginning, when the first dialogues come, there should be a period at the end of the sentence. Again, amazing story!

Reply

15:21 Jun 07, 2020

Thank you, Kendra for reading and commenting my stories! Nice feedback...got it, Thanks! Have a nice day, Kendra!❤️️😊

Reply

You are very welcome! Have a nice day also 💕

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daryl Gravesande
13:15 Jun 07, 2020

AMAZING STORY! I loved every bit! In fact, all of your stories are SO well written. Great Job! Also, I hate to self-promote, but could you spread the word on my story? I really want it to blow up. It's okay if you can't.

Reply

13:53 Jun 07, 2020

Thank you so much Daryl! Really appreciate you reading and commenting my stories! Sure, no problem! I absolutely love reading your stories! They're so UNIQUE!😊😊

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
14:14 Jun 07, 2020

Thank you! Yours are BY far better, in my opinion.

Reply

14:30 Jun 07, 2020

That is so sweet of you, Daryl! But, honestly, you are WAY MORE better than me....😉😉 And I'm proud to say, I'm a huge fan of your stories!😊😊

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
19:29 Jun 07, 2020

Thanks! I'm a fan of yours, too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kelechi Nwokoma
07:35 Jun 07, 2020

This is really great! I enjoyed your story till the very end. Keep writing :)

Reply

07:37 Jun 07, 2020

Thank you so much Kelechi! Really appreciate the thought of you reading and commenting my story! U too! Have a great weekend!❤️️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
15:10 Jun 06, 2020

Aw, what a sweet ending to a sweet story. 🌸⭐️🌸 One thing, I believe you meant to to say angel when you said angle meaning a baby. Have a fantastic weekend!

Reply

15:38 Jun 06, 2020

Ha-ha. Thank you Rhondalise for pointing out my mistake! I truly appreciate the feedback you gave me. You too! ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
X Y
12:27 Jun 11, 2020

Hello Harshini, First of all, this is a beautiful story. Elements of it remind me of The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. You should read it and watch the movie if you haven't already. Feedback: There were a few grammatical issues. Sometimes you switch between tenses. Watch out for that. Otherwise, I loved everything about it. The characters were fantastic. I really liked the description in the story and the plot was amazing and romantic. Switching between different POVs is hard to do effectively but you really made it work. :)

Reply

12:47 Jun 11, 2020

Thank you so much Daniella! I really appreciate you reading and commenting on my story!😊😉 I haven't actually watch the movie yet! I will check it out then! Thanks for the recommendation!😅 Great feedback Daniella! Got it...thanks! Again, thank you for giving a great feedback on my story Daniella! Have a great day!❤️️❤️️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lata B
15:37 Jun 10, 2020

This was very well written! I thought the ending was so prefect. Your a great writer. Keep writing!💛 And thank you for reading my stories!

Reply

03:14 Jun 11, 2020

Thank you so much Lata!! I'm glad you liked it! You too! :)))) Sure, no problem...your stories are great!!❤️❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Farida Yakubu
18:35 Jun 09, 2020

Great story dear

Reply

01:33 Jun 10, 2020

Thank you so much, Farida!! I'm glad you liked it! I really enjoyed reading your story too! 😊😀 Keep writing and have a great day Farida!!❤️️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ranya Navarez
16:47 Jun 09, 2020

That was very sweet! It left me wondering, though, about what happened in those two years, and why Elise was suddenly working at a hospital. However, it was very well-told. Keep writing!

Reply

01:31 Jun 10, 2020

Thank you so much, Ranya!! Great feedback and I really appreciate it!!😊 You too!❤️️

Reply

Ranya Navarez
15:54 Jun 10, 2020

You're welcome! And thank you!

Reply

03:23 Jun 11, 2020

:)))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
11:32 Jun 18, 2020

A wonderful story! Mind checking my stories out? Thanks:)

Reply

11:34 Jun 18, 2020

Thank you Batool! Sure, no problem!😊

Reply

Batool Hussain
12:38 Jun 18, 2020

Also, I just saw your profile picture. I'm a CG fan too:)

Reply

12:42 Jun 18, 2020

Yesss,glad to know you are a CG fan Batool! 😁😁 I can't wait for September to arrive! What about you?

Reply

Batool Hussain
12:45 Jun 18, 2020

Same. I was so excited that there was another season but then sad too when they said that it was going to air in September!

Reply

12:47 Jun 18, 2020

Yeah, same here too! 😅

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kelly Vavala
13:28 Jun 16, 2020

Well done! Captured my attention from the get-go. Read like a Romance novel. Will you take a moment and read mine as well? Ashen Tears

Reply

15:00 Jun 16, 2020

Thank you so much Kelly! 😊😊 Sure,no problem! Have a great day Kelly! :)))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.