30 comments

Horror Historical Fiction Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

The first week, the excuse was illness. Possibly the plague. Week two, was sea sickness.


By the time week three reared its ugly head, Alessina knew she couldn't avoid it anymore. So finally, Princess Alessina Warsaw received a clean bill of health and her first tour of a ship.


The ship was spotless, a writhing, breathing, groaning, squeaking mass of metal and wood. All the Princess knew about them came from stories about pirates and adventure.


Now she had to command the Lonely Calypso, a combination of hissing metal and wavering wood. The wood strained and ached where the metal protruded from it, and Alessina frowned at it, reaching out to touch the glistening, shiny pipe.


"Princess, please don't." The alchemist Sivvar said sharply, swatting her hand away just as it grazed the hot metal.


Alessina glared at him as the ship gently listed to the side. So what if she'd been hiding in her quarters? She was the damn nepotism granted commander of this ship.


Alessina decided to be an adult about it. "It's a marvel." She declared, clasping her hands behind her straight back, continuing to walk the tour the alchemist was leading her on.


The alchemist's distracted eyes looked up from a notebook. "Hmm? Yes, nothing like the old, unreliable ships of the past. Just wait Princess, and these ships will be entirely made of metal." His voice was both bored and tired.


That made no sense. "Metal? Wouldn't they sink?"


The alchemist gave Alessina a look she knew well. Her tutors, suitors, and servants wore it often, especially after stupid questions. Asked by stupid, inbred princesses.


The alchemist buried the look in a mocking smile. "Yes, it's quite the mystery."


Politely, Alessina muffled her rage in a clenched fist. Nails dug into her palm, the stinging pain a reminder to stay composed. Throwing a tantrum on a ship far from her guards and her home could be lethal.


However, letting one of her subjects mock her would definitely get her killed. Alessina fixed him with a withering stare, and refused to move. The alchemist eventually turned, raising a grey eyebrow at her.


"Tell me how they float," Alessina demanded, continuing to bore holes into his wizened skull.


"Well," The alchemist looked bewildered, and faintly chastened. "At present, the wooden parts help them float in water. In the future, the boats will be built with less density, or have air-rooms to keep them afloat." He ran a gloved hand through what was left of his silver hair.


Most of that explanation was meaningless to Alessina, but she nodded quietly.


This time, the alchemist waited, treating her less like a spoiled moron.


Alessina gestured ahead, eyes narrowed. "Proceed."


"The Lonely Calypso is one of the next generation of ships for your father's empire. It will conquer seas in his name, and defeat his enemies. The ship is also the fastest in the world, and one of the best defended." The speech was dutiful, bordering on mutinous.


Alessina despised proclamations like the fastest or the best. They reeked of complacency, and usually got empires to fall rather than fight to stand. And Father's ever expanding, perpetually warring realm needed to keep standing.


"Your accent. You are from the colonies?" Royalty had to phrase everything like a question they knew the answer to.


The alchemist ducked his head when they passed bowing sailors. "My mother was a colonial woman." The shame in his words was something Alessina also knew a lot about.


"Mine too." Alessina sighed, earning a surprised look from Sivvar.


She placed her hands on a metal railing. The galley was below, a rambunctious, bustling space of sailors and alchemists.


Some of them looked up at her, some bowed. The mutiny and cannibalistic hatred festered here too.


Alessina refused to look away, rubbing a hand over her twisted fingers. They'd never healed after an assassination attempt; a good reminder of the sword hanging over her head.


Alessina forced herself to look calm and unaffected, but it turned her stomach to think she'd lead these people soon.


Her father had sent her to the best defended, important ship to make sure his orders were given. But everyone else in the galley had earned their position.


"Any other questions, Princess?" The alchemist asked, pausing in his monotonous explanation of the slowly developing aether engine.


The Princess brushed imaginary dust off her fingers, eager to ask the one question she'd carried from the shore. "How does the ship stay safe from sea monsters? Sirens? Every ship that has ever set sail has come under attack."


Now the alchemist grinned, true interest finally flickering in his eyes. "Excellent, my lady, so you're familiar with the creatures of the depths?"


Alessina didn't share it often, but it was her only true interest in life. "I know about all of them. I was also under the impression that aside from wax in the ears, or speed, there was no way to survive an encounter."


The alchemist was intently listening and he beckoned her. "My lady, a tour of the ship's mechanisms can wait." He turned and Alessina followed at a more stately pace, intrigued by what the answer could be.


"The Lonely Calypso contains the most alchemists anywhere in the empire, and one of our missions is solving the puzzles of what make the various sea creatures tick."


"An example?" Alessina asked, intrigued. She started walking faster, keeping up with the alchemist.


"Sea dragons are vulnerable to sun star blood." The alchemist grinned and Alessina stared at him. "We found out when we fed some captured hatchling sea dragons."


"Could you train them as hatchlings to defend the ships?" Alessina asked and Sivvar stared at her, impressed.


"We're still discovering that. But we have made progress with the sirens."


Both of Alessina's sparse eyebrows shot up at that. The greatest threat to the empire's expeditions were teams of vicious, beautiful, sea huntresses. No sailor, man or woman was immune to their charms. Or to their sharp teeth.


The alchemist opened a room and Alessina blinked at the light.


Then stared at the flat pools of water, that contained strapped down sirens in rows. It took another moment for Alessina to register the awful smell of the room, and the dark colouring of the water.


"What is this?" She asked slowly.


"We are confident we can figure out everything about them. What hurts them, what could kill them." Sivvar's voice had taken on a reverent, feverish tone. "Please, follow me."


He walked over to an alchemist kneeling next to the edge of a pool.


Blood bloomed in the water as a student alchemist tore apart a dead siren's tail. The siren had glassy eyes and her light hair flowed gently in the water. Almost peaceful.


There was a flurry of restrained movement next to the dead siren.


Alessina forced her eyes to move on, to the live siren, gasping and spitting out the bloody water entering her mouth.


"See how the spine continues for them too, like ours, not like a fish's." The student alchemist's goggles and face had sprayed blood all over it. She continued cutting into the eviscerated flesh. "Ah!" The student alchemist held up a small, silvery sac. "An egg sac."


"Well done, Ervina. That's the most complete one you've retrieved yet."


Half in a daze, Alessina started estimating the numbers in the room. There were at least thirty sirens here, some deceased and torn up, and others struggling and crying out in their hoarse, odd voices.


Alessina felt her stomach turn, but not from the ship's movement. They were torturing and cutting them open in plain sight of each other.


The live siren, one of many in these pools, stared in horror at her sister.


To Alessina's shock, the siren started weeping.


"They...cry?" She asked, voice shaken and numb.


Sivvar choked out a laugh. "Let it not hurt your gentle heart, princess. They do many things, but none of it means anything."


The living siren sobbed, one strapped hand straining to touch her sister. Her face was eerily, devastingly beautiful. She had honey skin and deep brown eyes.


"One day, we'll be able to rid the world of these creatures." The alchemist promised Alessina, and the student alchemist nodded eagerly.


"Do they speak...our tongue?" Alessina asked, observing the pretty, human features the live siren had. She knew immediately, that she'd never forget her face.


"Princess, they can parrot words they've heard from us. One over there," The student alchemist pointed towards a far pool. "Kept saying ship because she heard us saying it. Some of them say words they heard from sailors they drowned."


"Oh." Alessina didn't know what was wrong with her. She felt foggy, faintly underwater. "How come they aren't singing? Fooling us?" She couldn't make herself sound authoritative right now.


Damn her weakness. How would she protect the empire from attackers, if she felt sorry for monsters?


"They need exposure to moonlight and sea water. The water here is a mix of fresh water and sea water. We're also trying to get rid of their tails." Sivvar replied, eager to satiate her curiosity. "I'm very pleased, your highness, that you favour alchemy. Perhaps-"


Alessina ignored him, watching the siren, whose crying had lessened. The siren stared at her, her eyes somehow big and innocent.


Like a naughty child, or puppy playing at wolf. Alessina noted that there was an extra layer over her eye. Probably how they kept them open.


Then she was disgusted at her clinical evaluation of the sirens.


The siren was still staring at her, both forlorn and somehow steely.


Alessina knelt by her, still ignoring the alchemists. They clearly felt pain. "I am sorry." She whispered lightly to the siren, and the siren looked back, listening carefully.


The siren opened her mouth and closed it, lips chapped from the gag that floated near her neck. "I-ah-ah-" She tried.


"Sir," The student alchemist said to Sivvar suddenly. "This siren's organs were damaged in the vivisection. Is it okay if I move onto the next?"


"Siren." The live siren parroted suddenly, and Alessina winced.


"A sign of great strength, that our princess can stomach this," Sivvar said gleefully, then sighed. "Ervina, why don't we let the princess dissect this one? She seems to have an interest."


Alessina felt her heart thud uncontrollably. The alchemists watched her expectantly.


No weakness. That's what her broken fingers should have taught her.


She slowly accepted the scalpel from the student alchemist.


"This is another step towards an eternal empire." Sivvar said behind her back. "You are truly your father's daughter."


His ruthless daughter, the steely one she saw in portraits but never saw in the mirror.


The siren saw the knife and started wildly flailing in the water. She hissed, her pretty face morphing into an awful, monstrous scowl.


"I'm sorry," Alessina mumbled quietly, in the language her mother spoke.


"I'm sorry!" The siren cried, her tail writhing away from Alessina, sending water splashing.


Alessina waited, and then carefully cut a line into her tail.


The siren screamed. "I'm sorry! Please, don't do it!"


"Hey, that's a new one." The student alchemist declared.


So we're both killers; how many sailors had begged this siren for their lives?


How many people would beg Alessina for their lives?


Alessina closed her eyes tiredly. And she stabbed the scalpel down.

June 16, 2022 04:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Iolanthe Muir
05:07 Jun 16, 2022

I think this is an interesting concept, I have a few criticisms, but firstly, are you a fan of sirens? Lots of your stories allude to, or contain references to sirens. One of my first criticisms: Lonely Calypso isn't italicized consistently, and I feel like Alessina's character is a little hard to understand or pin down. I did enjoy her moments of uneasiness and vulnerability though, very realistic.

Reply

Moon Lion
05:19 Jun 16, 2022

I am a bit of a fan, and prepare yourself for a mini-rant. Firstly, sirens are a symbol of femininity, temptation, mystery, and fear of the unknown and known. Simulatanutly they represent the Greek male fear and attraction to women, who are uniquely powerful and dangerous in ways that disenfranchised Greek women weren't. Secondly, sirens as an idea are very attractive to me ;), and an ex has always reminded me of siren-like behaviour. I'll catch the un-Italicised lonely calypsos, and I'll try and beef up Alessina's character and how she co...

Reply

JK Bowling
06:37 Jun 25, 2022

No, I love the rant. I didn't really think of sirens like that, but you're right. There are quite a few levels to their myth. Is there an origin story for them, by any chance? Intriguing that humans would create stories that indirectly discouraged exploration.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Iolanthe Muir
06:39 Jun 25, 2022

Thanks for replying and I think other people are also very pro-rant! Your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Salma Ghaidi
04:55 Jun 16, 2022

This was the weirdesst story I've ever read. But I think I liked it because i actually understood what you were setting up from the start.

Reply

Moon Lion
05:15 Jun 16, 2022

Hello reader 1, thanks for reading and commenting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mila Van Niekerk
12:33 Jun 22, 2022

Dang- this is really interesting, the world you've built is so cool! I love Alessina's line ''tell me how they float.'' idk why it just has a really nice ring to it, sounds IcOnIc. One thing is, I don't really like her name. I feel like it doesn't really suit her, and it doesn't read very nicely ya know? I don't have a better one, I just don't like ''Alessina''. Idk ig that's just my taste. ALSO Calypso hehe. I absolutely love her from Percy Jackson (we stan the mythological queen), and the shipname ''Lonely Calypso'' fits really well. I ...

Reply

Moon Lion
19:10 Jun 22, 2022

I will certainly leave feedback on your story! I agree, Alessina is kind of weird, probably because I made it up while on dramamine typing this in the car. But thankfully, I can change it now and will. The Lonely Calypso gets it name because all ships are quite alone, but on this one, there is a daughter exiled to a beautiful but horrifically isolating and dangerous ship due to her father's actions. Percy Jackson is awesome, and I cannot wait for the show. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
19:31 Jun 20, 2022

It's straight forward and in simple language. Easy to understand. Fine work.

Reply

Moon Lion
23:17 Jun 20, 2022

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
21:00 Jun 23, 2022

Pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bored Dragonguy
11:35 Jun 20, 2022

Why did Alessina think hiding/pretending to be sick would earn some kind of respect? Aside from that I actually did enjoy the story. Reminds me of the bio geeks in our classes who got squeamish during dissections. Will you submit this one?

Reply

Moon Lion
11:38 Jun 20, 2022

Hello! Thanks for your question. Firstly, she was just trying to avoid it because she knew she hadn't earned her position. Your anecdote is really amusing to me, as I puked my guts out after my first rat dissection. As you can see, I've got no shortage of bad ideas to make stories out of, but I do have a very real shortage of $5 to pay for maybe another 100 stories, so probably not. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eve Retter
04:57 Jun 19, 2022

Very glad we've sailed out of mopey territory back to your usual creepiness. I need more of Alessina, to be honest, because right now, I'm not getting a lot from her. Also why the Lonely Calypso? Why not our Lady blah blah? I know u hv a reason so spill it

Reply

Moon Lion
05:00 Jun 19, 2022

Calypso herself was a woman/titan who was banished to be lonely on an paradise-like island. So, Alessina similarly lives in a gilded, isolated cage. She's forced to suffer for the sins of her father, and her own action, much like Calypso. I will fix up Alessinas character

Reply

Eve Retter
06:08 Jun 20, 2022

Okay nerd. Also your changes were actually decent so good job

Reply

Moon Lion
09:11 Jun 20, 2022

I'm delighted the revisions have satisfied the lady ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ace Quinnton
22:18 Jun 17, 2022

This is incredible. Though, while reading this, a thought came into my head: Have you ever noticed that the usual fairy tale versions of these horrific myths (which hopefully they are) that there are several of them? Also, I was wondering why Alessina wanted to cut up such a magnificent creature, even though she felt bad of them. Was it out of pity, to end their misery? To live up to those expectations? What could it possibly be?

Reply

Moon Lion
04:55 Jun 19, 2022

Sorry do you mean, several versions of the same myth, or several iterations of the same mythical creature? Alessina (and I will make this more explicit) is struggling with several pressures. There's the lack of trust from the crew, the weight of the empire, and just plain disrespect for her. When she first sees the sirens she doesn't want to kill them, but she knows the crew would survive if the sirens were killed. There's an element of pity there too, but also, when the sirens begs don't do it, she realizes the sirens are killers too. So ...

Reply

Ace Quinnton
21:18 Jun 20, 2022

Several versions of the same myth, like the little mermaid in the Disney version was more kid friendly but the original was WAY darker and not meant for younger audiences. Ah yes, peer pressure and morals of hurting them to save the others. Sacrifice one thing, to help have the others prosper and conquer. Thank you so much for writing! I was getting a bit worried about you when you haven't been writing as often as you did before. Thought it might've been a hiatus or writers' block, but I'm glad you're back at it.

Reply

Moon Lion
23:16 Jun 20, 2022

Right the several versions are always interesting to look back on and compare how the minute details change the story. You are such a kind person, and it's really nice of you to say that. My writers block was just a case of drama and brooding, but I think it's over now.

Reply

Ace Quinnton
00:36 Jun 21, 2022

"The littlest things make the biggest impact." - Quote my father, because he's cheering me up since I was complaining about how short I am compared to other people. (I'm an average size, everyone else is TALL.) Thank goodness, at least now I know what it was. It's good to take a break sometimes and gather ideas. Don't be so hard on yourself to write when things are going on, it can be tough, but avoid burnout as much as possible. It's not good for your mental health when you overthink. (Yet, I do that myself. My brain: *cough* HYPOCRITE *co...

Reply

Moon Lion
04:40 Jun 21, 2022

I'm also comparatively much shorter than the people around me :/ but it is what it is. I'm glad you have someone that always keeps you going. Thank you for caring, and I am also happy to be back :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
07:56 Aug 28, 2022

There are a lot of goddesses and female symbols of deadly beauty that have disproportionate respect in cultures that repress femininity aren’t there, like sirens in Greek culture and goddesses like Kali who’s the goddess of destruction and at the same time motherhood but as with most mythologies only exists because of a male god king, Shiva. Greek mythology did have some awesome gods though, with far more personality and flaws than the later Roman versions. Their mythology also showed how casual mistreatment of women was as basically every m...

Reply

Moon Lion
14:14 Aug 28, 2022

Yes, despite the bestiality and commonplace mistreatment of women the Greek Gods are incredibly fascinating to write about and try and make sense of. In addition, they are so widely known that any cameos or stories about them are usually well understood. Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts!

Reply

Graham Kinross
16:10 Aug 28, 2022

It’s odd that of all the European religions of old, Greek and Norse are so well known but the others have been all but forgotten, a shame, we’ve lost some of the rich variety that existed as everything became monotheism.

Reply

Moon Lion
16:41 Aug 28, 2022

I think it's because all those traditions had some written record left behind, and classical religion was studied during the Renaissance. But it is very sad, some that art and storytelling would be amazing to rediscover. Honestly it's like we have a monoculture religious crop now too.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:56 Aug 28, 2022

Very true, quite boring. I like that it seemed that multi theistic cultures seemed more open to different ways of living as it was accepted the universe wasn’t dependent on one all knowing man with a beard who was a homophobic genocide enthusiast.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
14:55 Jun 24, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Moon Lion
19:48 Jun 24, 2022

Wow thank you so much for that high praise. Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.