0 comments

Fiction Adventure Kids

Andrew’s room lit up as the golden rays of the sun entered the room. These rays bought a sense of serenity, a sense of peace which filled Andrew’s mind with positive energy. Today was Saturday, Andrew’s favourite day. partly, because it was a holiday and partly because he visits the library every Saturday. Today, his routine was no different. He got up, brushed, had a shower, stopped at a cafe for coffee and then headed straight to the library. Not able to drive, Andrew took a cab straight to the library. The library was quiet. Full of people, yet quite. Andrew could make out some familiar faces. He saw people from all age groups. Students reading and studying for exams, teachers trying to exercise for students, Old people reading for pleasure and just anyone who wanted a bit of peace. Andrew walked across the room, reaching his favourite section - fiction

The Bookshelf contained Andrew’s favourite books. The shelf had books from J.K Rowling, to Rick Riordan to Dan Brown. Although the books were Andrew’s favourite genre, the shelf was not. Andrew despised the shelf as it was the worst shelf in the library. It was red and rusted with scratch marks all over the shelf. One scratch always caught Andrew’s attention. It was shaped like a roughly drawn man asking for help. People said that a man died over here when the bookshelf fell over him. This always kept Andrew on his toes, always waiting for an ambush. Suddenly there was a rustle behind the bookshelf. Andrew walked towards the bookshelf and saw that it was shaking. A book fell from the bookshelf. When he picked it up, a trapdoor opened underneath and Andrew fell down. The room underneath was dark but fortunately, Andrew had a mobile phone. He could not call anyone due to no network but he was able to check out the room. The room had sleek walls made of copper, a ladder and a half decomposed skeleton. This really scared Andrew. Andrew knew what he had to do. He climbed to the top using a ladder, opened the lid and snuck out.

The library was pitch black and empty. He checked the time, it was 9:00pm. “It can’t be. I was in there for just 5 minutes.” Andrew thought to himself. Confused and scared, he sat down and went to sleep. At exact eleven, Andrew heard a rustling behind him. What he saw shocked himself. He saw all the books coming to life, waking, working and preparing for a party. Andrew thought he was either going crazy or dreaming. He pinched himself and rubbed his eyes. That pinch did hurt. He worked his way towards the books and asked them “what is happening.” A book with a blue green cover page said “ we are preparing for a party like we do everyday. We are enjoying our life at night.” "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." The book ordered everyone else. Andrew asked if this was their life and all of them said yes, except one. A small pocket encyclopaedia stepped forward. He was small compared to the other books. He said “I wish to get out of this library. I wish to get an owner. That is my destiny and I will continue to persevere.” The other books laughed and got back to work. The pocket encyclopaedia, refusing to help, sat down on the parapet.

Andrew recognised himself in the encyclopaedia. He also wanted to go abroad and study, but his parents never had the money. But after they won a lottery, they refused to send Andrew abroad to make his career. They said that he was too old for that. His goal of exploring the world had been crashed and dumped down deep to his heart. Right now, looking at the book, he remembered what it felt like to have one's dreams crushed and to love everyday to do something which one despised. This made Andrew feel for the encyclopaedia and sat next to him on the parapet. He asked the book, “What is your story?” The encyclopaedia started answering Andrew’s questions. The encyclopaedia said “I was made in California, my pages were printed and then sewn together. I was bought by an owner, used and then thrown away. The librarian found me and brought me to the library. She called me a small friend because I used to give her information about everything whenever she asked me. I could help her in tests, help her in discussions, etc. One day, she replaced me with a newer version of me, an updated version of me. She explained to me that my facts were now old. She locked me in a cabin with newspapers. I used to read the newspapers and update my facts till this day. The other books only know how to party. I really want to explore the world. “Me too, encyclopaedia, me too.” Andrew replied.

Andrew got an idea. He stood up and walked over towards the books. He suggested to them some ways to improvise their decorations and ways of partying. The small pocket encyclopaedia did not seem to like it and wore a frown on his face. One happy book said, “Don't give up on your dreams, or your dreams will give up on you." “You should try and persuade your parents on helping you follow your dreams.” “Also, you have the power to save someone else’s dream. Please let him relive his life.” At first, Andrew did not understand. But after he pondered upon the book's words, he understood that he can help someone follow their dreams.

The next morning, when the librarian opened the library door, she smiled at A drew and asked, “How was your night at the library?” Andrew replied “unique, but I would like to take the small encyclopaedia home.” The librarian agreed. Andrew told the encyclopaedia, come, let’s explore the world. On that happy note, both Andrew and the encyclopaedia left the library.

April 30, 2021 13:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.