Shadow You, Shadow Me

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: Set your story in a countryside house that’s filled with shadows.... view prompt

1 comment

Horror Mystery Thriller

Unbelievable! Another boring stay at the family Country Inn, Becca thought, as her father turned the old station wagon fossil into the pebble stone driveway. Why are we back again so soon, she thought. They'd just spent the entire month of June there and she wasn't eager to return, especially with Autumn on the cusp of blissful change. It was her favorite time of the year and she'd miss the annual Fair back home. Fall, she thought, had a special smell and feel, all it's own. It was a time for fresh beginnings and a renewing of all things old. With the silent retreat of the butterflies and brilliant displays of vibrant leaves, she welcomed this annual event, trusting the deliverance to be dazzling and nothing short of a spectacular performance. Brightly lit orange pumpkins, tiny fairies, wearing silver plastic tiaras, and 5 year old vampires, eagerly skipping down a moon-lit street, littered with more adolescent ghouls from every dark pit. I'm going to miss it all, she thought, as she stared at the very reason why she would. "I hate this place" she whispered, as she and her brother Cody emerged from the back seat. "All right, every man for himself. Bags to your rooms guys", her father yelled, as he stretched his limbs and winked one eye sharply at her. As she gazed up at the 3 story Tudor-style house that reminded her of a wicked gingerbread portal to hell, she suddenly felt cold. It was an unnatural chill, not like that of one from a crisp Autumn day. She swore she could hear the Eagle's Hotel California playing from the spying walls, as she entered the house. As she began unpacking her clothes, she turned around to yell at Cody, "honestly Cody, don't start. Today is not the day for your idiotic pran..ks" The words faded on her lips as she realized he wasn't there. She walked towards the doorway entrance and looked down the hallway. She could hear Cody and her mom downstairs debating. "Absolutely not...no hot pockets before dinner Cody. We're having Pizza". Just then, she turned swiftly, looking behind her, as she once again felt a very strong presence...an eerie one now. At this moment, she saw a dark shadow on the wall quickly disappear into her bedroom. Oh God, she clasped both hands over her mouth to stifle her scream. Not again, she thought. The same shadow she'd seen during her Summer stay. Barely breathing, she walked towards her bedroom. Looking in, she saw it lying on her bed, relaxing as if it belonged there. Squinting, she asked, "what are you?" The shadow rose and got up and walked over to her dresser. It sat down and began to brush its imaginary hair. Becca stared in amazement, as its movements seemed oddly familiar. Becca asked, "Why are you here?" The shadow stood up and walked to the closet and reached up as if to take something down. It turned around and sat down on the floor. Becca noticed a square shaped shadow on the floor. She walked over to get a closer view. The shadow appeared to be playing a board game. Becca quickly stumbled back and in a shaky voice, she said, "No, it can't be". Fear beginning to grip her, she yelled! "Who are you?" The shadow stopped abruptly, looked up at Becca and pointed directly at her. Becca screamed, but strangely she couldn't hear herself. When she looked in the mirror, she saw that the shadow resembled HER. Becca was horrified. It all came rushing back now. Back in June, in a state of boredom, she'd taken an old Ouija Board from a homeless bum in town. He'd just wanted a few dollars for it. She'd played it alone in her room, but she never finished it. Immediately, she'd begun to see this shadow, thing. Now crying, Becca asked, "What do you want?". Once again, the shadow pointed at Becca. The shadow whispered, "My dear Becca, you started a game, which opened a door, releasing me. You didn't finish, and you left me here all alone, while you went off to that fancy house of yours in the big city. That was very selfish of you, BECCA!!! Becca stood frozen and terrified, unable to move. All of a sudden a strong gust of wind rushed in, choking Becca until she collasped. When she regained conscienceness she was staring at herself exiting the bedroom. She heard her mother call out, "Becca, come down hun. The pizza is here". She watched as the pretty teen turned around, smiled and waved goodbye. Becca began to run towards her yelling, but she could never reach the door. She turned and gasped in horror when she saw a reflection of a shadow in the mirror. Not just any shadow, but one that mimicked her every move. One that knew her private thoughts, and the inescapable darkness that groomed her personally. She could no longer run from it. At last, she was home. A single tear drop escaped, as she longed for the bed that loomed before her. This house she dreaded for years and this very room, she despised, now seemed like a slice of Heaven. What an ingrate she'd been. Her regret was immeasurable. The Gingerbread portal to hell was now her prison. As the pretty teen descended the stairs, she looked around as though she'd never seen the rooms downstairs. She was in Awe. Wow, she thought, this place is absolutely beautiful. How selfish of Becca to just remain in that gloomy bedroom and never let me out. Looking upstairs, she glared angrily. "BOO!!", shouted Cody as he jumped out in front of her, wearing a Werewolf mask. The pretty teen seemed unfrightened, and quickly retorted back by letting out a deep growl, reminiscent to that of a demonic, possessed person. Cody took off running to the kitchen, screaming, as she laughed hysterically. As she entered the kitchen, Becca's mom Ginger looked up and said, "Well it's about time young lady that you let down that gorgeous hair of yours. I got so tired of that tragic ponytail of yours". The pretty teen, smiled sweetly and kissed Ginger on the cheek. Becca's mom turned around and asked, "Dear, are you feeling alright?" Without waiting for an answer, she said, "You guys clean up after yourselves when you're done". Cody quickly grabbed his plate, looking curiously at the pretty teen and ran after his mom, asking, "Can I eat my pizza in the living room mom?" "Fine by me", she replied. As the pretty teen walked towards the living room, passing the stairs, she yelled out, "Oh mom, I meant to tell you that I wanted to enter the baking contest at the Fall Fair this year." Ginger replied, "Oh Becca, I think that's a lovely idea sweetheart. I think it's wonderful that you're making an effort to participate in community activities". That would mean we have to go back early mom, like Tomorrow, right?". "All entries have to be registered by 5 pm tomorrow." "Well in that case hun, the sooner the better. I don't see why we can't make the trip tomorrow." "Yes Mom, and I can just stay, if you guys want to come back." "No need for that, we can just come back in the Spring. The house isn't going anywhere", replied Becca's dad. "Great, sounds like a plan to me", said the pretty teen as she looked towards the stairs, smiling, mischievously, "A marvelous plan."

May 01, 2021 05:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Larry Rhoton
13:41 May 09, 2021

Great story, Jennifer. Very interesting twist, again, very good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.