0 comments

Fiction Suspense Thriller

I walked down the narrow footway, clutching my cardigan tighter around my body with each step. I normally would never do this. I hated it, but my husband, Ryan, forced me into going against my will.

"Come on, Aimee. If you never go out, you'd never meet new people."

"But that's the whole point!" I had counter-argued.

Obviously, it was not strong enough as here I was, in the cold and holding a container of cookies to give to my neighbors.

No, I did not bake them.

I never really understood the whole concept of giving things to someone else that just moved in next door. It's not my business to know who they are unless the attention is wanted. I'd say the one that wanted the attention was the fool that started this whole "tradition."

Slowing my steps, I plastered my most infamous fake smile and exhaled white air into the atmosphere. A buzzing sound erupted as I pressed a button on the gate and stood, waiting for the large metal figure to move.

We lived in a gated community, meaning everything was quiet, and everyone minded their own business – some exercising that factor a little less than others – but somehow this house seemed different. I couldn't quite place my tongue on what it was that disturbed me from deep within.

I rehearsed my strategy of escape in my head: Greet, smile, be polite, give the container and leave. Simple. Shouldn't last longer than a second.

My slender hand, as Ryan called it, reached out and tapped on the door. For the minute it was supposed to take me to converse and go, was a minute I was left waiting.

Confused, I considered the fact that no one was home and in the moment of turning around, the doors opened. The lady that stood in front of me was taller by at least three inches and had a dull, lime green dress on that was knee-length too long for my taste.

"Hi, there!" Her voice was unusually high-pitched as if distressed, and her eyes got slightly wider.

"Hi! I'm Aimee from next door. I wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood." I was sure to keep my smile light and tone pleasant.

"How lovely." She looked like she was much at unease that I wondered if someone else was behind me.

"Um, I brought cookies as a welcome gift." I stretched out the package towards her. "I do hope you get set-"

"Oh yes, yes come in. How rude of me."

Before I had time to object (once again), she pulled me by the hand and closed the door in the quickest speed possible that I didn't know she obtained.

For a very modern looking house on the outside, it did not reflect much on the inside. The wall paint was peeled and dull, and cobwebs existed on almost every corner. Maybe they bought the house early and moved in late? Perhaps, but unusual as you'd expect people to want to move in as quickly as possible.

The house seemed cold but not the type of cold outside. Rather the type of cold that ran through your veins with an empty feeling.

Why couldn't Ryan be here instead?

She ushered me in the living-room and physically sat me down by pushing on my shoulders.

"I really shouldn't-"

"Nonsense, child. It's really my pleasure." Everything in her voice screamed otherwise.

"I'm sorry, who are you?"

"Refreshments?"

My brows furrowed in disappointment but I was sure to cover it up just as quick. Before I could question her again, she left, and I was left alone to drown in unease.

Who was this woman? Was she alone? Why am I getting goosebumps, and not the good kind?

I jumped in my seat as a scratching noise sounded from...under me? Or was it above?

"Those damn cats." The lady explained as she must've seen the look of horror that passed my face. She handed me a glass of what I would like to assume was orange juice but did not produce the smell it should've. Her veiny hand retracted. She couldn't have looked any younger than 50.

I took one sip. Never again.

"Very nice here."

"Huh?" I turned to look at her from noticing there were no pictures hung anywhere.

"Quiet." She continued, gesturing to the house.

"Oh."

We sat in silence. I felt her eyes watching me, burning a hole in me. I was left uncomfortable and unsure of what to say. There seemed a dark shadow that loomed over her and reeked of rotten meat if it was able to smell as bad. The scratching sounded again, and my eyes involuntarily looked up.

"Jamie!"

My heart jumped up to my throat from the horrid screech of the lady's voice. If anything could become even creepier, old wooden steps creaked from the weight of something descending. Or someone, as at the bottom stood a young, dirtied girl with tangled hair that looked as if she had not bathed in weeks.

"Make sure the cats are taken care of."

Something clearly passed between them because the lady's eyes spoke more volumes than her words. The girl, Jamie, didn't say anything except for her own eyes widening with what seemed to be fear. Without a word, she ran off. I couldn't take being in this house anymore.

"I must go." I stood abruptly. Within a second, so did she.

"No. Why don't you stay longer?"

I moved towards the door. She stepped in front of me and blocked my way.

"We do love visitors."

Something in her tone told me that she was not going to let me go, no matter what. The feeling in my gut intensified. It took everything in me to not barf right there.

"Your restroom, may I use it?" Lightly clutching my stomach, I stumbled the way she pointed, which was down the passage. I must've gotten turned around somewhere because I was at the end of a different passageway. I swayed in the steps that I took and started to see double of everything.

What the hell was wrong with me?

I grabbed onto a door handle and pushed. Nothing happened. I pushed harder. It still didn't give in. Panic spread through me, and I put all of my weight into opening the door when it finally gave in. I lost my footing from the force and fell to the cold, cemented floor.

"Ugh."

My hand flew up to my forehead as I opened my eyes. As they adjusted, a small whitish figure came into focus next to me. What was that? Did it look like a...bone? I almost laughed at myself. That's disgusting. But as my eyes adjusted further, more whitish images were spread in front of me to see.

The stench finally reached my nostrils as I inhaled. I gaged. It was the smell of rotten bones, seemingly months old. Maybe more, maybe less. An elbow stretched over my nose, shielding me as best as it could from the foulness that surrounded the room. Movement in the corner of my eye made my body rigid as a rock.

What sounded like a heavy chain dragged on the floor, and everything fell into a dead silence. The only light source I had came from the door, so trying to peer further in was something I was incapable of doing. I strained my eyes when my ears heard it first.

"Help me." A shadowed face emerged from the darkness from what could be a girl that seemed eight years old.

I gasped and jerked back so hard that I got back to my feet. They were human bones! Human bones from dead people.

"They are rather annoying, are they not...the cats?" The lady stood behind me and had the most sickening smile on her face.

Without another thought, I pushed her as hard as I could and ran down the passage, hearing a loud "thump" as her body hit the floor.

My breaths were quick and hot, having my heart painfully push against my chest. I needed to get out. My feet made sounding noises as I ran towards the door and exited. The cold air whacked me in the face all at the same time.

I had one objective, and I planned on fulfilling it.

I climbed the tall, black gate. Yes, I climbed it and was quite clumsy as I slipped and bruised my knees and elbow on the way down. With adrenaline still pumping in me, I ran to my house, locked the door and went into the kitchen. Leaning over the sink, I sighed in relief, feeling every tensed muscle relax slightly. Just as I wiped my elbow clean, Ryan walked into the kitchen.

"How were they?"

I blamed this on Ryan. If he had just let me mind my own business, none of this would've happened. As I said, we're a community where everyone minds their own business, and everything is quiet.

"They're interesting people." I turned around and plastered my most infamous fake smile on my face. 

October 21, 2020 22:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.