17 comments

Friendship

You exhale a sigh of relief after filling out the form and signing at the end. You return the file you just filled out to your bookshelf after flipping through its pages.

You are the youngest police officer in the police headquarters, having joined the force at the age of 19 and you were still in your training period. You joined the police force six months ago, and you've had a lot on your plate since then. Still, you were pleased that you were doing something you enjoyed, and you were relieved that you were able to take a nap because many people do not have the opportunity to do so.

You finished your work early today for the first time in a long time, and there's a Music Carnival you've always wanted to go to. You didn't have the opportunity to go when you were a kid, but you were determined not to squander it this time.

“Hello, Cruz!”

You turn around to see your colleague, Mark, calling out to you. You sat up and stretched, attempting to break free from the trance.

“Ahoy, matey! 'ow be doing, Cap'n Mark?”

You babbled to Mark. Even though you are legally an adult, you still behave like an immature teenager; more like a kid.

Mark chuckled softly. He was the only one who put up with your immaturity. Your childishness irritates everyone else.

“I be doin' jolly, Cap'n Cruz Rivera! Did ye finish the work Mr. Jackson gave ye?”

You replied, still in Pirate’s language, “Yarr, I completed me work. Can I set sail today early? There be a music carnival I've always wanted to go to. Can I go, please?”

You give him the most innocent puppy face you could muster. He affectionately pats your head. Mark was a couple of years older than you. His strawberry blonde hair is almost always concealed under his peaked cap. Mark is your one and only best friend.


“I'm fine with that. You deserve a break from all of this. You go have fun, kid!”

You smile and shake your dark chocolate brown hair, which falls in front of your eyes, partially blocking your vision. You took your cap and put it on your head.

“Thank you so much, Markie!!!”

You spin around and make your way out the academy.

***


You're driving your red Mustang to the Carnival grounds, following Google Maps' directions, and singing along to 'Cold Water' by Major Lazer, Justin Bieber, MØ.


“And if you feel you're sinking, I will jump right over,

Into cold, cold water for you.

And although time may take us into different places,

I will still be patient with you.

And I hope you know,

I won't let go.

I'll be your lifeline tonight,

I won't let go.

I'll be your lifeline tonight!”


You're glad Google Maps exists because you constantly forget where you're going. When you were in elementary school, you, like all the other kids, declared proudly that you wanted to be a cop. The other kids were not sure about becoming cops and kept changing their minds about what they wanted to be when they grew up. You, on the other hand, were adamant. You aspired to be a cop like your father and make him proud of you. But your father has passed away, even before he could see you as a cop. The mustang was your father's favorite car, and it is now yours.


Your true ambition was to become a police detective and to do so; you had to first be a Cop. Sherlock Holmes has been your idol and role model since you first began watching movies. You were the teachers' favorite in high school. Teachers would assign you to spy on students and report back to them on everything. As a result, you only had a few friends in high school.


You park your car in front of the carnival grounds and walk inside. You looked in the car mirror at yourself before entering and ruffled your hair, making it messier than ever. You mumble to yourself, "Finally, my dream is going to come true."


You looked around, intrigued, as you made your way through the crowd. The screams could be heard all over the concert grounds. As you walk around, the aroma of carnival treats drifted through the air. You move your gaze to the rides section. It was teeming with hundreds of people of all ages, screaming and laughing. The event's excitement began to pump through your veins. Your gaze was drawn to another corner; the music concert, as you are all aware, the Music Carnival is never complete without the concert. Bright lights flashed in front of your eyes, blinding you.


Suddenly, a sweet melody began to play in your ears, and you felt as if you were magnetically drawn to the concert. You can't believe it when you walk over to the concert and recognize that deep voice. You blink several times in an attempt to register that information in your mind. On the stage in front of you were the one and only Justin Bieber!


You, like hundreds of other Beliebers, scream and cheer for your musical idol. You've always wanted to go to his concerts, but you've always missed out on the opportunity in some way. You watch Justin walk from one end of the stage to the other, shaking hands with his fans and waving to them. You return to your previous location. You're overjoyed because today two of your dreams came true: you got to see JB and attend his concert, and you got to go to the Music Carnival.


You take a seat on one of the benches scattered throughout the carnival grounds. Suddenly, you notice a 14-year-old teen pacing in front of you. She had a worried expression on her face and was panicking a lot, gulping and looking around frequently, sweating profusely, and nervously playing with her deep brown hair, which was in a half-bun. You've noticed this girl since you entered the carnival. You first saw her on the roller coaster, having a good time, then in the arcade, playing Overwatch, and finally at JB's concert. You recall seeing her blow a kiss to Justin and him return the kiss shortly after winking at her. She might be a JB fan like me, you thought to yourself. But now she appeared worried and panicked. Is she in trouble? You questioned yourself.

'Cruz, go help her. She could be lost. Show everyone that, despite your childish behavior, you are responsible and brave. Show'em,' said a voice in your head.

You go up to her. As you got closer, you noticed she was dressed in overalls. To get her attention, you lower the hood of your hoodie and clear your throat. When she hears you clear your throat, she turns around and looks at you, a worried and confused expression on her face. But you interrupted her before she could say anything.


“Are you lost, kid?”


When she realizes you've been watching her the entire time, she tries to hide her nervousness by glaring at you sternly and silently. Her stare was boring a hole in your heart. You wait a few moments for her response before repeating what you said before, her grey eyes still on yours.


“Are you lost, kid?”


Surprisingly, she grabs an aluminum can that was attached to her belt and uncaps it.


Your gaze lingers on the can, attempting to deduce what the contents of the can were. Yes, that is it. Oleoresin capsicum, alias Pepper Spray. You could see her pupil dilate in fear. You raise both of your hands, attempting to demonstrate that you are not a threat to her.


“Look, I swear I'm not going to attack. Don't worry. You looked lost, and I was trying to help you,” you say bravely, trying to calm her down.

Her fingers are still on the trigger as she scans you from head to toe. She lowers the can and softens her gaze.


“Look, I’m a cop. I’m here to help. Please lower your pepper gun, young lady.” You rummage in your pocket for a long time and grabs your ID from your pocket. You show her your ID. She snatches it from your hands and looks at it closely.

“Officer Cruz Rivera.” She reads out loud and then, looks at you.  

May 13, 2021 18:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Ash S
05:54 May 14, 2021

Hey guys!! Thanks for all the likes and comments!! I’m glad that you like my story. I’ve never used 2nd person perspective before. So, I decided to experiment using that perspective on this week’s prompt. I don’t know if it’s good or bad, but I enjoyed writing this story so much. Another thing I want to say to you guys is that my short story is not finished. I forgot about the contest and began writing really late. Yesterday, I stayed up to midnight trying to complete the story, but, eventually, I got sleepy and what I did was I submitted...

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:00 Jun 05, 2021

Hello! It's fine if you don't get a lot out, I'm slow too.

Reply

Ash S
04:39 Jun 06, 2021

Thanks for understanding ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maraika!!! 😎
23:33 May 31, 2021

Oooooo I'm so sad that you're going to be inactive more :(((( I understand though. School is very time comsuming. (Hence why I write very late at night. That and it's the most quite then lol) I hope you have a good first day of inperson school!

Reply

Ash S
01:02 Jun 01, 2021

Thanks, Maraika! ❤️ Anyways, the late night writing won't work with me. 😄 If I stay up for too long (normally I up for upto 10:30-11:00pm), First thing, my mom and dad will scold me and the second thing, I'll have to miss my tution class (it's in the morning 7am). But, I'll try to save an hour for writting too. 🙂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
22:37 May 30, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ash S
15:57 May 31, 2021

Hey there Sienna! I'm sorry about that. Please check my bio. I've explained everything there. =)

Reply

Unknown User
20:12 May 31, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Ash S
01:04 Jun 01, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey! awesome story! i saw in your bio that we like a lot of the same music! have you heard of AJR?

Reply

Ash S
06:14 May 16, 2021

Thanks, Carolina!!❤️❤️ Yeah, I've heard some songs of AJR. They are pretty cool!!

Reply

no prob! i know, they are!! :DDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
22:39 May 13, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

ya feeling good, ya feeling right, across the floor and im already losin my mind XD i had to I looooove AJR and im super excited to go see them on tour next year!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
02:27 May 14, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ash S
06:15 May 16, 2021

Aww :) Thanks, Sienna!!♥️♥️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.