2 comments

Horror Thriller Adventure

It's a quiet Friday night, and we have just arrived at our cabin in the middle of the woods. The air is dry, and the sun has just started setting. Me and my boyfriend have decided to go on a little vacation, away from our stressful jobs back home in Los Angeles. I have been stressed over work and tired all week trying to meet deadlines, we haven't been able to hang out or have some alone time with one another, so this was a perfect getaway to relax.


The drive wasn't too bad; we loaded our bags, grabbed snacks, and sang karaoke the whole way through. As we approached the road that leads into the cabin, I instantly had a bad feeling as if my stomach was in knots. I don't know what it was, but the road had suddenly disappeared into a dirt path, and there were no other cabins or people on site. Since we had just arrived, I didn't think anything of it and didn't want to spook my boyfriend out.


We unload our car and head inside into this beautiful rustic cabin. It was spacious and instantly felt like home; we couldn't believe it. After settling in, I had a look outside while my boyfriend showered; I felt so free. Tall green trees, birds chirping, and a small lake were nearby.


As I head back in, I notice something run by the trees. I walk over quietly to get a look and see someone crouching by a bush. As I approach the bush, I see a dark figure run out and disappear into trees. I ran back into the cabin, and my boyfriend could see the worry on my face; I was pale and scared. I told him what I had just seen, and he ran out to see if he could get a glimpse, but the figure was long gone.


I explained everything, and he suggested we get out immediately, but I reassured him that nothing happened and no one got hurt. It was a weird feeling seeing that figure near the bush; I felt saddened and in pain as soon as I got close enough, like it was trying to tell me something. Although it was a dark figure, I could only make out that it had long hair and was about my height. It was our first night at this cabin, and I didn't feel we needed to pack up and leave; at least stay the night and see how it went. A few hours go by, and nothing unusual has happened since encountering the dark figure.


We spent the next few hours watching movies, eating, and enjoying each other's company. After falling asleep on the couch, I got up to use the bathroom but noticed the door slightly cracked. I was sure we locked the door, so I took a peek outside and didn't see anything to worry about; maybe the wind blew it open. As I head to the bathroom, I see the dark figure standing in the hallway staring at me. I couldn't make out a face, but it wasn't moving. I walk closer, and the figure vanishes inside the bedroom. I ran to open the bedroom door, but it was already gone.


I searched the room and couldn't find the figure anywhere but noticed something written on the mirror that said, "Without the dark, there isn't light. Without the pain, there is no relief." I had no clue what that meant but quickly wiped it away, and I hadn't spoken about it to my boyfriend since I wanted to enjoy our stay. We spent the next couple of days hanging out with each other on our getaway, reminiscing, and making goals we would like to accomplish in the future.


The rest of the time there went smoothly, and the figure was never seen around the cabin again. It's the last day at the cabin, and we have the car packed and ready to leave. It was a wonderful stay, but I couldn't get that message on the mirror out of my head the whole drive home. We get home and have a little time to unwind before returning to our busy, hectic lives.


Days passed, and I kept thinking of that dark figure, so I searched the cabin online one night. Nothing mysterious happened there, and there were no reported crimes in the area, so what did we see that day? I spent countless nights trying to find answers but returned empty each time. I received no more hidden messages, and the figure was never seen around us again. Me and my boyfriend went on with our lives for the next couple of years; I kept a lookout just in case it decided to return, but nothing.


I had just graduated college, and things were looking good career-wise. My boyfriend and I got engaged and moved into a beautiful house where we could settle down and grow old; it was everything I had dreamed of.


One night, lying in bed while my boyfriend went out to get food for us, I felt a breeze from my bedroom door. I called out for my boyfriend but noticed he hadn't come home yet and nobody had opened the windows, so I looked around. I headed into the bathroom, where somebody had dimmed lights, but no one was there. I called out to see who it was, no answer. I walk over to the mirror, and the same quote on the cabin mirror had been written in my bathroom, "Without the dark, there isn't light; without the pain, there is no relief." I didn't understand what was happening and turned around and saw the same dark figure staring back at me. I stared deeply into its eyes and noticed a familiar face; it was me.


All the darkness and sadness that I had bottled up inside me. Although I looked happy on the outside, I was sad and lonely on the inside. I always kept the truth locked up and didn't want to speak to anyone about what I was going through because of how they would treat me. I had all these dark thoughts and never thought I would have a bright and successful future, but I did. I stopped comparing myself to others and accepted that this is who I am.


I didn't let the darkness control me, and that was a part of my life I learned to let go. I found love and learned to love myself for who I was. That shadow was a part of my life for quite a while, but it was time to let go, so I gave myself one last hug and said goodbye forever to the old me.

September 11, 2023 02:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Hannah Lynn
22:41 Sep 19, 2023

Your story kept me intrigued the whole way through. I think we all have that dark side lurking around -some times more prominently than others.

Reply

Justina G
12:22 Sep 20, 2023

Thanks so much and I agree, we put on a smile everyday but have our struggles we have to deal with behind closed doors.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.