1 comment

Adventure Fiction Friendship

Going on a vacation has been my fantasy for as long as I remember, I wanted to get an escape even if it was just one day in a month from the craziness that constantly surrounded me and was eating me up, from Monday to Friday, I was a mess, always doing paper work and running errands and I didn't want to make any mistakes that would bring my contract job to an end, it was all I had, at least for now. You might ask me if I don't take the weekends off, well during the weekends I go to stay with mum and help her sell in the market, weekends are busiest there and she needs me often as she couldn't handle it alone, "only if I could go on a vacation" I said to Tammy, my friend and colleague and just like me, she was a contract worker too "sweetie, how is that possible, we don't even have the time, talk more the money for this vacation" Tammy replied as she shook her head as if to say my idea was lame as she sipped some coffee from a cup in her hands, "we girls need a break, doesn't the routine bore and exhaust you"? I asked Tammy who in turn gave a huge sigh and turned to me "Erica I know, but we can't do anything about it, for now that's impossible" she said as she walked out and headed back to her desk, I felt so defeated on the spot, after a minute or two, I sluggishly walked back to my desk and sunk my head down on the table, I shifted my head a bit and I was slowly observing everyone, everyone was running round and round with papers or yelling at someone to do something or answering a phone call or perhaps even on their systems, the sight was so chaotic, just as I stared at all the craziness around me, without realising I dozed off, just then, I dreamt of me being in this tropical island, the most beautiful place I ever saw in my life, the Sun was warm and the coconut trees swayed beautifully from side to side as the cool breeze blew, I was in a beautiful bikini and a flower hat, just then I saw the sea right ahead and I ran to it, when I got there, I deeped my leg into the water which rushed and splashed on my feet, while I was so immersed in this dream, someone tapped me on my shoulders "rise and shine sleeping beauty, didn't you get some sleep at home"? asked my boss you had just woken me up, "I did sir, but I'm just a little tired" I replied as i stretched myself off of my desk, "you better be up and doing dear, if you do well here you might just be a full time employee, don't mess that opportunity up" he said calmly with a smile as he patted my shoulder "yeah right he isn't even sure if I will get the job" I muttered to myself as I packed a bunch of files grudgingly and carried them into his office.


I couldn't get that dream off my mind, the feeling of being in a sunny, warm and soothing environment was all I needed, before, I had second thoughts about it, but this dream affirmed every nerve inside of me that I needed a break. Days after the fascinating dream, I couldn't think of any plans on how to get to a wonderful tropical island, I checked my account balance and it was on a red, plus the prices for any sort of vacation was just too much, even if I borrowed from someone, it wouldn't be enough for a wonderful getaway, this got me worried as all the nerves in my body screamed for relaxation and my bones begged for some rest, but those worries were about to change when something crazy happened. I was in the office as usual, on my desk, minding my business when Tricia walked up to me, Tricia was one of the people I hated to see at the office, she wasn't just saucy, she was a bully and she felt she was better than any other person, her arrogance knows no bounds and the crazy thing is she gets away with everything because her boyfriend is our boss, it's really frustrating having her around "Hey Erica, your face looks like hell" she said as she walked towards me "not again" I muttered as I composed myself and looked back at her "what's it?" I asked as I stared her right in the eyes "oww dear, don't give me that scary look, anyways you are gonna take care of all my paperwork for the next one week" she said as she grinned from ear to ear, "are you crazy, I'm not supposed to do that for you" I shot back in anger as I stamped my fist on the table "don't get jumpy sis, my baby and I are going on a vacation to some magical tropical island so you got to cover up me" she responded as she walked off without letting me say another word, I just sat there helpless, I was drowning in tiredness and here Tricia is trying to put her workload on me, "I got to do something" I muttered as I watched Tricia walk into her office.

I was sent by my boss to get his laptop which he left in his office, he needed it for the presentation which he wanted to give the other employees he was with, I ran to his office and as I took the laptop from his table, something fell, it was the ticket to "ELDORADO RESORT!" I gasped as I picked the ticket up, I battled with my conscience whether to take it do leave it, just then, my boss came in "what took you so long?" He asked impatiently as he snatced the laptop from my hand and stormed off, I looked at the tickets and smiled to myself, this was my escape to a wonderful vacation. I told Tammy about it and she looked at me in shock, "don't tell me you want to impersonate them and drag me into it with you" she said sternly as she still looked at me on shock, "Tammy this our chance to take a break, besides Tricia wants to torture me by giving me all her workload" I said as I put on a pitiful face to persuade my friend, after much talk she agreed, just because she needed to get back at Tricia who made her miss lunch that afternoon and because she picked on me again, now I finally got my girlfriend on my side, we had to prepare to leave the office few days ahead before anyone realised anything, we took a permit from our boss for some overboard reasons we made up, in the evening we both met at the bus stop and took a bus heading for Eldorado resort. This journey got me scared, although I disguised myself as my boss, I was scared we would be ratted out, my palms broke into a cold sweat and I wasn't enjoying the feeling, after a trip that seemed like forever, we got to the island, Tammy and I lined up with the rest of the crowd in order to get our tickets checked, it didn't take any time before it got to our turn, "your ticket please?" The registrar asked, we gave him the tickets but deep down we hoped we won't be asked for further identification details,luckily, he gestured us to go into the guest house, we were so delighted, we moved into our room just then I jumped into the bed "this is a dream come true" I whispered as my face lay on the soft sheets "damn girl this is it" Tammy said in excitement as she scanned the room and walked up to the balcony, the breeze smelt fresh as it was soothing at the same time, I felt relaxed for the first time in many years of my life, we had the best dinner, champagne and best rest we had in many years, I got a very lovely massage the next day and for the first time I walked into the magnificent tropical island which was far away from the guest house, it was just like what I saw in my dreams, I went straight to the sea surrounding it and I deeper my feet into it, it felt cold but good at the same time, while I was enjoying that moment, Tammy tapped me from behind and offered me a drink "it's wonderful isn't it?" Tammy whispered as she sat with me "yes it really is" I whispered back as we looked at each other and smiled, we were finally able to have some peace and enjoy the breeze that swept around us.


"Erica get up immediately" Tammy whispered frantically as she pushed me so hard to open my eyes "what is it, it's just 6am" I asked as I tried to turn to continue my sleep, "we've been busted, we got to leave before we get caught for good" Tammy said as she shoved everything she played her hands on into her bag, just then the sleep disappeared, it seemed as if air seemed to stop circulating because my chest tightened and I was short of breath, I leaped up and began packaging all I could into my bag "how did you know?" I asked Tammy who was busy also, that's not important now, let's get out of here" she said without even looking back at me, when we were done shoving our clothes into our bags we headed for the door only to notice two officers coming towards our room "shit" I muttered as we turned back and headed into the room, we stared at the room as if answers were in the ceiling or walls, but just then I saw a window leading to a sort of backyard "Tammy let's use this" I said to Tammy who without hesitation broke the window open and made her way through, just then the knock came on the the door and just then I jumped off the window too, it lead to a basement no one had been in for years, we had to creep our way out of there, I don't even know how we managed to find our way but we did and luckily it led to the bus terminal for visitors who were about to leave, we looked around for an empty bus and luckily we saw one, we walked as fast as we could to the bus but just as we got there we saw other officers approaching, "Tammy please open the bus and get in" I whispered as Tammy was trying to open the bus, just then it got open and we crawled in and shut the door to the bus, the officers were carried away asking questions probably about our whereabout and the terminal was quite rowdy so no one could easily spot us, we hid under the seats and curled up ourselves until passengers began to hop in, just as the bus was about to move, pictures of us in our disguise was circulated round the bus terminal as people who were wanted, we maintained our positions under the seats and prayed no one would spot us, luckily our bus took off and just as we left the terminal, just as we left, the terminal halted any other travels as they wanted to inspect the buses and fish us out, I overheard the conversation as it was communicated to the driver who in turn told them he wasn't around the axis, we got to the bus stop and we cunningly snuck our way out of the bus mixed up with all the crowd and confusion, we trekked back home because we feared we could be recognised, we got to our various houses removed our disguises and got rid of them immediately, we took a shower, dressed up and showed up at work, just as we got to work at around 8:30am, we saw all our colleagues being questioned about the tickets which they denied any knowledge of, like others, we too denied any knowledge of it, our boss wasn't even sure of were he kept it as one of us told him he gave him the tickets sometime ago in his car, he stormed back into his office to make a few phone calls and soon Tricia stormed into his office and I could hear them raising their voices but couldn't make out what exactly they were talking about, Tammy and I looked at each other, I winked at her and she winked back, despite the dangers and crazy risk, we both got what we wanted, a getaway for at least one day and honestly, we don't regret it.

March 01, 2021 12:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Grace Sam Awa
11:12 Mar 09, 2021

Would love to hear your feedbacks, criticism is welcome too.🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.