1 comment

Fantasy Contemporary Fiction

Bernice Window

Bernice glanced out of her office window after she noticed papers had been moved around on her desk. She heard footsteps. How was that disturbed girl gaining access to her office?  And why didn’t the University expel her? Could the girl have other accomplices? Maybe Bernice shouldn’t be working at the office so late at night.

Her cell phone rang. Bernice picked it up and there was only silence. She had been getting hang-up calls, and the calls had been traced to the University. Apparently, the calls had been spoofed. Strange things had happened before, but things had really been bizarre since that girl signed up for her class fall semester.

Summer seemed too innocent looking to be accused of a bomb threat; yet, she also had threatened another student, and there was something menacing about her writing. Bernice heard something and looked out the window again. She was afraid of what she might see.

She sat down at her desk and tried to concentrate on grading papers. She tried not to dwell on things that had happened at the university before. Sure, it was a toxic place and Bernice had to do things she regretted in order to keep her job.  She could never forget the young man she had mentored, and how he had been treated so horribly. She didn’t try to console him when he was in his office packing up his stuff and crying. Then there was the accident, and she never heard from him again. Bernice wiped a tear off of her eyes.

When she started complaining about Summer, “that girl,”  her colleagues intimated that Bernice needed to seek treatment. She had been diagnosed with bipolar a decade ago and had taken meds when she had a difficult time, but she chose not to stay on the medications. She could stay up all night and work, and she didn’t see that as a liability.

Her husband had recently left her, but she would try to work things out with him. She kept thinking about all the mistakes she’d made. Then she heard doors opening. Bernice slowly opened her door and walked down the hall.

“Who is it? I’m calling the police,” she said.

There was no answer. She felt a breeze. The skin on her neck prickled. Bernice went back to her office and her office phone rang. There was no answer. She slammed the phone on her desk.

“Stop it. Just stop it,” she said. Maybe that girl and her acolytes would either get caught or get some help. Who else had an agenda against her? But who could get past the cameras? Bernice’s hand was shaking.

Bernice took some deep breaths and listened to the crickets and cicadas. It would be getting cold soon. The cool breeze in the air was a hint of another season setting in. Things happened so fast, and that was why it was so important not to keep making the same mistakes.  Maybe there was still a chance she could get back together with her husband, but she could never undo the tragedy that occurred years ago.     

Bernice heard footsteps again and opened the window. She picked up her cell phone and dialed her ex.

“Robert, “ she said in a weak voice.

He yawned.

“It’s late,” he said.

“I’m sorry to wake you, but I’m in my office working, and I think a disturbed student somehow has access to the building.

Robert sighed.

“Hon, I think you need to consider going back on medication.”

Bernice’s nostrils flared. She tapped the desk.

“You don’t understand. There’s this girl who threatened another student, and she made a bomb threat. She sent this doll that had a detonator on it.”

Robert paused.

“Well, did the police get involved? Was there an investigation?”

Bernice sighed.

“Yes, yes. But she got off. Another student was allegedly involved, and her parents got a lawyer. It’s not clear what happened. I just know she’s disturbed.”

Robert cleared his throat.

“Well, I always say the burden of proof is on the plaintiff. I have represented cases where I know the defendant was guilty. But everyone deserves a fair trial. “

Bernice stood up and paced.

“But it wasn’t a fair trial.”

“You’re getting way too involved with a conflict between two students. There are cameras all over the place, and you have campus security. And if that student gets convicted of anything, she’ll be working at Burger King the rest of her life. I’m sure she knows that.”

Bernice sat back down.

“But she’s not rational,” Bernice yelled.

“I don’t know how to help you. Discuss your concerns with campus security, and take something to help you sleep. I think a good night’s sleep would help,” Robert said.

“Okay, dear. “

“And don’t work at the University so late,’ he said.

“You’re right. I just lost track of time.”

Bernice got up again and looked out the window. Her heart raced. .The woods behind the school were full of ghostly losses. She should go home. It was crazy to be working late. It was so lonely at home. In the evenings, she would listen to the same tunes and think about Robert. She begged him to come back, but he had been dating someone else.  Would’ve, could’ve should’ve. Was it too late? Maybe it wasn’t. Sometimes people went away and came back. She smiled when she thought back to the days when a friend would turn up at the edge of town in front of the porch of the store where her grandfather bought her caramel candies. Her childhood best friend had been a part of her life for years even though they spent decades apart. She had been a military brat and was used to moving around.

Bernice packed up her bags and imagined all the papers she would get published. She used to publish a lot but had stopped the past couple of years.

“Come back. Come back all of you,” she said out loud. She glanced out the window again to make sure no one was there. When she walked out to the parking lot, she hurried to her car. Once she got in the car and locked the doors, she looked up at the neon strip of moon.  The truth would eventually come out. She would do her own research, and do everything she could to prevent another tragedy. Bernice turned on her radio and drove down the empty streets. She felt alone, but somehow knew she would never be alone again.  

June 07, 2021 06:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Pika Okoye
09:13 Jul 09, 2021

Hi, Great piece, perfectly blended with emotions and past parts. Title's fab and also the character's attitude. Super good job👍 Would you like to read my stories? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.