2 comments

Fantasy



I got up from my bed and looked around .I see the darkness everywhere.The pitch black surrounding scares me.I felt the sensory presence of my mother. Like a small child seeking for mother’s help. Suddenly I recall my mother who left me right around this time, same day ,same month last year.


 “Oh! One year has passed ;she is not here anymore.” I sighed.


Suddenly I heard a gusty, disastrous wind storm .It is howling ,as if it will break the walls and sweep away everything, filling every corner of the room with sand. I rushed to shut the window pane but - I am in for a bigger surreal sight.My eyes are blinded by the speed with which I am spinning.The whole house is spinning.As if someone has given my house a good, strong twist in the opposite direction.I felt like there is a sudden change of direction.My house is like a flying gigantic spaceship , and I am on my journey back home which is not Earth, not even this galaxy. The sky is like a bed of thousands of twinkling diamonds in all colors in the vast distance of this universe. As far as speed goes, what can I say! It is faster than light, and distance doesn’t matter.I managed to look out, and I see the large glowing sphere rise slowly into the dull morning sky. Casting sunbeams in every direction while it illuminated the small town. I stared out the glass panes as the colors made by the rising sun changed, growing more vivid with the passing time. Making the sky more radiant as it climbed higher and higher into the sky. But as beautiful as the morning was I knew today would be different. 


“The Sun is rising in the west !”


 “This feels abnormal, as if it will wipe out nearly everything above the ground”.I said.


I am spinning around in my house ,trying to have a strong foot on the ground, I didn't have a seat belt, so I held onto the floor lamp for my life.


“Where is my jacket?” I said to myself, with the cold frigid air pumping into my nostrils.I never felt air so pure ,fresh ,full of oxygen choking my air pipes.


“I can’t handle so much oxygen, my lungs are inflating like balloons inside my chest” ,I agonized. 


I felt like I was floating, the earth was coming to an end.Amidst that I could see a huge mushroom cloud, around 8 to 9 miles behind, being chased by a strong hurricane.I closed my eyes, the glare from the cloud , made my eyes completely shut.In few moments when I opened my eyes to check,I could see a glistening hand with fingers stretched out coming towards me, signaling me to hold it.Electricity sparked through the fingers.


“Wait ,I recognize this voice!”, “ Mother , mother ,where were you, why did you leave me”!?


I was frightened and happy at the same time.I did not know what to say.I crouched down.Mom touches the top of my head and says, “here I am ,I could not live without you!”


Mom said, “I know you have always been scared of thunder and storm; I didn't mean to scare you and look, it is not my fault either.The earth is spinning in the wrong direction ,the sun has risen in the west and will set in the east.”


Mom asked me to follow her outside.It was not dark anymore.The new rotation of earth has changed it completely.Earth looked greener than before.There were much more vegetation covering the planet.I thought, “hey that is more oxygen for all us.”


As we walked outside, two white feathered wings sprang out from her back.She held my fingers and we flew high up. As I look down ,I see the deserts retreat from Africa and Eurasia.The golden landscape in Brazil looked so tempting that I wanted to jump down to do quad biking.I kept holding her fingers even tighter.Pacific current has pushed a lot of cold water towards Europe, bringing freezing winters to the region.Russia has warmed up a lot and taken a break from being the coldest country.In the ocean Cyanobacteria has dominated over Phytoplanktons.”No wonder environment feels so full of fresh air!!”.


Suddenly I said to my mother , “Mom, Let’s go to America.”

Mom was all excited to show me around but warned me that, reverse rotation of earth has made America very dry and arid in the south.She knew ,I love America because my children live there.Only a mom can feel another mom’s pain.The emptiness that is created by the physical distance makes our lives meaningless.A glimpse ,a touch a hug from their children, is all what they want.


As we were suspended in the air ,my head was racing with all kinds of thoughts.I was happy to be with my mother and thanking the sun to rise in the west . In a flash a thought raced my mind: what if tomorrow the sun doesn't rise in the west and sets in the east,I will lose my mother again. 

Alas, the dream was over, while I was still in my dream.I crouched down.Mom slowly slipped her fingers off of my fingers and she vanished.Snow white feathers just fell on the ground like a heap of snow.She was gone.I sat on the floor holding my head in my both hands and weeping.


I woke up and I wished I was dead, so that I could be with my mother again.


I was wide awake now with no sight of my mother.She had left and so did the strong wind, and glittering stars.The climate was calm and serene; wind pattern has changed to normal.The earth was not spinning so fast anymore.Everything returned to normal.The frigid air was gone .I got down from my bed ,opened the window and saw the Sun was shining with all its might in the east.I was relieved.

My mourning heart from one year back just came back to life again.It is hard to forget mom, but in that moment I realized , that if you love someone, set them free.This is as true in death as it is in life.I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the soul achy, empty feeling that creeps up on me but I have to let her go.


So let's just leave our planet to spin the way it does.Let the sun rise in the east and set in the west.

“And what if it stops spinning altogether!”



 





April 30, 2020 00:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Raven B. Evolet
22:02 May 07, 2020

Hey Sharda, I loved the attention to detail, and the way you conveyed the emotion to a mother and her child, I’d only suggest checking your spelling and your dialog sounds a little robotic every so often. Keep writing!

Reply

SHARDA MISHRA
14:24 May 08, 2020

Thank a lot for your feedback.I will work on my spellings better next time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.