Eco Warriors

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic romance.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Romance

Jeremy watched the young woman's facial expressions change rapidly as she engaged in a clearly heated telepathic conversation with her guardian. Her pearly luminescent hair glowed softly in the ghostly moonlight, the starry sky above them reflecting off the nearby lake creating a peaceful image that juxtaposed the events of the evening. 

How could his life change so dramatically in just a few hours? Earlier that day his biggest concerns had been getting a job after university or friendship difficulties...now his main concern was where to go from here. The once dominant empire that was the human race had crumbled like a flake chocolate bar at the slighest galactic threat. Their naive and gullible belief that they were alone in the cosmos had been broken in such a violent way that who knew how long they would be feeling the aftereffects?

The apocolypse of the human race had occurred and it was nothing like Hollywood had predicted. Sure the aliens had come, yet they were intelligent...far more intelligent than the alien species depicted in Pop culture. The Earth hadn't blown up on a scale of diastrous proportions. The sky wasn't raining lava...it wasn't a Pompeii renactment. In fact, the aliens seemed to be a civilised and astute race. 

The extra terrestial figure that held his attention only furthered this fact as she nodded to whatever her guardian had mentally stated as she approached Jeremy. As cliche as it was the alien race certainly looked similar to humans...at least physically. Their appearences were humanoid, just on steroids. They looked more like models or the way the mythical races of the Fae and Elves were depicted in fantasy works. Arisha as she had introduced herself was the prime example of this.

Her brilliant hair was braided intricately on top of her head leaving her slightly pointed ears of full display. Light mauve skin constrasting starkly against the deep midnight of her pupiless and almost comically large eyes...like a deer's. Considering that she was the eldest and only female child of the governor of the newcomers her interest in him brought him no favours. Truth be told, as attractive as she was he was not in the mood to make connections...even if a incredibly attractive female seemed to want his attention.

Behind him the still lit up skyscrapers of Sydney loomed over the city, seemingly oblivious to their creators destruction. In a matter of a few hours these aliens had gotten into the minds of the most powerful characters of society...bringing down the likes of US parliament, the UN and practically every G20 countries government to name a few. Their mental talents and tricks surpassing far beyond what brute force could do...perhaps that was the scariest part.

As Arisha reached out to touch his still slightly shaking hand Jemery found himself recoiling instictvly, his body recognising the threat his mind was still struggling to comprehend. The intense sadness that glistened in her childlike eyes had some deep down part of him stirring, yet he refused to acknowledge it...the damage had been done. While she may not have been the decision maker her race had still invaded Earth. She may not be directly responsible but those she called her family or 'kin' as she had described it had taken over Earth to ' restore Gaia's balance'.

Apparently they were a peaceful intergalatic race whose role was to stop planet's lifeforces from dying and to rejuvinate their spirit...sort of planet doctors in a way. Unfortunately for humankind, their destructive ways and abusement of Earth's resources had meant that they had to be dealt with...the aliens were the doctors and the humans were the disease in their patient. What did doctors do to diseases? Eradicated them. They had a strict no killing policy of other races...although in Jeremy's opinion killing would have been kinder.

Instead of mindless violence these telepathic beings had sent a kind of coded message mentally to everyone on Earth. Those who were deemed 'kind at heart' or ' not guilty' or something about peaceful potential had been immune to the message but those who weren't...Jeremy broke out in goosebumps despite the warm summer evening just thinking about it. That was the reason the major governing nations all over the planet had succumbed within a few hours. Power hungry people, corrupt natured people according to this race's standards resided in parliaments...which explained how 98% of the worlds most powerful figures were currently muttering to themselves or acting like they hadn't taken their psychotics medication.

" It had to be done Jeremy, you were killing Gaia...Mother Earth. Those who are pure at heart are saved and can pave the way to the new world, people like you Jeremy. My race are peaceful people, we are healers. We shall heal you, your race and your planet so you can live happily to...in peace with the planet you call home."

Her melodic voice, almost musical in tone had his body relaxing against his will despite the voice in his still shrieking at him to run away from the destructor of the human race, of their seemingly once sturdy but in reality fragile society.

Like any other 20 year old straight male who had eyes he was physically attracted to her, which only aggravated him more. His fragile reality had been shattered all within a few hours, he didn't know where to go from here. He didn't know if his family and friends had been spared, he thought they were good people yet his Dad was the CEO of a mining company...his sister always threw her still lit cigarette buds on the ground. If this race was one of planet ' Eco warriors' then his friends definetly had lost their minds, like most other young males they cared more about how their cars sounded and looked rather than the emissions and toxic smoke their suped up vehicles were spewing out.

A light, cool touch on his wrist had him snapping out of his morbid thoughts and back to reality. Arisha was watchng him with a startling level of focus, the intensity of her gaze highlighting her iinhuman nature. Despite everything that had happened...the absurd events of the evening, he still couldn't help being drawn to the mythical yet humanoid woman in front of him. He was so screwed.

September 24, 2020 10:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.