2 comments

Fantasy Adventure Suspense

Maldomir stands tall, gazing into his fate.  The dancing orange and yellow flames stare back, burning in a large bowl.   Long have they been lit, for how many years, Maldomir can not say.  Tasked with defending them, he has remained at their side for all that time.  They will remain lit, until he draws his last breath.  Compelled by the ancient magics, his will is not his own.  A punishment for a life of crime.  Damned to a black void, filled only with incompetent beasts and his protected flame for company.  

Silent rage smolders in his chest as he gazes into his prison.  How beautiful the darkness would be, if only it could extinguish the flames… Perhaps then, he could taste sweet death.  A distant roar disturbs his meditation, as the next trial of dark approaches.  A large nine foot tall shadow beast, with claws that can slice a man in half advances on his position.  A spawn of the dark, sent to test his resolve.  It approaches veiled in the void of this world, scraping and clawing through the black sand ground.  

With a sigh Maldomir closes his eyes, and readies himself for the contest.  His hand travels to his side releasing his sword from its clasp.  The feeling of cold steel imbued with powerful magic, feels right in his hand.  Magic flowing, and waiting to be released at his command as the blade begins to whisp white smoke.  The beast approaching quickly, is heard loudly scraping the sand now.  Snarling and frenzied, for the hopeful taste of blood.  

Turning to face the threat, Maldomir's silver breastplate gleams in the light of the fire.  The scratches and dents from previous battles displayed proudly.  The light is said to be a weakness for these creatures.  Stories of old passed down stories of heroes defending the light, against untold numbers of enemies.   Now they speak of death and dishonor…  kill me please… He thinks to the approaching creature.  Two red eyes come into view as the creature finally gets close enough to be seen.  Large gleaming black muscles shine in the light of the fire.

The creature lunges at Maldomir, claws flashing.  Dodging to the side, easily parrying the attack.  Maldomir strikes back and scores a hit, cutting off one of the creature's arms.  The beast collapses with screams of pain disappearing into the void.  Black smoke bleeding out of the creature's arm as it turns its head to Maldomir.  With a raspy dead voice through clenched teeth it growls “You… will die this day, light bearer…”  Getting back to its feet, it turns its body to Maldomir with claws scraping.  

“If only that were true…”  Maldomir says wish a sigh.  Lifting his sword he readies himself to slice the shadow in half, sending it back into the void.  Fighting for so long, Maldomir knows exactly what to expect from these beasts, and how they fight.  The beast lunges to Maldomir, black smoke trailing behind from its missing arm.  Maldomir easily dodges to the side and runs his sword through the creature's body.  Black smoke explodes out mixing with the white smoke of his sword.  Dancing together in unison, they evaporate into the air.  The creature's body slams into the ground into a whirlwind of black smoke.  Quickly dissolving, it’s gone within seconds as its body fully dissipates.  

Sighing, Maldomir shakes his head, walking back to the fire.  A distant roar echoes across the void again however.  Narrowing his eyes, Maldomir quickly turns and gazes back out into the void.  The blackness stares back, holding its many secrets close to the chest.  Another roar echoes in the dark from a different direction.  This can’t be…  Maldomir thinks to himself  They only come one at a time, every 5th day… Scraping sand is heard coming from two sides now.  Maldomir feels his breathing quicken.  Have the rules of the game, finally changed…? 

As if to confirm his thinking, multiple roars echo in from the void from behind him now.  Perhaps the day has finally come…  A smile crests itself on Maldomir’s face.  Holding himself in his battle stance he digs his boots into the ground, preparing himself for the attack.  Scraping and clawing a beast's red eyes appear, quickly followed by a second pair.  Sliding to a stop flinging sand out, the beast halts at the edge of the fire light gazing at Maldomir, several morsels of salt pelting Maldomir’s shield.  Rising to its full height head, aloft with pride it looks down at Maldomir. With a deep cracking voice it says “Death on to you, Light bearer.”

Breathing in quickly, Maldomir's eyes light up upon hearing the words.  A release from his hell would be beautiful.  Narrowing his eyes though, he looks the proud beast in the eyes remembering the countless number he’s slain.  Maldomir, holding his stance, proclaims “I would welcome such an end, if you are up to the challenge…” 

The beast looking down, smirks, raising its hand high in the air above its head roaring  “DEATH, TO THE LIGHT BEARER!” Quickly lowering its claws, pointing at Maldomir.  The second beast emerges from behind the first lunging at Maldomir, red eyes aglow with savagery.  Stance held firm Maldomir meets the beast with his shield, bashing it against the creature's claws and into its body deflecting it.  Maldomir grunts with effort holding his ground, boots sliding back in the sand from the force.  The creature then slides off the shield as Maldomir pushes to the side.  Quickly slicing down with his free hand, he surgically rams his blade into the disoriented creature’s heart.  A cry of pain erupts out as claws weakly reach up scraping against blade and armor.  A black whirlwind of smoke erupts from the creature, distorting Maldomir’s vision.  The white smoke from Maldomirs sword follows as it no longer whisps, the magic seemingly drained.  Expecting an attack, he's surprised as the second beast remains standing simply watching, smirking.  Raising one eyebrow, Maldomir looks more intently at the creature.  “Is that the best you’ve got?”

A cackling laugh comes from the proud beast. “We have not even yet begun…” 

Scratching and clawing registers behind in his ears, as more are finally close enough to be a threat.  Turning his head he sees three creatures in the light, advancing on the fire.  A short distance away, he can reach it in a quick dash.  The problem is the leader standing 15 feet in front of him, that will flank him when he retreats back.  Multiple roars suddenly erupt from far off, as many more creatures seemingly join the fight.  Maldomir’s heart begins pounding faster and harder as the battle awakens his old senses.  Muscles long neglected twitch yearning for a true test of combat, his heart however hopes he fails the test.  The fear of death excites his body, hand slightly shaking.  The three creatures reach the bowl, and Maldomir watches as they immediately start clawing at the sand near the fire, flinging sand into the bowl trying to smother it.  The flame responds back shimmering slightly with each bit that lands in the bowl.

Maldomir feels the ancient magic controlling his body as, unable to stop himself, his body turns and begins a mad dash toward the flame.  Leaving his back exposed to the apparent leader, he expects to feel claws rip into his armor.  A chill runs up his spine as all his training screams at him, never turn your back on an enemy.  He instead hears a deep cackle from behind him “run little light bearer, run….”  Quickly reaching the bowl Maldomir uses his powerful body to jump over the bowl and through the flame.  Surprising the creatures as they continue to fill the bowl with sand.    

Maldomir flying through fire emerges and bashes the middle one in the face with his shield, cracking teeth.  Pushing off, he redirects himself to the left creature.  Jamming his sword into the large torso, he’s met with wide red eyes.  The creature's body resists the attack however, as the sword barely penetrates through the hardened skin and muscles.  Maldomir, continuing with his momentum, falls to the sand behind them rolling to his knees with sand spraying in all directions.  Maldomir growls looking down at his blade realizing his sword has lost its imbued magic.   The creatures behind him roar, turning to him.  Gripping the blade tight he flows magic from reserves into the blade, and it bursts out white smoke.  Still plenty left he thinks to himself, feeling at his reserves.  Turning in the sand he-

BAM! 

The third creature he forgot about slams into him, tackling him to the ground as claws scratch into his silver breastplate and shield.  One claw finding a weak spot gouges deep enough it penetrates through, tearing into flesh.   His shield flings off his arm ripping part of his arm bracer off with it from the force.  Maldomir screams out in shocked surprise while rolling to the ground he feels the beast roll over his body landing in the sand next to him.  Quick to regain his senses from years of fighting, he looks over to the beast next to him and sees it beginning to rise.  Rolling over to his back he raises his sword, bringing it down slicing through the exposed body.  Black smoke explodes out in a tempest. Smirking slightly Maldomir thinks, take that you bastard… 

Maldomir feels warm blood flow out of his wound as pain sears in his side.  Thinking back it’s been many battles since he’s felt the thrill of a true wound.  THUMP!  Claws slam into the sand right behind Maldomir cutting through black smoke.  Scraping and clawing echoing through the void runs rampant now.  Many creatures advancing noisily, still yet unseen.  Gauging from the sounds, it may be as many as a dozen.  Gritting his teeth, Maldomir grunts with effort as he rolls away coming to his knees slicing out at the claw in the sand.  Hitting true he slices through the arm as black smoke bursts out causing the beast to fall back.  The other creature advances readying itself to lunge.  Maldomir rises to his feet and grips his sword with both hands, readying himself for the attack.  Pain pulses up his shield arm letting him know the bone may be fractured. Breathing hard he thinks Today may be the day to end it all…

Claws flash as the creature lunges, while the one missing and arm begins to stand.  Maldomir smoothly twists out of the way bringing his sword in for the kill.  If only you weren’t so predictable… he thinks to himself, slicing into the torso.  Black smoke screams out, blocking everything from view.  Maldomir turns back in the direction of the last remaining creature.  As the smoke dissipates, he sees the one armed creature desperately begin flinging sand in the bowl.  The flame flickers as it loses height, throwing less light as more sand lands in the bowl.  Maldomir with a scowl raises his sword still faintly wisping white smoke, throwing the sword at the creature.

The sword arcs through the air, then effortlessly slides into the back of the beast in a burst of white smoke.  The creature roars out in pain while white and black smoke explode out in a cloud.  The figure loses form quickly as it disappears into the void in a cloud of smoke.  The sword falls, landing next to the bowl shining dull silver in the fire light.  

Scraping and clawing from the far side intensifies as six beasts come into view charging toward the flames, sand flying behind them as they quickly move.  Maldomir's heart pounds away as more adrenaline fuels his body, battle pushing him closer to its limits than it has in years.  Gazing around, Maldomir spots his shield lying in the ground close by.  Running to it, he grabs it half sticking out of the sand.  Pain shoots up his arm as his hand grabs it,  loosely holding it by the torn bracer.  Several pairs of red eyes emerge from the darkness in front of him.  Running forward roaring with hunger for blood their forms begin to emerge. The six creatures from the far side reach the flame and begin flinging sand into the bowl in a frenzy.  

Maldomir turns and begins to run back to the flame.  The creatures behind him clawing sand as they move.  Snarling they follow, working themselves into a frenzy from chasing their prey so closely.  More roars echo across the land now.  Maldomir’s eyes widen slightly as he runs, hearing the chorus of new enemies.  Sounds like dozens now have appeared.  Summoning his magic he taps hard into his reserves bringing everything can summon to his sword hand.   His arm now brimming with energy storming with white smoke.  

Maldomir lets loose a war cry distracting the creatures in front of him.  The six take pause as they see him running toward them, and begin to claw their way around the bowl toward him instead. Finally reaching near the sword, he dives over to it grabbing while in the air.  Twisting in the air he turns, rolling to his knees near the weak flame.  Sword in hand he raises it in the air, pointed down.  Creatures on all sides seeing their opportunity for the kill hungrily begin their attack.  

Ramming his sword down into the ground he commands his light energy to explode out of the sword into a destructive wave.  All the magic he can muster, in one blast.  Light and energy flow through his sword exploding out from the sand in a whirlwind.  The massive destructive wave immediately throwing the beasts nearby.  Rays of radiant energy slamming into many of them, cutting flesh as they dissipate away into smoke.  The whirlwind intensifies as he pulls from his reserves.  Pulling all the magic he can muster, he pushes further.  The whirlwind of light explodes out more and more.  A star in the middle of black space.  Cries of pain fill the void, but quickly fade as bodies fade to smoke from the explosion.  

Maldomir, panting and exhausted, collapses down leaning on his dull silver sword.  Raising his head quickly looking around, he sees all of his enemies are seemingly destroyed, evident by the dozens of black clouds floating in the lit void. Tears begin to come to his eyes as he thinks I’ve beaten them again… Why can’t they just kill me?  Breathing hard feeling his reserves and energy spent he just continues to kneel against his sword in the sand.  The light around him fades away as the energy of his magic attack fades.  The void returns to its oppression again.  The small flame left in the sand filled bowl illuminating a small circle around him, very small but yet still lit.  How long must I endure this existence?! 

Tears start to fall freely as he sobs.  Letting go of his sword he falls to the ground openly weeping.  “YOU SAID… YOU WOULD KILL ME…” he screams into the void, his voice echoing around him.  Closing his eyes, he starts pounding the sand with his hands in frustration.  His arm shooting pain with every pointless hit.

A deep cackle softly begins echoing in the void.  Maldomir’s tear filled eyes snap open as he quickly raises his head, looking into darkness all around him for the source.  A chill runs up his spine as he realizes… The flame is no longer lit… The cackling seems to come from all around him as it echoes in the void seemingly from everywhere. 

The cackle slowly becomes more intense as others join in.  Maldomir pushes his body up.  Pain searing his side and arm, his body slow to rise.  Reaching over he feels the side of the bowl.  Breathing in quickly he knows the flame really has gone out, and he’s now totally in the dark… The cackling in the void intensifies even more, echoing through the dark so loud now it begins to hurt his ears.  A chorus of disgusting laughter.  A deep voice booms in his mind, cutting through the noise “ohhh little light bearer…”

Maldomir falls to his knees in the sand.  Grabbing his head with gritted teeth, he covers his ears trying to block out the noise.  The voice continues “We did promise you death…” 

Maldomir’s ears filled with the piercing noise feel as though they are going to explode.  Maldomir screams and squeezes his head trying to block the laughing.  It seems to have no effect, as the cackling increases even more.  The world becomes only noise and pain, echoing through the void.   A piercing wail of laughing and pain, drowning everything else out.  The voice continues in his mind easily understood over the noise “the thing is through… You are already dead…” 

The piercing wail amplifies to a crescendo, as all senses seemingly register nothing but overwhelming pain.  Piercing and throbbing into his soul itself.  Mind beginning to fade as the searing pain of the voids laughter continue their assault.  Maldomir, unable to handle the pain, passes out…

Time passes… How much time, Maldomir can’t say.  Eventually, feeling his senses return, he opens his eyes and finds himself standing in the dark void, with a large fire in front of him.  Maldomir stands tall, gazing into his fate.  The dancing orange and yellow flames stare back, burning in a large bowl….

January 13, 2024 02:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

J. I. MumfoRD
11:52 Jan 18, 2024

Excellent piece. Evocative piece of fantasy.

Reply

Matthew Gordon
18:02 Jan 18, 2024

Thank you very much for the kind words :). I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.