0 comments

Friendship Fantasy Fiction

   Moira was not having a good day. The catering company was not doing well, she thought as she sat at her desk going through figures. She rifled through pages, organizing, and reorganizing but the numbers did not lie. If something did not turn around soon, she knew, it would be back to job hunting and selling her soul. She checked her website, no new orders. Not even any inquiries. What was she doing wrong? She wondered and reached for her coffee cup. The liquid was cold and faintly lumpy, and she nearly spit it out. Great, she thought, and tossed the paper cup in the bin.

               The phone rang and Moira dove for the receiver. Picking it up on the second ring she cleared her throat and answered.

               “Good morning, thank you for calling Unseen Cuisine. Moira speaking, How can I help?”

               “Good morning, this is Adam Clyde, calling from the Calico book shop, how are you?” A deep voice resounded from the other end of the line. The voice sounded vaguely familiar, but she couldn’t place.

               “Doing great Adam, thanks so much for asking. What can we do for you today?” there was a pause and Moira wondered if she should have asked him how he was doing before jumping into business. She should have a customer service rep doing this, she thought, all she could really do was cook. She chewed on her lip, fingers crossed, hoping that maybe this would be a job, an honest to goodness job!

               “Well Moira, it's like this, I have an event that is rather last minute. A good friend of mine is having a birthday and we are setting up something of a surprise party.”

               “That sounds lovely” Moira said, a little wistfully. Her own birthday was coming up and she thought this year might be a champagne for one scenario. Ever since she had moved here, it had been lonely. It had only been a few months since she had opened the doors to her dream, but it had cost her. All her friends, family were back East, and she was alone here. It had been what she wanted but now it felt a little hollow.

               ”How many people are you expecting?” she asked, getting back to business.

               “Hopefully around 10, but I’d like to plan for at least 15. Better too much than not enough. There is only one small stipulation. I would require you to attend the party as well.”

               “I-I’m not sure that’s possible, our name is Unseen Cuisine, that usually means the staff and myself are well, unseen.”

               “I am certain that if you dress up for the occasion, no one will recognize you as the caterer. I’m afraid I must insist. This is an especially important party, and we will need to make sure that someone is there to ensure it goes well. Is that going to be a problem?” She agonized for a moment.

She was not great at parties where she knew no one. She felt the anxiety begin to rise as she looked down over her desk. She needed the money; this wouldn’t exactly save her business, but it was a start. So what, if she had to put on a dress and (god forbid) makeup and actually go out in public. Maybe she could get someone to go to her place? Pretend to be her? And maybe there were bunnies on the moon she thought resignedly and sighed heavily before answering.

               “Of course, it would be no problem. What theme are you going with for this event?”

               “We were thinking of something sci fi. I heard that is your specialty?” a million ideas began to circulate in her head, and she smiled hugely. A sci fi themed party in a book shop. Suddenly this sounded kind of awesome.

               “I can do that!” she said, voice sounding genuinely enthusiastic for the first time since the call began.

               They discussed the details as she scribbled notes onto her pad. They came up with a reasonable price and, satisfied, Moira hung up. She jumped out of her chair and did a whoop of delight. She had a gig, she thought smiling to the point of a sore jaw. She marked it on the calendar and marveled for a moment that suddenly instead of being alone, she was going to spend her birthday doing her dream job, then attending a sci fi party. It was amazing, she thought, how quickly a day could turn around.

               Moira planned out the meal, turning everything into something alien and exotic. She dug out the huge box from the storage room marked Halloween and set to untangling the fairy lights. There was a roll of green lights she knew would be perfect. She had a vision in her mind of how the place was going to look, and she smiled as she loaded everything she needed into her tiny car.

               The Calico bookshop was a small shop tucked away in a corner of the seaside promenade. It was cozy and warm, filled with old books and table lamps, cobwebs, and mystery. Already she could see that here would not be much room to wander around. She made her way along the bookshelves, a hand trailing along the spines absently. She wondered if they would be able to move some of the shelves out of the way before a hand on her shoulder surprised her.

               “Moira?” he was tall, with sandy hair and grey eyes, a sheepish, crooked smile on his lips. Moira’s eyes widened a little as she did a cat call whistle inside her own head. This man was beautiful!

               “Yes, that’s right, you must be Adam?” he nodded and took his hand from her shoulder.

               “I tried calling your name but you were distracted. I did not mean to presume. Let me show you the area where we will be hosting the party. Please follow me.”

               He led her through the stacks of books and through a blue door at the back of the building. A short hallway led out onto a covered patio large enough for the party. The place needed a good cleaning and some furniture, but Moira could see the potential. She took a walk around the perimeter, found all the plug-in areas and hooks, deciding then that she would swath this place in iridescent fabrics. An image was playing in her mind and the excitement of it thrumming through her.

               “Oh yes,” she said absently “this will work very nicely.” She turned back to Adam who stood watching her. He had an odd expression on his face, but it cleared quickly, and he smiled back.

               “I’m glad, “he said, then escorted her back to the front of the shop. They set up a time for her to come by and set up, and Adam handed her a black nameless credit card. Moira stared at it in surprise, not certain why he was trying to hand it to her.

               “For expenses,” explained Adam. “The client wants only the best but of course within reason, there is a $5000.00 limit on the card. Please do not hesitate to spend what you need.”

Moira took the card gingerly. She slipped the card into her cell phone jacket and into her purse. She smiled and shook Adam’s hand.

               “This is going to be a great party” she beamed, and Adam returned her smile.

               “I’m certain it will be a blast” he said, touching his nose in a conspiratorial way. Moira left the book shop, climbed into her car, and went shopping.

               The day of the party arrived, and Moira had already finished with the decorations. Today was all about the food. Up at 5:30 in the morning, Moira cooked and baked, cleaned and packed until her phone advised her that it was nearly time. She loaded the car with the heat proof bags and even managed to have enough time to take a quick shower and throw on her dress. A night sky dress peppered with stars and galaxies; a tiny silver spaceship pin attached at the lapel added her sci fi theme. She piled her hair into a French knot and put on some eye liner. This was about as dressy as she liked to be, and she smiled at her reflection.

               “Happy Birthday kiddo” she said to herself before heading out to the bookstore.

               By 6 pm, the back area of the bookstore was lit with an eerie green color. Lacey, iridescent fabrics hung strategically from the canopy creating the feel of an alien underwater landscape. Strange plants and creatures cut from paper peeked from between the folds. The food was laid out on tables disguised as alien figures, complete with masks and rubber gloves for hands. Beside the entrance Adam had set up one table with large vases full of paper masks. Each in a different color scheme. No guest would be allowed entrance with one and as Moira was busy finishing the last touches at the back, the guest began to arrive.

               The party was amazing, the food was appreciated, the decorations adored. Some of the party goers remarked on the atmosphere and the music, while others raved about the food and the blue wine. Moira stood at the back, observing from a distance. From time to time a party goer would walk up to her, bow, and then move along, smiles hidden behind a paper mask. No one spoke directly to her, for which she was grateful.

               Adam approached her with a glass of blue wine and handed it to her with a nod.

               “The clients are very pleased” he said, nodding at a couple in the corner , swathed in cloth and covered in glitter. “they asked if you are having a good time?” she grinned at him.

               “This is wonderful,” she said “ But I have yet to see the birthday girl. I would have thought she would have a special mask?”

               “Oh” said Adam, leaning in a bit “ she does. Now it is time to cut the cake. The client has requested that you stay close to the main table. Would that be alright?” Moira nodded and took a sip of her drink. She leaned against one of the cloth covered pillars and watched as Adam carried the large spaceship cake into the party area. Everyone gathered and lifted their glasses. The candles were lit and they began to sing

               “Happy birthday to you…” Moira looked around trying to spot the birthday girl but seeing no one in a special mask. “happy birthday to you” they continued, and Moira became even more confused. They were all facing her, but no one knew it was her birthday, so this made no sense.

               “Happy birthday dear Moira” they sang all flinging their masks away at once. Revealing all her friends and family.

               “Happy birthday to you!” finished the couple in the back. The clients, who she now realized were her own parents. Tears streamed down her face as she was hugged and kissed by all the people in the world that she had loved and missed since she had moved so far away.

               “But how?” she asked, shock and joy warring on her features.

               “We all flew down yesterday. It’s your first birthday away from home, we knew you were lonely, and you needed some help, so we all pitched in and came up with a plan.” Her father beamed at her and she hugged him tight. Her mother wrapped her arms around her back and they stood for a moment together holding each other close.

               “How did you, I mean, who came up with this?” Her sister fought her way to the front and grinned at her.

               “Well, you had always wanted a sci fi themed party and how else could we make sure it was perfect for you if you hadn’t been the one to do it? Besides, we all wanted to invest in your business, but you are so proud you wouldn’t hear of it. This way you get the party and the paycheck. You did such a great job this place looks amazing! Oh my god and the food!”

               Moira spotted Adam standing on his own in the corner, watching the party with a satisfied look.

               “Then who is he?” asked Moira quietly. He sister winked at her and turned so that no one could see her speak.

               “Adam owns this shop. I met him last time I came to visit you, we started chatting and when I mentioned this idea, he volunteered to set this up. He was the one person you didn’t know,” she said laughing. Moira shook her head, amazed that she could be surrounded by so much love. She smiled and sipped her drink. When she turned her head, she noticed Adam’s gaze on her before he quickly turned away, a small smile playing at his lips.

               “Hmm” she thought, smiling herself. “Maybe this whole new life wouldn’t be so bad.” 

May 12, 2021 15:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.