A goodbye to save you?

Submitted into Contest #47 in response to: Suitcase in hand, you head to the station.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure

A small suitcase and a few necessities were all you had right now. Selena was running out of time, who knows how close they were? One thing she knew is that if she didn't get out of this place right now. Selena would be stuck here forever. They were close if she could manage to get on this train, it would at least give her a head start. Selena pulled out a small pouch from her jacket pocket to make sure its content was still there. It was this constant feeling that she needed to make sure it was still exactly where it was the last fifty times she checked. Every few minutes in the same pocket. It was still there. She returned the small pouched back into her pocket. There wasn't time to be afraid anymore. The worst was coming, all she had to do now was try and get there before anyone realised. It wasn't fair what was about to happen, it would cause so much fear ad sadness, but there was still a chance, Selena just had to keep it safe otherwise everyone else would be in a lot of danger. 

Selena looked to the sign. Only 2 minutes had passed since she last checked, she sighed before pulling the pouch out again. It was a small, old, brown pouch but what was in it was so valuable it should have been put in a safe and the key should have been destroyed, however, that wasn't an option. Returning the pouched to her pocket and looked up at the sky. Was she ever going to see them again? Closing her eye's she imagined his smile, it was so big and bright it rivalled the suns, but their laughter was so incredible as it had the power to make anyone, in a good mood, at least that how it was for you. 

Opening the small pouch once again, after hearing the train coming she just wanted to double-check she had it when she got on the train because there would be no returning to this place. Not that there would even be a place to return if she failed. You could see it now, the news only talking about the damage and destruction that took the lives of everyone here. It would only be anyone getting on a train today who would survive.  

Who would have ever imagined the small item that was in her pocket sitting snuggly had this much power. Selena smiled to herself no one would believe her if she told them that this ordinary-looking rock was the cause of the destruction of an entire city. However, like in any other unbelievable event, there was much more to this story. Selena and her partner had only joined the USRO recently known to very few people as the Unknow Scientific Research Organisation. They explored unnatural events that happened as it was the organisation's job was to make sure these unusual events were under control.

The rock was, unfortunately, a messenger asteroid it was used to send warning's to earth for the evil action that took placed such as war or people who were considered to turn into demons. it was all due to a freak accident a long time ago when something unhuman came to earth and placed a curse on the planet and all that lived on it after they saw the true face of human's. The USRO was put together to stop the deadly warning from causing chaos and disorder. It was too late to stop the main attack since it was already aimed for this area. The astroid still had to be destroyed or sent back to space where it would be unable to hurt anyone else. To stop the attack from destroying the entire planet. Selena took it upon herself to take the asteroid and fire it back into space. It was incredibly dangerous the attack was to follow the messager until the asteroid was destroyed. If Selena could head straight into the oncoming attack, the asteroid would be destroyed stopping the attack.

Right now. While the rest of her team was trying to sleep and get ready for an attack which would inevitably wipe them all out Selena was mentally preparing to head straight into the same attack and save them all. She was heading to another scientific research facility to gain a mode of transport that would help her crash into the attack in space. It was uncertain how strong the attack would be so the earlier Selena stopped it the better it would be. She imagined her partners face thinking about how this would be the only way to save him and everyone else she cared about. 

She pictured the evacuation of almost everyone from the city, it was unclear why the attack was happening here of all places but that didn't matter now. She had to focus on stopping this disaster. The train doors closed behind her and she made her way to an empty seat. she pulled out the small pouch after sitting down and glared down at the object in the pouch. This small rock would be the reason she would never be able to hear her partner's laugh ever again. If she failed it would all be for nothing and everything she loved would be blown to smithereens. She contacted the other organisations. Alerting them of the situation and her plan. They agreed to it. She sighed and looked out the window and smiled. At least is she succeeded he would still be able to challenge the sun with his smile. 

She dragged up her small suitcase and opened it to display a variety of snacks. If she had taken this many snacks to the organisation back home they would all already be finished. Her team just couldn't keep their hand away from her food. This would probably the last time she would eat all of her favourite snacks, she probably spent at least fifty pounds buying all of them. Well, today she was going to use everything she learnt from her friend and colleagues to save them ad even save herself. Since she was doing such a heroic act she thought she deserved a treat she smiled opening a bag of crisp. 

June 23, 2020 17:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ken Coomes
19:45 Jul 02, 2020

Great creativity and fresh ideas. The bones of the story are solid, the muscle and flesh need a little more toning (in my opinion.) I liked your character and related, and the humor you offered. It seemed to me there was a switch from 2nd person to 3rd person POV. And some things that proofreading and editing could easily fix. Keep writing - I read your bio commentary - you're absolutely right. Write every day, if you can, and you will hone your craft. I look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Reannah De Souza
10:19 Jul 03, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I can't wait to read more of your story's too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.