13 comments

Black Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

               Cut Off

Ene opened her eyes to intense darkness thicker than the night storm. All she could do was stare into the darkness.

 There was no difference between when she opened or closed her eyes. She was used to this condition since she was blind.

The soundtrack of a peaceful morning was heard and the chips of crickets and insects nearby indicated it was the early hours of the morning.

 The birds sang excitedly showing happiness for witnessing a new day. For Ene, the experience was the opposite so void of happiness or enthusiasm.

 She released a sigh of anguish as her fingers skimmed through her rough-dried unkempt hair that smelled like burnt soil. Her hands travelled down to her face and then to her eyes that was had dried tears enough to make a bridge, she just wished it could convey her to a world of comfort and overwhelming joy.

 She didn’t quite understand the state of her mind as her frail heart was filled with so much pain so choking it made her throat sore. She could give anything to see something other than the darkness that translates from her heart to her eyes even if it was white and not black. Just a glint of light a ray of hope.

The situation seems to be the least of Ene's problems as she felt terrible pains in her body as she tried to shift on the rough thorn mat on the cold floor where she laid in the crooked living room. Pain slammed from every corner of her frail, pale body,  like a two-edged sword peeling her skin away.

The morning silence was really scary she guessed it was about 4:00 am. Ene couldn’t stop the tears from rolling down her eyes.

Just then, she heard a footstep approaching from the distant room, she could hear someone sniffing as the person got closer.

Her heart pounded so loudly as fear gripped her.

“Ene come here!!!” The voice growled like a lion ready to pounce on its prey. She turned her face pretending to be asleep. She wishes she could die just now and end the pain and anguish.

“ So you are pretending to be sleeping?” The voice asked angrily but she didn’t utter a word.

“Has your blindness gotten into your mouth that you can’t speak?”

In a flash, she heard a deafening slap across her face that almost twisted her neck, and then he grabbed her clothes and tore it….

She was too tired to struggle or do anything. Her heart was just tired.

Tears couldn’t stop falling freely from her eyes, Her heart was beating very fast, and she wish it wouldn’t be painful but that was a stupid wish…

He drew her roughly to a corner with a devilish laugher and muttered under his breath.

“You are too sweet Ene, even sweeter than your aunt” he muttered

Ene shook her head as there was nothing she could do.

Her mind was far away from what was about to happen, this was the second time he was molesting her in one night.

 She was just filled with the pain of the heart, pain from being abandoned and left alone when She needed everyone…

Her  Aunt's Husband drew down her underwear and threw her legs wide open and had his way.

As soon as he was done he left quietly to his room.

The pain was melted upon by her aunt's husband Adakole. He was forty-five years old, very aggressive, ruthless and had a very huge statue. One could tell from his terrifying voice and weight. In Ene's eyes, He was the devil himself.

Ene was being abused and molested by Adakole since she was brought into the house only seven at the time.  She was now eleven years. Aunt Pat was not aware of her husband's evil acts she was never home. Constantly travelling for her business leaving her with her terrifying husband.

Ene had told her Aunt on several  occasions, but she had been like

“You mean my loving husband who can’t even hurt a fly did this, impossible.

It only made matters worse. So she kept to herself.

She remembered vividly being the only child of her parents. She had virtually everything a child could wish for. Her life was a life of luxury.

Her parents especially her dad, pampered her so much to a fault. Ene was their only princess deserving all attention and love. She was the epicentre of their lives.

A smile slowly formed on her face as she reminisced on the past. Her parents were so rich that they could travel anywhere in the world if they wished.

They had this special vacation planned out to celebrate their princess's birthday when disaster struck.

The trip was planned to be in Paris, France but unfortunately, there had been an accident and there was an explosion caused by a collision with an oncoming vehicle. Their car summersault several times before landing on its back.  Her parents were burnt beyond recognition.

 Fortunately for Ene, she got thrown out of the window

The last memory of her parents was seeing them burn in the fire. What anguish and untold pain!!!

She woke up in the hospital, blind.

Ene's uncles took all her parent's properties tagging her a witch, responsible for ill luck.

Since she was a female it made it so easy to discard her like a piece of trash.

Aunt Pat was the only one who had agreed to take her to live with her husband and herself in a small village very far from the city.

She missed her parents so much.

The evading crow of the cock jerked her back to reality. She tried to stand up but, her legs wobbled and she fell. She could feel excruciating pain in her thigh and face. Summoning all her strength, she stood up reaching out for her long slim stick.

Chores for the day all came flying through her mind. She had to clean the house, make breakfast for her Aunt's husband, attend to a huge pile of laundry enough to peel off her fingers and other pieces of stuff.

Already used  to such hard work and moving around the house, she was sure she would be done in no time.

*****

“What rubbish breakfast is this”? She heard her Aunt's husband thundered.

Hurriedly she made her way to the sitting room.

“Take this rotten food you call a meal from my sight before I tear you apart. He spat out the coffee to her face.

She was sure she did everything right. Standing up, he shoved her aside splashing hot coffee over her.

Ene let out a scream her skin was on fire. He rushed out muttering and cursing under his breath.

Ene took the tray away to the kitchen, rushing to pour cold water on herself to ease the burn.

“Not too bad” she mumbled  

Some hours later, Ene heard the phone ring.

It was unusual for the phone to ring as the caller was always aunt pat or her husband.

She picked up the call.

“Hello, Ene this is me”. The caller said excitedly. How are you?

“I am fine, she replied, not recognising the voice it was strange.

“Who are you”? Ene asked confused

“How do you know my name”? She inquired trying to figure who the person was.

The voice sounded so familiar like she was connected to this person.

The weird but amazing thing was that the caller’s voice made her feel so much peace and friendship.

Then suddenly, the voice changed from calmness to a more serious tone.

“Ene there is something very important I  need to tell you now and I want you to act fast. Don’t waste a single second.

The peace was turned to fear and anxiety.

“Ene!!! R.

A great thunder stroke as the heavens cried over the earth in an intense downpour.

 The line got disconnected.

“Hello” Ene called out repeatedly. The caller had something important to tell her now it won’t be possible.

“Gosh, this is bad. What do I do now?

She dialled the number numerous times but it failed.

Suddenly, The door slammed opened making a loud noise. Ene trembled

She heard a loud noise from her Aunt's husband and his friends. From the gibberish and commotion, you could tell they were drunk.

She tried to sneak away quietly but was caught and dragged to their presence.

They all took turns to rape her.

Struggling with all her might

Fighting with her fist and feet didn’t do much. They were strong and so they overpowered her.

She was fighting who she didn’t see.

Darkness!!!!

Finally, She saw a great light. Almost blinded by its intensity she looked away.

Standing up and looking away from herself finding her uncle and his horrible friends trying to revive her.

All the evil and pain didn’t matter anymore.

Abruptly, a familiar voice called out her name. Turning back to see who it was she stood awestruck.

It was a split image of herself.

She was  the caller, using a random person to reach out but was disconnected unexpectedly.

Ene didn’t care

She was free!!!

She was cut off from the World's dilemma, suffering and pain.

October 15, 2021 22:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

13 comments

Francis Daisy
10:24 Nov 09, 2021

Your bio promises comedy stories that will keep me glued...I look forward to reading some!

Reply

Mercy Ineke
01:26 Nov 10, 2021

Thank you so much for engaging. I won't let you down

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruth Smith
18:52 Nov 10, 2021

Intriguing story. I look forward to reading more of them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:37 Dec 13, 2021

I liked your writing the story was well narrated would like to make contribution to our team here is short introduction Sorry for inconvenience ignore it I am just bothering you We are Team Abhedya Racing; a group of passionate engineering undergraduates who participate in the BAJA competition organized by SAE at a National and International level. We have started this fundraiser to help fund our efforts in securing an All India Rank of 1 in the ongoing BAJA 2022 season. We have made it to an All India Rank of 6 in Phase 1 of the season w...

Reply

Mercy Ineke
04:37 Dec 14, 2021

That is really amazing. I will be a part of this once I get the financial means.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
21:28 Nov 18, 2021

What a horrific experience you describe for Ene. You make it all too real. Having someone else read, and/or reading aloud when editing should help with the occasional typo. Typos aside, you are a talented writer and I look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
22:14 Nov 17, 2021

Wow, poor Ene. I hoped she would get revenge. Maybe she can be a vengeful spirit. The uncle can’t get away with that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Valentine Udus
10:22 Nov 16, 2021

Weldone You will go higher.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pippin Took
13:23 Nov 11, 2021

I think this is a solid story, but you should probably add a Trigger Warning for the future.

Reply

Mercy Ineke
18:12 Nov 11, 2021

Thanks a lot. I will do a lot better next time. I am glad you found the time to read through. Your feedback is noted.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wolfy 🐺
01:53 Nov 10, 2021

The fact that you use 3rd person, yet manage to convey all of Ene's thoughts and emotions in such a personal way... I loved reading this!

Reply

Mercy Ineke
18:12 Nov 10, 2021

Thanks for engaging I am glad you love the short story.

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
19:05 Nov 10, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.