The 20 & Back

Submitted into Contest #140 in response to: Write a story that involves a flashback.... view prompt

5 comments

Adventure Fantasy Science Fiction

The 20 & Back

It started when I was five. A man in a grey suit came to take me away. I can’t quite remember his face. Every time I try to do that it just slips from the corners of my mind like a fish out of water. It bugs me. Because he’s the one who started it all. Or so I thought at the time. I remember the soft texture of his hand as he took mine in his. It was warm and I felt safe. Safe enough to walk out of the play area, where I spent so many hours every day, and leave with him. That wasn’t the first time I saw him. He used to show up every now and then and stand behind a tree. Watching us. Then I’d blink and he’d simply disappear. Like a phantom. I didn’t think he was real. I asked Tim, one of my foster friends back then, if he can see the man in a grey suit looking at us. He thought I was seeing things. “There’s nothing but trees, Colton.” He’d say. I never liked the foster home where I lived. I guess that’s part of the reason why I went with the man in a grey suit in the first place. I wanted to get away.

            I remember walking through the lush forest of Boulevard Park. With the long, pointy trees. The dried leaves would crackle under our shoes. I’d look up at the man, guiding me to the unknown. Now that I think about it, his head was too big for his body. Was it a helmet? I recall him staring down at me with large, bulging eyes. Insect-like. That’s not right. I don’t want to remember his face anymore. But I did like the sound of his voice. It was soothing. Comforting. 

            “Do you know where we’re going, Colton?” 

            I remember shaking my head. “No.” 

            “You’ll see.” He had said. “It’s a magical house. Where many boys and girls get to learn all kinds of tricks. They’re about your age. They’re special. Just like you.”

            “Will I get to play with them?”

            “Yes. They can’t wait to meet you. If you like it there, I can take you to visit every week, how does that sound?” 

            I smiled, “I like that.” 

            There was a pungent smell of rain. I heard the croaking of small animals, and I knew we were nearing a creek. 

            “Get ready.” The man with the big head said, “We’re about to enter the secret door.” 

            I looked ahead and saw nothing but green branches. 

“What door?” 

He didn’t say anything. Or maybe he did. I can’t recall every single detail. The film of pictures in my head is more like a mirage. I might have imagined this part. Because one minute we were walking down a needle-covered path and the next we were somewhere else. A facility of some sort. I remember my eyes stinging from the exposure of white lights. Then I saw people. They were short and young like me. The adults looked more like Mr. Grey Suit. They watched us with intrigue. I met kids my age. Tyler, Lily, and Mario. They called this place the magical house. It wasn’t really a house, it was much, much bigger. Enormous. With fast trains and high ceilings. So high you’d think it’s the sky. We got to play on bouncy castles and eat colorful, cubes made of jell-o. The jell-o made us sick at times. I remember vomiting once, or twice. But Mr. Grey Suit said it was normal. That none of us should worry. The more we eat from the jell-o the better our stomachs got accustomed to it. I didn’t know what he meant by that. I was just a kid. 

Every other week, I’d visit the magical house with Mr. Grey Suit. I’d play with Mario, Tyler, and Lily. Eat the jell-o, get sick, and then take a nap. When I woke up, I’d find myself back in my bed at the foster home. Not knowing how I got there. The cycle would repeat every week. Until I was eight. I think it was my birthday when the three of us got so sick we had to stay overnight at the magical house. The adults took care of us and put us in adjacent rooms. Separated by glass. The night wasn’t my favorite of all nights. I was in pain for hours. My stomach hurt, so did my head. I remember my eyelids growing heavier with exhaustion. I just wanted to it to go away. It was too dark sometime at midnight when I heard a voice. It was Mario. I remember slowly opening my eyes. The pain was gone. I watched him grin at me from behind the glass.

“Mario?”          

“Colton, look.” He had said, wiggling his hands. 

This is going to sound strange, but I remember sparks spitting out of Mario’s fingers. It created a ball of light around him. It was beautiful. I sat up in my bed and observed him create flares of fire. 

“How did you do that?” I asked. 

“I don’t know! I just woke up able to do this. Maybe you can do it, too?”

I stared at my fingers in the dark. Wiggled them. Nothing happened. I shook my head. 

“Hey, look at me!” 

Mario and I turned to look at Lily’s room. She wasn’t in her bed. 

“Over here.” 

We looked up. There she was. Her arms spread out. Legs peddling in the air. Her brown hair cascaded behind her shoulders. Gown fluttering. “I can fly!” 

“Wow!” I remember being in complete awe. 

The two of them were giggling. 

“This is awesome!” Mario was ecstatic about his new magical trick. He’d punch the air, releasing balls of swirling blaze. Like fireworks. 

“What about me?” I had said. “Why can’t I do anything?” I jumped out of bed. My feet sunk into the marble floor. Crushing it. “What-?”

Mario laughed. “Your feet, Colton!” 

It was like I weighed a thousand ton. But I was still me. How could that happen? I didn’t feel heavier. I tried it again. Kicking my foot into the floor. It went right through it, as if it was made of paper. I smirked, despite myself. I quickly turned to the bed and grabbed the metal frame. I lifted it off the floor. Up, up, over my head. 

“Hey, look!” 

“Woah!”

“You’re strong, Colton!” 

 We weren’t aware at the time, but the adults, such as Mr. Grey Suit, were watching us from their computers. They watched us with intrigue. 

*****

Years went by and I was 17. My visits to the magical house were more frequent. But nobody from my world knew about it. None of my friends, or teachers. I’d sneak out to meet Mr. Grey Suit in the forest. I’d miss seeing Mario, Lily, and Tyler. They’re the best people I ever knew. We’d practice in large, padded rooms. They gave us weapons. Staggering suits of armor. Mario, 18 at the time, was able to blow up entire buildings. Lily was super agile and as fast as a bullet. I became strong enough to lift vehicles, smash rocks, and throw projectiles at tremendous speed. Tyler was able to shapeshift. Many of the other kids had the same tricks as ours. Some had new ones. Like going through walls or turning water into ice. It was the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. But at the end of the day, we were instructed to go back to the real world. And our tricks would be gone. We’re back to being normal teens. Mr. Grey Suit said it’s the way it is. We can’t take our tricks back to our worlds. I wanted to show everyone what I was able to do. But it was a secret. I couldn’t tell anyone. 

            One day, and just as we were rolling into our twenties, the adults with bi heads at the magical house told us that we’re experienced enough now to defend Aryana. 

“Where’s that?” Tyler had asked. 

“They’re our friends. Their world is under our world.” 

Whatever that meant. I didn’t ask too many questions. But that’s when my memories become a little fuzzy. I can’t remember much from those battles. We fought against armies. Gigantic, beetle monsters. With a million eyes. It was horrific, but incredibly marvelous at the same time. We got to meet the people of Aryana. Sleep in their tall castles. Drink their wine. I didn’t want to leave. I don’t how much time we spent at war. The years seemed to fuse into one knotted skein of chaotic images and long faces. So many of them. I can barely remember where I’ve met them all. But at the end we’ve won the war. I remember that because it was my birthday again. We had a feast at the grand castle. It was magical.

Before I knew it I was 25. Mr. Grey Suit came over to me then and told me that it’s time. 

“Time for what?” I had said. 

“It’s time your adventure ends. This is the last time you’ll be able to go through the secret door.” I still can’t quite remember his face. His large, bulging eyes are all I can picture now. I remember he harbored sorrow in them. Desolation.

“But I don’t want to leave. I want to stay and fight more battles. Save more worlds.”

“We give a chance for other kids to experience the 20 & Back adventures. It’s been 20 years in your case, Colton. It’s been a good run.” 

I didn’t know what to say, I was heartbroken. Mouth so dry I can still feel it now. “I won’t see my friends from this world again?” 

“I’m afraid not.” He shook his head. “You’ll be five again once you leave here. Start over. You’ll get to make new friends at your world. Without any magical tricks.”

“I’ll be small again?” 

“That’s the way the 20 & Back works.” 

He was right. By the time I was back to my world I was five years old again. I couldn’t remember anything at first, but then memories started coming back to me as I grew older. Bit by bit. I wouldn’t call it a flashback or anything. It’s more like shards of glass trying to glue themselves back together in my head. Some bigger pieces are missing. Flying out of my reach. I can’t seem to catch them. Pieces of roads, crystal mountains, and colossal, floating octopuses. Nothing but an illusion. Or so I think. It’s all I can remember now, anyway. I’m an old man. Almost 76. I sit on my porch every day, watching the forest of long, pointy trees. Nothing but trees. Wishing that Mr. Grey Suit would show up again. But he never does. I don’t think I’ll ever see him again.   

April 08, 2022 11:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Graham Kinross
14:11 Apr 17, 2022

Interesting. I don’t think I’ve ever read about anyone who looks back fondly on being kidnapped and used as a child soldier. I’m guess it’s supposed to have happened but it comes off almost like the “it was all a dream” ending. Does the man in the grey suit have memory powers?

Reply

R. Sadeh
19:32 Apr 17, 2022

Hey Graham! I think it's meant to read as foggy, so the reader is left wondering whether it happened or not. The grey suits are clearly not human and may have been able to alter their memories. But it's all part of the mystery!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeannette Miller
15:54 Apr 12, 2022

Well done :) A mix of fantasy and action! I like the adventure he goes on and eventually remembers. A little creepy being kidnapped and used as a weapon, but still, a great story :)

Reply

R. Sadeh
20:59 Apr 12, 2022

Thank you! I think to the reader this is supposed to be haunting, but to the protagonist these are good memories. And that's because his brain chose to remember the 'good' memories verses the 'bad' and traumatizing ones.

Reply

Jeannette Miller
23:09 Apr 12, 2022

I can totally see that. As a parent, it's creepy; but, as a kid I can see his point of view :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.