0 comments

Fantasy Friendship Black

This was supposed to be the happiest day of their lives. I had grown used to this comment, spoken as it was by everyone; often accompanied by a sad shake of the head and the glimmer of tears. Though absent they were the center of conversation, Asai and Idui. But all I could think, curled up on the couch hugging a mug of tea in my hands musing in the quiet peacefulness of my abode; was that they probably were the happiest they’d ever been. A touch of sadness tinged my thoughts though it was much overwhelmed by happiness. My mind wandered back to that fateful day almost a week ago. How ordinary the day had started, and extraordinary it had ended.

Summer, time unknown:

Flakes of white clay fell to the ground joining the chunks already littering the wooden boards that made up my secret studio as I carefully carved feathers into the wings of my masterpiece. The bird didn’t exist in the physical world, but it did on Asai’s canvas and Idui’s paper. It was to be their birthday gift. My studio truly did look a mess - pieces of unfinished work all over the small room, placed on ‘pedestals’ like an upside down paint bucket, the box that contained marbles I often placed on my sculptures, the second stool where Asai often sat when she visited. A shattered mirror. A beaded pillow. Surrounding me were open jars of paint, some of said paint dripping down the sides. They were the most expensive paint on the market imported straight from the spice lands far off to the northeast. But they weren’t the main ones I was looking forward to using. I paused my work to look at the small can next to the big ones. It was a bright iridescent blue paint. I had made it myself. No one had the right color I needed so I had taken matters into my own hands mixing blue paint with white and crushing my precious marbles to make a sparkling dust. After a quick glance at the statue, I put my carving tools down and reached for the roller lying beside the paints its worn handle giving away its age. I poured a dollop of paint on the bird’s narrow chest and began to run my roller over it until the bird was coated in every crook and nanny, up and around its elegant neck, over the 2 pulled back prongs on the top of its head tipped with several tiny sparkling marbles of red, green and blue swirls. Its swimming dark brown eyes stared deeply into my own as I stood back to survey my handiwork. The bird, carved in mid-flight spanned 12 feet wide and 8 feet tall, all long neck and knobby legs. It sparkled, it shimmered, it glowed. It also looked exactly like it did on Asai’s Canvas. I couldn’t wait to show it to them. I walked to the room’s door and pulled it open yelling down the attic steps.

“Didi!” I called. A moment of pans clinking against a counter and then my older sister’s mischievous face appeared as she craned her neck around the corner like a swan.

“Finished?” She asked. I grinned back and nodded. She bobbed lightly around the corner and up the steps. I poke her button nose and she batted my hand away only slightly annoyed. We both knew today was an important day. She stared at the bird statue with her critical eyes.

“I think this is your best one yet.” She said eventually. I bobbed my head shyly.

“How long before it dries?” She asked.

“An hour,” I replied. “It should be more than enough time to finish the other preparations.” She nodded.

“I could use your help moving the foods and the furniture to the beach.” She said turning to look at me, an ever-burning excited glow lighting her eyes as if lit by an internal furnace. Together we left the room and bounced down the creaky old attic steps, down the second floor steps through to our humble living room and into to the kitchen which was full of supplies, pots, plates, cups, and utensils. I went to the full sink and turned the tap washing my hands of clay, paint, and marble bits before I threw myself into motion. I picked up a heavy stack of ceramic plates and carrying them placing my chin down like a buffer; walked out into the early afternoon sun, I blinked wincing as my eyes tried to adjust. I walked across the cobblestone path on the side of our small abode headed to the back of the house. The farther I got the louder the sound of crashing waves became. I couldn’t see the ocean yet blocked as it was by the big leafy trees planted in our meager backyard. Bracing my elbow on the fence and pressing my chin down I freed on hand to lift the latch and push open the gate door. I walked along the path outlined in Cowrie and painted Crab Shells.  My bare feet sank into the sun-warmed sand of pure red, bringing with it the familiar soothing feeling that I had always cherished. I walked over the huge sand dune that blocked the view of the seashore taking in the beautiful beach that never ceased to have something new and interesting.  This place often gave me much inspiration for my statues, however today – the beach was covered in tables and chairs. The big wooden tables newly made just for this occasion were already covered in mats and at least half of the food we had cooked over two days. I placed the plates down on the edge of the first table and jogged back up clothes flapping in the sea breeze which deposited salt on my lips. My sister was waiting at the door and she passed me another set of dishware, and that’s how it went for the next hour. Then we cleaned up the house, made our way down the stairs carefully balancing my heavy statue. We pulled one of my sister’s silken sheets out from her cabinet of fabrics and flung it over the gleaming masterpiece which stood beside the final table which was still empty. Then we stood back to admire our handiwork. Everything was in its proper place. Steam: carrying with it delectable scents wisped serenely from the still hot pots, the elaborate tablecloths blew in the breeze, the fruit was fresh and glistening with water. We smiled at each other.

“It’s great!” I said pleased. Didi nodded.

“All that’s left now is the guests of honor and the attendees.” We looked to the Sundial in our yard made of white stone and aquamarines.

“It’s almost time.” Didi said then swatted me toward the house.

“Go change, you shan’t be looking shabby when they get here.” I hustled off toward the house up to the second floor and into my small bedroom. Across from me out my window was the best view of the sea in the house. The blue expanse seemed to sparkle as if marble dust permeated the entire huge body of water. Briefly I drew the blinds so  I could change into a blue patterned dress secured by a gold linked collar that rested at my color bone and the gold strap around my waist which I swiftly tied into a bow. I held my long, twisted coils up into a ponytail at the top of my head tying them up with a red piece of fabric. I put my big hoops and ankle bracelet. After checking my green tinted reflection in my sea glass mirror, I jogged down the steps and back outside. I arrived at the beach right as the first guests arrived. Greetings were exchanged and seating arranged. Just as we finished another group of party attendees arrived, then another and another. Soon most of the chairs were filled and the usual serene silence of the beach was filled with chattering voices, rustling clothes, and playful yells of young children. Even a violin had come and was now playing a merry tune. The one empty table we had remaining was piled with presents of all shapes and sizes fit together like a complicated 3d puzzle. Then the guest of honor arrived. Walking over the high sand dune, the twins came side by side dressed in similar outfits of white. Asai - eyes sparkling with excitement smiled at me from a distance. Idui nodded in her quiet and powerful fashion. Opposites both of them though they looked like two peas in a pod. We all rose and clapped as they came over and they bowed in the formal fashion though Asai wobbled like a baby duck learning to walk. I choked back a laugh. Chairs were pulled out for them and food presented. I sidled up to the two.

“Idui greetings, Asai as clumsy as ever I see.” I said in an overdone solemn voice. Asai gave a cheeky smile in return. Idui nodded toward my covered statue.

“A big surprise that.” She observed, I smiled mysteriously.

“I don’t know.” I said tone demure. Asai pouted. Idui tilted her head in her classic thinking pose. I was glad to see that she didn’t seem able to figure it out.

“Open all the other presents then I’ll show you that one.” I told them both before retreating into the crowd of people and joining into the song which sounded like strong wind, rippling waves and shifting sands, accompanied by the Earth’s heartbeat made y our clapping hands and stomping feet. The twins gained new clothes, carved arrowheads, carving knives, new canvas for painting, a journal for the ever-writing Idui, yams from the recent harvest then all that was left was my statue. My heart started to race in nervous anticipation like it usually did when I presented my work to the public. The singing, clapping and stomping continued becoming background sound as my heart became the forefront. Regardless of my feelings I seized the corner of the fabric and whisked it away with a soft shkkkk from the statue revealing it in all its glorious beauty. There was a collective intake of breath and the singing and movement stopped. Asai and Idui’s shock lasted for several moments before a light seemed to come from within them lighting up their face with a peculiar kind of joy which seemed to me deeper than any I had ever seen before. Asai let out a choked cry which sound like a wordless emotion I could not name. Idui stepped forward followed by her sister. A cry of shock rose from the crowd switching my attention to them. Their eyes I realized were not on the twin or me but rather behind me. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted the shadow of the statues move. Shocked, I turned around and stared dumbstruck. Before me standing regally on its knobby legs was the bird. Its wings were tucked, and its glittering blue feathers blew in the wind. Its eyes once marble were now absolutely real and focused upon the twins who I could dimly hear coming up behind me.  The marbles on the pulled back prongs at the top of its head were now glowing membranes. The bird was alive. My statue was alive. I knew without knowing how I knew that I wasn’t hallucinating. A long-fingered hand landed on my shoulder startling me and I twirled around. Idui smiled at me,

“You have outdone yourself this time, Andi.” She said. I opened my mouth to ask but nothing came out. Idui seemed to understand anyway as she walked past me to touch the birds plumage.

“This is Ramaru. A spirit bird of Egungun. Spirits, Ancestors long dead.” She said softly.

“He’s was ours, our pet who died at the same time as we did.” Asai continued coming over to the bird and sinking her fingers into its plumage as well.

“But when we died, we feared what was beyond, so we ran away back to earth.” Idui continued an age-old regret in her soft voice. All small part of my mind screamed at me that this was all impossible, but everything else seemed to sense the truth in her voice and swiftly drowned the voice.

“We, after several millennia. After watching our friends and family die. After the world we knew changed. After civilizations rose and fell, as we watched languages learned and lost within short spans of time; grew to wish to leave. We were ready to face the beyond. Longed for it even. We began to dream of this blue bird. A breed of a bird called Heron which existed back when huge buildings and transportation called cars and bus and trains existed. We lived near a river when we were alive which has now long since become part of the ocean. We found an injured baby heron, nursed it back to health. Ramaru. We died in a fire when he was an adult. He had journeyed to the beyond and now he came back for us. But we could not figure out how to reach him.” A tear formed in Asai’s eyes. One falling unheeded disappearing into the sand.

“Until now. You have given us our way home.” Asai turned to me and grabbed my hands.

“Thank You. You have been the best of friends both you and your sister.” Behind her Idui hoisted herself up onto the big bird’s back. She held out a hand to her sister as Asai turned round and grabbed it. She also hoisted herself up and in my dazed mind I realized what was about to happen.

“Wait.” I began as the bird unfurled and began to beat is huge wings stirring up mini sand tornadoes. Holding a hand up to protect my eyes I called out again.

“Wait!” I had so many questions I still wanted to ask…

Present

…But I never would get the chance I thought sadly. No one else, I found out afterward had heard much of the conversation after the beginning and believed that death had come to steal them away on their birthday and that their tear were ones of grief and sorrow rather than joy. I had never bothered to correct anyone. I though did hold one regret. That I never did get the answers I now yearned for because by then it was too late.

THE END

November 19, 2020 17:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.