4 comments

Fiction Happy Romance

Anya and Jayce walked hand in hand through the streets of Naples invigorated by the warm and bright afternoon sun taking in the unfamiliar but exciting sights sounds and smells of the neighborhood they were exploring. It was 3 yrs ago they had gotten married and this was their first holiday travel together. Initially the problem was agreeing on where they should go.


Anya had insisted on Italy while Jayce wanted to go to China to see The Great Wall. They went back and forth...haggling over the cost; the best time to go; where to stay; the best tour packages; and of course where would have the best food. They both of were in their 3rd year of a 4 year program at Johnson and Wales University known as one of the top culinary arts schools in the country. Their campus was located in Providence, RI. The lure of rich and tasty sauces with robust veggies over terrific pasta, along with warm hearty crusty loaves of fresh baked bread, meant that Anya got her wish in the end. Anya was glad she didn't have to go full brat and pout mode to get her way.


Their dream was to open their own sidewalk cafe featuring a monthly rotation of vegetarian & vegan rice dishes from around the world. They would call it "Rice Is Nice!" cafe.


So far in the 2 days they had been there they had sampled many tasty treats from street vendors and eaten at a local eatery near the B n B they were staying in. It was a delicious dinner called Timballo Alberoni which is a magnificent creation of macaroni, shrimp sauce, mushrooms, butter and cheese......baked as a pasta pie.


Today Jayce was in search of an eggplant parmesan dish that he could modify and pair with some black wild rice....as they walked up one sidewalk and back down another...wandering and taking turns into different shopping and market districts.

Anya was busy sampling any tasty confection they would happen upon snapping a picture of it if she thought a vegan version could be duplicated.


Jayce finally decided on a place called  

 Trattoria Gourmet a small unassuming spot with a couple of sidewalk tables; but they decided to be seated inside where the lovely aroma of butter garlic and fresh herbs filled their noses immediately.


Jayce scanned the menu for eggplant parmesan while Anya decided on Arancini. A dish consisting of rice and cheese formed into balls and fried along with Ribollita a hearty bread and vegetable soup made up of leftover bread and cannellini beans, kale, cabbage, and other vegetables such as carrot, beans, chard, celery, potatoes, and onion

After the waiter had gotten their order and removed the menus heading to fill their beverages. They moved closer to each other in the round booth to watch a soccer game showing on a flat screen that was mounted in a corner to the left of them.


The decor was 'farmhouse chique' with re-purposed barn wood creating an atmosphere that was warm and cosy. The air was filled with festiveness; trills of laughter and good natured arguments going on all around them.



Jayce's dimples showed as they always did when he smiled and Anya's smile beamed from her eyes when she smiled back at her husband. They reached for each other's hand and squeezed. After 20 minutes their entrees arrived. Jayce rubbed his hands together in gleeful anticipation and Anya nearly bounced in her seat like a 5 yr old when her food was placed in front of her.


Jayce closed his eyes as he forked his first bite of hot cheesy eggplant parmesan into his mouth.Anya to his left popped the Arancini ball in her mouth relishing the exquisite taste. Both of them in their own state of palate paradise.


It wasn't long before each of them were digging in into the others food...comparing and boasting on whose was best. They decided not to finish their entire very healthy portions but instead asked for take home containers. They didnt want to be too full and miss dessert!


They had already had Graffa...a yummy sugar-coated fried donut and Zeppola a classic pastry made with flour and water; then the dough is deep-fried and topped with powdered sugar and filled with custard and three black cherries.


So they wanted a new sugar high they never tasted before. After much perusing of the dessert menu

Anya ordered Cannoli; fried pastry dough rolled up into a tube and filled with a sweet ricotta cream. The ends are then coated in pistachio crumbs, chocolate chips, or studded with candied fruit. She chose the pistachio crumbs for hers. 


Jayce was having a hard time deciding between Torta Barozzi a lavish dessert originally known as 'black cake' made of almonds, peanuts, coffee and dark chocolate or Seadas a round puff pastry shell that is filled with fresh cheese before being sealed, deep-fried and covered with honey. This treat was originally created in Sardinia Italy but later found popularity in most all regions of the country.


Finally he ordered the Torta Barozzi much to the waiters pleasure who had come back a few times to check their progress.


Anya and Jayce had no problem wiping their dessert plates clean. Feeling tight bellied they drank a Caffe d'orzo to help with digesting the woderful meal they had eaten. 'Orzo' for short is an espresso-styled drink a caffeine-free roasted grain beverage made from ground barley. The Orzo wrapped up their lovey dining experience.


 Jayce convinced Anya to take a brisk scenic stroll before heading back to the B n B to burn off some of the calories they had acquired from dinner and dessert. They walked to a nearby park along side a riverbank just enjoying the breezy night and each others company.


Preparing to leave was bitter sweet. Their time in Naples came to an end too soon; for after only five amazing days of La Bella Figura....."the beautiful shape" a revered Italian principle of being the most beautiful you can be, all the time, in every way Anya and Jayce were on a flight headed home to continue their own principle of life. Live, Love, Eat!!

July 01, 2021 01:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Anna Kerr
21:18 Jul 07, 2021

Nice story! Really made me hungry reading!! Haha

Reply

Andrea Magee
22:29 Jul 07, 2021

Thank you....glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen `Woods
12:08 Sep 20, 2021

I love these food dweebs, it was nice to get some explanation of what their meal consisted of ingredient wise. Thanks for Writing!

Reply

Andrea Magee
14:30 Sep 20, 2021

Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.